PDA

View Full Version : Cooncil Darts (BDO)

Hibbie_Cameron
06-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Cant believe i still watch this garbage but yet again this year i find myself tuning in.

Much smaller field this year and the standard is garbage. The likes of Thornton, Stompe and King have went PDC and boy it shows. If any of the seeds managed to get knocked out then they should retire as the non seeds are just a shambles and look as if they have picked out of some random boozers.

Anyway, to the one positive tonight. A entertaining match between Wolfie Adams and some random. Entertaining in the shape that none of them could check out and needed about 9 attempts to finish on occasion.

A more moving moment so far has been the match between John Walton and Shaun Greatbatch. Greatbatch has cancer but decided to take part and put up a brave show despite the straight sets win. He was given a guard of honour as he left the stage. Was very moving indeed.

Even though the standard is guff, the BBC still treat this as THEE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. Tony Green ignores all mention of the PDC whilst Stubbsy has constant digs at those who move over.

Green is hilarious though with his comments. A guy last night took 27 darts to win a leg and Green commented that the standard this year was higher than ever:confused: He also thinks Wolfie Adams is the best English player around as he has captained England for the past 10+ years. Taylor could beat him with his eyes shut.

Anyone else watching it? Or am i sad and watching this alone?

Ally
06-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I've watched a bit of it, I don't have sky though so it doesn't seem that bad to me! Seeing are you're from Tranent you play for any of the pubs? Hopetoun in Ormiston had the plough team in tonight, not that I'm a member of the team mind you.

Hibbie_Cameron
06-01-2009, 12:46 AM
I've watched a bit of it, I don't have sky though so it doesn't seem that bad to me! Seeing are you're from Tranent you play for any of the pubs? Hopetoun in Ormiston had the plough team in tonight, not that I'm a member of the team mind you.

Na i dont play for a pub team. I do have a board and enjoy watching and playing. Used to practice a good bit on it but in the last year or say i have hardly played at all

sg7nil
06-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Cant believe i still watch this garbage but yet again this year i find myself tuning in.

Much smaller field this year and the standard is garbage. The likes of Thornton, Stompe and King have went PDC and boy it shows. If any of the seeds managed to get knocked out then they should retire as the non seeds are just a shambles and look as if they have picked out of some random boozers.

Anyway, to the one positive tonight. A entertaining match between Wolfie Adams and some random. Entertaining in the shape that none of them could check out and needed about 9 attempts to finish on occasion.

A more moving moment so far has been the match between John Walton and Shaun Greatbatch. Greatbatch has cancer but decided to take part and put up a brave show despite the straight sets win. He was given a guard of honour as he left the stage. Was very moving indeed.

Even though the standard is guff, the BBC still treat this as THEE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. Tony Green ignores all mention of the PDC whilst Stubbsy has constant digs at those who move over.

Green is hilarious though with his comments. A guy last night took 27 darts to win a leg and Green commented that the standard this year was higher than ever:confused: He also thinks Wolfie Adams is the best English player around as he has captained England for the past 10+ years. Taylor could beat him with his eyes shut.

Anyone else watching it? Or am i sad and watching this alone?

To be fair to them all, it is their job to present the BDO championship and if they were not to do it, they'd find some other person with no conscience who would,

It can't be easy trying to constantly pass off theirs as the REAL world championship, when the top players are nowhere to be seen. I agree that the standard this year has been particularly poor, some of the first round rabbits look as if they couldn't get a game for Gladstones!

The only thing that can be said for this "second division of darts" is that it (by it's very nature) will always produce more new players and the cream, once they get to the top will just move across to the real professional circuit.

DaveF
06-01-2009, 08:56 AM
To be fair to them all, it is their job to present the BDO championship and if they were not to do it, they'd find some other person with no conscience who would,

It can't be easy trying to constantly pass off theirs as the REAL world championship, when the top players are nowhere to be seen. I agree that the standard this year has been particularly poor, some of the first round rabbits look as if they couldn't get a game for Gladstones!

The only thing that can be said for this "second division of darts" is that it (by it's very nature) will always produce more new players and the cream, once they get to the top will just move across to the real professional circuit.

That's more or less what the BDO has been for a while now. I suspect that Gary Anderson will move over to the PDC after this tournament has ended and with him gone, there will be few left in the BDO who can consistently hit a mid 90 average.

Someone needs to tell Martin Fitzsimmons to shut up. His announcing 'talent' is nigh on cringeworthy and I'm sure all the players hate it.

Hank Schrader
06-01-2009, 09:23 AM
That's more or less what the BDO has been for a while now. I suspect that Gary Anderson will move over to the PDC after this tournament has ended and with him gone, there will be few left in the BDO who can consistently hit a mid 90 average.

Someone needs to tell Martin Fitzsimmons to shut up. His announcing 'talent' is nigh on cringeworthy and I'm sure all the players hate it.

I read somewhere that Gary Anderson is a Hibby. Someone on the Superstars of Darts forum seemed to know for sure.

Glad he got past the first round but I don't fancy him for the title. Scott Waites looks like a good bet to me.

