PDA

View Full Version : NFL Superbowl

HibeeMcGinn1
19-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Who else follows it then? and who do you think will win?

Sylar
19-11-2008, 03:44 PM
If they keep their run going, I like the Titans this year - solid defense and they know how to get the offense going at the moment as well. Sitting 10-0 with a great chance of making the play-offs. Bit too early to be calling the winners of the Superbowl yet though!

Houchy
19-11-2008, 04:06 PM
If they keep their run going, I like the Titans this year - solid defense and they know how to get the offense going at the moment as well. Sitting 10-0 with a great chance of making the play-offs. Bit too early to be calling the winners of the Superbowl yet though!

:agree:I've thrown a bit too much cash at this so far:bitchy:

Looking back at my betting bistory, I started off fancying the Steelers for some unknown reason.That was £10 at 18's. Must have been pashed:agree:

They took a couple of defeats so layed it off at 17's to back Dallas at 8's and again they looked shaky so layed at 12's.

Finally, I've chucked (after a good weekend bets wise) £30 on the Giants at 5's. I do think the Titans are looking very good but just think that the Giants have the experience and drive to pick up a successive Lombardi trophy.

Perth Hibee
19-11-2008, 04:19 PM
going to jets broncos next weekend, jets look good with favre at qb, would be a fitting story for him to win the superbowl!!! :thumbsup:

Fat Stu
19-11-2008, 09:21 PM
cant see past the giants just now although they say that defences do well in the play offs, if so i have a sneaky feeling that the steelers will do well.

Houchy
21-11-2008, 10:32 AM
going to jets broncos next weekend, jets look good with favre at qb, would be a fitting story for him to win the superbowl!!! :thumbsup:

Shoosht you ya sentimental git... did you no' read my post!!!:greengrin

NYHibby
21-11-2008, 08:58 PM

Michigan? Getting ready to lose to Ohio State tomorrow? I, on the other hand, am getting ready to celebrate my alma mater and Penn State both wrapping up league crowns.

Haymaker
21-11-2008, 10:56 PM
If its possible, titans - Giants would be an awesome final. Both look good, but im still hoping the Pats come through, Cassel is coming good after early nerves.

Fat Stu
22-11-2008, 02:22 PM
If its possible, titans - Giants would be an awesome final. Both look good, but im still hoping the Pats come through, Cassel is coming good after early nerves.

simple fact is that cassel isn't good enough to win the super bowl his inability to throw a 20y pass is unbelievable, add to the injury woes the pats have had, especially at running/tail back and I just can't see it.

and yes a titans giants superbowl is possible.

Just Jimmy
22-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Hopefully the Giants. Last year was epic since everyone wrote them off.

If Eli stays fit and can continue as he has, hopefully with a late flurry come superbowl time we should be ok.

Perth Hibee
23-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Michigan? Getting ready to lose to Ohio State tomorrow? I, on the other hand, am getting ready to celebrate my alma mater and Penn State both wrapping up league crowns.

Did it in style too, man i hate Ohio State!!! :brickwall

Arizona state alumni here :thumbsup:

Sylar
24-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Did it in style too, man i hate Ohio State!!! :brickwall

Arizona state alumni here :thumbsup:

Not as much as me :boo hoo: I spent a year at Michigan in 2004 - superb place to study/live! Ann Arbor is a beautiful wee place!

Anyway,

This has to be THE worst Michigan team in it's long history! Sheridan just isn't a good QB and Rodriguez has absolutely NO confidence in the offense whatsoever. 14 seconds to go in the first half - our offense is in 4th down, with 48 yards to go, and he makes us punt it! He should have went for it - no question - at least he should have attempted a field goal! The worst that could happen would be that Ohio intercept the damned thing and we shut them down!

Thankfully, a lot of Ohio State's key players are seniors and will move on after this season - James Laurenitis and Chris Wells will surely move onto the NFL in the coming draft - as much as I despise them, these are 2 stand out players who dominated us on Saturday and in years gone by.

On a plus note for me, the Patriots absolutely crushed the Dolphins - suitable victory after they beat us quite comfortably at Foxboro' earlier this season!

Haymaker
24-11-2008, 04:58 PM
simple fact is that cassel isn't good enough to win the super bowl his inability to throw a 20y pass is unbelievable, add to the injury woes the pats have had, especially at running/tail back and I just can't see it.

and yes a titans giants superbowl is possible.

