PDA

View Full Version : Seve Ballesteros

Hank Schrader
12-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Diagnosed with a brain tumour (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7655919.stm)

Get well soon Seve.

PC Stamp
12-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Diagnosed with a brain tumour (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/7655919.stm)

Get well soon Seve.

Hear hear. Sevvy is IMHO one of the finest players ever to grace the game. Always willing to take risks when it mattered which usually paid off!

Hopefully he'll make a speedy recovery. :agree:

MSK
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Hope he makes a full recovery ..:agree:

Danderhall Hibs
12-10-2008, 09:54 PM
The way SSN were going on about him earlier (talking about him in the past tense etc) I assumed they had been tipped off that he was a goner.

Houchy
13-10-2008, 12:10 AM
The way SSN were going on about him earlier (talking about him in the past tense etc) I assumed they had been tipped off that he was a goner.

To be honest, and speaking from personal experience, the prognosis for people with brain tumours really aint that good. It really depends on where it's located in the brain. I was fairly 'fortunate' (yeah, ok doc:wink:) in that it was in the right frontal lobe which if there were any complications, I would have weakness/paralysis in my left side. If it's on the left, it can affect your speech and memory etc and they generally won't risk surgery due to quality of life if there are any mistakes ie too much taken away. When I had my first opp I was completely paralised down my. left side for 2 weeks, which was pretty scary, but the strength and movenent came back eventually.

The thing with brain surgery is that you can't remove any 'margins'. Again speaking from experience, if you have an opp on your lungs for example, they will take away the spot plus a 1-2cm margin around the spot to make sure they remove any possible spread but that isn't possible with the brain so there will always be cells left that will continue growing without further treatment no matter how skilled the surgeon.

As I say, it will very much depend on the type and location.

Radiotherapy took care of it for 2.5 years for me but I had to have 2 opps in june and august, this year, to remove active cancer cells but the Surgeon wasn't convinced about doing the surgery due to the high risks.

I'm now undergoing chemotherapy to try and get rid of it once and for all but it's not guaranteed as the brain has a natural barrier called the blood brain barrier to stop infections.

Anyway this is my 7th time since it started when I was 14 and i'm still here so there's always hope.

Sorry for the long post but you are all now qualified neurosurgeons.:greengrin

Good luck on the journey Seve:agree:. I can recommend a few good surgeons:greengrin.

Danderhall Hibs
13-10-2008, 07:24 AM
To be honest, and speaking from personal experience, the prognosis for people with brain tumours really aint that good. It really depends on where it's located in the brain. I was fairly 'fortunate' (yeah, ok doc:wink:) in that it was in the right frontal lobe which if there were any complications, I would have weakness/paralysis in my left side. If it's on the left, it can affect your speech and memory etc and they generally won't risk surgery due to quality of life if there are any mistakes ie too much taken away. When I had my first opp I was completely paralised down my. left side for 2 weeks, which was pretty scary. But it came back eventually.

The thing with brain surgery is that you can't remove any 'margins'. Again speaking from experience, if you have an opp on your lungs for example, they will take away the spot plus a 1-2cm margin around the spot to make sure the remove any possible spread but that isn't possible with the brain so there will always be cells left that will continue growing without further treatment no matter how skilled the surgeon.

Radiotherapy took care of it for 2.5 years for me but I had to have 2 opps in june and august, this year, to remove active cancer cells but the Surgeon wasn't convinced about doing the surgery due to the high risks.

I'm now undergoing chemotherapy to try and get rid of it once and for all but it's not guaranteed as the brain has a natural barrier called the blood brain barrier to stop infections.

Anyway this is my 7th time since it started when I was 14 and i'm still here so there's always hope.

Good luck on the journey Seve:agree:. I can recommend a few good surgeons:greengrin.

Good luck to you mate.

Golden Bear
13-10-2008, 07:41 AM
To be honest, and speaking from personal experience, the prognosis for people with brain tumours really aint that good. It really depends on where it's located in the brain. I was fairly 'fortunate' (yeah, ok doc:wink:) in that it was in the right frontal lobe which if there were any complications, I would have weakness/paralysis in my left side. If it's on the left, it can affect your speech and memory etc and they generally won't risk surgery due to quality of life if there are any mistakes ie too much taken away. When I had my first opp I was completely paralised down my. left side for 2 weeks, which was pretty scary. But it came back eventually.

The thing with brain surgery is that you can't remove any 'margins'. Again speaking from experience, if you have an opp on your lungs for example, they will take away the spot plus a 1-2cm margin around the spot to make sure the remove any possible spread but that isn't possible with the brain so there will always be cells left that will continue growing without further treatment no matter how skilled the surgeon.

Best wishes and good health for the future Houchy. It puts all these "three putts" into persepective, when you read something like that.

Houchy
13-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your regards.:agree:

Hank Schrader
13-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your regards.:agree:

My regards to you as well Houchy. Here's me moaning about a sniffle as well :rolleyes:

All the best mate.

Houchy
13-10-2008, 01:20 PM
My regards to you as well Houchy. Here's me moaning about a sniffle as well :rolleyes:

All the best mate.

Thanks mate. Again I appreciate it, but I don't want to start taking away from the original post about Seve.:agree:

I've been along the path that Seve will soon be travelling so I think it's Seve that needs the best wishes right now.

As I say, I really appreciate all the comments and regards from everyone (so don't mean to sound ungratefull), but I don't want all the focus taken away from the OP (which I realise you started).

Thanks again everyone.

lyonhibs
14-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Don't want to put a downer on what is already a gloomy enough topic, but thus far, right down to the age (Seve is even younger god forbid) at which this happened, Seve's case is presenting a mirror image of that of my dad, and he was dead within 10 weeks of the initial diagnosis.

We can only hope to God that this isn't the case in Seve's case, and that the media respects his wishes for privacy.

GGTTH

Hank Schrader
14-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Don't want to put a downer on what is already a gloomy enough topic, but thus far, right down to the age (Seve is even younger god forbid) at which this happened, Seve's case is presenting a mirror image of that of my dad, and he was dead within 10 weeks of the initial diagnosis.

We can only hope to God that this isn't the case in Seve's case, and that the media respects his wishes for privacy.

GGTTH

Sorry to hear about that LH.

When I think back to when rally driver Richard Burns was struck down with a brain tumour, I always thought with him being a young man in his prime he would pull through. It was naive of me to think so as the poor guy eventually succumbed to the illness.

I hope Seves prognosis is more positive.

Eurohibees
14-10-2008, 04:12 PM
The mans a Legend get well soon!

Houchy
15-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I see that he had his surgery yesterday and is intensive care (which is standard practice after a craniotomy).

Reports are that it went without complications.

Houchy
15-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear about that LH.

When I think back to when rally driver Richard Burns was struck down with a brain tumour, I always thought with him being a young man in his prime he would pull through. It was naive of me to think so as the poor guy eventually succumbed to the illness.

I hope Seves prognosis is more positive.

You can also look to Lance Armstrong for inspiration who, at one point, was completely (A word I hate) riddled with it (started in his testicles obviously before spreading to his lungs and Brain).

He said himself that when the radiographers showed him his x-ray, his lungs had so many white (cancer) spots, "they were like snowglobes"

Chemotherapy did work in his case and is currently doing extremely well.

Hibbie_Cameron
16-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Just reported that the great man has had a further operation to remove pressure from the brain/head, after his health took a turn for the worse.

Golden Bear
16-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Just reported that the great man has had a further operation to remove pressure from the brain/head, after his health took a turn for the worse.

Fingers crossed Seve can pull through from this latest setback.