PDA

View Full Version : Bowls

Pages : [1] 2

MB62
10-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Scottish International Open starts today and is on BBC 2.

:thumbsup:

forthhibby
14-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Scottish International Open starts today and is on BBC 2.

went up to watch yesterday, foster v marshall game was major let down, don't know if tattie wasn't happy with green shirt and bowls :greengrin

bbc coverage is a nightmare, always ends during tiebreak of a game :brickwall:brickwall

MSK
14-11-2008, 04:52 PM
went up to watch yesterday, foster v marshall game was major let down, don't know if tattie wasn't happy with green shirt and bowls :greengrin

bbc coverage is a nightmare, always ends during tiebreak of a game :brickwall:brickwallI just hit the red button on my Sky remote & watched the end ...:greengrin

forthhibby
14-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I just hit the red button on my Sky remote & watched the end ...:greengrin

unfortunately you can't do that if you've recorded it

MSK
14-11-2008, 05:32 PM
unfortunately you can't do that if you've recorded itYe never missed much mate, Foster had a couple o chances to draw for the game but his final bowl fell short, tbh i was a bit disappointed in Foster, ive seen him play much better ...:agree:

Fat Stu
14-11-2008, 09:45 PM
i guess i'm the only one that finds bowls insanely boring to watch! also hate this sets format that indoor uses, just play a race to 21 ffs.

MSK
14-11-2008, 10:32 PM
i guess i'm the only one that finds bowls insanely boring to watch! also hate this sets format that indoor uses, just play a race to 21 ffs.Yip..i would prefer the straight 21 too...:agree:

tanfield
15-11-2008, 06:47 PM
i guess i'm the only one that finds bowls insanely boring to watch! also hate this sets format that indoor uses, just play a race to 21 ffs.

You're not the only one Stu, I'm not the best spectator when it comes to bowls. Perfect remedy for insomniacs mind.

Roll on the outdoor!!!:agree:

MB62
17-11-2008, 08:51 AM
You're not the only one Stu, I'm not the best spectator when it comes to bowls. Perfect remedy for insomniacs mind.

Roll on the outdoor!!!:agree:

Aye, only 5 months on Saturday past until the new season.

C'mon the Northern Hibees :thumbsup:

MSK
17-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Aye, only 5 months on Saturday past until the new season.

C'mon the Northern Hibees :thumbsup:Dont know whats happening at the Jewel ...no bowling Commitee, a few have left to join Niddrie BC....no Esk league.....looks like i will be having a season of "bounce" games ...:boo hoo:

forthhibby
17-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Ye never missed much mate, Foster had a couple o chances to draw for the game but his final bowl fell short, tbh i was a bit disappointed in Foster, ive seen him play much better ...:agree:

me and mates were discussing at indoor do you think they have to use a certain bowl to suit the sponsors and has to be colour for tv. foster always seem to have a big drawing bowl, the ones used for indoor might not suit him :confused:

MB62
17-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Dont know whats happening at the Jewel ...no bowling Commitee, a few have left to join Niddrie BC....no Esk league.....looks like i will be having a season of "bounce" games ...:boo hoo:

That is bad news, another bowling club going out the game?
Why no Esk League, what happened there? or do you mean you will not be playing in the Esk League because the Jewel has packed in?

There's always the Northern if you want to play top class bowls :greengrin

MSK
17-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Why no Esk League, what happened there? or do you mean you will not be playing in the Esk League because the Jewel has packed in?

There's always the Northern if you want to play top class bowls :greengrinI think there has been a lot of infighting between bowling members & the main Jewel commitee...

Due to lack of co-operation from the main commitee means no-one is prepared to set up a new bowling commitee..no new bowling commitee no bowls...(competitions etc)

A few of the guys who played in the Esk have ( im led to believe) left the Jewel & some even say that they will retain the name but use Niddrie bc as "home"...as a counter blow ..the Jewel have mooted that idea & have said they will put out a team in the Esk ...my opinion is they will have absolutley no chance & if they even attempt to play in the 2nd div they will get blown away !!!

Im wi the guys who have gone to Niddrie but no way will i play for the Jewel up there !!

Bloody shambles mate ...:grr:

MSK
17-11-2008, 08:54 PM
me and mates were discussing at indoor do you think they have to use a certain bowl to suit the sponsors and has to be colour for tv. foster always seem to have a big drawing bowl, the ones used for indoor might not suit him :confused:Always wondered what the case was wi the bowls mate, some players use custom made bowls so i would assume they have to use a bowl thats as near as possible to the one they normally use ...:agree:

sg7nil
24-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Hopefully we can get the flooding in Leith Links fixed before the start of next season!

At least they now think they know what's caused it...:confused:

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Turning-our-pitch-into-a.4718048.jp

Nae mention of Seafield BC in the article, just the Cricket pitches and the Allotments (next door).... our green was mair like a swimming pool since August because of this.. I reckon we could have a major moss situation this year!:brickwall

MB62
27-11-2008, 07:24 AM
Hopefully we can get the flooding in Leith Links fixed before the start of next season!

At least they now think they know what's caused it...:confused:

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Turning-our-pitch-into-a.4718048.jp

Nae mention of Seafield BC in the article, just the Cricket pitches and the Allotments (next door).... our green was mair like a swimming pool since August because of this.. I reckon we could have a major moss situation this year!:brickwall

And compensation claim ?

Removed
30-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Just watched a bit of the bowls on BBC. Sponsored by Co-Op Funeralcare :faf: :applause:

MSK
30-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Just watched a bit of the bowls on BBC. Sponsored by Co-Op Funeralcare :faf: :applause:Funny you mention that ..our (Jewel's) biggest open competition is sponsored by Harkess - Funeral Directors ...:greengrin

Fat Stu
30-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Just thought that i'd mention that its a sad day, the the oldest club in edinburgh is officially no more as of tomorrow

forthhibby
01-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Just thought that i'd mention that its a sad day, the the oldest club in edinburgh is officially no more as of tomorrow

hate to hear that, but i think it will be one of many before the season starts

sg7nil
01-12-2008, 09:10 AM

I still can't believe that they were not able to get a single green from the ones at the Meadows from the council and continue to operate.. :dunno:

The club is/was an institutuion and more effort should have been made to save it (IMHO).

MB62
01-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I still can't believe that they were not able to get a single green from the ones at the Meadows from the council and continue to operate.. :dunno:

The club is/was an institutuion and more effort should have been made to save it (IMHO).

:agree: :agree:

Fat Stu
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM

Was all looked into and we were unsuccessful, in hind sight we could of bought one of the greens at the back of us which is now a play park. Added to things like our well publicised lack of cash and the fact that any club we went to would have to bear our name(that can be really off putting). Also these public places have no bar facilities.

hibsbollah
02-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Do any people under 60 play bowels or is there a legal minimum age requirement?:duck:

Mon Dieu4
02-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Do any people under 60 play bowels or is there a legal minimum age requirement?:duck:

Is it not 65?

hibsbollah
02-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Is it not 65?

Yep, i think youre right. Under 65s play marbles, over 65s move onto to bowls. I prefer the bingo myself.

sg7nil
02-12-2008, 10:03 AM

You're obviously not old enough to play bowls, you can't even spell it! :wink:

MSK
02-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Yep, i think youre right. Under 65s play marbles, over 65s move onto to bowls. I prefer the bingo myself.Here ye go then ...:bye:

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/aol/redir?src=websearch&requestId=a2eda96985ff5505&clickedItemRank=1&userQuery=bingo&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fladies.888.com%2F&title=888ladies+%3Cb%3EBingo%3C%2Fb%3E+-+play+Online+%3Cb%3EBingo%3C%2Fb%3E+UK+with+Your+F riends+-+%E2%82%A410+Free%21&moduleId=matchingsites.jsp.M&clickedItemPageRanking=1&clickedItemPage=1&clickedItemDescription=WebResults

hibsbollah
02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
You're obviously not old enough to play bowls, you can't even spell it! :wink:

Sorry, an alimentary mistake:wink:

MSK
02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Cannae wait for the season tae start tbh ...i had a crap year last wi the obvious exception o the Northern BC v hibs.net challenge.....bring it on Burnsie !!! :thumbsup:

MB62
02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Cannae wait for the season tae start tbh ...i had a crap year last wi the obvious exception o the Northern BC v hibs.net challenge.....bring it on Burnsie !!! :thumbsup:

Exact opposite for me, best year ever on the green and have decided to represent the club in the SBA pairs next year, rather than the triples.

Presently, the main hall in the Northern is going through further refurbishments. New seating has already been installed and a brand new dance floor is virtually laid now, so it should be looking absolutely top notch for next year.

I believe the green edges are being lifted as they were beginning to drop, so by the time next season comes around, everything should be looking good.

Bring on the :hnet: for another thrashing.

Over 65's welcome :wink: :greengrin

hibsbollah
02-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Exact opposite for me, best year ever on the green and have decided to represent the club in the SBA pairs next year, rather than the triples.

Presently, the main hall in the Northern is going through further refurbishments. New seating has already been installed and a brand new dance floor is virtually laid now, so it should be looking absolutely top notch for next year.

I believe the green edges are being lifted as they were beginning to drop, so by the time next season comes around, everything should be looking good.

Over 65's welcome :wink: :greengrin

I think its great they let you play, even though you're only 49:thumbsup:

MSK
02-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Over 65's welcome :wink: :greengrinChoose yer words carefully Mike ...:greengrin.....we hope to have a couple o new "recruits" for next year ..cannae remember who they are though ...:greengrin

Excellent stuff regarding yer refurb mate..Northern def seems to be a club on the up ...Compared to Fat-Stu's club closing & the Jewel's future shrouded in uncertainty...:agree:

MB62
02-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Yep, i think youre right. Under 65s play marbles, over 65s move onto to bowls. I prefer the bingo myself.

It's strange that the people who have this impression are those who have never tried it, or maybe have tried it and simply cannae play the game :wink: :greengrin

MSK
02-12-2008, 11:37 AM
It's strange that the people who have this impression aer those who have never tried it, or maybe have tried it and simply cannae play the game :wink: :greengrinThe guy said he prefers bingo, brave for admitting that so credit where its due.... :tee hee:

hibsbollah
02-12-2008, 11:45 AM
The guy said he prefers bingo, brave for admitting that so credit where its due.... :tee hee:

Bingo is the new rock n roll:thumbsup:

MSK
02-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Bingo is the new rock n roll:thumbsup:Aye ..whatever floats yer boat mate ...crack on ...:greengrin

MB62
03-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Bingo is the new rock n roll:thumbsup:

Join a bowling, we have regular bingo sessions, best of both worlds eh! :wink: :greengrin

hibsbollah
03-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Join a bowling, we have regular bingo sessions, best of both worlds eh! :wink: :greengrin

Thats double the fun:greengrin

Hibee_Craig7062
24-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Always wondered what the case was wi the bowls mate, some players use custom made bowls so i would assume they have to use a bowl thats as near as possible to the one they normally use ...:agree:

Guys like Tattie, Foster etc and probably all of the world top 16 will own numerous sets of bowls. These guys play both indoor and outdoor around the world almost non stop every year. The bowls they use will be dependent on the surface they are playing on.

Bearing in mind its the same portable rink used for most of the big tournaments shown on the Beeb therefore they all know how it plays. They are most definately using their own bowls in any tournament you watch on TV.

Fat Stu
13-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Bit help needed guys, looking to get a new set of bowls for next season. I want the blue yellow speckled bowls here http://www.drakespride.co.uk/Pages/lawn/coloured.htm# however I can't find them on any online store. Does anywhere know where I can get them or will I have to settle for orange taylors.

On another note the do green yellow speckled ones(taylor) however i can only find them in oz they look well nice.

sg7nil
14-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Bit help needed guys, looking to get a new set of bowls for next season. I want the blue yellow speckled bowls here http://www.drakespride.co.uk/Pages/lawn/coloured.htm# however I can't find them on any online store. Does anywhere know where I can get them or will I have to settle for orange taylors.

On another note the do green yellow speckled ones(taylor) however i can only find them in oz they look well nice.