Im clutching at straws for the pats i know :boo hoo:

You are quite right about cassel but he has improved, I saw the game against Tampa pre-season and he was worryingly bad. But he has improved since he came in. Im pinning my hopes on the new kid we got at QB in the draft to take over from Brady.

Sylar
24-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Im clutching at straws for the pats i know :boo hoo:

You are quite right about cassel but he has improved, I saw the game against Tampa pre-season and he was worryingly bad. But he has improved since he came in. Im pinning my hopes on the new kid we got at QB in the draft to take over from Brady.

To be fair, Cassel plays well when he gets the coverage. If he's rushed, he seems to panic, but when he has time to assess the field, he actually looks comfortable - take yesterday as a prime example - he looked so comfortable and completed several distance throws to Moss, resulting in 3 TD's.

Our offensive line is our main problem this season - which has continued over since the Superbowl vs the Giants last year - it was our weakest area! Granted, losing Brady hasn't helped this year, but it's unfair to say that the basis of the Patriots success is reliant on one man - he's an integral part, but it's the failure of the 3 units which has cost us overall!

Fat Stu
24-11-2008, 11:13 PM
To be fair, Cassel plays well when he gets the coverage. If he's rushed, he seems to panic, but when he has time to assess the field, he actually looks comfortable - take yesterday as a prime example - he looked so comfortable and completed several distance throws to Moss, resulting in 3 TD's.

Our offensive line is our main problem this season - which has continued over since the Superbowl vs the Giants last year - it was our weakest area! Granted, losing Brady hasn't helped this year, but it's unfair to say that the basis of the Patriots success is reliant on one man - he's an integral part, but it's the failure of the 3 units which has cost us overall!

Actually the most impresive game cassals has had this season. That was another issue I had with him was I didnt feel he properly utilised Moss, who is one of if not the best WR in the game, proved me wrong yesterday.

Was also shocked at how well the giants played yesterday, thought that they would struggle against the cardinals O and they suprised me no end.

Haymaker
25-11-2008, 06:32 PM

Not reliant but he is a huge part of our O game. He is top level, experienced and im sure the O line were confident every time he called a play. Cassel has come in and the confidence would need to be built between them etc.

Think we also miss Samuel myself, i rated him on our D.

Perth Hibee
27-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Just watching the Thanksgiving game from Detroit. 4 plays in and toucdown Tennesse. Posted missing....detroit defence!! :confused:

Haymaker
27-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Just watching the Thanksgiving game from Detroit. 4 plays in and toucdown Tennesse. Posted missing....detroit defence!! :confused:

I reckon the Titans may go all the way this year, thankfully they lost so they cant beat the pats record!

HibsMax
03-12-2008, 01:05 PM
I always fancy the Pats, even though it looks tough for us to even make the playoffs. I was stoked after Cassel had back2back 400 yard passing games but I was quickly put in my place last Sunday. We made the Steelers look real good. You can't win a game when you turn the ball over that easily. Sheesh!

Fat Stu
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
recent news about Plaxico Burress is a bit of a shocker for the Giants, might just be the difference to the giants winning the thing.

Just Jimmy
04-12-2008, 01:42 AM
recent news about Plaxico Burress is a bit of a shocker for the Giants, might just be the difference to the giants winning the thing.

Giants do adversity. Hopefully this won't affect us too much, but it is a worry. A win this weekend and hopefully we can push on. Hixon looks good, he'll most like come in as Plax replacement. Question is can he fill it long term?

Hope so.

Sylar
04-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Just as a wee aside - next year's NFL UK game has been announced as the Tampa Bay Bucs vs New England Pats.

Front row and centre :thumbsup:

Sylar
07-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Giants do adversity. Hopefully this won't affect us too much, but it is a worry. A win this weekend and hopefully we can push on. Hixon looks good, he'll most like come in as Plax replacement. Question is can he fill it long term?

Hope so.

Downed by the Eagles at Giant Stadium - wonderful :thumbsup:

Just Jimmy
08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Downed by the Eagles at Giant Stadium - wonderful :thumbsup:

Yep, disapointing but still only a 6 point loss. Was a tight game and whilst we came up short we're still 11-2 and clinched the divison thanks to the other results.

I'd have taken that at the start of the season.

Between now and superbowl, just need to wait and see.

Haymaker
08-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Just as a wee aside - next year's NFL UK game has been announced as the Tampa Bay Bucs vs New England Pats.

Front row and centre :thumbsup:

Im there! Go Pats!

The_Todd
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Since the Penguins are my NHL team I've adpoted the Steelers as my NFL team.

May as well be consistent!