Rumour has it that Anderson, Whitlock, Fitton, O Shea and Waites will head over to the PDC this year. Martin Adams will continue where he is as he has no time for the PDC, referring to it as "sports entertainment" and not proper sport.

Bunter
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I read somewhere that Gary Anderson is a Hibby. Someone on the Superstars of Darts forum seemed to know for sure.

Glad he got past the first round but I don't fancy him for the title. Scott Waites looks like a good bet to me.

Rumour has it that Anderson, Whitlock, Fitton, O Shea and Waites will head over to the PDC this year. Martin Adams will continue where he is as he has no time for the PDC, referring to it as "sports entertainment" and not proper sport.
I've always thought that was more because Adams knows his place in the scale of things. He'd never be good enough for the PDC (and he knows it), and at his age, he's unlikely to have the requisite improvement in his game.
If he tried to step up, would the PDC want him? Other than possibly a publicity coup; "English captain dumps BDO" sort of thing, I can't see it.

Hibbie_Cameron
06-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Anderson, Webster, Whitlock, Robson and one other are meant to be moving over as soon as the world championship is finished.

The startling figure is Co Stompe has made more in 6 months in the PDC than he did in the previous 2 1/2 years in BDO

rightwinger
06-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I enjoy watching both versions, but there's no doubt where the quality lies.

Phil Taylor aside, the BDO used to stand up quite well to the PDC but now the gulf between the two bodies is almost embarrassing in several respects.

There's no doubt that the PDC has taken darts to a new level, almost to the point where it is more popular than Snooker, and it would not surprise me to see the BDO subsumed into its rival 10 or 20 years from now. Particularly as the PDC is now producing its own players and has an excellent worldwide circuit.

There are good players in the BDO - the defectors have shown that they can compete and even Martin Adams did well when he played a few PDC events several years ago. The quality has always been spread more thinly, however.

Still, the 'World Champion' has always been the PDC victor. Part and Barneveld had to take their games to new levels to win their titles, while Dennis Priestley probably would have been a 5 or 6 time BDO World Champion had he stayed put. Priestley and Taylor were averaging over 100 in PDC finals over ten years ago. Taylor's now up to 110 while an average under 95 will doubtlessly be good enough to take the BDO crown.

The future of darts lies in the PDC and the entertainment value it offers is impressive.

Houchy
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
I've tried in years gone by to get into watching the cooncil darts but I just find that it's like watching the preliminary rounds or maybe an average 1st round match of the PDC at best.

I just can't get into it.

Granted, any one of them would beat me but I hold my hands up and say that when I was 14 and playing for Mr Q's, I was the worst player and only got a game because it was me and 5 mates from school that started (and remained) the team.

It's like watching bullseye:greengrin

Darth Hibbie
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Is it bad that I quite enjoy watching the council darts. Don't have sky sports so don't see the PDC. All I know is the guys I watch are miles better than me. :greengrin

Hibbie_Cameron
06-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Just heard a rumour that this years winner if not already defecting to the PDC will be offered a move plus one of the two remaining premier league places. In other words hell of a lot of money

Cod Boy
08-01-2009, 02:32 PM
i fancy daryl fitton to win it

New Corrie
08-01-2009, 05:38 PM

That was me who posted that, I was at an exhibition with Gary Robson and Gary Anderson and football cropped up and he confirmed to me that he is indeed a Hibs supporter albeit not exactly the home and away type. Very nice guy aswell and currently playing O'Shea on BBC2 (press the red button)

DaveF
08-01-2009, 06:30 PM
That was me who posted that, I was at an exhibition with Gary Robson and Gary Anderson and football cropped up and he confirmed to me that he is indeed a Hibs supporter albeit not exactly the home and away type. Very nice guy aswell and currently playing O'Shea on BBC2 (press the red button)

And currently having a nightmare!

New Corrie
08-01-2009, 07:20 PM
And currently having a nightmare!

Horrendous, he does seem to struggle on the big stage, he hit 2 nine darters in practice yet throws them all over the place when the cameras are on him. Not so sure his proposed move to the PDC will happen.

DaveF
08-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Anderson was terrible.

If he moves to the PDC, then he'll need to learn to cope with the pressure better, practice his doubles more and find some more consistency.

In other words - Improve dramatically.

Tonight, he was gash.

noddy1988
08-01-2009, 09:41 PM
cant see past the dazzler now!

Hank Schrader
09-01-2009, 12:33 PM

Ahh, so it was you!! Good to know he is a Hibby:wink:

Gary seems like a sound guy but shy as well. Although very pleasant when interviewed you can always tell he isn't comfortable in front of the camera. Its no surprise that he is a great performer on the floor/non televised events and poor in the televised ones (Grand Slam of Darts the exception)

I hope he does move to the PDC. It would be silly of me to compare him to Phil Taylor but on his day Gary is as good as any of the guys ranked below Taylor in the PDC, Barneveld, Wade, T Jenkins.

Now my tip Waites has gone out I don't know who will win the BDO, wouldn't mind seeing Fitton win and if rumours are true that will give him a place in the PDC Premier League which he is tipped to join.