This place..

http://www.bowlsworld.co.uk/acatalog/Flat_Green_Bowls.html#A242

seem to sell the ones you fancy (12 week delivery as they have to be made up for you).

ggth
14-01-2009, 10:32 AM

There's always the Northern if you want to play top class bowls :greengrin

East Lothian is the place to be......:thumbsup:

Fat Stu
14-01-2009, 05:31 PM
This place..

http://www.bowlsworld.co.uk/acatalog/Flat_Green_Bowls.html#A242

seem to sell the ones you fancy (12 week delivery as they have to be made up for you).

they've only got the 2 tone blue speckled ones, i want the blue ones with yellow speckles. Also saw white bowls which i'm considering http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/6095/img01433oj9.jpg.

sg7nil
14-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Stu,

Should it not be more about how they play rather than how they look?..

however I do think the grey Granite effect ones look cool!

I have 2 sets, both Henselites (Classics and my newer Classic 2's)...both boring (and cheaper!) black..

Everyone tells me that the Classic 2's are "much" straighter than my old yins, but I personally don't see much difference (and I have been known to practice with both sets at once -saves a lazy B like me some walking!).

On a rink that hasn't been played already that day and you can still see the track marks the bowls leave the difference between the lines each bowl takes is minute if anything at all!

I think you need to try bowls before you buy them.

Fat Stu
14-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Stu,

Should it not be more about how they play rather than how they look?..

however I do think the grey Granite effect ones look cool!

I have 2 sets, both Henselites (Classics and my newer Classic 2's)...both boring (and cheaper!) black..

Everyone tells me that the Classic 2's are "much" straighter than my old yins, but I personally don't see much difference (and I have been known to practice with both sets at once -saves a lazy B like me some walking!).

On a rink that hasn't been played already that day and you can still see the track marks the bowls leave the difference between the lines each bowl takes is minute if anything at all!

I think you need to try bowls before you buy them.

Your probably right, thing is I had a set of size 4's Almark Sterlings which were too big but a good bowl. Fine in the dry but couldn't grip them when there was any sort of moisture on my hands or the bowl.

I reverted to my size 2's from my time as junior a couple of years ago whilst still a good bowl i've ****ed them up driving, chips, scratched and a nice white line in one when i pinged a rink marker, they were second hand anyway and weren't in the greatest nick..

looking at vectors or a similiar straightish bowl as I have generally played lead(and hopefully will continue to do so). Just fancy a change of colour(from my previous black and brown ones) and the Blue yellow ones look very nice. I can get the white ones or white with red speckled but have to wait til april and I need to pre-order them.

Just showing my immaturity I think i wanting something a bit different as I was going to get the pink ones but the missus has quickly and easily talked me out of that. Don't want the normal blue/red or geen either, want something that i haven't seen before.

tanfield
17-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Your probably right, thing is I had a set of size 4's Almark Sterlings which were too big but a good bowl. Fine in the dry but couldn't grip them when there was any sort of moisture on my hands or the bowl.

I reverted to my size 2's from my time as junior a couple of years ago whilst still a good bowl i've ****ed them up driving, chips, scratched and a nice white line in one when i pinged a rink marker, they were second hand anyway and weren't in the greatest nick..

looking at vectors or a similiar straightish bowl as I have generally played lead(and hopefully will continue to do so). Just fancy a change of colour(from my previous black and brown ones) and the Blue yellow ones look very nice. I can get the white ones or white with red speckled but have to wait til april and I need to pre-order them.

Just showing my immaturity I think i wanting something a bit different as I was going to get the pink ones but the missus has quickly and easily talked me out of that. Don't want the normal blue/red or geen either, want something that i haven't seen before.

Up to you Stu mate but I think having coloured bowls would put me off (I get very religious/ superstitious in the bowls I play with). I play with bog standard henselites which are perfect. Always played with the same kind albeit my other set are a size smaller (4's).

Certainly plenty of choice these days both colour and bias. If you predominately play at the front end then straighter bowls may be an idea but at the end of the day it's how you play with them.

Make sure if you get coloured bowls that you play well. Because if not everyone is going to quickly realise which bowls looked like they have been dropped by parachute:devil: :duck:

MB62
26-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Make sure if you get coloured bowls that you play well. Because if not everyone is going to quickly realise which bowls looked like they have been dropped by parachute:devil: :duck:

Like the big yellow melons that one of the guys from the Edinburgh Club played with :greengrin

Only 10 weeks on Saturday until the new season :thumbsup:

MSK
26-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Like the big yellow melons that one of the guys from the Edinburgh Club played with :greengrin

Only 10 weeks on Saturday until the new season :thumbsup:We have an EGM on Sat...gonna be some aggro i can tell ye !!!

Fat Stu
26-01-2009, 04:28 PM

Only 10 weeks on Saturday until the new season :thumbsup:

Aye neils a 2 time champ so he could get away with it though.

MB62
27-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Aye neils a 2 time champ so he could get away with it though.

That certainly helps right enough :greengrin

Must admit he played well against us in the first game of last season. Didn't personally play against Neil but he always looked in the area (although that might just have been the eye catching factor of those b100dy big melons :greengrin)

MB62
27-01-2009, 01:53 PM
We have an EGM on Sat...gonna be some aggro i can tell ye !!!

An EGM before your AGM?
Must be serious indeed.

Is it the Jewel you are a member of again?

MSK
27-01-2009, 01:59 PM
An EGM before your AGM?
Must be serious indeed.

Is it the Jewel you are a member of again?Tis the Jewel Mike ...aye an EGM ..i think they are gonna have one more attempt at electing a bowling commitee..if successful then the obvious AGM will follow ...i wont however build my hopes up ..

I was along the club on Sunday & spoke to a former commitee member & he says there is still a strong possibility of the Esk league team playing all their home games away from the Jewel ...if that is the case then i wont be playing ...

MSK
31-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Well ...we will be playing in the Scottish ....we will be playing home games at the Jewel (Esk league)...but we dont have a comittee....we have guys willing to chip in ...

Sad ..sad ..83 years o bowling ..dying a death ..

MB62
05-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Well ...we will be playing in the Scottish ....we will be playing home games at the Jewel (Esk league)...but we dont have a comittee....we have guys willing to chip in ...

Sad ..sad ..83 years o bowling ..dying a death ..

It seems a wee bit more encouraging than before though, at least you have some sort of a club for now.
The big problem for almost every club is getting people interested in playing the game, it has been slowly dying a death for around 10 years now.
I think what we need is somebody to invent the game on to a Wii or whatever, and get folk playing it there first, then hopefully get them interested in the real thing :greengrin

Good luck for the coming season, I think we will ALL need it.

MSK
05-02-2009, 07:41 AM
It seems a wee bit more encouraging than before though, at least you have some sort of a club for now.
The big problem for almost every club is getting people interested in playing the game, it has been slowly dying a death for around 10 years now.
I think what we need is somebody to invent the game on to a Wii or whatever, and get folk playing it there first, then hopefully get them interested in the real thing :greengrin

Good luck for the coming season, I think we will ALL need it.All true Mike ..no looking too good but as you say we have bowls ...i can honestly see our membership dropping to 40 or 50 this year compared to over 100 a couple o years back ...being a social club & not a bowling club does not help ..we just cant attract bowlers now ..

James Connolly
07-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Countdown to opening day at Dalkeith B.C. on Saturday, can't wait!:thumbsup::cheers::drunk:

MB62
07-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Countdown to opening day at Dalkeith B.C. on Saturday, can't wait!:thumbsup::cheers::drunk:

Ah, but have you got your name down for the BIG game in June when the minnows from the Hibs.net take on the mighty Northern B.C. Hibees? :thumbsup:

James Connolly
07-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Ah, but have you got your name down for the BIG game in June when the minnows from the Hibs.net take on the mighty Northern B.C. Hibees? :thumbsup:

Myself & another Dalkeith member who posts on here, were looking forward to it; but our club is running one of the single hand tournaments on the same day.

I'm sure there will be enough talent on show, for Hibs.net to exact revenge this year!

MSK
07-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Myself & another Dalkeith member who posts on here, were looking forward to it; but our club is running one of the single hand tournaments on the same day.

I'm sure there will be enough talent on show, for Hibs.net to exact revenge this year!Pity James would have been good to have had you there mate.....hopefully next year ....can i just say to James (i will be up your green later in the season in the Esk) & others ...good luck & all the best in tournaments/leagues this season....:aok:

James Connolly
07-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Pity James would have been good to have had you there mate.....hopefully next year ....can i just say to James (i will be up your green later in the season in the Esk) & others ...good luck & all the best in tournaments/leagues this season....:aok:

Aye, was looking forward to it, but you know what it's like, not enough weekends for all the bowling through the summer.

Glad to hear the bowling section of the Jewel is still going and participating in the Esk league.

All the best for new season, apart fi when your playing Dalkeith!:wink:

MSK
07-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Aye, was looking forward to it, but you know what it's like, not enough weekends for all the bowling through the summer.

Glad to hear the bowling section of the Jewel is still going and participating in the Esk league.

All the best for new season, apart fi when your playing Dalkeith!:wink:Cheers James, moral is pretty low at the Jewel at the moment with uncertainty over the future of the bowling membership ...i think we will be lucky to have 50 members this year...

As for the Esk, well as you know we struggled last season & only avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth compared to the season before where we finished 3rd...i look forward to making the trip to Dalkeith (not a lucky hunting ground for us) but a very welcoming place & superb sarnies !!!! :greengrin

James Connolly
07-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Cheers James, moral is pretty low at the Jewel at the moment with uncertainty over the future of the bowling membership ...i think we will be lucky to have 50 members this year...

As for the Esk, well as you know we struggled last season & only avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth compared to the season before where we finished 3rd...i look forward to making the trip to Dalkeith (not a lucky hunting ground for us) but a very welcoming place & superb sarnies !!!! :greengrin

There's nothing between any of the sides in Div 2, so you never know, a successful season may lie ahead?

Unfortunately I'll be plying my trade in Div 3 this seaon after being relegated last year!:boo hoo:

I'm sure the boys from team 1 will give you the usual Dalkeith welcome.

Hope you manage to keep the bowling section going; would be a great shame to see it fold.

MSK
07-04-2009, 05:54 PM
There's nothing between any of the sides in Div 2, so you never know, a successful season may lie ahead?

Unfortunately I'll be plying my trade in Div 3 this seaon after being relegated last year!:boo hoo:

I'm sure the boys from team 1 will give you the usual Dalkeith welcome.

Hope you manage to keep the bowling section going; would be a great shame to see it fold.Just seen the fixtures James ...we are away to Buccleuch & you lot are away to Penicuik....nowt like a tough start to the season eh !! :greengrin

James Connolly
08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Just seen the fixtures James ...we are away to Buccleuch & you lot are away to Penicuik....nowt like a tough start to the season eh !! :greengrin

Especially when it's still snowing in Penicuik in April!:greengrin

Bit of a bummer for you's as well, you'll have to make do wi a cup o tea after the game!:boo hoo:

I see you're not at Dalkeith until the last game of the season, lets hope both teams are still in the hunt for promotion come then.

MSK
08-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Especially when it's still snowing in Penicuik in April!:greengrin

Bit of a bummer for you's as well, you'll have to make do wi a cup o tea after the game!:boo hoo:

I see you're not at Dalkeith until the last game of the season, lets hope both teams are still in the hunt for promotion come then.I hate a "dry" green...there tends to be a bit o a social culture in the Esk league & theres nowt better than sharing a few pints before..during & after a game ....:party:

I remember my first ever game for the Jewel up in Kirkhill in the 5th div...i was in a rather nervous state & needed a pint to calm the nerves ..alas ..there wasnt a bar !!! :grr:...tea & coffee just aint the same ..:greengrin

As for the fixtures, im glad we are up in Dalkeith nearer the end of the season..wi a bit o luck it will be into the damp weather & slow yer bloody green doon !!!! :greengrin

MSK
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Jewel green opens on Sat ..please ..please dont rain !!!!! :pray:

James Connolly
11-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Well opening day has arrived and the sun is shining...oh happy days!

I just hope the club has got the Guinness nice & chilled!:thumbsup:

MSK
11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Well opening day has arrived and the sun is shining...oh happy days!

I just hope the club has got the Guinness nice & chilled!:thumbsup:Its looking good James...if the sun stays oot for a few more hours i will be delighted ....Lager ...Bowls ...mon the Jewel Miners ...:thumbsup:

Sunny Leith
11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Goldenacre opens a week today, must say im looking forward to the new season, especially playing against the 'stars' of division 1 again. Hopefully weel not get relegated on shots this year :grr:

MSK
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Superb day...turnout approx 50 but a few bowlers in the bar ..membership way down on past years but at least we have bowls ...

I was lead in the winning rink today ....yeeeeehhhhaaa :party:....:thumbsup:

James Connolly
12-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Superb day...turnout approx 50 but a few bowlers in the bar ..membership way down on past years but at least we have bowls ...

I was lead in the winning rink today ....yeeeeehhhhaaa :party:....:thumbsup:

Glad to here that mate.

My head is banging; canny beat it!!!

James Connolly
20-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Esk League starts on Friday night:thumbsup:; Dalkeith Team 2 selector this season...hopefully do a bit better than Mixu!:wink:

MSK
20-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Esk League starts on Friday night:thumbsup:; Dalkeith Team 2 selector this season...hopefully do a bit better than Mixu!:wink:We done our selection on Friday night after our friendly loss to our "Seniors" team ....:grr:....:greengrin

Happily im first reserve, i cant play much this year in the Esk because of my shifts (think i only played 4 last season)..however when available i prefer to sit reserve & at least im there if someone pulls out....& of course im there for the swally !!! :party:....:greengrin

Ps ..say hiya tae Wullie & Scott Morrison for me.....:thumbsup:

James Connolly
21-04-2009, 03:54 PM
We done our selection on Friday night after our friendly loss to our "Seniors" team ....:grr:....:greengrin

Happily im first reserve, i cant play much this year in the Esk because of my shifts (think i only played 4 last season)..however when available i prefer to sit reserve & at least im there if someone pulls out....& of course im there for the swally !!! :party:....:greengrin

Ps ..say hiya tae Wullie & Scott Morrison for me.....:thumbsup:

That was my plan this season, being a non playing selector (reserve); but at the selection meeting last night, we realised we're struggling a bit to fill 3 teams!

Still, hopefully we'll get off to a good start on Friday.:pray:

I'll let Willie & Scott know you were asking for them.

MSK
21-04-2009, 04:06 PM
That was my plan this season, being a non playing selector (reserve); but at the selection meeting last night, we realised we're struggling a bit to fill 3 teams!

Still, hopefully we'll get off to a good start on Friday.:pray:

I'll let Willie & Scott know you were asking for them.We have two new Captains this year, the former Captain has stepped aside & is gonna do the admin side as well as play (wi only having the one team we have a Captain & vice Captain instead of selectors) ...we have upped our team to a strong 20 this year so hopefully we can make a decent go of things as opposed to our struggle last season !!! :greengrin

Cheers

Sunny Leith
21-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Am I right in thinking Burnsie, you are playing the scottish pairs this year? Seems like the northern have drawn the acre again in the tourniment at none other than my old stomping ground leith!

MB62
21-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Am I right in thinking Burnsie, you are playing the scottish pairs this year? Seems like the northern have drawn the acre again in the tourniment at none other than my old stomping ground leith!

You're right. I am in the pairs.
I'm on holiday at the mo and have no idea what the draw is.
What date are we meant to be playing?

Sunny Leith
21-04-2009, 11:33 PM
You're right. I am in the pairs.
I'm on holiday at the mo and have no idea what the draw is.
What date are we meant to be playing?

I think its on the friday on the last week of may, not sure on the exact date however! There is still the small chance I'll play in the u25's but got the small matter of Colin Hutichison to get by first! Hope the holiday is going well too :thumbsup:

James Connolly
25-04-2009, 06:04 AM
Dalkeith 2 got off to a great start with a 6-2 victory, away to Penicuik 2!:thumbsup:

The green was running really well for this time of the year.

Teams 1 & 3 were both beaten at home though.

MSK
25-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Jewel lost 6-2 away to 11 men Buccleuch.(Dalkieth)....:grr:

Buccleuch is the Fir Park of bowling greens & the only green ive played on that has friggin speed bumps !!!...:grr:

We now have a home game on Thursday night v Eskmills & a chance to get our first points on the board ..

greenlex
26-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Jewel lost 6-2 away to 11 men Buccleuch.(Dalkieth)....:grr:

Buccleuch is the Fir Park of bowling greens & the only green ive played on that has friggin speed bumps !!!...:grr:

We now have a home game on Thursday night v Eskmills & a chance to get our first points on the board ..
Its the same for both teams ya Bam stop yer greetin. :greengrin

MSK
26-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Its the same for both teams ya Bam stop yer greetin. :greengrinEh..naw its no ya bam !!!! :tsk tsk:....its their home green..they know how it runs, they should know every inch of their green as we do the Jewel ...by the time we figure out all the nooks & crannies its too late !!! :greengrin

James Connolly
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
1st home game of the season tonight, and it's pishing down!:grr:

A heavy green won't suit us touch players!:blah::wink:

MSK
01-05-2009, 12:52 PM
1st home game of the season tonight, and it's pishing down!:grr:

A heavy green won't suit us touch players!:blah::wink:We played last night v Eskmills (played Thurs because Eskmills are away on tour tonight)..

We had a much changed team after our defeat last week...we trounced them 8-0 & i played lead in our winning rink ...never ever again will i play lead though !!!! i hated it .....:grr:....but hey ho ..a win on my "lead" debut wasnae bad...:thumbsup:

James Connolly
04-05-2009, 07:26 AM
We played last night v Eskmills (played Thurs because Eskmills are away on tour tonight)..

We had a much changed team after our defeat last week...we trounced them 8-0 & i played lead in our winning rink ...never ever again will i play lead though !!!! i hated it .....:grr:....but hey ho ..a win on my "lead" debut wasnae bad...:thumbsup:

Well done.:thumbsup:

We beat Gorebridge 2 on Friday 6-2, just hope we can keep up the good start to the season.

MSK
04-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Well done.:thumbsup:

We beat Gorebridge 2 on Friday 6-2, just hope we can keep up the good start to the season.Good start James ..2 outta 2 :thumbsup:

Notice you have another home game v Musselburgh 2 on Friday ..a good chance for you to rack up another couple o points ...

We are away to Easthouses..dont know much about them other than they came down from the first ...oh aye ..& they have bloody man eating midges !!! :grr:....:greengrin

James Connolly
04-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Good start James ..2 outta 2 :thumbsup:

Notice you have another home game v Musselburgh 2 on Friday ..a good chance for you to rack up another couple o points ...

We are away to Easthouses..dont know much about them other than they came down from the first ...oh aye ..& they have bloody man eating midges !!! :grr:....:greengrin

Cheers mate; selection meeting tonight, we might have to change one of the rinks for Friday as they've been well beaten twice.

Easthouses green should be flying, they've got a Hamilton Trophy game there soon, so it should be in good nick.

James Connolly
09-05-2009, 09:21 AM
A hard fought 5-3 victory for us at home against Musselburgh 2 last night; overall shots were 41-41, but we had 2 rinks up to sneak the 2 points.:thumbsup:

Blazer back on for a friendly against Nitshill today; hope my liver holds up! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_7_3.gif

MSK
09-05-2009, 09:28 AM
A hard fought 5-3 victory for us at home against Musselburgh 2 last night; overall shots were 41-41, but we had 2 rinks up to sneak the 2 points.:thumbsup:

Blazer back on for a friendly against Nitshill today; hope my liver holds up! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_7_3.gifGood stuff James 3 outa 3....excellent start mate ..:thumbsup:

Not sure how the Jewel got on at Easthouses last night ...i was unavailable & my phone was silent so i fear the worst ...:pray:

MSK
09-05-2009, 07:42 PM
6-2 the Jewel ...cracking result ...:thumbsup:

MB62
14-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Fine 7-2 victory for the Northern first XVI at home v Blackhall last night, should keep us up near the top.
Burnsie's first game of the season after my 4 week holiday results in a 34-9 win :thumbsup:

Having to go up to Grogie Mills tonight for the coronation fours, might have to wear a Hibs T-Shirt under the white bowling shirt, just to protect me from the cold you understand :wink: :greengrin

tanfield
14-05-2009, 07:47 AM
7 - 2 win for Whitehouse away to Merchiston in what was our first game of the season. Yours truly took one for the team:grr: 10-9 up after 11 ends and never scored again.

By the way how cold is it at night? Towards the end it was like picking up blocks of ice.

Sunny Leith
14-05-2009, 12:56 PM
A great 7-2 for the goldenacre last night over tanfield, myself highest up with only C Hutch down to Mally by 5. Bad news for you Burnsie, Sunny Leith has pulled out the Scottish pairs, decided to go in the u25's after winning it last monday at the club!

James Connolly
14-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Dalkeith 2 out of the knockout tonight, beaten 2-1 at home by Deantown.:boo hoo:

Hope we can pick it back up tomorrow night, away to Danderhall 2 in the league!

MB62
15-05-2009, 07:07 AM
A great 7-2 for the goldenacre last night over tanfield, myself highest up with only C Hutch down to Mally by 5. Bad news for you Burnsie, Sunny Leith has pulled out the Scottish pairs, decided to go in the u25's after winning it last monday at the club!

Well done on both fronts S.L. beating Tanfield is always good (isn't that right Andrew? :wink: :greengrin).
Was your U25 victory held over from last year?
Was looking forward to meeting you next Friday too but good luck in the U25's

We got beat by Pilrig in the Coronation Fours last night at a bloomin freezing cold Grogie Mills. Missed out on an extra end by half a bowls width with the last bowl of the game, thought I had played the perfect 'chap and lie shot to give us the required two but just got the wrong contact on their bowl :boo hoo:

Sunny Leith
15-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Well done on both fronts S.L. beating Tanfield is always good (isn't that right Andrew? :wink: :greengrin).
Was your U25 victory held over from last year?

We got beat by Pilrig in the Coronation Fours last night at a bloomin freezing cold Grogie Mills. Missed out on an extra end by half a bowls width with the last bowl of the game, thought I had played the perfect 'chap and lie shot to give us the required two but just got the wrong contact on their bowl :boo hoo:

Cheers Burnsie, it was yeah. Colin had his indoor and what have you so we decided to finish it off this season and I manged to get the job done. You will still enjoy playing against Ronnie, ive never seen the man upset yet!

Unlucky last night, sounds as if it was a very close game!

MSK
16-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Good 5-3 home win for the Jewel at home to Polton last night in terrible conditions ...other than our loss in the first game to Buccleuch we are starting to play with a bit more confidence now.....fingers crossed though as we are starting to hit holiday time etc so there will be a few changes in personnel in the coming weeks ...

James Connolly
16-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Good 5-3 home win for the Jewel at home to Polton last night in terrible conditions ...other than our loss in the first game to Buccleuch we are starting to play with a bit more confidence now.....fingers crossed though as we are starting to hit holiday time etc so there will be a few changes in personnel in the coming weeks ...

Well done mate, Polton had started the season well, so a good result.

Our 1st team got pumped 7-1 at home to Buccleuch, to continue their poor start of the season.

We kept up our 100% record with a 6-2 victory away to Danderhall 2.:thumbsup:

The only problem we have is; team 1 will probably start pinching our players, due to their bad start.

Mondays selection meeting will be interesting, I'll have to keep the heid if my fears come to fruition!:grr:

MSK
16-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Well done mate, Polton had started the season well, so a good result.

Our 1st team got pumped 7-1 at home to Buccleuch, to continue their poor start of the season.

We kept up our 100% record with a 6-2 victory away to Danderhall 2.:thumbsup:

The only problem we have is; team 1 will probably start pinching our players, due to their bad start.

Mondays selection meeting will be interesting, I'll have to keep the heid if my fears come to fruition!:grr:Cheers James & well done you lot, yer certainly motoring the now mate ...pity as you say there may be poaching from yer A team, thats inevitable though eh ? ...we thankfully dont have such a prob wi only having (what started as 20) we are not back down to a bare 16...the most will happen is a place on the bench....:greengrin

We have been fortunate enough though as its roughly the same 16 players that have carried us from the 5th to the 2nd division so they know the score ..

We have Polton again in the ko cup on Tues night so heres hoping for the double..

James Connolly
16-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Cheers James & well done you lot, yer certainly motoring the now mate ...pity as you say there may be poaching from yer A team, thats inevitable though eh ? ...we thankfully dont have such a prob wi only having (what started as 20) we are not back down to a bare 16...the most will happen is a place on the bench....:greengrin

We have been fortunate enough though as its roughly the same 16 players that have carried us from the 5th to the 2nd division so they know the score ..

We have Polton again in the ko cup on Tues night so heres hoping for the double..

Aye it is inevitable that we'll lose players to team 1, they do have 1st pick after all; still does your heid in though!

Hats off to the Jewel for doing so well, with such a small pool of players; good luck in the Knockout on Tuesday.

MSK
16-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Aye it is inevitable that we'll lose players to team 1, they do have 1st pick after all; still does your heid in though!

Hats off to the Jewel for doing so well, with such a small pool of players; good luck in the Knockout on Tuesday.Cheers James, we will have a shadow team out on Tues night i think, more likely we will pull a few "Seniors" in for that game as we will be pretty short ..im down to play but im working ..

As for your A team ..

A good few years back the Jewel had the luxury of having two teams ..the A team were very cliquey & no-one had a chance of getting in whereas the B team were much more flexible & would always give newcomers a chance...there were always pretty volatile exchanges between both teams throughout that time too ..

The inevitable happened though & the A team disbanded..we have built up what was left of the B team & the ironic thing is we have 2 or 3 players who played in the A team playing with us now however they have absolutley no influence on team matters....see, much less hassle wi one single team ...:greengrin

Lmc2105
16-05-2009, 05:19 PM
22-8 win for the whitehouse & grange on wednesday agaisnt ferranti was close but we ll done well in last couple of ends second game of the season!!:thumbsup:

MSK
16-05-2009, 05:49 PM
22-8 win for the whitehouse & grange on wednesday agaisnt ferranti was close but we ll done well in last couple of ends second game of the season!!:thumbsup:Do you play in the same team as Andy (Tanfield) ?

Lmc2105
17-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I am skip for the 3rd team,
but yeah ano andy:thumbsup:

i have him in our presidential trophy!!

tanfield
17-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I am skip for the 3rd team,
but yeah ano andy:thumbsup:

i have him in our presidential trophy!!

Good win on Wednesday Lee - congrats.

Looking forward to playing you Lee, should be a good game. Will try and get it sorted in the next couple weeks (sure we have time).

Good to have you on board. Things are looking up for Whitehouse and pray we get out of Div 4 this season.:agree:

tanfield
17-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Cheers Burnsie, it was yeah. Colin had his indoor and what have you so we decided to finish it off this season and I manged to get the job done. You will still enjoy playing against Ronnie, ive never seen the man upset yet!

Unlucky last night, sounds as if it was a very close game!

Aye, good win for the Acre on Wednesday and you had a good win against Graeme. Did he have the hands on the hips much???:greengrin

tanfield
17-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Well done on both fronts S.L. beating Tanfield is always good (isn't that right Andrew? :wink: :greengrin). Yeah yeah MikeWas your U25 victory held over from last year?

Unlucky by the sounds of things Mike. They didn't put you on rink 2 at Gorgie did they. Played that a couple of tims an no the best:agree:

Big week coming up. Prelim of the Singles on Tuesday at Caley:grr: That will be fun!

All the best to those playing in the Scottish next week, regardless of district.

Lmc2105
17-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Good win on Wednesday Lee - congrats.

Looking forward to playing you Lee, should be a good game. Will try and get it sorted in the next couple weeks (sure we have time).

Good to have you on board. Things are looking up for Whitehouse and pray we get out of Div 4 this season.:agree:

Thankyou Andy,:thumbsup:

yeah thats fine by me, looking forward to playing you myself i just need to practise a few more times but i feel am starting to get back to my best!!

yup we have a game on wed at home where are you abouts?

yup defo a good start for us long may that continue!!!:thumbsup:

Take care mate,

Ps good luck to every other bowler on there league and singles Games:thumbsup:

tanfield
18-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah, at home as well (I think!!). Didn't really enjoy playing on Merchiston last week

James Connolly
19-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Cheers James, we will have a shadow team out on Tues night i think, more likely we will pull a few "Seniors" in for that game as we will be pretty short ..im down to play but im working ..

As for your A team ..

A good few years back the Jewel had the luxury of having two teams ..the A team were very cliquey & no-one had a chance of getting in whereas the B team were much more flexible & would always give newcomers a chance...there were always pretty volatile exchanges between both teams throughout that time too ..

The inevitable happened though & the A team disbanded..we have built up what was left of the B team & the ironic thing is we have 2 or 3 players who played in the A team playing with us now however they have absolutley no influence on team matters....see, much less hassle wi one single team ...:greengrin

Well as feared, Team 1 have taken one of our skips for Friday!:grr:

As we were already struggling for back-end players, this is a real blow.

Means I'm making my debut as a skip, hardly ideal but should be a laugh if nothing else!:greengrin

MSK
19-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Well as feared, Team 1 have taken one of our skips for Friday!:grr:

As we were already struggling for back-end players, this is a real blow.

Means I'm making my debut as a skip, hardly ideal but should be a laugh if nothing else!:greengrinSee its worked in yer favour ..:thumbsup:

Seriously, i was absolutley kacking myself when i played lead, i just felt an unwanted pressure, a pressure that certainly affected my game, i played up short with the majority of my bowls but thanks to an equally nervous opponent many of my short bowls were "chapped" up & added to the count ...:greengrin

Good luck on yer skip debut..let us know how ye get on ...:thumbsup:

James Connolly
19-05-2009, 04:49 PM
See its worked in yer favour ..:thumbsup:

Seriously, i was absolutley kacking myself when i played lead, i just felt an unwanted pressure, a pressure that certainly affected my game, i played up short with the majority of my bowls but thanks to an equally nervous opponent many of my short bowls were "chapped" up & added to the count ...:greengrin

Good luck on yer skip debut..let us know how ye get on ...:thumbsup:

Will do; hopefully I'll not have to do too much!:pray::worried:

Sunny Leith
19-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Aye, good win for the Acre on Wednesday and you had a good win against Graeme. Did he have the hands on the hips much???:greengrin

Well the rink we were on was pretty woeful so don't think he was too impressed with that either! Big game on wed for us, a 7 would put us 14 points ahead of the berry already!

Halmyre Hibee
19-05-2009, 07:02 PM

Blazer back on for a friendly against Nitshill today; hope my liver holds up! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_7_3.gif

That wisnae a boolin match that was a drinking match. I think we got about 4 proper ends played. Everyone was going into the bar so we just played out of order to keep the game flowing.

Nice to see you guys again.

James Connolly
19-05-2009, 07:13 PM
That wisnae a boolin match that was a drinking match. I think we got about 4 proper ends played. Everyone was going into the bar so we just played out of order to keep the game flowing.

Nice to see you guys again.

Aye, can't really remember much about the day; great craic though!:thumbsup:

Halmyre Hibee
19-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Aye, can't really remember much about the day; great craic though!:thumbsup:

Your face was a picture when one of the weegies was going to sing the sash.

:fuming:

tanfield
19-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Managed to get through in the Scottish Singles tonight with a 21-5 win over the Corstorphine champion at Caledonian. Green was quite heavy so I just played long jacks and heaved them up:agree:

At Colinton next Tuesday in the 1st round proper.

Any other Scottish results tonight?

MB62
20-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Our young Junior, Darren Prentice, won at Goldenacre last night against Dudley.
Our SBA fours went down by a shot at Portobello.

George Prentice doesn't play until next week in the SBA singles.

BTW Andrew, is it right that you now have a certain Bob Linton as a member of your club?

Craig_in_Prague
20-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I'll be working back in the UK in August and Sept,

Looking forward to a game, and also seeing the Cabbage :thumbsup:

I'll be looking for some open tournaments in August to play in and lose early doors and then spend a fortune on drink :grr:

tanfield
20-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Our young Junior, Darren Prentice, won at Goldenacre last night against Dudley.
Our SBA fours went down by a shot at Portobello.

George Prentice doesn't play until next week in the SBA singles.

BTW Andrew, is it right that you now have a certain Bob Linton as a member of your club?

WHAT!!! You must be joking!

Do you think I would still be a member???

Seriously, that's a new one on me. As far as I'm aware he's safely tucked up in Dean.:greengrin

James Connolly
20-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Managed to get through in the Scottish Pairs tonight against Penicuik's pair, played at Arniston.

Dalkeith's singles player, Davy Salkeld, qualified for the next round also; after an almighty gob at the 2nd last end!:thumbsup:

Lmc2105
20-05-2009, 11:44 PM
win for us guys tonight agaisnt a good craigintinney side!!!

23-18:thumbsup:

2 in a row!!

cumon the whitehouse & grange!!

MB62
21-05-2009, 07:19 AM
WHAT!!! You must be joking!

Do you think I would still be a member???

Seriously, that's a new one on me. As far as I'm aware he's safely tucked up in Dean.:greengrin

I was unreliably informed that he had also joined your club Andrew, and is now a member of both WH&G AND Dean, but that could all be rubbish, although I wouldn't put it past Bob to do this :greengrin

MSK
21-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Managed to get through in the Scottish Pairs tonight against Penicuik's pair, played at Arniston.

Dalkeith's singles player, Davy Salkeld, qualified for the next round also; after an almighty gob at the 2nd last end!:thumbsup:Well done James..:thumbsup:...the nearest i get to playing in the Scottish is when i go to watch someone from my club ...:rolleyes:

tanfield
21-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Pumped again last night as Whitehouse slipped to a 7-2 defeat at home to West End. Getting better though. Lost by 10 shots last week and only 8 shots last night.

Saving myself for the Northern:greengrin

MSK
21-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Pumped again last night as Whitehouse slipped to a 7-2 defeat at home to West End. Getting better though. Lost by 10 shots last week and only 8 shots last night.

Saving myself for the Northern:greengrin:thumbsup:

sg7nil
21-05-2009, 10:13 AM
The (not so) Mighty Seafield slumped to their third straight defeat last night.. three games so far have all gone 5 - 4 so we still have 12 points and may well not be bottom of the league!

Fat Stu and I are playing in the ELBA pairs tonight at Hillside (V Pilrig) hopefully they'll just forget to turn up! :wink:

MB62
21-05-2009, 10:57 AM
The (not so) Mighty Seafield slumped to their third straight defeat last night.. three games so far have all gone 5 - 4 so we still have 12 points and may well not be bottom of the league!

Fat Stu and I are playing in the ELBA pairs tonight at Hillside (V Pilrig) hopefully they'll just forget to turn up! :wink:

Northern lost to Liberton 5-4 last night in a game that could have went 9-0 either way. After playing a great bowl at the last end to lie game and a 6-3 victory for us, their skip, auld George Blakie, who had a great himself, got a we bit lucky with his last bowl and ended up with two. I still had a very good chance to draw the shot and played one of the worst bowls you can ever imagine in a situation like that, short and tight :grr: :boo hoo:.

Saving myself for the big game against :hnet:

Playing in the Scotish Pairs at Seafield tomorrow night against Goldenacre. Going to take my big pencil with me as I couldn't draw a matchstick man last night :greengrin

MSK
21-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Im struggling to fulfill my ties this year due to work...i got beaten 21-18 in the Championship ...won 21-10 in the handicap (both of us off 5) but im more likely to be scratched from the 2 bowl single hand as i think it was to be played Sunday past ...i also have my hope pairs tie to be played by Tues !!!...i havent seen the cut off for my Scottish pairs tie (different partners) nor my triple nor my rink !!!!....:panic:

Seriously thinking of just leaving the bowls in the locker the rest o the season ..i feel its gonna be a complete wash oot for me ...:boo hoo:

James Connolly
21-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Im struggling to fulfill my ties this year due to work...i got beaten 21-18 in the Championship ...won 21-10 in the handicap (both of us off 5) but im more likely to be scratched from the 2 bowl single hand as i think it was to be played Sunday past ...i also have my hope pairs tie to be played by Tues !!!...i havent seen the cut off for my Scottish pairs tie (different partners) nor my triple nor my rink !!!!....:panic:

Seriously thinking of just leaving the bowls in the locker the rest o the season ..i feel its gonna be a complete wash oot for me ...:boo hoo:

I know the feeling mate; this time of year can be really hectic, trying to fulfil bowling commitments alongside work.

There's only so much you can do; if it means giving away a couple of single-hand ties, then so be it; it's harder when you're playing with other people though, as you don't want to leave them short.

MSK
21-05-2009, 04:27 PM
I know the feeling mate; this time of year can be really hectic, trying to fulfil bowling commitments alongside work.

There's only so much you can do; if it means giving away a couple of single-hand ties, then so be it; it's harder when you're playing with other people though, as you don't want to leave them short.Ive been on nights since November but i thought it would be easier to get along to the club ..not so as im too bloody knacked !!!..:greengrin ...as for the pairs etc ..i had the chance to pair up with my Scottish pairs partner for the hope pairs (2 bowl) he is retired & available at the drop of a hat however i decided to link up with a former Junior who has just been promoted to the Esk league team & he isnt as easy to get hold of ..bloody young uns !!! :grr:....:greengrin

MB62
22-05-2009, 07:07 AM

Sounds like you better get some practice in Kenny for the BIG game against the mighty Northern Hibees :greengrin

MSK
22-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Sounds like you better get some practice in Kenny for the BIG game against the mighty Northern Hibees :greengrinI play better when im angry ...:grr:.....:greengrin

James Connolly
22-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Better weather tonight than last Friday; hope we can keep our 100% record up, at home to Bonnyrigg!:pray:

MSK
22-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Better weather tonight than last Friday; hope we can keep our 100% record up, at home to Bonnyrigg!:pray:Good luck James, hope ye keep up yer impressive start ..oh ..& good luck as skip tonight ...:thumbsup:

I think we are away tonight to Loanhead Private tonigh ..im working though ...:rolleyes:

Fat Stu
22-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Glad they did turn up stu, 16-6 didn't even bother with the last end. although have to admit we got the rub of the green on more than one occasion.

on the point of league games i've still not lost one.

James Connolly
23-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Good luck James, hope ye keep up yer impressive start ..oh ..& good luck as skip tonight ...:thumbsup:

I think we are away tonight to Loanhead Private tonigh ..im working though ...:rolleyes:

Managed a 6-2 victory last night; unfortunately my rink got beat by 3 shots, but the 2 points is the main thing!:thumbsup:

Back down to 3rd next week...hopefully.:wink:

MSK
23-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Managed a 6-2 victory last night; unfortunately my rink got beat by 3 shots, but the 2 points is the main thing!:thumbsup:

Back down to 3rd next week...hopefully.:wink:Well done (skip) ..fek your gonna be back in the 2nd div in no time ..:thumbsup:

No sure of the Jewel result as Scotlawnbowls site is down, plus the fact no-one has phoned me ..i fear the worst ...:rolleyes:

MB62
25-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Got beat by Goldenacre in the SBA Pairs on Friday. I wont go into the ins and outs of the game, we probably deserved to come 2nd. What annoys me is when you come to the Northern, Scottish ties are given the same respect in the draw for rinks as any club member but invariably, when we visit other clubs in the Scottish, we end up on 'end rinks'.
On Friday, it happened again but I was reliably informed that this club reckon their end rink is the best they have. Given that's the case, thank the good lord they didn't put us on their worst rink, it makes the Northern members really appreciate just how good our green is compared to most others.
Not sour grapes at getting beat, just frustrating at certain clubs standards or policies.

MSK
25-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Got beat by Goldenacre in the SBA Pairs on Friday. I wont go into the ins and outs of the game, we probably deserved to come 2nd. What annoys me is when you come to the Northern, Scottish ties are given the same respect in the draw for rinks as any club member but invariably, when we visit other clubs in the Scottish, we end up on 'end rinks'.
On Friday, it happened again but I was reliably informed that this club reckon their end rink is the best they have. Given that's the case, thank the good lord they didn't put us on their worst rink, it makes the Northern members really appreciate just how good our green is compared to most others.
Not sour grapes at getting beat, just frustrating at certain clubs standards or policies.Pretty crap that Mike, any club (Scottish ties) that come to the Jewel are given rinks 2 3 or 4 ..dates are put in the calendar so any home comps must be played on the outside rinks ...

Ps ..we got hammered in the Esk on Friday at Loanhead ..no excuses..these guys were **** hot ...:rolleyes:

Sunny Leith
26-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Not sour grapes at getting beat, just frustrating at certain clubs standards or policies.

Hard lines Burnsie, Rink 1 is easily the best rink on that green, I should know cause I played on it for years! Because of the amount of ties there were that night, 7 rinks were put on instead of the usual 6 so I guess that was why the tighter hand was dodgier than usual along with the big swinger (that hand never changes).

I go out in the u25 tonight against tanfield at Queensbury!

MB62
26-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Hard lines Burnsie, Rink 1 is easily the best rink on that green, I should know cause I played on it for years! Because of the amount of ties there were that night, 7 rinks were put on instead of the usual 6 so I guess that was why the tighter hand was dodgier than usual along with the big swinger (that hand never changes).

I go out in the u25 tonight against tanfield at Queensbury!That being the case then I apologise to Leith. However, with 7 rinks being on (I did actually notice this) playing on an end rink made it an illegal set up as the side ditch, particularly at one corner, did not have the required distance between ditch and edge of rink. Leith are not alone of course in this, there are many greens that simply cannot meet that requirement (2 yards I believe, which is a lot)

Good luck tonight in your U25's game tonight.

tanfield
26-05-2009, 09:10 PM
papped in the Singles tonight 21-9 against Alan Brown (Gorgie Mills). Struggled with my weight all night but was 8-7 up at one point. Alan really came onto a game and no contest at the end:boo hoo:

Lmc2105
26-05-2009, 09:28 PM
papped in the Singles tonight 21-9 against Alan Brown (Gorgie Mills). Struggled with my weight all night but was 8-7 up at one point. Alan really came onto a game and no contest at the end:boo hoo:

hard luck andy,

lets hope you get more luck tomorrow,

we are away to coltbridge and a don't have half my team:boo hoo:
so a few replacements but hopefully we can get something,

and its us on the 4th so hopeing to get a we bit practise for that

anyways see you at the club mate,:thumbsup:

sg7nil
26-05-2009, 10:11 PM

You had mentioned that you were supposed to be playing at Seafield... was that a slip of the tongue? I organise the rinks for external ties and (like Happy) we always put them on rinks 2,3 and 4 so I was surprised to see you claimed to be on an end rink...

As it happens we had a SBA triple on Friday at Seafield, and they were on rink 2, but as we had the green running "the wrong way" (away from the clubhouse), they weren't happy as they were playing directly into the low sun... tough huh!:dummytit:

MB62
27-05-2009, 07:19 AM
You had mentioned that you were supposed to be playing at Seafield... was that a slip of the tongue? I organise the rinks for external ties and (like Happy) we always put them on rinks 2,3 and 4 so I was surprised to see you claimed to be on an end rink...

As it happens we had a SBA triple on Friday at Seafield, and they were on rink 2, but as we had the green running "the wrong way" (away from the clubhouse), they weren't happy as they were playing directly into the low sun... tough huh!:dummytit:

Slip of the Brain. I misread the board and turned up at Seafield, shoes changed, bowls out, then in come three from Goldenacre. I thought, good on you for supporting the club but coming fully dressed is a bit much. Then they all started changing into bowling shoes and that's when I queeried their intentions. Turns out, we were in the wrong venue but fortunately (?) we were playing over in Leith so made it no problem. I knew we were playing Goldenacre but didn't look at the board properly and ended up at the wrong place. :asshole:

MSK
27-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Slip of the Brain. I misread the board and turned up at Seafield, shoes changed, bowls out, then in come three from Goldenacre. I thought, good on you for supporting the club but coming fully dressed is a bit much. Then they all started changing into bowling shoes and that's when I queeried their intentions. Turns out, we were in the wrong venue but fortunately (?) we were playing over in Leith so made it no problem. I knew we were playing Goldenacre but didn't look at the board properly and ended up at the wrong place. :asshole:Sorry Mike...:faf:

sg7nil
27-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Slip of the Brain. I misread the board and turned up at Seafield, shoes changed, bowls out, then in come three from Goldenacre. I thought, good on you for supporting the club but coming fully dressed is a bit much. Then they all started changing into bowling shoes and that's when I queeried their intentions. Turns out, we were in the wrong venue but fortunately (?) we were playing over in Leith so made it no problem. I knew we were playing Goldenacre but didn't look at the board properly and ended up at the wrong place. :asshole:

You were bloody lucky you were at Seafield then.. Imagine you'd turned up at Niddrie or somewhere further away!... I better check that it's actually Merchiston I'm at tomorrow now.. ELBA ties can be bloody anywhere and I don't want to find I should actually be at Balerno or Currie!

James Connolly
27-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Got through to the last 8 in the Scottish Pairs tonight (District 13); beat the Jewel 20-9 at Pathead.

Game was close all the way through, until the last 3-4 ends.

Pathead (rink 3) was running really well; but very tricky at certain lengths.

Lmc2105
27-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Whitehouse & Grange :thumbsup:

We won by 3 shots at Coltbridge tonight great result 3 on the bounce for us!!!

Coltbridge 12 - 15 Whitehouse & Grange

Long may it continue!!:wink:

MSK
28-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Got through to the last 8 in the Scottish Pairs tonight (District 13); beat the Jewel 20-9 at Pathead.

Game was close all the way through, until the last 3-4 ends.

Pathead (rink 3) was running really well; but very tricky at certain lengths.Who were you playing James ...was it Brian Forbes & Phil Mould ...?

MB62
28-05-2009, 07:11 AM
7-2 away win for the Northern first XVI at Brunstane last night. Most delighted with that result and yours truly managed to hold out for a victory too. :thumbsup:

tanfield
28-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Whitehouse & Grange :thumbsup:

We won by 3 shots at Coltbridge tonight great result 3 on the bounce for us!!!

Coltbridge 12 - 15 Whitehouse & Grange

Long may it continue!!:wink:

Well done Lee, great stuff! Your days in the 3rd team may be numbered:wink:

1st XVI crashed to a 7-2 defeat at home to Portobello although could have been a 7-2 for us as 2 rinks were beat by a shot but I managed to sneak a 1 shot victory. First league win of the season.

That's two 7-2 defeats at home on the bounce and there will be changes for our next game in a couple of weeks.

MSK
28-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Playing my 2 bowl single hand second round tie at 11.00 this morn ..just finished night shift so my tiredness may determine the outcome of this match ...

Getting my excuses in early ...:greengrin

James Connolly
28-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Who were you playing James ...was it Brian Forbes & Phil Mould ...?

No, not sure who it was, the lead was called Mick...cannae mind the skips 1st name.

MSK
28-05-2009, 02:24 PM
No, not sure who it was, the lead was called Mick...cannae mind the skips 1st name.No Mick (i hate a rum tae myself) Mglauchlan ...:confused:....grey hair & a face like a sun blushed tomato ...:greengrin

Just got beat in my 2 bowl single hand..21-17 ...was 19-12 down & heading out until i pulled back 2-2-1...however my opponent drew the 2 he needed to progress, a thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish ...:agree:

James Connolly
28-05-2009, 02:31 PM
No Mick (i hate a rum tae myself) Mglauchlan ...:confused:....grey hair & a face like a sun blushed tomato ...:greengrin

Just got beat in my 2 bowl single hand..21-17 ...was 19-12 down & heading out until i pulled back 2-2-1...however my opponent drew the 2 he needed to progress, a thoroughly enjoyable game from start to finish ...:agree:

No, guy in his early forties maybe, wore glasses; skip was a skinnier guy wi ginger hair.

Unlucky in your 2 bowl, these nightshifts are probably affecting you!:wink:

MSK
28-05-2009, 02:35 PM
No, guy in his early forties maybe, wore glasses; skip was a skinnier guy wi ginger hair.