NYHibby
09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Since the Penguins are my NHL team I've adpoted the Steelers as my NFL team.

May as well be consistent!

Going to go with the Pirates as your baseball team? May be accused of glory hunting if you don't.

The_Todd
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Going to go with the Pirates as your baseball team? May be accused of glory hunting if you don't.

Meh. I don't think I can be bothered with Baseball. But if I did, I would go with the Pirates! :greengrin

Haymaker
30-12-2008, 02:36 PM
So... the playoffs are upon us! Still going for the Titans in the bowl.

HibsMax
30-12-2008, 06:45 PM
So... the playoffs are upon us! Still going for the Titans in the bowl.
Very happy with the way the season ended for us (Pats) but also bitterly disappointed at getting so close and missing out on a tie-breaker. Cassel did a great job against all the odds and I don't think he can be blamed. We dropped more than a few passes, important passes that could have won us games but what goes around comes around. I'm sure we've had our fair share of good fortune too. ;) 16 games isn't enough for me but watching "other" teams in the Playoffs does little for me. I might stick my nose in once we get past the first round.

Haymaker
30-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Very happy with the way the season ended for us (Pats) but also bitterly disappointed at getting so close and missing out on a tie-breaker. Cassel did a great job against all the odds and I don't think he can be blamed. We dropped more than a few passes, important passes that could have won us games but what goes around comes around. I'm sure we've had our fair share of good fortune too. ;) 16 games isn't enough for me but watching "other" teams in the Playoffs does little for me. I might stick my nose in once we get past the first round.

Cassel did ok, i have a feeling he will be on his way to the Jets now he has proven himself decent unless Favre wants to continue.

CalgaryHibs
03-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Keep one eye on the Colts, they been under the radar all season with everyone focus on the Giants.

my teams had a brutal year:grr:

Haymaker
03-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Keep one eye on the Colts, they been under the radar all season with everyone focus on the Giants.

If the Colts stop LT tmw they will go through

CalgaryHibs
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
If the Colts stop LT tmw they will go through

San Diego is head scratching team they look good last season and big hope this year but finished 8-8 and they are in the playoffs? LT is the man there and yoor rite Payton Manning will have be great to pass San Diego.

Just Jimmy
06-01-2009, 01:10 AM

oh well, second rate manning is gone. Leaves wee bro to do it again I suppose.

bELIeve

Sylar
06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Cassel did ok, i have a feeling he will be on his way to the Jets now he has proven himself decent unless Favre wants to continue.

Pats have applied their franchise label onto both him and Brady, which is a superb security move! $14 million for Cassel and $15 million on Brady - a combined insurance package of $29 million!

If Brady gains his fitness back (which appears a bit touch and go, going by the reports), then Cassel will be moved on, no doubt - trading either one of them will ensure a 1st round and 3rd round (I think) draft pick though, plus the money, which would be a superb position for the Pats to be in!

I personally reckon Belichick and the franchise will stand by Brady and trade Cassel - I personally can see him moving on to the Lions, who will be DESPERATE to find decent replacements for both their existing QB's as both Kitna and Culpepper were brutal this season!

All things considered this season, I reckon there's a lot to look forward to for Patriots fans next year!

Interesting shape developing to the playoffs - Im still liking the Titans just now, although they'll have a difficult task in removing the Ravens from the playoffs, after they quite impressively bowled over Miami at Dolphin stadium on Sunday. I reckon whoever wins that matchup will go on to win the superbowl.

Just Jimmy
06-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Pats have applied their franchise label onto both him and Brady, which is a superb security move! $14 million for Cassel and $15 million on Brady - a combined insurance package of $29 million!

If Brady gains his fitness back (which appears a bit touch and go, going by the reports), then Cassel will be moved on, no doubt - trading either one of them will ensure a 1st round and 3rd round (I think) draft pick though, plus the money, which would be a superb position for the Pats to be in!

I personally reckon Belichick and the franchise will stand by Brady and trade Cassel - I personally can see him moving on to the Lions, who will be DESPERATE to find decent replacements for both their existing QB's as both Kitna and Culpepper were brutal this season!

All things considered this season, I reckon there's a lot to look forward to for Patriots fans next year!

Interesting shape developing to the playoffs - Im still liking the Titans just now, although they'll have a difficult task in removing the Ravens from the playoffs, after they quite impressively bowled over Miami at Dolphin stadium on Sunday. I reckon whoever wins that matchup will go on to win the superbowl.

all good shouts, Only other teams I could see going for Cassell, based on this year may well be the Ram or the Jets depending on Mr 'no I in team' Farve.

Giants v Ravens superbowl i think (hope).

Haymaker
07-01-2009, 01:32 PM

The injury to Brady is going to be tough to come back from but i hope he will back. Might be worth holding on to Cassel until the end of the trading just in case? Cassel might go to the Lions, i forgot they would want to get anyone who can throw a pass for next season.

I was very impressed with the Ravens over the Dolphins and I agree, winner of that game will go all the way.

Anyone got any hot tips for the Draft this year?

PhoenixHibee
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Cardinals Will probably be out by tomorrow but here's hoping for a surprise against Carolina! At least they are a little better this year.

Sylar
11-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Surprise surprise - Eagles bounce the Giants out of the playoffs at Giant stadium.

I've said a few times this season that the Giants aren't good enough to go to the Superbowl again, and today proved why. Like the Patriots last season, the Giants offensive line offered absolutely no protection to Manning, and when he's pressured, he makes so many mistakes its not funny. All QB's will struggle when they're rushed, but he was throwing poor passes all over the shop today, even in situations when the rush was being blocked.

Eagles showed some good offense today and held a solid defensive line when the need arose. I was rather impressed with how efficiently the Eagles got to Manning and continued to hound him throughout the game.

Was surprised the Ravens bounced the Titans out of the playoffs, but the game went as expected I guess, with very little opportunity for either team to score, with both defenses coming out on top. A good upset for the Cardinals against the Panthers as well! Philadelphia vs Arizona in Arizona will indeed be a good match up.

Currently watching yet another close match between the Chargers and the Steelers - a good game which really could go either way at the moment!!

Just Jimmy
12-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Not a major surprise, disapointing tho. Added to hibs result today.

Ravens will hopefully meet arizona in the superbowl and win it now.

Eli played poor today, the wind never helped but it was the same for both sides.

For me the sole reason the Giants never made the Superbowl was Plaxico Burress. 11-1 before. 1 win in 5 after....

mickeythehibbee
12-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Surprise surprise - Eagles bounce the Giants out of the playoffs at Giant stadium.

I've said a few times this season that the Giants aren't good enough to go to the Superbowl again, and today proved why. Like the Patriots last season, the Giants offensive line offered absolutely no protection to Manning, and when he's pressured, he makes so many mistakes its not funny. All QB's will struggle when they're rushed, but he was throwing poor passes all over the shop today, even in situations when the rush was being blocked.

Eagles showed some good offense today and held a solid defensive line when the need arose. I was rather impressed with how efficiently the Eagles got to Manning and continued to hound him throughout the game.

Was surprised the Ravens bounced the Titans out of the playoffs, but the game went as expected I guess, with very little opportunity for either team to score, with both defenses coming out on top. A good upset for the Cardinals against the Panthers as well! Philadelphia vs Arizona in Arizona will indeed be a good match up.

Currently watching yet another close match between the Chargers and the Steelers - a good game which really could go either way at the moment!!

:agree: Totally agree. after seeing him play in the superbowl last year i thought he was relatively p!sh right up until about the last quarter. Was absolutely shocked by him winning MVP.

All the hype being thrown around about him is insane and he is ultimately nothing more than a slightly above average QB who had a good spell in one match and managed to aet up a career from it.

All IMHO of course! :wink:

Haymaker
12-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Peyton is the better brother. the only thing that helped the giants win the superbowl last year IMO was their beastly defensive line.

I was going for the titans but now... i reckon its the Ravens.

Fat Stu
13-01-2009, 08:15 PM
made the prediction earlier steelers will win the superbowl.

NYHibby
16-01-2009, 05:46 AM
I grew up equal distances from Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Baltimore. I'm looking forward to seeing how this weekend turns out.

CalgaryHibs
17-01-2009, 01:59 AM
can yoo beleive this it could be a Philly Pitts final????

this is my bet:wink:

Sylar
18-01-2009, 10:23 PM
can yoo beleive this it could be a Philly Pitts final????

this is my bet:wink:

That's one half of your bet out the window.

I get the feeling that the 2nd part of that bet will get blown away in the next couple of hours as well :wink:

CalgaryHibs
18-01-2009, 10:34 PM
yeh yoor rite,

Zona are the worst playoff team and there in the superbowl, cannae figure this one:hmmm:

CalgaryHibs
18-01-2009, 10:35 PM
That's one half of your bet out the window.

I get the feeling that the 2nd part of that bet will get blown away in the next couple of hours as well :wink:

the way things are going yoor probally rite,

Zona and Balitmore in the final???????

Just Jimmy
19-01-2009, 02:19 AM
ravens gone.

pitts v cardials superbowl then.

Good luck to Arizona.

The_Horde
19-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Really enjoyed the first match although i would have preferred philadelphia to win (purely for the colours :greengrin).

Second match was pretty boring to be honest, aside from some really hard hits i was almost sleeping.

That Mcgahee guy took one hell of a hit, anyone got any news on how he's doing?

The_Todd
19-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Mon the Steelers! :thumbsup:

PhoenixHibee
19-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Arizona may well have been thought of as the worst play-off team but man they have done very well.
Last 3 games not many people gave them a chance.
Yesterday when they lost 19 points in a row they probably easily could have folded and lost.
In the final though and hopefully Tampa will be too warm and humid for Pittsburgh Steelers.
Underdogs yet again but you never know!

Hibee_Bouncer
20-01-2009, 08:38 PM
As an eagles fan i am gutted, our defence had been outstanding and when we needed them to keep going it kinda fell apart, Fitzgerald was unstoppable! Still, to go from such a poor run of form in the middle of the season to then do the impossible and get into the playoffs I am still fairly happy with the way our season has gone.:agree:

ps Steelers to win the Superbowl ;)

Haymaker
20-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Im backing the Cardinals as the under dogs.

mickeythehibbee
23-01-2009, 08:17 AM
As an eagles fan i am gutted, our defence had been outstanding and when we needed them to keep going it kinda fell apart, Fitzgerald was unstoppable! Still, to go from such a poor run of form in the middle of the season to then do the impossible and get into the playoffs I am still fairly happy with the way our season has gone.:agree:

ps Steelers to win the Superbowl ;)

Damn straight he was freaking awesome!! Did anyone else see the other wide reciever getting really p!ssedhe was never getting the ball!:thumbsup:

I hope he can bust out another awesome offensive display in the superbowl so we don't end up with the damp squib we had last year :bitchy:

greenlex
30-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Right I start nightshift Monday night so am able to fart around late Sunday night. I think I will stay up and watch the Superbowl.

As a newbie whats what with the scoring etc. In short I need an idiots guide to American Football.
ps how long is the game liable to last?

Fat Stu
30-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Right I start nightshift Monday night so am able to fart around late Sunday night. I think I will stay up and watch the Superbowl.

As a newbie whats what with the scoring etc. In short I need an idiots guide to American Football.

Basics are they have 4 plays to move the ball 10 yards or more, if successful that they get for more chance to do so. If tthey fail then he other team gets the ball in the position were the last play ended. As such many time they will use there 4th play to either punt the ball away or if close enough kick a field goal(kick the ball through the posts). The object of the game is to get the ball in the endzone.

A touch down is worth 6 points and the the resulting field goal is worth 1point.
A field goal is worth 3 points.

If you have sky and interactive then go on it before the game as I am sure they have a bit dedicated to the rules of the game.

Houchy
30-01-2009, 09:35 PM

You're in for the long haul lex. 3 hours for the game not including 30 minutes for the half time show.

Sky do a good thing for newbies telling you the basics ie 6 pts for a touch down which then lets you go for a bonus point by kicking the ball through the uprights (like a conversion in rugby) and 3 points for a field goal (like a penalty in rugby). The attacking team has 4 "downs" (attempts) to gain 10 yards down the pitch where, if they don't make it, they'll usually "punt" to force the other team back towards their own goal line. That's about all the basics I can think of now which should allow you to enjoy the game.

The game is only scheduled for 60 minutes (4x15 minute quarters) but with all the clock stopages (if a pass is not caught for example or somebody runs out of play), probably lasts 3 hours as I say.

Really easy game to get into and enjoy. It's quite a show.:agree:

CalgaryHibs
31-01-2009, 04:21 AM
Im backing the Cardinals as the under dogs.

I hope they lose this, Zona is the worse team in the playoffs.

GhostofBolivar
31-01-2009, 05:41 AM
You're in for the long haul lex. 3 hours for the game not including 30 minutes for the half time show.

30 minute half time show with Bruce Springsteen :thumbsup:

TV normally has a bright yellow line showing how far a team has to go to get a new set of downs. This is very helpful.

On any given down teams can:

a) give the ball to a running back who plows forward as far as he can go before several enormous defenders pummel him to the ground.
b) Make 1 forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage to a designated receiver - normally one of four or five options.
c) make as many passes as they like as long as the ball travels backwards. In essence, they can play rugby.

If the ball goes out of play, the ball carrier is knocked to the ground or tackled or a forward pass falls incomplete, the play is dead and the attacking team loses a down, unless they have gained enough distance for a first down. For example. 2nd and 7 means it's second down and they need 7 yards to get a new set of downs. 3rd and 20 means they are either very bad or very naughty.

On average a team will gain about 5 yards per play.

Consequently, teams should go for it on 4th down more often.

The attacking team will generally line up with:

1 Quarterback - Who throws the ball.
1 Running back - aka The halfback. Self-explanatory.
1 Fullback - Blocks for the halfback. Gets no credit for halfback's success.
1-2 Tight ends - Receivers whose principal purpose is to be the source of jokes about their job title.
2-4 Wide receivers - Glory boys who pout a lot if they don't get the ball.
5 Linemen - Stop the opposing team from dismembering the quarterback.

Against this, defending teams typically line up:

1-2 Tackles - Fat *******s.
2 Defensive ends - Man mountains who are scarily quick for their size.
3-4 Linebackers - Brick outhouses who are very angry and would like to introduce you to their friend pain.
2 Cornerbacks - Failed wide receivers, now defend against them.
2 Safetys - Human torpedos.

But there are many defensive set ups where they play extra safetys and corners at the expense of other positions. Typically they'll do this when they expect the attacking team to pass the ball.

Popular terminology:

Fumble - The ballcarrier has just dropped the ball. This may or may not be because he's unconscious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVKceyUbmE)
Interception - The quarterback is terrible (and/or Troy Polamalu's awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlFqdjYqu4))
Blitz - The defence sends many of it's players to stomp the quarterback's head into the ground.
Sack - When a blitz works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP9_I99jqTI)
Meast - Man-Beast aka Larry Fitzgerald (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmYmhI2hO0)
Shotgun - The quarterback is frightened of the defence and wants to stand as far away from them as possible. Or, he has grown tired of fondling his lineman's tight ass. Or, the attacking team is about to pass the ball.
No-huddle - The attacking team is trying to rush the defence in the hope that the D will make a mess of things. The D, being made up of fat men who don't like being forced to move at speed do not like this.
Special Teams - This is an equal opportunities sport. The players who aren't good enough to play all the time get a chance on kick-offs and punts to try to earn a spot with the big boys (see also: Devin Hester (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2SpdESsTXo))
Two-minute warning - The Russians have gone to war, so the game will stop at the 2-minute mark in each half for some valuable advertising time. This is in addition to the 3 timeouts in each half teams can use to see if the new BMW looks cool.
Challenge - aka The red flag. A coach thinks the referee's wrong. Works on the same principle as challenges in tennis. Obviously impractical in the SPL where every decision made by the referee would be overturned. Note: if San Diego head coach Norv Turner throws the flag, the referee is right.
Unnecessary Roughness; Interference; Holding; False-start; Illegal Motion - Types of foul penalised by a loss of yardage and/or down. Similarities to a variety of sexual offences is purely coincidental.
Fair Catch - On kickoffs, the receiving team can elect to fair catch and prevent the kicking team from decapitating the person that catches the ball. Like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUo2MDngJE) If they do the play is dead and they take over at the point of the catch.

greenlex
31-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys. Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Just Jimmy
01-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Damn straight he was freaking awesome!! Did anyone else see the other wide reciever getting really p!ssedhe was never getting the ball!:thumbsup:

I hope he can bust out another awesome offensive display in the superbowl so we don't end up with the damp squib we had last year :bitchy:

Last year was awesome thanks :greengrin

Giants won, suits me. Was excellent to wipe the grin of the smug faces of the patroits, and the fact everyone who clear knew nothing about anything wrote us off. Excellent...

Sylar
01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Last year was awesome thanks :greengrin

Giants won, suits me. Was excellent to wipe the grin of the smug faces of the patroits, and the fact everyone who clear knew nothing about anything wrote us off. Excellent...

Ach, goan just piss aff :wink: - I don't think we were smug at all last year - I'll grant that a lot of our fans seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion (after we mauled you during the regular season at Foxborough), but the players continually kept playing the whole "undefeated" and "favourite" tag down whenever it was raised - they almost appeared embarassed by it all!

I don't just say this because you beat us, but last year was bloody brutal to watch. The Giants defense won them the superbowl last year. That's not a criticism - their strength was in defense and they used it well, but it doesn't make for good neutral observation!

I have utterly no investment in either team this year and have classes on Monday morning, so I doubt i'm going to bother watching it this year.

Houchy
01-02-2009, 07:38 PM

TV normally has a bright yellow line showing how far a team has to go to get a new set of downs. This is very helpful.

a) give the ball to a running back who plows forward as far as he can go before several enormous defenders pummel him to the ground.
b) Make 1 forward pass from behind the line of scrimmage to a designated receiver - normally one of four or five options.
c) make as many passes as they like as long as the ball travels backwards. In essence, they can play rugby.

If the ball goes out of play, the ball carrier is knocked to the ground or tackled or a forward pass falls incomplete, the play is dead and the attacking team loses a down, unless they have gained enough distance for a first down. For example. 2nd and 7 means it's second down and they need 7 yards to get a new set of downs. 3rd and 20 means they are either very bad or very naughty.

1-2 Tight ends - Receivers whose principal purpose is to be the source of jokes about their job title.

3-4 Linebackers - Brick outhouses who are very angry and would like to introduce you to their friend pain.

But there are many defensive set ups where they play extra safetys and corners at the expense of other positions. Typically they'll do this when they expect the attacking team to pass the ball.

Popular terminology:

Fumble - The ballcarrier has just dropped the ball. This may or may not be because he's unconscious (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVKceyUbmE)
Interception - The quarterback is terrible (and/or Troy Polamalu's awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlFqdjYqu4))
Blitz - The defence sends many of it's players to stomp the quarterback's head into the ground.
Meast - Man-Beast aka Larry Fitzgerald (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjmYmhI2hO0)
Shotgun - The quarterback is frightened of the defence and wants to stand as far away from them as possible. Or, he has grown tired of fondling his lineman's tight ass. Or, the attacking team is about to pass the ball.
No-huddle - The attacking team is trying to rush the defence in the hope that the D will make a mess of things. The D, being made up of fat men who don't like being forced to move at speed do not like this.
Special Teams - This is an equal opportunities sport. The players who aren't good enough to play all the time get a chance on kick-offs and punts to try to earn a spot with the big boys (see also: Devin Hester (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2SpdESsTXo))
Two-minute warning - The Russians have gone to war, so the game will stop at the 2-minute mark in each half for some valuable advertising time. This is in addition to the 3 timeouts in each half teams can use to see if the new BMW looks cool.
Challenge - aka The red flag. A coach thinks the referee's wrong. Works on the same principle as challenges in tennis. Obviously impractical in the SPL where every decision made by the referee would be overturned. Note: if San Diego head coach Norv Turner throws the flag, the referee is right.
Unnecessary Roughness; Interference; Holding; False-start; Illegal Motion - Types of foul penalised by a loss of yardage and/or down. Similarities to a variety of sexual offences is purely coincidental.
Fair Catch - On kickoffs, the receiving team can elect to fair catch and prevent the kicking team from decapitating the person that catches the ball. Like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUo2MDngJE) If they do the play is dead and they take over at the point of the catch.

Too much time on your hands (but good, and funny):greengrin

That's a full on idiots guide to American football.:agree:

capitals_finest
01-02-2009, 08:03 PM

Popular terminology:

Very good.:agree:

LamontHFC©
01-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Popular terminology:

Thanks you kind sir. Very helpful. :agree:

Hanny
01-02-2009, 11:54 PM
100 yard interception return for a touchdown by the Steelers!!:thumbsup:

Play to be reviewed - looks ok to me :agree:

Edit - TD stands :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
02-02-2009, 02:09 AM
was just about to say well done cardinals for coming back from 20-7 down to lead 23-20(with less than 2 mins left) with two superb TD's from fitzgerald, but steelers got a TD in the last minute to win 27-23 cruel on the cardinals:agree:

mickeythehibbee
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Ach, goan just piss aff :wink: - I don't think we were smug at all last year - I'll grant that a lot of our fans seemed to think it was a foregone conclusion (after we mauled you during the regular season at Foxborough), but the players continually kept playing the whole "undefeated" and "favourite" tag down whenever it was raised - they almost appeared embarassed by it all!

I don't just say this because you beat us, but last year was bloody brutal to watch. The Giants defense won them the superbowl last year. That's not a criticism - their strength was in defense and they used it well, but it doesn't make for good neutral observation!

I have utterly no investment in either team this year and have classes on Monday morning, so I doubt i'm going to bother watching it this year.

That certainly wasn't a problem this year!. I wanted the cardinals to win but in spite of the result it was a cracking game. Much more enjoyable than last year and the only downside is Roethlisberger won.

Dear God i hate that smug git!! :grr::grr:

Just Jimmy
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM

I'll be honest with you, when I say smug it was no way directed at the players. It was the fans to an exetent, but more so the neutrals that really hacked me off. I was well aware of the situation, and readily accept it WAS an upset however, it was the fact very few neutrals were ready to say well done. You could see the 'experts' spitting blood after the game.

Last nights game was boring until the last eight minutes. Kurt Warner did it with the Rams, and again last night did it with the Cardinals. They simply scored too early.

The_Todd
02-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Popular terminology:

Can you do one of these for Hockey now? :greengrin

mickeythehibbee
02-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Can you do one of these for Hockey now? :greengrin

How about chess, i could never get my head around that one? :greengrin

The_Horde
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Never supported any of team up until Steelers took the lead.

Then i kind of adopted the Cardinals and i'm still gutted. :boo hoo:

Pheona
02-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Popular terminology:

Thats the only bit of interest :greengrin

and the only bit of it I watched.

:rockin:

Haymaker
04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Had a great time watching the final, i was kinda hoping for Zona to do it because i like underdogs in games like this but it was still enjoyable. I still cant believe how 'Berger could move so much in the pocket and still throw like a demon. Crazy.

zander_hfc
05-02-2009, 04:03 PM
'Berger is insanely strong and good on his feet, there was so many times he should have been down for a sack, but he just brushes off the tackles then releases a rocket downfield. Would have been a nice fairytale for Kurt Warner to win the 'Bowl at 37, but wasn't to be. I particularly enjoyed seeing Larry Fitzgerald's father in the stands, being a typical journalist, when his son scored what could have been a match winning touchdown, and he just keeps calm with a face of stone. It was a really enjoyable match and roll on next season! Much too big a gap for my liking though! :boo hoo:

Haymaker
05-02-2009, 04:21 PM
'Berger is insanely strong and good on his feet, there was so many times he should have been down for a sack, but he just brushes off the tackles then releases a rocket downfield. Would have been a nice fairytale for Kurt Warner to win the 'Bowl at 37, but wasn't to be. I particularly enjoyed seeing Larry Fitzgerald's father in the stands, being a typical journalist, when his son scored what could have been a match winning touchdown, and he just keeps calm with a face of stone. It was a really enjoyable match and roll on next season! Much too big a gap for my liking though! :boo hoo:

Yeah i hate this long wait...

Anyone following College football draftees? Anyone we should be looking out for?

zander_hfc
06-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah i hate this long wait...

Anyone following College football draftees? Anyone we should be looking out for?

Generally I don't keep up with the College game, but I hear there's a QB coming through called Matthew Stafford from Georgia, set to be the number QB in the draft so hopefully a good talent. Also saw he may be a good choice for the Detroit Lions, a cornerstone for them to start rebuilding

Sylar
06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
It pains me to say this as a Michigan fan but Chris "Beanie" Wells (RB from Ohio State) will be a hot prospect in the draft this year - his record was immense last year. Another hot prospect from Ohio State (who is being lined up as a replacement for Plaxico Buress at the Giants) is James Laurenitis. He single-handedly stopped our offense when OSU blew us away this season :boo hoo:

Tyson Jackson, Defensive Tackle for LSU will also be one to keep an eye on after a good season with the Tigers.

The 2 obvious "big picks" to watch will be Matt Stafford (Georgia QB) and Andre Smith (Alabama Crimson Tide, OT), after both had HUGE seasons at college level!

GhostofBolivar
07-02-2009, 05:55 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

Fat Stu
13-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Just heard that Brett Favre has retired. Great career and some great stats and records.

Haymaker
13-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Just heard that Brett Favre has retired. Great career and some great stats and records.

He said that last year didnt he :wink:

A great player and an absolute legend in the game... but I still feel he has damaged his reputation by turning out for the Jets this season, he should have walked away instead his last game he left the field to the chorus of boos from the jets fans...

GhostofBolivar
14-02-2009, 02:40 AM

Shame his massive ego got in the way...

HibsMax
27-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Just getting my prediction in early.

Pats. ;)

Haymaker
03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Just getting my prediction in early.

Pats. ;)

I agree.

Cutler to the Bears? could be a good signing for them...

Sylar
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm going for a Pats vs Bears finally actually - I said that prior to them signing Cutler, but that's reinforced my thoughts!

Haymaker
03-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm going for a Pats vs Bears finally actually - I said that prior to them signing Cutler, but that's reinforced my thoughts!

Now that would be a great final... so long as we keep the kicks away from Hester!