PDA

View Full Version : Kingsbarns Golf Club

Sylar
22-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Played Kingsbarns today with my father, grandfather and uncle - first time i'd played it and I was WELL impressed - what an absolutely stunning golf course it is!

Testing, scenic and in beautiful condition, it's probably THE nicest course i've played, which is a pretty good accolade for it, seeing as i've played some of the most prestigous courses on Earth (Loch Lomond, The Old Course, Carnoustie, Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, Firestone to name a few).

It helped that the sun was splitting the trees all day right enough - it would an absolute bugger of a course if the wind was blowing!

I'd recommend it to ANYONE who plays golf and hasn't tried it yet - although the season closes on November 16th until March, so move quick!

H18sry
22-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Did you get a four ball offer to play or what was the cost:wink:

Sylar
22-10-2008, 03:54 PM
My dad and I were given our rounds as gifts last Christmas, and my grandfather and uncle were given their rounds as presents for their birthdays (both 2 weeks ago).

I'm sure it works out at something like £60 for a Scottish Resident - there were a group of Americans out in front of us and they were apparantly paying £160 EACH for their rounds, which is crazy!

£60 and worth it's money though IMO today!

Golden Bear
22-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Played Kingsbarns today with my father, grandfather and uncle - first time i'd played it and I was WELL impressed - what an absolutely stunning golf course it is!

Testing, scenic and in beautiful condition, it's probably THE nicest course i've played, which is a pretty good accolade for it, seeing as i've played some of the most prestigous courses on Earth (Loch Lomond, The Old Course, Carnoustie, Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, Firestone to name a few).

It helped that the sun was splitting the trees all day right enough - it would an absolute bugger of a course if the wind was blowing!

I'd recommend it to ANYONE who plays golf and hasn't tried it yet - although the season closes on November 16th until March, so move quick!

:agree:

I was fortunate enough to play Kingsbarns two years ago and I agree with everything you say.

Wish i could say the same about another St Andrews Course I recently played courtesy of an SGU offer - the Castle course. I'd say that this particular course is bordering on being unplayable. The greens have the most ridiculous swales on them which makes even two putting an almighty achievement. On top of that, its difficult to pick a line from the tees and many of the fairways are "decorated" with grass bankings and there is no way the ball will run off them.

This is not a course I'd recommend to anybody and it will be interesting to see what the pros and golf critics think of it in years to come.

PS Best course I've played is a toss up between Muirfield and Royal Birkdale.

H18sry
22-10-2008, 05:59 PM
My dad and I were given our rounds as gifts last Christmas, and my grandfather and uncle were given their rounds as presents for their birthdays (both 2 weeks ago).

I'm sure it works out at something like £60 for a Scottish Resident - there were a group of Americans out in front of us and they were apparantly paying £160 EACH for their rounds, which is crazy!

£60 and worth it's money though IMO today!

:thumbsup: Thanks m8

I was fortunate enough to play Kingsbarns two years ago and I agree with everything you say.

Wish i could say the same about another St Andrews Course I recently played courtesy of an SGU offer - the Castle course. I'd say that this particular course is bordering on being unplayable. The greens have the most ridiculous swales on them which makes even two putting an almighty achievement. On top of that, its difficult to pick a line from the tees and many of the fairways are "decorated" with grass bankings and there is no way the ball will run off them.

This is not a course I'd recommend to anybody and it will be interesting to see what the pros and golf critics think of it in years to come.

Mine is Valderrama :thumbsup:
The day after the Volvo masters in both 92 and 93 with the pins in there last day positions.

Sylar
22-10-2008, 10:28 PM

Funny you should mention the Castle, as driving by it today, I thought "wow" as it looked awesome from the roadside holes. I did think it looked hard right enough, and the starter at Kingsbarns said the same as you - it's near impossible.

The condition of the course at Kingsbarns today was absolutely flawless. The swales on the greens were tricky there, but the greens ran really true to their lines.

Apparantly, in the off season, £30 allows you to play unlimited golf at any of St Andrew's courses (minus the Old and the Castle, which is closed at this time) for 7 consecutive days! Granted, you're relying on the weather a wee bit, but that's a pretty good deal as far as I can see!

And as a wee aside, Kingsbarns isn't part of St Andrews - it's owned by the trust, but runs as a seperate entity from the courses at the R&A.

DJ HIBBY
23-10-2008, 03:48 PM
played Kingsbarns in August and for me the best links layout i have ever played. only disappointment was the greens, really bumpy and scabby looking

would defo play it again though :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
01-11-2008, 10:07 PM

It is a SENSATIONAL golf course .. DEFO my favourite

BroxburnHibee
02-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Played Muirfield in June with the wind blowing a gale and loved every second :thumbsup:

Plus I birdied the 17th after just missing the massive fairway bunker.

It was a day to remember.

Will hopefully play Kingsbarns next year.