Unlucky in your 2 bowl, these nightshifts are probably affecting you!:wink:Thats bugging me now James ...:hmmm:

As for the two bowl...ah well ..i got my excuse in early....:greengrin...i honestly did enjoy it though, no often i say that after a defeat (which im used to nowadays :greengrin)....

James Connolly
28-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Big game for Dalkeith 2 tomorrow night, away to Inveresk; both teams undefeated, with only 1 point seperating us.

Unfortunately had to drop myself to reserve; got a retirement do in the afternoon, so didn't want to let anyone down by turning up half-pissed!

Just hope everyone turns up.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_11.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZNxpt468YYGB (http://www.smileycentral.com/dl/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb113_ZNxpt468YYGB&utm_id=7921)

James Connolly
30-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Dalkeith 2 beaten 6-2 by Inveresk!:boo hoo:

Sunny Leith
03-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Through to the semi's of the scottish u25's after playing Craig from your club, he played some good bowls and did well to save the game on more than one occasion!

sg7nil
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Aye, well done.

Craig is still young and will improve.. he still has another five or six attempts at the under 25's.... :wink:

Hope you didn't tire him out too much, we need him tonight against Burnsies Northern mob!

P.S. unfortunately he's a jambo :jamboak:but you can't have everything.

MB62
03-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Aye, well done.

Craig is still young and will improve.. he still has another five or six attempts at the under 25's.... :wink:

Hope you didn't tire him out too much, we need him tonight against Burnsies Northern mob!

I heard he was knackered and in danger of failing a late fitness test for tonight's big game :wink: :greengrin

James Connolly
03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Won in the Scottish Pairs (District 13) tonight; Semi-Final next week at Polton. :thumbsup:

MB62
04-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Aye, well done.

Ah, these young whipper snappers, cannae handle two games in two days. The mighty Northern gave the Seafield boys a wee bit of a lesson last night with a 7-2 home win. :thumbsup:
Young Craig did ok against us but it was too cold last night for anybody to settle in and find any form. Lucky sg7nil managed to scrape a victory at the last end, oh, well, at least he will have won one game at the Northern this season :wink: :greengrin

sg7nil
04-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Ah, these young whipper snappers, cannae handle two games in two days. The mighty Northern gave the Seafield boys a wee bit of a lesson last night with a 7-2 home win. :thumbsup:
Young Craig did ok against us but it was too cold last night for anybody to settle in and find any form. Lucky sg7nil managed to scrape a victory at the last end, oh, well, at least he will have won one game at the Northern this season :wink: :greengrin

Better lucky than good! :wink:

To be fair we were 14 - 6 up after 13 ends :on toast! but lost a daft 6 to make the last few ends a bit more interesting...... it was peels at 14 playing the last (which was just a bit TOO interesting for my liking!) but with us having last bowl and already lying three, Ian drew another to make it 18-14 in the end.. result was never in doubt (:worried:)

P.S. nice pies! :thumbsup:

MB62
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Better lucky than good! :wink:

To be fair we were 14 - 6 up after 13 ends :on toast! but lost a daft 6 to make the last few ends a bit more interesting...... it was peels at 14 playing the last (which was just a bit TOO interesting for my liking!) but with us having last bowl and already lying three, Ian drew another to make it 18-14 in the end.. result was never in doubt (:worried:)

P.S. nice pies! :thumbsup:

What about the daft six you picked up early in the game, or was that six not daft? :greengrin

Aye, he drew another shot when he trying to play it high and wide and away from the head as the game was over :grr:

Enjoyed the night mind, nice guys to play against and we had some fun banter whilst playing serious bowls.
Pity about the freezing cold night, our lead Stan looked like a :snowman1 at the end he was that white (although he hands were nearly purple)

James Connolly
06-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Dalkeith (2) 8 - 0 Gilmerton Welfare; that's 6 wins out of 7 to keep us in contention in the league. :thumbsup:

MSK
06-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Dalkeith (2) 8 - 0 Gilmerton Welfare; that's 6 wins out of 7 to keep us in contention in the league. :thumbsup:Well done again James...the way you lot are going me & you are gonna be having a couple o pints together next season....:thumbsup:

Ps...no idea of how the Jewel got on as ive been working Fridays ...:boo hoo:

James Connolly
06-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Well done again James...the way you lot are going me & you are gonna be having a couple o pints together next season....:thumbsup:

Ps...no idea of how the Jewel got on as ive been working Fridays ...:boo hoo:

Hope so mate; massive game against Wallyford away, next week.

Our team 1 got pumped by Polton in your league last night.

MSK
06-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Hope so mate; massive game against Wallyford away, next week.

Our team 1 got pumped by Polton in your league last night.We played EL-COOP last night (still to find the score) but i see they are top of the league...we had real ding dong battles wi them the last few years, a very unsporting team btw..

We won the 5th & left them behind....then we were runners up in the 4th & they were still struggling in the 5th ...we won the 3rd then they got promoted to the 4th ...we stayed in the second & they moved into the 3rd ..now they are in & top of our league !!!! ...they must have pulled in a few good players & it wouldnae surprise me if Tattie Marshall is playing the odd game here & there ....:greengrin

MSK
06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
News just in...we lost 7-1 at home to Elco ...:grr:

James Connolly
06-06-2009, 09:33 AM
We played EL-COOP last night (still to find the score) but i see they are top of the league...we had real ding dong battles wi them the last few years, a very unsporting team btw..

We won the 5th & left them behind....then we were runners up in the 4th & they were still struggling in the 5th ...we won the 3rd then they got promoted to the 4th ...we stayed in the second & they moved into the 3rd ..now they are in & top of our league !!!! ...they must have pulled in a few good players & it wouldnae surprise me if Tattie Marshall is playing the odd game here & there ....:greengrin

Aye, they're certainly doing well; maybe need dope tested?:greengrin

Just got a text to say Inveresk got beat last night, which puts us back on top of the league!:thumbsup:

I see our 1st team is down at the Jewel in a fortnight; should be an easy 2 points for you that night!:wink:

MSK
06-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Aye, they're certainly doing well; maybe need dope tested?:greengrin

Just got a text to say Inveresk got beat last night, which puts us back on top of the league!:thumbsup:

I see our 1st team is down at the Jewel in a fortnight; should be an easy 2 points for you that night!:wink:I think the Jewel need breathalised before they go out !!! :party:.....:greengrin

As for your first team well i wouldnae bank on anything at the moment, we are so unpredictable ..even at the Jewel ..:greengrin

I expect to be involved next 2 weeks but more likely to be on the bench which means Butler duties !!! :party:

Sunny Leith
10-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Managed to get through to the final of the district 11 u25's after a 21-13 win last night. Play Chris Steven in the final, which should be an enjoyable game, hopefully a confidence booster before the :hnet: game haha.

tanfield
10-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Congratulations in getting through last night, judging by the scoreline it looks a comfortable win for you. All the best in the District Final and certainly nothing to fear from Chris although I guess you know him better than most:wink:

Can I take your last sentence as comfirmation of your availability for the :hnet: team?:worried::pray:

Would be a BIG boost to the team

Sunny Leith
10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Congratulations in getting through last night, judging by the scoreline it looks a comfortable win for you. All the best in the District Final and certainly nothing to fear from Chris although I guess you know him better than most:wink:

Can I take your last sentence as comfirmation of your availability for the :hnet: team?:worried::pray:

Would be a BIG boost to the team

Cheers Tanfield, should be a good game. At the moment I would count me in, at the moment I dont see it being a problem apart from getting there, I do live in Wallyford these days!

sg7nil
10-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Managed to get through to the final of the district 11 u25's after a 21-13 win last night. Play Chris Steven in the final, which should be an enjoyable game, hopefully a confidence booster before the :hnet: game haha.
Aye, good luck against Chris... hope yer bools are insured against breakage.. he likes to drive from time to time! :duck:

He canny be that good, we knocked him and wee Chico out of the ELBA Coronation pairs this year!

MB62
10-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Cheers Tanfield, should be a good game. At the moment I would count me in, at the moment I dont see it being a problem apart from getting there, I do live in Wallyford these days!

Bus from Wallyford to York Place (assuming you don't have a car) then a number 8 (or 10 minute walk) down Broughton Street to Canonmills and you're there.
Of course, if this is you getting your excuses in early as you fear another defeat, then that's understandable. :wink: :greengrin

tanfield
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Bus from Wallyford to York Place (assuming you don't have a car) then a number 8 (or 10 minute walk) down Broughton Street to Canonmills and you're there.
Of course, if this is you getting your excuses in early as you fear another defeat, then that's understandable. :wink: :greengrin

He does play for Goldenacre Mike. Sure he knows the way:greengrin

MSK
10-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Cheers Tanfield, should be a good game. At the moment I would count me in, at the moment I dont see it being a problem apart from getting there, I do live in Wallyford these days!I hope to be getting a lift down wi my wife mate (have to see if she is off work) if so i could prob arrange to pick you up at Jewel & Esk college (Milton rd)...nowt promised the noo though as like i say depends on her shifts ...taxi home maybe :party: (unless i can charm her again)....:greengrin

Lmc2105
10-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Whitehouse&Grange!!

Well done guys great results tonight!!

my rink were playing Parkside and we won 16 -15 very close game went down to a measure last end!!

while in the other 4 rinks Andy(Tanfield) and co wiped up.

Great result Agaisnt the Civil!!

The only way is up for the Grange Happy days!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

tanfield
11-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Whitehouse&Grange!!

Well done guys great results tonight!!

my rink were playing Parkside and we won 16 -15 very close game went down to a measure last end!!

while in the other 4 rinks Andy(Tanfield) and co wiped up.

Great result Agaisnt the Civil!!

The only way is up for the Grange Happy days!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Aye, Whitehouse got their season back on track with a 9-0 home win against Civil Service. Great result considering Civil won 7-2 at Whitehouse last year. Your truly won by 1 shot:thumbsup:

Another great result for you Lee. Good to see you in the Edinburgh Cup team to play Mayfield.

James Connolly
11-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Annihilated in the District 13 pairs semi-final last night; the pair that beat us thoroughly deserved it.

I'm just pissed off that I didn't perform at all; didn't give my skip a chance all night!:grr:

Craig_in_Prague
12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
The winner of the predictor, Mcdonald from Colinton BC!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/8078254.stm

James Connolly
13-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Dalkeith 2 beaten by Wallyford last night, to cap off a miserable week on the bowling front!:grr:

MB62
18-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Bad result for us Northern lads last night as we lost 7-2 at home to Tramways. With about 5 ends to go, it looked like we were heading comfortbaly for a 7-2 win ourselves then all of a sudden, drastic changes in the score in two rinks (yes, mine was one) and the whole game turned on its head :boo hoo: :grr:

James Connolly
18-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Dalkeith will have 2 reps through at Ayr in July; Triples & Senior Rinks, well done lads!:thumbsup:

James Connolly
19-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Selected myself on the bench for tonights game; hopefully the rest will do me some good!:agree:

MSK
21-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Lost to Dalkeith & Gorebridge....after a decent start were relegation fodder now..lost the last 4 on the trot ...guys just seem to have given up ...

MB62
25-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Fantastic 7-2 win for the Northern last night, achieved by an equally fantastic last bowl of the match by a certain Burnsie07 to turn a 5-4 defeat into a 7-2 win :wink: :thumbsup:

Lmc2105
25-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Win for Whitehouse & Grange

My rink we won 27-10 at home against trinity

i played gash nothing like my .net form :wink:

but all credit to my team mates :thumbsup:

mon the Grange!!!:greengrin

Fat Stu
25-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Seafield still haven't won a game this season, starting to look like relegation fodder if we don't get our act together. On another note got my new (white)bowls on order, can't wait to see them.

MSK
25-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Seafield still haven't won a game this season, starting to look like relegation fodder if we don't get our act together. On another note got my new (white)bowls on order, can't wait to see them.Well ye certainly wont miss them ...they will be pretty dazzling ..:greengrin

MB62
26-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Well ye certainly wont miss them ...they will be pretty dazzling ..:greengrin

I certainly wont miss them next year when you lot go 2-1 down to the Northern Hibees. :wink:

I will be getting fired in about them :greengrin

sg7nil
26-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Seafield still haven't won a game this season, starting to look like relegation fodder if we don't get our act together. On another note got my new (white)bowls on order, can't wait to see them.

Does that mean that we will have to order coloured chalk to be able to mark them... or are you just not going to have any touchers? :wink:

MSK
26-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Does that mean that we will have to order coloured chalk to be able to mark them... or are you just not going to have any touchers? :wink::greengrin

Fat Stu
26-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Does that mean that we will have to order coloured chalk to be able to mark them... or are you just not going to have any touchers? :wink:

I borrow/steal some chalk off the child, these things will be like magnets, bugger buying coloured bowls and being 2 yards short, i'd look like a right numpty(cue the jokes about already looking like a numpty).

MSK
27-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I borrow/steal some chalk off the child, these things will be like magnets, bugger buying coloured bowls and being 2 yards short, i'd look like a right numpty(cue the jokes about already looking like a numpty).I would have thought white bowls were illegal !! ..that would be a nightmare for me ..white bowls v white jack !!! :rolleyes:

MB62
28-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Northern beat Corstorphine in the Top Five Singles on Sunday. Been a very good week for us following two 7-2 wins by our XVI's in the league on Wednesday and 6-0 Whitewash of Blackhall in the Edinburgh Cup on Friday.

tanfield
28-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Good stuff Mike:thumbsup:

Whitehouse out of the cup by Mayfield although from a personal point of view pleased with my win at Mayfield (was running great even in the drizzle:agree:).

We're due to play Slateford in the next week or so. Will be a tough game but we won last year so no reason why we cannot do it again.

MB62
02-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Having taken care of Blackhall in the Edinburgh Cup on Friday, we played them in the league last and almost had a repeat white wash performance. Not quite though, as one of the rinks peeled to give the Northern a 8 - 1 win :thumbsup:

tanfield
02-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Poor result for Whitehouse last night at home. Could only manage a 5-4 defeat by Merchiston although from my own perspective happy that I won my game - 50% for the season so far:greengrin

Looks like we will be staying in Div 4 this year:grr:

MB62
02-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Poor result for Whitehouse last night at home. Could only manage a 5-4 defeat by Merchiston although from my own perspective happy that I won my game - 50% for the season so far:greengrin

Looks like we will be staying in Div 4 this year:grr:

Is it still 2 up from your league Andy?
I wouldn't be giving up yet if that's the case.

tanfield
02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Is it still 2 up from your league Andy?
I wouldn't be giving up yet if that's the case.

Only 4 games to go and at least 10 points of the pace. Would need to at least 7's to put us in the frame.

Not saying it's not possible, just unlikely:wink:

MB62
02-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Stu,

How did Seafield get on last night?

Sunny Leith
02-07-2009, 01:09 PM
5-4 defeat for the acre away to tanfield but still a fairly good result for us, 5 wins out of 9 for me this season so delighted with that! Think we are 16 points clear of the relegation places so we could only throw it away! Had the Grange for a win on the haines prediction league again, I never call your score right :grr:

PS. Seafield got beat 3.5-5.5 of Liberton.

tanfield
02-07-2009, 08:47 PM
5-4 defeat for the acre away to tanfield but still a fairly good result for us, 5 wins out of 9 for me this season so delighted with that! Think we are 16 points clear of the relegation places so we could only throw it away! Had the Grange for a win on the haines prediction league again, I never call your score right :grr:

PS. Seafield got beat 3.5-5.5 of Liberton.

Aye, schoolboy error there Nicky. Whitehouse are at their erratic best

Fat Stu
02-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Stu,

How did Seafield get on last night?

5.5 3.5 down as sunny said, nightmare night turned for us by 2 ends, peels at 7 and they trail the white twice to make 5, then lying 6 and the skip come of a short bowl and lands right on top of the white, needless to say our rink lost the plot after that:grr:.

On another note we were discussing the merits of tight bowls aka tigers, classic II's and the like, I wish they'd ban these bowls on outdoor greens as there is no effing skillin throwing a bowl right down the middle of a green. My new bowls are vectors as i'm going down the if you cannae bet them join them route.

MB62
03-07-2009, 07:39 AM
On another note we were discussing the merits of tight bowls aka tigers, classic II's and the like, I wish they'd ban these bowls on outdoor greens as there is no effing skillin throwing a bowl right down the middle of a green. My new bowls are vectors as i'm going down the if you cannae bet them join them route.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Not you as well Stu. :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall
I have been arguing quite heatedly on a few occasions about this with a certain member of our club, and it has nearly come to blows once or twice.

Just a few weeks ago I challanged him to a game on the green with a £20 donation to charity.
I said I would play with his 'swinging' bowls and he could chuck my classic 11's right down the middle all night if he thinks they are 'straight'.
Of course he declined the invitation as he knows damn well they are not straight, they just take a late draw and there is as much skill judging that as anything else.
Of course, if the green is crap and running with tight hands, then classic etc can punished badly with short bowls, but the skill is to adapt your game to suit.

Anybody wanting to chuck my classic 11's up and down the middle at the Northern are more than welcome to try, I can assure you, you will be nowhere near the Jack, and that's with our green running the heaviest we have ever known it. :grr: :grr: :grr:

tanfield
03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Tend to agree with you Mike. Straight bowls are not straight as such as although they may take a tighter line they don't have the hook finish associated with a normal bowl.

When I played you Mike apart from an outrageous tight line you found early on, your bowls were bending a bit.

For me I will always stick to bog standard Henselites outdoors. I've seen too many games when someone playing with Tigers, Classic II's etc have just been over the weight and held by. At the end of the day though each to their own!

You got your white bowls yet Stu??

Managed to scrape through in the club championship last night. Whitehouse is awful this year as the moss has been killed but has left gaps all over the place and so many bowls last night were affected by more than one bump.

Only had one drive and lifted my 3 second shots clear of the head. Never again:greengrin Still managed to dig a win out which is the important thing however if I keep playing like that my hopes will be over soon.

Anyone else still competing in their Champs?

MB62
03-07-2009, 08:52 AM

Me, but I've only played one game. I got a bye into the first round proper, won my game, was due to play on Tuesday in the next round, only to find out my opponent had also arranged to play his Triples tie that same night :brickwall

As I thought it was easier to re-arrange a singles game rather than a triples, I let him go ahead with that game and am playing next Thursday instead.

Fat Stu
03-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Mike what i've discovered alot of bowlers doing with these bowls on our green(which had 2 pretty tight lines last night) was grassing there bowl directly at the shot bowl with a yard and a bit on and chapping out the shot and lying shot themselves. These things did bend late on a draw but ran straight most of the way. IMHO this isn't even a timing shot it's freaking ridiculous that a bowl holds a line that long.

I am through to the quaters of the championship and my bowls will be with me in a week or two.

Sunny Leith
03-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Tend to agree with you Mike. Straight bowls are not straight as such as although they may take a tighter line they don't have the hook finish associated with a normal bowl.

When I played you Mike apart from an outrageous tight line you found early on, your bowls were bending a bit.

For me I will always stick to bog standard Henselites outdoors. I've seen too many games when someone playing with Tigers, Classic II's etc have just been over the weight and held by. At the end of the day though each to their own!

You got your white bowls yet Stu??

Managed to scrape through in the club championship last night. Whitehouse is awful this year as the moss has been killed but has left gaps all over the place and so many bowls last night were affected by more than one bump.

Only had one drive and lifted my 3 second shots clear of the head. Never again:greengrin Still managed to dig a win out which is the important thing however if I keep playing like that my hopes will be over soon.

Not me, papped by Colin who played some quite ridiculous bowls.

I must admit, when I see someone playing with tigers who chuck them up the middle while im having to throw them out wide it makes me want to change my bowls from time to time. I have taylor lignoids which are probably the swingiest bowls out there, very useful for steady greens but if I go to Craigy or Northern when its fast, its practically impossible for me to get them anywhere near the white.

I might try out the taylor aces in things like the 2 bowl and handicap to see how I get on but i'm still playing some good bowls so no real need to change.

MB62
03-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Mike what i've discovered alot of bowlers doing with these bowls on our green(which had 2 pretty tight lines last night) was grassing there bowl directly at the shot bowl with a yard and a bit on and chapping out the shot and lying shot themselves. These things did bend late on a draw but ran straight most of the way. IMHO this isn't even a timing shot it's freaking ridiculous that a bowl holds a line that long.

I am through to the quaters of the championship and my bowls will be with me in a week or two.

Horses for courses Stu, or bowls for rinks.
It probably is annoying, and TBH, it is the main reason for me changing my original bowls, which had an incredible swing on them, to the Classic 11's.

Every year I was coming up against guys playing with Classic 11's and I was toiling badly against them. Now things have evened themselves out and I am competing on level terms with them.

MB62
06-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Burnsie07 getting his two moments of fame recently folks.
Going to have to widen the doors at the Northern so I can get my heid through them :wink: :greengrin

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Bowls-Tanfield-skipper-Munro-saves.5431441.jp

Meanwhile, another corker of a cup tie saw Northern facing a 10-2 exit to Dudley before escaping to an 8-4 victory after performing a Houdini-type act on three of their rinks.

Northern's home leg saw their rink of Jim Prentice Darren, Prentice, Ian Miller and Roy Campbell standing 14-12 down with two to play but then land a late 1, 2 to snatch a 15-14 victory over Peter Miller.

Dudley won on the other two rinks with Peter Whitten edging a 14-12 victory against George Prentice and Colin Barr skipping S Hawthorn, R Louden and J Donald to a 20-11 triumph over Alan Mitchell.

It was Dudley's home form that let the Division 1 side down, in the end, however.

Northern's Gordon Wilson trailed 14-9 with three ends to play but produced a sizzling run of 4, 3, 1 to skip Andy Irvine, Grant Young and Ian McDonald to a 17-14 win.

Jimmy Bathgate added more points for the visitors by skipping Bob Bain, Ronnie Scott and Gary Hanson to an 18-11 success over Graham Flight.

The climax to the match was a tightrope situation with Dudley just needing to win the remaining game to make their superior shot margin count and it was 10-10 playing the last.

Les Miller held match shot for Dudley but last-bowl heroics from Mike Burns saw him "chap and lie" to skip Jim Martin, Mike Morrison and Jim Henderson to an 11-10 win that tipped the scales for the underdogs.

Fat Stu
06-07-2009, 06:10 PM
seafield beat gorgie mills in the top 5 singles on sunday, yours truly won 21-17.

MSK
06-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Going to have to widen the doors at the Northern so I can get my heid through them :wink: :greengrin

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Bowls-Tanfield-skipper-Munro-saves.5431441.jp

Meanwhile, another corker of a cup tie saw Northern facing a 10-2 exit to Dudley before escaping to an 8-4 victory after performing a Houdini-type act on three of their rinks.

Northern's home leg saw their rink of Jim Prentice Darren, Prentice, Ian Miller and Roy Campbell standing 14-12 down with two to play but then land a late 1, 2 to snatch a 15-14 victory over Peter Miller.

Dudley won on the other two rinks with Peter Whitten edging a 14-12 victory against George Prentice and Colin Barr skipping S Hawthorn, R Louden and J Donald to a 20-11 triumph over Alan Mitchell.

It was Dudley's home form that let the Division 1 side down, in the end, however.

Northern's Gordon Wilson trailed 14-9 with three ends to play but produced a sizzling run of 4, 3, 1 to skip Andy Irvine, Grant Young and Ian McDonald to a 17-14 win.

Jimmy Bathgate added more points for the visitors by skipping Bob Bain, Ronnie Scott and Gary Hanson to an 18-11 success over Graham Flight.

The climax to the match was a tightrope situation with Dudley just needing to win the remaining game to make their superior shot margin count and it was 10-10 playing the last.

Les Miller held match shot for Dudley but last-bowl heroics from Mike Burns saw him "chap and lie" to skip Jim Martin, Mike Morrison and Jim Henderson to an 11-10 win that tipped the scales for the underdogs.Was that Gordon Wilson who played against hibs.net last year...Carpet fitter bloke fi Musselburgh ?

I think i remember playing against a Hilson & a Wilson ...:greengrin

Fat Stu
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM

Les Miller held match shot for Dudley but last-bowl heroics from Mike Burns saw him "chap and lie" to skip Jim Martin, Mike Morrison and Jim Henderson to an 11-10 win that tipped the scales for the underdogs.

That i'll be a straight bowl with a yard on with your classic II's then:wink:

MB62
07-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Was that Gordon Wilson who played against hibs.net last year...Carpet fitter bloke fi Musselburgh ?

I think i remember playing against a Hilson & a Wilson ...:greengrin

Sure was Kenny. Neither the guys could make the BIG game this year because they were playing in the EBL charity game on the same day.
They will hopefully be back next year though so :hnet: better watch out :greengrin

MB62
07-07-2009, 07:11 AM
That i'll be a straight bowl with a yard on with your classic II's then:wink:

A beautifully, perfect drawn bowl off a big swining hand, perfect weight, perfect grass, chap and lie and the game was ours.:wink: :greengrin

tanfield
07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
A beautifully, perfect drawn bowl off a big swining hand, perfect weight, perfect grass, chap and lie and the game was ours.:wink: :greengrin

Aye, great stuff Mike. You've came on a bit since I last played you:devil:

MB62
07-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Aye, great stuff Mike. You've came on a bit since I last played you:devil:

I couldnae admit to Stu that it was really a straight down the middle, yard on, classic11 shot. :wink: :greengrin

tanfield
08-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Whitehouse defeated in Top Five. 4-1 against Slateford (at Slateford). I was last off and managed to get the token victory.

Away to West End in the league tonight. Prediction - 7 - 2 win for West End.

tanfield
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Away to West End in the league tonight. Prediction - 7 - 2 win for West End.[/QUOTE]

Almost got my prediction right but the other way round. Excellent 7-2 win away to West End. Whitehouse's roller coaster season continues:greengrin

Sunny Leith
08-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Away to West End in the league tonight. Prediction - 7 - 2 win for West End.

Almost got my prediction right but the other way round. Excellent 7-2 win away to West End. Whitehouse's roller coaster season continues:greengrin[/QUOTE]

Aye cheers for the prediction mate :rolleyes:

We won 7-2 ourselves which effectively relegates Queensbury unless they picky up 9's for the last few games........

tanfield
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Almost got my prediction right but the other way round. Excellent 7-2 win away to West End. Whitehouse's roller coaster season continues:greengrin

Aye cheers for the prediction mate :rolleyes:

We won 7-2 ourselves which effectively relegates Queensbury unless they picky up 9's for the last few games........[/QUOTE]

Aye, sorry about that likes:greengrin

Good win for your lot:thumbsup:

MB62
09-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Another fine 7-2 away win for the Northern at the tricky venue that is Liberton. Needless to say, the 2 home points came against Burnsie07 and I was delighted to get off the green, :wink: I should have stayed at home and watched the 'ashes'.

Any other results from last night lads?

Fat Stu
09-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Another fine 7-2 away win for the Northern at the tricky venue that is Liberton. Needless to say, the 2 home points came against Burnsie07 and I was delighted to get off the green, :wink: I should have stayed at home and watched the 'ashes'.

Any other results from last night lads?

Aye Seafield got beat 6-3 fae brunstane. My rink was up and another peeled. Could of done with a result anaw to pull us out this relegation fight we're in.

MB62
09-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Aye Seafield got beat 6-3 fae brunstane. My rink was up and another peeled. Could of done with a result anaw to pull us out this relegation fight we're in.

I have to say Stu, it's not looking good for guys. A win last night would have gave you a fighting chance but that was a bad one. Still, 4 weeks to go and you never know eh!

Stick in (except when you play us :wink: :greengrin)

Fat Stu
09-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I have to say Stu, it's not looking good for guys. A win last night would have gave you a fighting chance but that was a bad one. Still, 4 weeks to go and you never know eh!

Stick in (except when you play us :wink: :greengrin)

They were lying third bottom, still a couple of 7-2's and a 6-3 could probably do it for us.

MSK
09-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Ive not got much to say about the Jewel at the moment other than we are now struggling in the Esk after a decent start ...

As for my local comps..well ive had a mare of a season...out of the Championship (first round)...out of the 2 bowl single hand....(first round)..out of the handicap ..(3rd round)...out of the Scottish pairs ..(first round)...out of the 2 bowl pairs (second round)...out of the triples (first round) & out of the rink (first round)....:greengrin

Anyway ...its not all bad ....

We :hnet: did **** the Northern hibbies ...:cup: ....:thumbsup:

MB62
10-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Ive not got much to say about the Jewel at the moment other than we are now struggling in the Esk after a decent start ...

As for my local comps..well ive had a mare of a season...out of the Championship (first round)...out of the 2 bowl single hand....(first round)..out of the handicap ..(3rd round)...out of the Scottish pairs ..(first round)...out of the 2 bowl pairs (second round)...out of the triples (first round) & out of the rink (first round)....:greengrin

Having played at Liberton on Wednesday night in the league, I went to play my championship tie last night at the Northern.
The green had been scarified, rolled and double cut and it was flying, it was like playing a totally different game from Wed.
I struggled most of the night to capture it but from being 13-5 down, I managed to scrape through 21-17.
Also in the pairs semi-final and Triples 1/4 final whilst already been beat in the final of the rinks, so season is going not too badly so far.

tanfield
11-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Congratulations to Northern for progressing to the semi's of the Edinburgh cup:thumbsup:

MB62
11-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Congratulations to Northern for progressing to the semi's of the Edinburgh cup:thumbsup:

Thanks Andy. We are all delighted and the lads seem to be playing with a lot of confidence at the moment.
I believe we are playing Pilrig in the semi-final so that will be a tough game for them (wink)

James Connolly
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Dalkeith 2 are still in there fighting for promotion, had a good win away to Musselburgh 2 on Friday.:thumbsup:

As for my club ties, a mixed bag really; Championship - playing in the last 16 on Wednesday; Cross Keys - out 1st round; Handicap - through to the 1/4 final; Sc Pairs - out 1st round; Sc Triples - through to 1/4 final; Sc Rinks - out 1st round.

Quite happy to be still involved in ties after the trades; gives me something to look forward to in the last half of the season.

MB62
13-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Northern beat Maitland 3-2 in the top 5 singles at home (we are at the top of the draw, first out of the hat, so will always be at home provided we keep winning.

I was playing against the Hibs U19's youth coach and he was a nice guy. I was telling him he should get his name down to play for you guys in the Northern Hibees v Hibs.net game next year but after giving him a 21-8 hammering, he might not be too keen :greengrin

Sunny Leith
13-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Goldenacre through in the top 5 after a 3-2 win against Craigentinny, myself and Colin both down but rest of the team done the business. Liberton or Tramways away next round.

MB62
13-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Goldenacre through in the top 5 after a 3-2 win against Craigentinny, myself and Colin both down but rest of the team done the business. Liberton or Tramways away next round.

You better hope it's Tramways, although playing singles on Liberton might be just about acceptable, only MIGHT though.:wink:

MB62
16-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Northern won 7-2 again last night at home against Brunstane.
Burnsie07 was one shot up going into the last end and lost two :grr:

Any other results from last night?

Did anybody else get playing after all the rain yesterday?
I know Liberton v Corstorphine was postponed because of it.

sg7nil
16-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Northern won 7-2 again last night at home against Brunstane.
Burnsie07 was one shot up going into the last end and lost two :grr:

Any other results from last night?

Did anybody else get playing after all the rain yesterday?
I know Liberton v Corstorphine was postponed because of it.

Seafield on the wrong end of a 9 - 0 pasting at Mayfield:boo hoo:. (we were lucky to get 0, and didn't really look like taking anything from the game after about half way through). Maybe we should have prayed for rain and an abandonment..:wink: It was raining quite heavily when we started but went off after a couple of ends.

Was with Bill when the scores came in from Div 1.. a couple of surprises there.... Dudey beat Tanfield (cant remember the other scores)...

Looks like Leith and Wardie will go up from the second this year, both won again last night.

tanfield
16-07-2009, 09:46 PM
6-3 win away at Portobello for Whitehouse & Grange which puts us 1 point clear in second place but West End have a game in hand. Still with an away game at Civil and home to Summerside we have a chance still of promotion.

3 wins on the bounce for me. After a poor start I'm now 5 wins out of eight:thumbsup: Missing the Civil game due to going to Blackburn:boo hoo:

Lmc2105
16-07-2009, 09:52 PM
6-3 win away at Portobello for Whitehouse & Grange which puts us 1 point clear in second place but West End have a game in hand. Still with an away game at Civil and home to Summerside we have a chance still of promotion.

3 wins on the bounce for me. After a poor start I'm now 5 wins out of eight:thumbsup: Missing the Civil game due to going to Blackburn:boo hoo:

yeah was a great win :thumbsup:

my first game for the 1st's :flag::greengrin

Fat Stu
16-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Seafield on the wrong end of a 9 - 0 pasting at Mayfield:boo hoo:. (we were lucky to get 0, and didn't really look like taking anything from the game after about half way through). Maybe we should have prayed for rain and an abandonment..:wink: It was raining quite heavily when we started but went off after a couple of ends.

Was with Bill when the scores came in from Div 1.. a couple of surprises there.... Dudey beat Tanfield (cant remember the other scores)...

Looks like Leith and Wardie will go up from the second this year, both won again last night.

Forgot the positive of our top ten success on tues beating brunstane 6-2.

On a personal note through to the semi of the championship, 20-18 up 3 down with the last bowl, drew within 2 inches:cool2:.

gotmy new bowls today they are effing sweet, white with red rings and tweety pie in the middle:bitchy:.

MB62
17-07-2009, 06:45 AM
Forgot the positive of our top ten success on tues beating brunstane 6-2.

On a personal note through to the semi of the championship, 20-18 up 3 down with the last bowl, drew within 2 inches:cool2:.

got my new bowls today they are effing sweet, white with red rings and tweety pie in the middle:bitchy:.

Well done Stu. Your last bowl sounds like a wee tweety of a bowl.

PLaying my championship 1/4 final on Monday (heavy rain forecast). I believe the winner goes straight through to the final as our semi-final opponent cannot make the PLAYED ON (our semi-finals and Final are always on a Monday and next Friday of the same week every year).
Bit of a bummer for the man concerned but he knew the dates before entering and the rule of NO EXTENSIONS for HOLIDAYS.

MSK
18-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Played in a newly created competition at the Jewel last night (League game at Polton cancelled)..

I had to play a preliminary round first..

This is how it works..

3 bowls each, single hand.

Best of 3 games, first person to 7 (nice number:greengrin)

A coin is tossed at the start of the game & the person who wins the jack keeps the jack throughout that game regardless of winning or losing ends..

In the second game the jack is given to your opponent & like the first game he holds onto the jack ..

If the game goes to a 3rd & deciding match then a coin is tossed & the winner of the toss keeps the jack throughout the final set ..

Different but enjoyable game & regardless of the heavy rain that fell the Jewel green was in superb playing condition..

Score...im through to the first round proper..in a quick 30 minute game i won 2-0 ..7-2 & 7-1....:thumbsup:

MB62
18-07-2009, 12:54 PM
The Northern beat the mighty (?) Pilrig last night in the semi-final of the Edinburgh Cup and now take on Tanfield in the Final at Cortstorphine.

This means half our team will be missing the Hibees opening league game of the season, but if we manage to win, and there's absolutely no reason why we can't win, it will be well worth it all.

GGTTN

GGTTH

Fat Stu
19-07-2009, 08:18 PM
seafield lost 3-2 in the top 5 today against tipperlin, yours truly debuted the new bowls in their first competitive match winning 21-5.

That green is a absolute joke though and the fact they are allowed to play anything other than internal competions on it is a farce, i've played on better public greens.

MB62
20-07-2009, 07:54 AM
seafield lost 3-2 in the top 5 today against tipperlin, yours truly debuted the new bowls in their first competitive match winning 21-5.

That green is a absolute joke though and the fact they are allowed to play anything other than internal competions on it is a farce, i've played on better public greens.

Played there a couple of times Stu and have to agree. I really don't like slagging other clubs green but sometimes it is just so bad, you wonder why anybody would really want to play on such surfaces, it surely can't be enjoyable.

On a happier note, myself and my wife Les, successfully defended our mixed pairs title down at the Northern yesterday, much to Lesley's delight :thumbsup: