PDA

View Full Version : Sports Personality (again)

derekHFC
09-12-2008, 02:22 PM
This is on Sunday and is set to be one of the biggest carve ups of modern time surely.

The bookies (who aint often wrong) have Rebecca Adlington as favourite at 10/11, Lewis Hamilton second favourite at 15/8 and Chris Hoy as third favourite at 3/1.

Not being funny, but surely Hoy's achievements are a lot more fitting for this title that Adlington or Hamilton. Or is it simply a case of where the respective "starts" were born?

Barney McGrew
09-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Or is it simply a case of where the respective "starts" were born?

:agree:

If Hoy was born in middle England and Adlington in Glasgow, then you can bet your bottom dollar Chris would be favourite

Hibbie_Cameron
10-12-2008, 09:19 PM
I nearly had a heart attack when i heard Calzaghe won it a few years back.

Why the BBC bum this pish up to the high heavens, ill never know

Hank Schrader
10-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I went off it two years ago when Zara Phillips won for sitting on the back of a ******ing horse.

Removed
10-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I went off it two years ago when Zara Phillips won for sitting on the back of a ******ing horse.

:agree: but no difference sitting inside an F1 car imo

GhostofBolivar
11-12-2008, 05:17 AM
This is on Sunday and is set to be one of the biggest carve ups of modern time surely.

The bookies (who aint often wrong) have Rebecca Adlington as favourite at 10/11, Lewis Hamilton second favourite at 15/8 and Chris Hoy as third favourite at 3/1.

Not being funny, but surely Hoy's achievements are a lot more fitting for this title that Adlington or Hamilton. Or is it simply a case of where the respective "starts" were born?

I think Becky Adlington would be a more than worthy winner.

First British women to win a swimming gold since 1960. Only British swimmer to win 2 golds in a hundred years - breaking an existing world record by 2 full seconds while destroying the competition in the process. She was just as big a star at the Olympics as Hoy and her achievements deserve as much recognition as his.

For someone so indignant that a sportsman might be slighted - in your mind, purely because he is Scots - you seem to be intent at bringing down the achievements of others simply because they are not Scots.

Ironic, no?

derekHFC
12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I think Becky Adlington would be a more than worthy winner.

First British women to win a swimming gold since 1960. Only British swimmer to win 2 golds in a hundred years - breaking an existing world record by 2 full seconds while destroying the competition in the process. She was just as big a star at the Olympics as Hoy and her achievements deserve as much recognition as his.

For someone so indignant that a sportsman might be slighted - in your mind, purely because he is Scots - you seem to be intent at bringing down the achievements of others simply because they are not Scots.

Ironic, no?

No, i believe that Hoy should win the award because IMHO, his achievements this year are more worthy of the award than Adlington's.

I couldn't care less if she came from England, Ireland, Wales, Scotland or Gorgie, Hoy's achievements are greater (again IMHO) :wink:

stu in nottingham
13-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I live around ten miles away from Rebecca Adlington's home town of Mansfield, Notts. I'll be kind and say that Mansfield needs every bit of good news it can get. Certainly a town that has not had it's troubles to seek.

I think Becky would make an excellent choice for this award. She is an extremely dedicated athlete and a very ordinary, personable and modest girl. A great sportswoman in it's truest sense.

Three Cheers for Golden Girl, Rebecca Adlington (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/three-cheers-for-golden-girl-rebecca-addlington/)

Danderhall Hibs
13-12-2008, 04:44 PM

How are his achievements better? Hamilton's was won over a full season, Hoy's were won over 7 days. One of Hoy's medals was from a team race so he has the same number of golds as the swimmer.

The chip on the shoulder stuff bores me. At the end of the day it's a public vote - more people obviously consider Addlington and Hamilton's achievements to be greater.

I nearly had a heart attack when i heard Calzaghe won it a few years back.

Why?

GhostofBolivar
14-12-2008, 05:36 AM
I live around ten miles away from Rebecca Adlington's home town of Mansfield, Notts. I'll be kind and say that Mansfield needs every bit of good news it can get. Certainly a town that has not had it's troubles to seek.

I think Becky would make an excellent choice for this award. She is an extremely dedicated athlete and a very ordinary, personable and modest girl. A great sportswoman in it's truest sense.

Three Cheers for Golden Girl, Rebecca Adlington (http://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/three-cheers-for-golden-girl-rebecca-addlington/)

That's the other thing. She seems to have far more personality than the other two.

deek
14-12-2008, 06:57 AM

That's the other thing. She seems to have far more personality than the other two.

And she does have a bit of scottish in her :duck:

Gatecrasher
14-12-2008, 04:13 PM
i hope lewis wins it, he deserves it

Sean1875
14-12-2008, 06:01 PM
why is the title music Live and Let Die? :confused:

Removed
14-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Now that was a shock - well done Chris Hoy:thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
14-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Well done that man :thumbsup:

CropleyWasGod
14-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Here.... take the tissue and wipe the egg off your face :greengrin

Gatecrasher
15-12-2008, 05:14 PM
well done Hoy

a few folk eating their words i think :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2008, 05:17 PM
well done Hoy

a few folk eating their words i think :wink:

Alex Salmond has a lot to answer for - the amount of folk I heard say before this that "Hoy has no chance because he's Scottish". How silly do they look now?

Salmond-itis has a lot to answer for.

Gatecrasher
15-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Alex Salmond has a lot to answer for - the amount of folk I heard say before this that "Hoy has no chance because he's Scottish". How silly do they look now?

Salmond-itis has a lot to answer for.
:tee hee:

Cod Boy
15-12-2008, 05:32 PM
phil taylor will win it next year:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
15-12-2008, 07:48 PM

:hilarious

He won't even win the world title this year.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2008, 02:49 PM
I know i'm a bit late but i'd just like to pass on my congratulations to Chris Hoy. What he achieved in Beijing was outstanding and he fully merits the recognition that he has received since then, culminating with him winning the BBC SPOTY award.

Lewis Hamilton did well, although i'm a bit sceptical about giving such an award to an F1 driver as I think it's much more to do with the car you drive than your driving skills, although I accept that there is a lot of skill involved in doing what he does.

I thought Hamilton was a stick on for this award so for Hoy to get it restores a bit of faith in the whole ceremony, for me.

Hank Schrader
16-12-2008, 03:19 PM

I like your sense of humour :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
16-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I thought Hamilton was a stick on for this award so for Hoy to get it restores a bit of faith in the whole ceremony, for me.

It's a public vote so if Hoy hadn't won noone could've complained.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2008, 07:36 PM
It's a public vote so if Hoy hadn't won noone could've complained.

Yes I know that. However I still thought that the public would have voted for Lewis Hamilton. I'm glad that i've been proved wrong.

Cod Boy
17-12-2008, 06:27 PM
:hilarious

He won't even win the world title this year.

your right there the final is 1st january 2009:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
17-12-2008, 06:35 PM
your right there the final is 1st january 2009:wink:

:na na: "this coming year"

Cod Boy
17-12-2008, 06:37 PM
:na na: "this coming year"

ive bet james wade to win it:pray: