PDA

View Full Version : Stanford 20/20 cricket?

Houchy
24-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I feel Cricket is the most boring game in the world (maybe apart from the ashes which is slightly above bearable).

What's this new thing about though? The advert on telly said it was a one off game for x million on November 1st then advertised that Stamford superstars (who?) were playing Trinidad and Tobago AND Engerlund were playing Middlesex (is that no like Scotland playing Celtic?)

Can I therefore also assume that Middlesex don't have any players that represent Engerlund?

Seems like a strange game to me.:agree::confused:

Mikey
24-10-2008, 01:41 PM
It's all about money!

DaveF
24-10-2008, 01:44 PM
This is from the Stanford website -

STANFORD SUPER SERIES

Created by Sir Allen Stanford, the Stanford Super Series is the result of a five year agreement between Stanford 20/20, the England and Wales Cricket Board and the West Indies Cricket Board. The first of the five annual events comprises six 20/20 matches being played at the Stanford Cricket Ground from October 25th, 2008 and culminates with the historic Stanford 20/20 for 20 on November 1, 2008.

Teams participating in the Stanford Super Series are:
1. Stanford Superstars - a team selected from the best of the best of the regional Stanford 20/20 Tournaments
2. England - the ECB selected national team
3. Trinidad and Tobago - the reigning regional Stanford 20/20 Tournament Champions
4. Middlesex - the reigning English County Twenty20 Champions

The series features a fun filled Legends Beach Cricket day, four main warm up matches, the Domestic Champions match with a total purse of US$400,000, and the Stanford 20/20 For 20 match that represents the richest team prize for a single sporting match – US$20,000,000. US$11million goes to the final eleven playing members of the winning team with US$1million to be shared between the $12th man and other non-playing squad members and a further US$1million among the management team. The remaining prize money will be shared between the England and Wales Cricket Board and the West Indies Cricket Board.

Basically, there is a mini tournament before the BIG game on Nov1 between the Stanford SuperStars (IE, a West Indies select) and England. Whoever wins, takes $20,000,000 home with them.

Houchy
24-10-2008, 01:44 PM
It's all about money!

:agree:This was another of my assumptions Mikey:agree:

Hank Schrader
24-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I feel Cricket is the most boring game in the world (maybe apart from the ashes which is slightly above bearable).

What's this new thing about though? The advert on telly said it was a one off game for x million on November 1st then advertised that Stamford superstars (who?) were playing Trinidad and Tobago AND Engerlund were playing Middlesex (is that no like Scotland playing Celtic?)

Can I therefore also assume that Middlesex don't have any players that represent Engerlund?
Seems like a strange game to me.:agree::confused:

Owais Shah plays for Middlesex and England, so does Andrew Strauss.

No idea who is playing for who though, I fancy Strauss, who isn't a renowned ODI player will play for Middlesex. I fancy Shah may line up for England.

Hibbie_Cameron
24-10-2008, 02:01 PM
The stamford superstars are basically most of the West Indies team with a few other players from the region

DaveF
24-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Shah is with England and Strauss, Middlesex. They (Middlesex) even drafted in a short term loanee (Neil Carter) just for this series.

England -

Kevin Pietersen capt, James Anderson, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Andrew Flintoff, Stephen Harmison, Samit Patel, Matt Prior, Owais Shah, Graeme Swann, Ryan Sidebottom, Luke Wright

Middlesex -

Shaun Udal (c), Neil Carter, Neil Dexter, Steven Finn, Billy Godleman, Tyron Henderson, Ed Joyce, Murali Kartik, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan, Tim Murtagh, David Nash, Alan Richardson, Ben Scott, Andrew Strauss.

Mibbes Aye
25-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Very good explanation (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/oct/25/stanford-super-series-twenty20) in the form of twenty questions in today's Guardian.

I'm watching the opening match just now - the black bats take a bit getting used to :greengrin

Cracking ground though, almost too good in how 'new' it looks.

Houchy
31-10-2008, 09:10 AM
So who's going to win. Engerlund are the slight favourites but I always thought England were a bit inconsistent:dunno:

Hank Schrader
31-10-2008, 10:20 AM
So who's going to win. Engerlund are the slight favourites but I always thought England were a bit inconsistent:dunno:

I'd go for the Stanford Superstars to win. I fancy England might crumble under the weight of expectation and all that potential cash.:wink:

LiverpoolHibs
31-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Great article from the Guardian on it, if anyone's interested...

http://http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/oct/29/stanford-super-series-cricket

The Stanford match marks another grisly stage in cricket's loss of innocence - or at least relative innocence, compared with the ugly, ill-tempered, money-obsessed, corporatist world of football. Perhaps Engel is right and the soul of the game has already been lost. After more than 40 years of loving the game, and always finding in its verities and absurdities solace in dismal times, it may be time for me to give up too. Certainly on November 1, I will be averting my eyes. But I hope something of its character and variety can be saved. The winners in Saturday's edition of Strictly Come Cricketing may make a cool million, but they could lose everything, including the essence of this odd and wonderful game. A game that used to be rich in the true sense.

It is an absolute ****ing monstrosity.

LiverpoolHibs
02-11-2008, 12:21 AM
A suitably embarrassing ending to a thoroughly embarrassing episode, well done to all concerned. ********s.

Hank Schrader
02-11-2008, 08:25 AM
A suitably embarrassing ending to a thoroughly embarrassing episode, well done to all concerned. ********s.

Spot on LH. A hideous week for the sport.