PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever stopped supporting Hibs?

Alicky Ranks
01-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Having lived and worked abroad for a number of years now I have stopped going to see Hibs but have never stopped following them. There are times, after a particularly dismal result, that I think I could do without the hassle, but is it possible to just walk away? Has anyone on here done that and then found they couldn't shake Hibs off? And does anyone know fans who have walked away and NEVER come back to the club?

Hibercelona
01-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes....

..... I always manage to walk away for a whole 7 days. :greengrin

Hibs Spain
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Having lived and worked abroad for a number of years now I have stopped going to see Hibs but have never stopped following them. There are times, after a particularly dismal result, that I think I could do without the hassle, but is it possible to just walk away? Has anyone on here done that and then found they couldn't shake Hibs off? And does anyone know fans who have walked away and NEVER come back to the club?I've felt like jacking it in a few times to be honest.Not that I would support anyone else ever ..More the thought of trying to distance myself from the whole football scene and to try and achieve a scenario where when the results come through and Hibs haven't won,I can think " Oh well,never mind" But as of now I haven't been able to pull it off. I know dozens of guys that have though.I know loads of people my age or thereabouts that haven't been for years that used to be there every week that retain a love of the club but are divorced from the pain and frustrations and sufferings that I go through and sometimes I do envy them :dunno: Anyway...This time next year Rodney..:thumbsup:The Treble :thumbsup:

Riordans Boots
01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Eh ... that's a NO from me .....

Just like WH, but I would say :hnet: keeps me updated and informed through my frustrations and posting my opinions, keeps me sane :thumbsup:

Never turn yer back on yer team - wherever you may be in this world :no way:

GGTTH :flag::flag: NEVER forget that :cool2:

P.s Kiss the BADGE :wink:

Horse
01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Never! Once a Hibby always a Hibby. Even if I wanted to I couldn't stop supporting Hibs!

Gareth Evans
01-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I've mentioned this guy before, went to school with him he was a Hibs season ticket holder up until he was 19 then just gave it up, your maybe thinking that's fair enough but he gave it up to become a season ticket holder at Tynecastle!!! was unreal, I dont have much to do with him anymore. . . . . .

cheltenhamhibee
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I've mentioned this guy before, went to school with him he was a Hibs season ticket holder up until he was 19 then just gave it up, your maybe thinking that's fair enough but he gave it up to become a season ticket holder at Tynecastle!!! was unreal, I dont have much to do with him anymore. . . . . .
get them gallows built !!! lol

(((Fergus)))
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I've felt like jacking it in a few times to be honest.Not that I would support anyone else ever ..More the thought of trying to distance myself from the whole football scene and to try and achieve a scenario where when the results come through and Hibs haven't won,I can think " Oh well,never mind" But as of now I haven't been able to pull it off. I know dozens of guys that have though.I know loads of people my age or thereabouts that haven't been for years that used to be there every week that retain a love of the club but are divorced from the pain and frustrations and sufferings that I go through and sometimes I do envy them :dunno: Anyway...This time next year Rodney..:thumbsup:The Treble :thumbsup:

I can relate to that. It does seem extremely silly to get so emotionally distraught by anything in life let alone something so trivial as football. People are often lauded for being 'passionate supporters' when in fact there may be something wrong with them.

Riordans Boots
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I can relate to that. It does seem extremely silly to get so emotionally distraught by anything in life let alone something so trivial as football. People are often lauded for being 'passionate supporters' when in fact there may be something wrong with them.

Then when some of us have had that emotional stress that seems "Extremely silly" Fergus :wink: some of us channel our energy into other things - football :greengrin

End of the day ... nowt silly about football and loving the beautiful game mate :thumbsup:

Hibs Spain
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
I can relate to that. It does seem extremely silly to get so emotionally distraught by anything in life let alone something so trivial as football. People are often lauded for being 'passionate supporters' when in fact there may be something wrong with them.This is what concerns me sometimes.I'm generally considered as being quite sharp,yet I have this irrational belief that one day ...... And the worst of it is that I know all the facts,the same as the next guy who's NOT renewing his ticket. I'm about a hundred and twenty two and a half and the second I walk through the door after a game my wife knows if we have won,drawn or lost before I've opened my mouth.It's Wednesday before I can think straight after a loss on a Saturday ..Sad but true :confused:

Jones28
01-10-2008, 11:22 PM
My dad went in the cream puff when we were relegated in the 90's. He gave up his season ticket but took me to a couple games during that season. Then we moved abroad and now me, my brother and my dad are all season ticket holders at ER.

Like my dad says, hibs are his first love and, even through the bad times, that love has never died. :agree:

regent terrance
02-10-2008, 01:03 AM
My first game was a crap 0-0 midweek draw with fc brugges ( i hope I've my facts right here).. down easter road with the old man, special access rights, over the turnstile n all that. Didnae get it (fitba) at all, except my Ma had told me that the goalie might score, so that kept me excited about goal kicks, cos it was fairly windy. Highlight of the entire evening was a wit in the shed screaming "come on hibs you're playing like ****ing hearts here!". much to the amusement of all but a small band of jambos opposite us..never did figure out what they were doing there! Dire wasn't the word for that game. We all got soaked, worse even than on uncle phil the jambos ill conceived all night poaching escapade ( which put me off angling for 20 years). If I'd had an inch of sense in me sense I'd have turned my back on Hibernian Football Club there and then. but on the positive side we've had our mitts on two Skol cups since then and the first division title, and the honor to watch two all time greats,two true masters ply their trade. Big Frank and wee Russell. 'member when we beat Motherwell 3-1 - that goal when he ran backwards half the length of the pitch, all the defenders just standing gawping trying to figure out what was going on. Then the "golden generation" and Ivan's Ibrox escapades, no to mention Deano taking out Craig Gordon. And I just cannot , cannot wait to see what Derek does in the forthcoming Celtic match. Naw mate, for all the mediocre performances and embarrassing skelpings we have to endure I wouldnae change that hibs magic for anything!

stu in nottingham
02-10-2008, 04:30 AM
I 'postponed' my support temporarily in the latter days of Bobby Williamson's reign,

Big90inOz
02-10-2008, 05:08 AM
You would think moving to the other side of the world would distance you from the club,...... nae chance !! I still get up at 2,3,4 in the morning or head off at 9,10,11 at night to watch the games, sometimes driving to a pub or club to meet up with some fellow Hibees more often than not sitting glued to the PC watching HI. You just need to watch the guys sitting in a club at 3.00am to see the passion stays with you regardless of where you are in the world :thumbsup:
I even have to drive around in http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t325/Big90inOz/P8170058.jpg with this on the backhttp://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t325/Big90inOz/P8170056.jpg :greengrin

PeeJay
02-10-2008, 06:56 AM
I followed Hibs attending ER for every game (almost!) from 1965/66 until the late seventies when I went to London and then a year later onto Germany. I lost touch completely with Hibs and I guess you could indeed say I stopped supporting them :hide:.

I went back to ER once with my wife to see us beat Celtic on an opening day game, whereupon we got relegated at the end of the season apparently - although at the time I didn’t realise it as I completely lost touch again –needless to say, wife’s never been back! :bitchy:

When I used to watch Hibs all those years ago we always had the better of Hearts, so I was astonished to read that we had gone – was it really - “22” games without beating them! As mentioned I hadn’t been aware that we got relegated and I knew nothing about Hibs almost folding completely or the tremendous response from Hibs fans (around the world, too I guess) to thwart Mercer and his plans!

With the advent of the Internet a few years back I found my way back to my team, to belatedly discover what had happened during the 80s/90s – and now although I still live abroad I can watch all the home games and some of the away ones thanks to Hibs Interactive, even when I’m off on holiday. The forums, like this one, or the Bounce, are also a great way of checking what Hibs fans are thinking!

As frustrating as it is to be a Hibs fan, and I’ve seen lots of games like the rubbish we played on Saturday against Rangers – even with the mighty TTs I might add – it’s great to be back on board! :partyhibb - GGTTH!!

Keith_M
02-10-2008, 06:58 AM
I'm ashamed to admit that in August 1982, I decided to never go back (you just HAD to be there).

I got REALLY bored so attended a few Celtc games with a Celtc supporting mate; I stress to relieve the boredom only, I was NEVER a Celtc fan! Anyway, my vow of abstinence lasted two months.

Funnily enough, the mate I mentioned above was originally a Hibby, before I met him. He turned to the dark side because of peer pressure, so I suppose I had a lucky(?) escape. :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Last time we went down, I said that was it for me. On the opening day, I turned up against Stranraer, just to give them one last chance then walked away truly fed up. After that though, I only missed Clydebank away [ was that two defeats?] and the game that we clinched it at Firhill was superb. I think that there is a level of addiction with Hibs. If you can't get to the game, you get quite desperate for updates.

heretoday
02-10-2008, 07:54 AM
You can't stop supporting your childhood team. It is not in human nature. It's like a stain you can't remove. I always take with a large pinch of salt anyone who says they've switched support, or "now that I live in London I love Arsenal" or whatever. Sorry but it's on you like a tattoo, however horrible it is!

Wembley67
02-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I 'postponed' my support temporarily in the latter days of Bobby Williamson's reign,

Likewise...but for some reason for me that continued on into the Mogga era....and come to think of it I thikn I have been to about 6 games since then :confused: :dunno:

Sudds_1
02-10-2008, 08:04 AM
You would think moving to the other side of the world would distance you from the club,...... nae chance !! I still get up at 2,3,4 in the morning or head off at 9,10,11 at night to watch the games, sometimes driving to a pub or club to meet up with some fellow Hibees more often than not sitting glued to the PC watching HI. You just need to watch the guys sitting in a club at 3.00am to see the passion stays with you regardless of where you are in the world :thumbsup:
I even have to drive around in http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t325/Big90inOz/P8170058.jpg with this on the backhttp://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t325/Big90inOz/P8170056.jpg :greengrin

now that my friend, is a touch of class...............:thumbsup:

H18sry
02-10-2008, 08:04 AM

Quality m8 :thumbsup:

Mister P
02-10-2008, 08:10 AM
when i left school and started working in 1992, i worked saturdays (still do)

my enthusiasm (not interest) in Hibs diminished over the following 5/6 years untill i would only peek at the paper occasionaly to see what the weekend scores were. over that same period i also got out of playing football at the weekends as well. insted i was going out at weekends up town clubbing and getting up to no good....Im sure you get the jist.

then one day I aquired this fabby new modern contraption called a PC which meant I could get on the tinter-web. within about a week I had discovered a site called Hibernian mad, then the bounce, then hibs.net and my passion was renewed.

the following year I wrangled getting every 3rd saturday off from work (unheard of im my profession) and started going back to the games when I could.
my Love for the Hibees was renewed and is now stronger than ever:agree:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:IM back for good!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

needless to say my hunger to play football again also came back (ssml.co.uk/teamindex.htm), albeit with a 15 year pause on my development:brickwall but I do ok.

:singing:I will always love you:singing:

Kaiser_Sauzee
02-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Very smart mate. :agree:

Big90inOz
02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
now that my friend, is a touch of class...............:thumbsup:

H18sry Quote:

"Quality m8"

Kaiser_Sauzee Quote:

"Very smart mate. "

Thanks guys...... get's me a few thumbs ups on my travels :thumbsup::thumbsup:

fergal7
02-10-2008, 12:28 PM

Your lucky mate.

When I lived in Perth there was no such thing as satellite tv or internet.

You had to phone up on a sunday just to hear the results at $1 a minute.

Bloody scottish results were always last!

Cool motor.

Ah.......... I remember that sand for a garden. :greengrin

Edinburgh Green
02-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Love the motor mate :thumbsup:

Riordans Boots
02-10-2008, 12:40 PM
H18sry Quote:

"Quality m8"

Kaiser_Sauzee Quote:

"Very smart mate. "

Thanks guys...... get's me a few thumbs ups on my travels :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Business mate. Love it :thumbsup:

The_Todd
02-10-2008, 12:50 PM

Quality - maybe I should attach something like that to my wee Punto!

Maybe not, probably get my tyres slashed by a bitter Jumbo!

7Hero
02-10-2008, 01:09 PM
There are a few things id like to say.

First of all i think i have practically jacked it in the past few years since the cup final win. Never in my time as a hibs fan did i feel like doing that, the petrie era as much as its briliant for most of the folk on here, im not a big fan..

Combine this with the ever increasing role of finance in the game (the people's game my arse) and the over the top manipulation of the media by the weegie **** really make me detest our national league.

In this time i have come more to love scotland games and have made much more of an effort to go to them home and away, they are for me far more enjoyable now (hurts me to say it and anybody who knows me knows how much i care for hibs)

I still class myself as a hibs fan and i still under no circumstance whatsoever can watch highlights of games where we have lost (i have never seen those goals hearts scored at hampden on the telly) and i really can't stand watchin old firm games or any other scottish football, i dont read the papers as its a lot of sheeeite.. I dont even come on here very often anymore as i dont agree with the kneejerk views of a lot of posters and i get frustrated with a lot of the posts and opinions.

I have went to the games since is was 6yrs old with my dad and had a season ticket for over 20yrs, i have not been to a game this season yet.
I missed the rangers game as i chose to go out for a meal with my wife as i just could not be bothered with the inevitable crap i would have had to watch. The meal was excellent by the way..

You can call me whatever you want but i have been to near enough 800 games in my life, im a hibs fan through and through, i could not support anyone else. But yes, im in the process of jacking it in im afraid, ill keep my seasonticket because as long as i can afford to i will support the club and it gets me tickets for the derbies which are the only games worth wachin' anyway, (cue folk having a go at me for not going to every game, bring it on i say)

but until my son / s are wanting to go to the games ill be doing something else on a saturday / sunday from now on, try and enjoy the peace before i have to return on a regular basis..

MB62
02-10-2008, 02:00 PM

First of all i think i have practically jacked it in the past few years since the cup final win. Never in my time as a hibs fan did i feel like doing that, the petrie era as much as its briliant for most of the folk on here, im not a big fan..

Combine this with the ever increasing role of finance in the game (the people's game my arse) and the over the top manipulation of the media by the weegie **** really make me detest our national league.

In this time i have come more to love scotland games and have made much more of an effort to go to them home and away, they are for me far more enjoyable now (hurts me to say it and anybody who knows me knows how much i care for hibs)

I still class myself as a hibs fan and i still under no circumstance whatsoever can watch highlights of games where we have lost (i have never seen those goals hearts scored at hampden on the telly) and i really can't stand watchin old firm games or any other scottish football, i dont read the papers as its a lot of sheeeite.. I dont even come on here very often anymore as i dont agree with the kneejerk views of a lot of posters and i get frustrated with a lot of the posts and opinions.

I have went to the games since is was 6yrs old with my dad and had a season ticket for over 20yrs, i have not been to a game this season yet.
I missed the rangers game as i chose to go out for a meal with my wife as i just could not be bothered with the inevitable crap i would have had to watch. The meal was excellent by the way..

You can call me whatever you want but i have been to near enough 800 games in my life, im a hibs fan through and through, i could not support anyone else. But yes, im in the process of jacking it in im afraid, ill keep my seasonticket because as long as i can afford to i will support the club and it gets me tickets for the derbies which are the only games worth wachin' anyway, (cue folk having a go at me for not going to every game, bring it on i say)

but until my son / s are wanting to go to the games ill be doing something else on a saturday / sunday from now on, try and enjoy the peace before i have to return on a regular basis..

Whilst I am not quite at your stage yet, I can well understand where you are coming from. Maybe I am looking for more than what is presently on offer on the pitch in relation to the price I am asked to pay to watch it, and by that I don't mean signing players worth £10,000 a week but the style of play that is on show, but whatever, I am disallussioned with the team at the moment.

I was listening to Mark McGee on T.V. last night talking about the way he might set up his team for tonight's European game. He says he might have to abandon his 3 strikers set up, not because he doesn't believe in it or that it is not right for tonight's game in particular, but because so far this season it has not worked and there is no point in presevering with something that is not working.

I can only hope that Mixu was watching the same interview and I can get back to watching the mighty Edinburgh Hibernian because our own tactics are hopeless and have driven me away.

ahibby
02-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I travelled abroad a lot in the seventies and the eighties and for twelve years I didn't spend a great deal of time in Scotland but when I was here I went. When I was abroad I usually managed to get Sunday papers for results and when we lost I was just as down as ever, even though I was thousands of miles away.

I became a regular attendee again around the time of Jim Duffy and Jacie Mac and continued as a season ticket holder in the first division and ever since really. In recent years I have given serious consideration to renewing my season ticket because of the clubs ability to shoot itself in the foot with regards to consistency (there is none) and failing to get any sort of foot hold in say the UEFA. When you see Aberdeen, Hearts and perhaps even Motherwell doing better than us in the UEFA you wonder what we are about. I still think the board rely to heavily on the supporters loyalty to the badge because they don't seem to be able to appoint a manager with experience and ability which in my view is the key to consistency. Until they do then I fear that fans will come and go but hopefully if they go they will always be looking for the results so when the good times come again they'll come back. I don't think there is any point in slagging such fans off as glory hunters as we all have different pain thresholds. I don't generally leave games early but if and when I feel the team are shirking then I don't feel guilty about walking out.

down the slope
02-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I kinda gave up a bit in the Mogadon era , my brother and i had been to Dens park for a Hibs game-Mark Caughy was playing...say no more. After that i refused to look at the sports pages for nearly a year as my take on it was if the club could not be bothered about me then i would not bother about them.
But...you know what happens, one good string of results and friends and relations talk you round to going back and you are hooked again.

Fish
02-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Have never stopped supporting, did stop going to matches during Alex miller and the Duff years.

If I stopped supportting hibs, it would be because I could no longer watch football of any sorts or hibs disappeared. Born Green (not that manky glasgow green but a true vibrant Edinburgh/Leith Green), well actually born into maroon settings but got a colour transplant when I first saw hibs play and will die green

Can't understand someone changing there football allegiance. Have been a hibee since I was 8 years old and have a soft spot for ICT. down south it is Wednesday, now thats what you call suffering.

Sir David Gray
02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Funnily enough, I actually contemplated ending my support in the mid-90's when I was about 6 or 7 years old.

As I am from Falkirk, there are a lot of Rangers fans going about. I had tons of them at my Primary School who used to torment me about being a Hibs fan, I even used to get ribbed by the odd Falkirk fan. I couldn't take it. I told my mum (who was the person that got me into Hibs) that I was getting hassle for supporting Hibs and I wanted it to stop.

I said to her that if I supported Falkirk, everything would stop and she told me that if that was what I wanted to do then she couldn't stop me. She told me that I could support Falkirk if I wanted but that I wouldn't be taken to watch any of their games.

But for some reason (and I still can't remember what made me do it) I woke up one day and told my mum that I didn't want to support Falkirk, I wanted to support Hibs.

From that day on, I have never questioned my support and I never will in the future either. I have taken the jibes on the chin ever since.

Even at 6 years of age, although I was seemingly doubtful about my allegiances, deep down I always was and always will be a Hibee 'til I die. :thumbsup:

Even if it does cause me pain and anguish on a regular occurrence. :boo hoo:

Speedway
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
For me, the end very nearly came during the latter end of the Miller years.

When it had gotten to the stage where the team, performance AND result could be predicted every week, I assumed we were never going to sack him, he was never going to resign and therefore what was the point.

Not long after that I moved outside the UK before the days of widespread internet access and sports coverage so I lost touch, during the latter Duffy period in particular.

I was back for the start of the McLeish reign though, writing a letter of complaint to the club that Tommy Burns was the far superior candidate for the job.

See, knew hee-haw then, know hee-haw now.

PiemanP
02-10-2008, 03:16 PM
there have been many a game where i have said the famous "im no goin back"....but i always do :greengrin

supporting a football team is like legal heroin :wink:

i think the only thing that will probably stop me supporting hibs (and im sure this will probably apply to a lot of fans) is being priced out the game......and the way things are goin, thats probably not too far in the distant future! atm £27 for a ticket for an adult is quite ridiculous, and im sure for a lot of people £30 is the limit, it will be for me :agree:

hibbytam
02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Went a couple seasons without a season ticket in the blobby years. And now living in Aberdeen, its a bit of a hassle going to most games, that I can't really afford, and i'm normally working weekends too. Still feels weird not going to games though. Actually haven't been to Easter Road since season before last, when we beat celtc, Sproule and Brown scoring. Only managed a handful of away games last season.

A 'home' game saturday though :thumbsup: Hopefully better than the last one, when i'm sure I vowed never to go back....
No chance.

Tomsk
02-10-2008, 03:25 PM

A lot of this I can empathise with.

When I first supported Hibs I genuinely believed, and with good reason, that we could win the league. But any thoughts of that disappeared a long time ago. We'll never win the league, nor ever be anything but whipping boys in Europe on those rare occasions when we qualify for the Yoofa Cup. Any decent player we uncover is almost immediately snapped up, usually by the Old Filth. The game has changed so much since I was a laddie. Celtic and Rangers are completely out of sight in Scotland now. But they are nothing no-marks despite their pretensions and posturing to the Premiership top dogs. And Hibs have no hope whatsoever of being anything but also rans in a crappy Old Firm obsessed league. The gulfs will only get bigger and bigger. Sometimes you have to ask what is the point?

I think I'm suffering from post-Mowbray syndrome. I too am pretty disillusioned by Hibs under Petrie. He just doesn't have the football nous in my view. Mowbray was a big opportunity to burst out of the cycle of mediocrity but either Petrie didn't see it or he got cold feet. I can't see us getting that chance again.

I've only been to one game this season. My Saturdays are tied up. But now that I've drifted away I can see me just dropping Hibs altogether. I think it could be very easy.

Bayern Bru
02-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Having lived and worked abroad for a number of years now I have stopped going to see Hibs but have never stopped following them. There are times, after a particularly dismal result, that I think I could do without the hassle, but is it possible to just walk away? Has anyone on here done that and then found they couldn't shake Hibs off? And does anyone know fans who have walked away and NEVER come back to the club?

Not for me.
Hibs isn't just a hobby, it's part of my life.
You can't just duck in and out of supporting Hibs when you feel like it, IMO.

Hibernian 'til I die, etc.

Speedway
02-10-2008, 03:38 PM

When I first supported Hibs I genuinely believed, and with good reason, that we could win the league. But any thoughts of that disappeared a long time ago. We'll never win the league, nor ever be anything but whipping boys in Europe on those rare occasions when we qualify for the Yoofa Cup. Any decent player we uncover is almost immediately snapped up, usually by the Old Filth. The game has changed so much since I was a laddie. Celtic and Rangers are completely out of sight in Scotland now. But they are nothing no-marks despite their pretensions and posturing to the Premiership top dogs. And Hibs have no hope whatsoever of being anything but also rans in a crappy Old Firm obsessed league. The gulfs will only get bigger and bigger. Sometimes you have to ask what is the point?

I think I'm suffering from post-Mowbray syndrome. I too am pretty disillusioned by Hibs under Petrie. He just doesn't have the football nous in my view. Mowbray was a big opportunity to burst out of the cycle of mediocrity but either Petrie didn't see it or he got cold feet. I can't see us getting that chance again.

I've only been to one game this season. My Saturdays are tied up. But now that I've drifted away I can see me just dropping Hibs altogether. I think it could be very easy.

Reading this has reminded me of getting stopped by a copper on my way through to a derby game during the Blobby era.

He asked me where I was going and when I told him, told me that he used to be an ST holder but as the OF pulled away and Hibs lacked ambition (in his opinion) he didn't see the point and chose to be with his family on Saturdays. Hadn't been for 13 years at the time after his family being ST holders for 20+ years prior to that.

When I think of the dirge he had to endure whilst he was an ST holder in the early 80's, I'm surprised it took him to around the Rangers League cup final and a half decent Hibs team, to jack it.

auldhibs32
02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Having left Edinburgh in 1962 I don't get to see Hibs as much as I'd like, but there is no greater thrill for me than to see those green jerseys running out. I could have adopted the OF when I started teaching in North Yorks. But when Kids asked me what team I support I always, said "The team from my home town. Hibernian." You cannot live a lie by changing.

:greengrin:greengrin

Speedway
02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Not for me.
Hibs isn't just a hobby, it's part of my life.
You can't just duck in and out of supporting Hibs when you feel like it, IMO.

Hibernian 'til I die, etc.

Come back in twenty years and see how you feel. If you feel the same way, I'll be unsure whether to view you admirably as a true Hibby or pity your mentally troubled condition.

The_Todd
02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I lived in Cardiff for 3 years, but thanks to hibs.net, Scotsman website and news.bbc.co.uk (and it's live streaming radio commentary) it was easy so I never felt too far away from the action.

Still, great to be back in the East again! :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
02-10-2008, 04:03 PM

I agree entirely with the point in bold. I think it is very easy for a fan of a club like Hibs to ask the question "What is the point"?

What I would say in response to that is that you have to cling onto the hope that one day something will happen that will change football in general and allow teams like Hibs to really compete. I also think that it makes days like 18th March '07 much more special because days like that are so rare for fans of teams with limited success.

It frustrates me to think that no matter what, Hibs will never seriously compete in Scotland, never mind in Europe unless we either get investment from a rich Sheikh, football becomes an amateur sport or Rangers and Celtic leave Scottish football.

I think people also support a club because it gives them a sense of belonging to something or being part of a "second family".

The_Todd
02-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree entirely with the point in bold. I think it is very easy for a fan of a club like Hibs to ask the question "What is the point"?

What I would say in response to that is that you have to cling onto the hope that one day something will happen that will change football in general and allow teams like Hibs to really compete. I also think that it makes days like 18th March '07 much more special because days like that are so rare for fans of teams with limited success.

It frustrates me to think that no matter what, Hibs will never seriously compete in Scotland, never mind in Europe unless we either get investment from a rich Sheikh, football becomes an amateur sport or Rangers and Celtic leave Scottish football.

I think people also support a club because it gives them a sense of belonging to something or being part of a "second family".

How I pray for the day!

7Hero
02-10-2008, 04:17 PM
just to reiterate my point as reading back i probably lost it, i would never stop SUPPORTING hibs, i think its the commitment to going to the games that is the issue, one i am fast falling into...

ill always be a hibbie though.

PiemanP
02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
How I pray for the day!

:agree: sadly the day the premiership clubs signed that new multi million TV deal a few season ago, that dream died :boo hoo:

Chuckie
02-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Bar 3 yeards living in Denmark...

" I go along to cheer them every other Saturday "

Hibs complete me, without them I'm nothing.. :wink:

Alex fae B&Q
02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I've felt like trying to distance myself from the whole football scene and to try and achieve a scenario where when the results come through and Hibs haven't won,I can think " Oh well,never mind" But as of now I haven't been able to pull it off. I know dozens of guys that have though.I know loads of people my age or thereabouts that haven't been for years that used to be there every week that retain a love of the club but are divorced from the pain and frustrations and sufferings that I go through and sometimes I do envy them :dunno: Anyway...This time next year Rodney..:thumbsup:The Treble :thumbsup:

That's pretty much where I'm at just now. Haven't been to a game this season and not even been on this board for a while. TBH it's been coming since the letdown of the Scottish Cup semi defeat to the Pars two seasons ago. That hit me bad. I know a lot of fans would say 'but we still won the CIS Cup that season, what more do you expect?' but for me that defeat took a lot of the shine off the cup win because it really summed Hibs up. We could and should have reached both finals that year but to lose in the semi, yet again, to a team who were bottom of the SPL (as Dundee United and Aberdeen were when we lost dismally to them in recent semis) just made me realise Hibs will NEVER have the mentality to be a genuinely respected side. I don't expect us to challenge for the title, I just want to be able to support a team who do not view the likes of Killie and Motherwell as our equals. I don't think that's unreasonable. A game against Hibs should be one these teams regard with apprehension, not a good chance to pick up some points.

This season I have, on occasion, avoided finding out the Hibs score on a Saturday if I've got something else on that would be spoiled by the knowledge we got beat. I'll wait until the Sunday papers (or sometimes even Monday) before finding out, which works both ways: If we've lost then at least I haven't soured my weekend, and if we've won I get a boost to start the week!

I can't see myself ever stopping supporting Hibs, but by keeping them at a distance for a while I reckon I've got a better perspective on their importance to my life. I needed a break basically.

We done it Dad
02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
In the 70's and early 80's I followed Hibs everywhere (on the old excursion buses). Then I went to a Murrayfield Racers ice hockey game and got hooked. It was great as you could sit in your seat with a pint and watch Kell, Paul Hand and Heavy punch lumps out of the opposition (all perfectly legal). Huge crowds against Fife and Durham and a great atmosphere and great weekends down a Wembley. My wife thoroughly enjoyed this as well as it was a real mixed crowd. Then I got involved in helping with the team and had to travel all over Britain with the likes of Paul and Tony Hand, Jock Hay, Mike Ware, Chris Kelland and many more great guys. But I was always a Hibby, could never make the games but always watched out for the scores. Then when the Racers folded I was absolutely gutted, but then started coming back to the odd Hibs game. Now me and my daughter are season ticket holders.

sleeping giant
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I couldnt not support them. I couldnt support another team either.
Always have and always will. Always :blah:
:greengrin

surreyhibbie
02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
When I started watching Hibs, it was just before the TT era, and we were a very good team, got to Cup Finals and finished 2nd in the league two years running, European football regularly. I seriously believed we could win the league one day but as the years went on it became less and less likely.

Once went to every home game (and almost every away game) for 2 1/2 years before I met the missus......

I would probably have kept it up, cash permitting, for the rest of my life if I hadn't moved to the deep South, and that's when I kinda lost touch.

There was no Internet then, and very difficult to get hold of the Scottish papers, and the English papers barely mentioned Scottish results(and often got them completely wrong!)

So I sort of lost touch a bit, still loved the Hibs but had no real idea what was happening at the club.

Things are different now, and I can keep track of all the news and opinions, and can afford to come back now and then for the games. My younger son in partcular is a fanatical Hibby and anything I miss, he tells me.

So No, I have never stopped supporting Hibs, it got difficult for a while and I didn't pay them enough attention but never ever gave up on them.:thumbsup:

heretoday
02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
In the 70's and early 80's I followed Hibs everywhere (on the old excursion buses). Then I went to a Murrayfield Racers ice hockey game and got hooked. It was great as you could sit in your seat with a pint and watch Kell, Paul Hand and Heavy punch lumps out of the opposition (all perfectly legal). Huge crowds against Fife and Durham and a great atmosphere and great weekends down a Wembley. My wife thoroughly enjoyed this as well as it was a real mixed crowd. Then I got involved in helping with the team and had to travel all over Britain with the likes of Paul and Tony Hand, Jock Hay, Mike Ware, Chris Kelland and many more great guys. But I was always a Hibby, could never make the games but always watched out for the scores. Then when the Racers folded I was absolutely gutted, but then started coming back to the odd Hibs game. Now me and my daughter are season ticket holders.

I always thought it was amusing when fans raised their scarves in the air and sang "You'll never skate alone"! You needed a scarf too as the rink got very cold after a while.

shaun.lawson
03-10-2008, 05:31 AM

This is such a good point - and one which, given the way big money dominates the game nowadays, actually applies to the vast majority of football fans everywhere: all but the supporters of a mere handful of elite European clubs. I was talking with a Celtic-supporting mate the other day, and he felt his club had become complacent about success, and lost its hunger. I agreed, feeling this was only natural. Why? Because in sport, and in life, when teams or individuals achieve something significant, they naturally want to do more: to go to the next level. But Celtic's glass ceiling is winning the SPL and, at a push, reaching the CL last 16: simple finance dictates that they can't go any further.

So players leave for clubs with more 'ambition', others can't summon up the same levels of motivation just to achieve the same Pyrrhic victory, and fans become disillusioned, even bored. But the trouble is, a glass ceiling now applies to almost every club throughout Europe. What's the point of being a fan of a great old club like Tottenham, Everton, Villa or Newcastle, when the CL spots have effectively been siphoned off, and even finishing 4th will leave you with a horrendously difficult tie against a Spanish or Italian counterpart? What's the point of supporting a big Championship club, when if you go up, you'll probably go straight back down, and in any case, everything becomes about finishing fourth from bottom? What's the point of supporting any club outside the OF, when the best any of us can ever hope for is 3rd place, and in all likelihood, an early exit from the UEFA Cup?

It's a huge problem. Ultimately though, I've never thought being a football fan was about constantly winning: it's about moments. Moments you share with your fellow fans, and reminisce about years afterwards; and especially, those rare occasions when everything seems to be going right. We know it won't last - it never does - but the good times sustain us through the bad. In Hearts' fans case, 1997/8, the brief Burley days or winning the Cup; in Hibs' fans case, 2000/1, 2004/5, or stuffing Killie at Hampden.

And always, in spite of everything, that dream: that someday, our team really will encounter glory, the like of which had never been seen before. This is wholly irrational - indeed, I frequently get in trouble on JKB for being too rational, and reducing everything to hard economic reality - but as was pointed out to me on there, supporting a football club is not a rational pursuit. We have to have those dreams, otherwise there's little left. Look at Hull this season, Motherwell last, or Reading and Colchester the year before that. Look at what Crewe did for over a decade under Dario Gradi. Of course, it came to an end - all good thngs invariably do - but those achievements should sustain their fans for years to come.

For those of us without the sad inferiority complexes leading people to throw their lot in behind the Big Four or Old Firm, in truth, our teams are either ***** or mediocre for maybe 90% of the time. But that other 10% provides moments which gloryhunters and bandwagon jumpers will never understand: because seeing your team really surpass itself and achieve something special will remain with us forever. And in all honesty, I doubt any of us would have it any other way.

rainman
03-10-2008, 05:49 AM

Mint mate!

Surprised I've never seen it around Perth. Will give you a peep if I do. :thumbsup:

M8UDB
03-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Could never stop supporting Hibs and could never support another team. Even watching Scotland play i dont get that same feeling inside as i do watching Hibs. If that day ever comes where we lift the scottish cup ill be there bubblin like a little girl :boo hoo:

Wembley67
03-10-2008, 07:40 AM
just to reiterate my point as reading back i probably lost it, i would never stop SUPPORTING hibs, i think its the commitment to going to the games that is the issue, one i am fast falling into...

ill always be a hibbie though.

My god you really are a part timer......you had better dig that yams strip out again :greengrin

matty_f
03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I was starting to lose it during the Blobby years. The 04 CIS final was probably the breaking point for me. For me though, it's impossible to lose interest or turn your back on the team.

Just now there's 2 things that I love - my family, and Hibernian FC.

GGTTH

Jones28
03-10-2008, 08:37 AM
This is such a good point - and one which, given the way big money dominates the game nowadays, actually applies to the vast majority of football fans everywhere: all but the supporters of a mere handful of elite European clubs. I was talking with a Celtic-supporting mate the other day, and he felt his club had become complacent about success, and lost its hunger. I agreed, feeling this was only natural. Why? Because in sport, and in life, when teams or individuals achieve something significant, they naturally want to do more: to go to the next level. But Celtic's glass ceiling is winning the SPL and, at a push, reaching the CL last 16: simple finance dictates that they can't go any further.

So players leave for clubs with more 'ambition', others can't summon up the same levels of motivation just to achieve the same Pyrrhic victory, and fans become disillusioned, even bored. But the trouble is, a glass ceiling now applies to almost every club throughout Europe. What's the point of being a fan of a great old club like Tottenham, Everton, Villa or Newcastle, when the CL spots have effectively been siphoned off, and even finishing 4th will leave you with a horrendously difficult tie against a Spanish or Italian counterpart? What's the point of supporting a big Championship club, when if you go up, you'll probably go straight back down, and in any case, everything becomes about finishing fourth from bottom? What's the point of supporting any club outside the OF, when the best any of us can ever hope for is 3rd place, and in all likelihood, an early exit from the UEFA Cup?

It's a huge problem. Ultimately though, I've never thought being a football fan was about constantly winning: it's about moments. Moments you share with your fellow fans, and reminisce about years afterwards; and especially, those rare occasions when everything seems to be going right. We know it won't last - it never does - but the good times sustain us through the bad. In Hearts' fans case, 1997/8, the brief Burley days or winning the Cup; in Hibs' fans case, 2000/1, 2004/5, or stuffing Killie at Hampden.

And always, in spite of everything, that dream: that someday, our team really will encounter glory, the like of which had never been seen before. This is wholly irrational - indeed, I frequently get in trouble on JKB for being too rational, and reducing everything to hard economic reality - but as was pointed out to me on there, supporting a football club is not a rational pursuit. We have to have those dreams, otherwise there's little left. Look at Hull this season, Motherwell last, or Reading and Colchester the year before that. Look at what Crewe did for over a decade under Dario Gradi. Of course, it came to an end - all good thngs invariably do - but those achievements should sustain their fans for years to come.

For those of us without the sad inferiority complexes leading people to throw their lot in behind the Big Four or Old Firm, in truth, our teams are either ***** or mediocre for maybe 90% of the time. But that other 10% provides moments which gloryhunters and bandwagon jumpers will never understand: because seeing your team really surpass itself and achieve something special will remain with us forever. And in all honesty, I doubt any of us would have it any other way.

Spot on Shaun :agree:

These moments are not all about winning either - I will never forget walking up the steps to see ER for the first time or funny moments watching a game with my mates - or just feeling part of something bigger in my life. Feeling pain when we get humped is bad but knowing many others feel the same is somehow comforting.

Things like reading 'Mass Hibsteria' helped me realise that many people feel the same way about hibs as I do and that we have brilliant fans who are so passionate about the club we support.

To those who did Mass Hibsteria - thank you for helping cutlivate my passion for all things hibernian. :thumbsup:

Football is about emotions and these 'moments' make it seem so worthwhile.

Big90inOz
03-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Mint mate!

Surprised I've never seen it around Perth. Will give you a peep if I do. :thumbsup:

Peep loud................. I always have the music cranked right up. :greengrin

Bayern Bru
03-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Come back in twenty years and see how you feel. If you feel the same way, I'll be unsure whether to view you admirably as a true Hibby or pity your mentally troubled condition.

that's a moot point.
for example, i turned up week in, week out under Williamson, and supported the team, regardless of the pie that was slowly trying to destroy the team. But I'm certainly not delusional; I wouldn't class myself as one of the happy clappers thinking everything was going to turn out alright even when we were getting gubbed 3-0 by Clyde.

But I turn up and back the team regardless of league position, etc. For me it would seem unnatural to stop supporting Hibs, or not to go along to a home game without a valid reason. Even when I've been travelling across the world, such as Vietnam, Washington DC, I've still been desperate to find out the Hibs score 'cause it means THAT much to me.

see you in twenty years mate; i'll be the "true Hibby."

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Quality post mate! :agree:

7Hero
03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
My god you really are a part timer......you had better dig that yams strip out again :greengrin

Do your own teammates shoot you in COD 4 aswell ya numpty...
:bye:

andrew_dundee
03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
quality post mr Lawson :thumbsup:

your football team shouldnt be about how much they win or lose, it should be about your family or about your heritage. usually we support the teams of our fathers (and mothers!) or we support our local teams, this is how football should be, for me it's about identity.

a football team is the sum of it's fans and it takes commitment from the fans to drive a club. Top marks to everyone who has ever supported hibs through the bad patches, it's the commitment of our fathers etc which has ensured that the current generation of fans have a team to support.

if it can be disheartning supporting Hibs then imagine supporting a team like Forfar Athletic who will probably never touch the SPL let alone win it! that's what football is about: passion, commitment and a feeling of playing a part in your team, football is a sport which is sometimes sad and sometime ecstatic, in all cases it's an emotional sport

2 memories stick in my head from Hibs, the first one is the bitter feeling of losing the cup to Livi during the Bobby era and the other is winning the same cup under JC. those 2 days were emotional polar opposites but the fact that any sport can make people feel the way we all did as Hibees on both of those days is the reason why football means so much.

if we wanted the easy life we would support the OF, i have nothing against OF fans who are simply following their local team or their family team, what i hate is the glory- hunters! Credit to all fans who support and get behind their team, football is increasingly being taken over by money south of the border and in a situation where we cant compete economically it can only be the commitment of fans which ensures we have a club to follow and a team to pass on to our sons and daughters.

Wembley67
03-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Do your own teammates shoot you in COD 4 aswell ya numpty...
:bye:

Absolute shocking comeback...THE ENEMY UAV IS AIRBORNE!

Silky
03-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I've never stopped supporting Hibs and I never will. Sure, I don't go as much as I did when I was younger (even in times like the Miller, Blobby years when the team was worse, bizarrely!!) but I always make sure if I canny get to ER that I am within earshot of a radio. Hibs, for me, is a love. It is something that will never go away. I was born and brought up in Leith and Hibs forms part of my heritage. I'll always be a Hibby and when my kid comes along next year, I hope that it will be a Hibby as well.

Mag7
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I honestly think I am now capable of walking away for good. Yesterday, as I've said, had the feel of a watershed moment for many fans and I suspect we'll see the lowest home crowd we've had at an SPL match for a number of years on Saturday. A mate of mine who I used to go to every home game with has stopped going this season and says it's not actually as hard as he imagined it would be.

tooley
12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I did not renew my season ticket after the way Sauzee was treated.
Needless to say I still payed at the gate every week and still went to all the away games so don't think its that easy to "walk away"!

MB62
12-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I honestly think I am now capable of walking away for good. Yesterday, as I've said, had the feel of a watershed moment for many fans and I suspect we'll see the lowest home crowd we've had at an SPL match for a number of years on Saturday. A mate of mine who I used to go to every home game with has stopped going this season and says it's not actually as hard as he imagined it would be.

I have stopped going and believe me, it's b100dy hard all right, I hate not going to Easter Road when the Hibees are playing but I simply refuse to pay the money to watch the dross that mixu has us playing.
I have been to three games this season, Dundee Utd when we won 2-1 and that was steal of the century stuff, we were 2nd best by a fair distance that day. The 3-0 defeat to the sons of darkness which was hugely embarrassing to say the very least, and the 2-0 win over Hamilton which was mind blowingly boring and Hamilton were the better team in the 2nd half.

I can tell you now though, unless we have a change of manager, myself and many friends and family will not be back again this season, and it hurts enourmously to say that.

IWasThere2016
12-01-2009, 12:47 PM
I have stopped going and believe me, it's b100dy hard all right, I hate not going to Easter Road when the Hibees are playing but I simply refuse to pay the money to watch the dross that mixu has us playing.
I have been to three games this season, Dundee Utd when we won 2-1 and that was steal of the century stuff, we were 2nd best by a fair distance that day. The 3-0 defeat to the sons of darkness which was hugely embarrassing to say the very least, and the 2-0 win over Hamilton which was mind blowingly boring and Hamilton were the better team in the 2nd half.

I can tell you now though, unless we have a change of manager, myself and many friends and family will not be back again this season, and it hurts enourmously to say that.

My one visit to ER this season - it was get the masks on! :greengrin

I was at the return fixture - we were rotten! :grr:

I don't know when I'll be back - thankfully I decided against the Killie 2-4 game and yesterday!

I'd love to take my young lad to ER .. but that's just cruelty!

Mag7
12-01-2009, 01:41 PM

Yeh, my mate would prefer to still be going but he's less of grumpy b***er these days simply by not being there. Like you, he wasn't even really enjoying the wins due to the football being played.

Killiehibbie
12-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I remember an auld boy who I worked beside 20 years ago who told me he never went back after Cropley was sold. His reasoning being that was a team that could've/should've won plenty but no ambition upstairs prevented this. I hardly missed a game for a decade but over the years I have came to understand that he was right. We plod along with the odd great result followed by more not so good results win a League Cup then downhill. Hibs have caused me all sorts of grief over the years but I still go whenever I can and sometimes when i shouldn't.

heretoday
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
You can't change the team you've supported since childhood - unfortunately.

The best you can do is achieve a kind of philosophical outlook that says "It's only a game, it's swings and roundabouts and while our fortunes are taking a hit just now it's only a matter of time before we administer another whacking to the Hearts."

MB62
12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
You can't change the team you've supported since childhood - unfortunately.

I will never ever change my team, it is something that has never been contemplated, it just will not happen, being a Hibby has been the biggest part of my life, it's what I am, and the wife doesn't attempt to argue that, she has accepted it and joined in.

The best you can do is achieve a kind of philosophical outlook that says "It's only a game, it's swings and roundabouts and while our fortunes are taking a hit just now it's only a matter of time before we administer another whacking to the Hearts."

Problem is, it means a helluva lot more to people than 'just being a game' or simply beating hearts every now and again, as pleasurable as that is.

Mag7
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I've felt like jacking it in a few times to be honest.Not that I would support anyone else ever ..More the thought of trying to distance myself from the whole football scene and to try and achieve a scenario where when the results come through and Hibs haven't won,I can think " Oh well,never mind" But as of now I haven't been able to pull it off. I know dozens of guys that have though.I know loads of people my age or thereabouts that haven't been for years that used to be there every week that retain a love of the club but are divorced from the pain and frustrations and sufferings that I go through and sometimes I do envy them :dunno: Anyway...This time next year Rodney..:thumbsup:The Treble :thumbsup:

That's it in a nutshell for me. I think it's possible but just haven't managed it yet either. It would be different if I thought the dreams I had for Hibs as a kid were ever going to come true. I could keep sticking things out if that were the case, but as you get older you realise we're stuck with underachieving mediocrity so the decision to walk away should, in theory, be easier!

IanFaeClerrie
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
as you get older you realise we're stuck with underachieving mediocrity

When I read Turnbull's book (thanks Gogs), all the reasoning got sorted out. Why we got rid of Gordon and O'Rourke and all the players I loved so much and brought in Harper.

It didn't make sense at the time and I stopped going in '76 but only because I started playing rugby after leaving school. I still went to all the midweek games and games on international days but I was never involved as I had been in my teenage years or for the previous years when my dad took us.

When Hibs just become another competing interest, you can give them up for something like rugby. For the ten years I lived in the US, I had HI but I rarely listened live to Radio Hibs or watched games live as I was coaching youth football - always watched them on my laptop on the Sunday or Monday though.

Now it costs so much for myself and my two kids, it's difficult to justify the cost when the entertainment is so poor. Ibrox was completely rubbish as was Falkirk and we wondered wtf we were doing. At the moment, my kids still want to go but when this changes, I'd rather spend a Saturday with my wife than watching the boring rubbish we've been playng.

I think it's really important that we do stop going and that we complain when the entertainment on show (and for many of us, it's our only entertainment of the week due to money) is not value for money. Coaches like Mowbray, Wenger and Yogi deserve to be supported because they get the importance of entertainment and we have every right to complain when Mixu is just trying not to lose and stifling creativity.

and to answer the original question - yes I do know a guy who gave up completely around the same time as me and for the past 30 years he's been one of the most successful sports promoters in the East of Scotland - Mike Hunter of the Edinburgh Monarchs speedway team. They won the UK premier league in October!

Alicky Ranks
12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
When I read Turnbull's book (thanks Gogs), all the reasoning got sorted out. Why we got rid of Gordon and O'Rourke and all the players I loved so much and brought in Harper.

It didn't make sense at the time and I stopped going in '76 but only because I started playing rugby after leaving school. I still went to all the midweek games and games on international days but I was never involved as I had been in my teenage years or for the previous years when my dad took us.

When Hibs just become another competing interest, you can give them up for something like rugby. For the ten years I lived in the US, I had HI but I rarely listened live to Radio Hibs or watched games live as I was coaching youth football - always watched them on my laptop on the Sunday or Monday though.

Now it costs so much for myself and my two kids, it's difficult to justify the cost when the entertainment is so poor. Ibrox was completely rubbish as was Falkirk and we wondered wtf we were doing. At the moment, my kids still want to go but when this changes, I'd rather spend a Saturday with my wife than watching the boring rubbish we've been playng.

I think it's really important that we do stop going and that we complain when the entertainment on show (and for many of us, it's our only entertainment of the week due to money) is not value for money. Coaches like Mowbray, Wenger and Yogi deserve to be supported because they get the importance of entertainment and we have every right to complain when Mixu is just trying not to lose and stifling creativity.

and to answer the original question - yes I do know a guy who gave up completely around the same time as me and for the past 30 years he's been one of the most successful sports promoters in the East of Scotland - Mike Hunter of the Edinburgh Monarchs speedway team. They won the UK premier league in October!

Interesting post Ian, and I agree completely. Fans should not regard it as some sort of badge of honour to keep turning up through thick and thin, wasting money watching dross. Especially when, like now, the product could clearly be so much better if the manager had some sort of clue about how to get the best out of the players he has. I think more and more fans are starting to think this way and to be frank the club deserve what they get for allowing things to go backwards so quickly.

Mag7
12-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Interesting post Ian, and I agree completely. Fans should not regard it as some sort of badge of honour to keep turning up through thick and thin, wasting money watching dross. Especially when, like now, the product could clearly be so much better if the manager had some sort of clue about how to get the best out of the players he has. I think more and more fans are starting to think this way and to be frank the club deserve what they get for allowing things to go backwards so quickly.

:agree:

RickyS
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM

Absolutely first class!!! I have never lost my love for Hibs from a very young age and relegation made me cry! and lived in a trance the whole summer, ive had the "why the fu* am i doing this to myself (Livi and Yams 4-0 spring to mind) but never been able to walk away, tho there is a big possibility me the wife and bairns will be emigrating to NZ this year.

Dashing Bob S
12-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Going to watch Hibs used to be big fun for me. Now if it wasn't for a day out with my circle of friends, I probably wouldn't bother. It feels a bit like visiting a sick, elderly relative - you go out of a sense of duty rather than expect to be entertained.

Mowbray had his critics and we were sometimes muscled out of games by garbage outfits, but when it did come together it was a joy to watch.

The infuriating thing is that we actually do have a decent squad (apart from the obvious lack of a playmaker in the middle of the park, but we are underperforming big time.

I'll never stop being a Hibs fan but my love if for the club rather than the team, and I've been to fewer games than any other season I can remember. I don't mind us losing, but we're easy meat for fifth-rate outfits at ER. ICT, Killie and Hearts aren't world-beaters.

weecounty hibby
12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I have stopped going, but not supporting or caring, and it was mostly down to costs. My wife has had to give up work so we lost a wage to the household.

Two things. Firstly I still go when I can and take my nearly 4 year old son who loves Hibs, we were both ST holders when he was 2 so the brain washing started early. BUT coming from an area which has 60% huns 39% tic and 1% others it will be harder and harder when he gets to school to keep him a Hibby especially if we continue the way we are. Something that I dread.

Secondly, I have never felt more depressed watching a game as yesterday. I was in the house with my son who gave up and did other things and I told him Hibs had won.
I can understand the feeling of " I am not going back" but believe me when I say that you still get excited by walking up to ER and seeing that beautiful strip running out the tunnel when you don't get along as often as you used to or would like to. The problems come when they kick off. My last game at ER with my boy was 2-4 Killie!! I was also at Tynie last week.

I still feel gutted today but it is for my son that I feel the most. I would not swap my 36 years of watching Hibs and two trophies for all of the OF titles etc. I honestly believe that I have enjoyed? watching Hibs with my mates from the Alloa bus more than most OF supporters. But I can see it being harder to keep youngsters as Hibbies from areas outside Edinburgh if we do not improve the quality and the chances of winning trophies

jdships
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM

That sum's me up as well !!:thumbsup:
I have never and never will stop "supporting " Hibs but can easily put aside the emotional problems that are created by being a Hibee.
I doubt if I will be at ER again this season but will still read this board and look for the result on a Saturday.

Football for me is about entertainment be it watching a match at Leith Links or ER and while a good result adds to the entetainment it is not the be all and end all for me .
When I played no one was more upset than I was when we lost ( in hindsight probably due to bonus money down the pan :greengrin:) but by Monday and back at training it was another "day another dollar" .

flag

vincipernoi
12-01-2009, 11:24 PM
wasn't brought up a hibee but fell in love with the club as a student

never stopped loving the club as an instituition despite various disasters, players, directors, boards, managers and goal keeping coaches

always watched for results or updates depending on where I was

would pay to watch hibernian football club play on a public park

to paraphrase begbie (not the best role model) we're hibs, we don't give up

GBTH

King Paddy
13-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Around about the late 1980's i stopped going for about a year or so. Funnily enough it was after the yams beat us 4-1 at E.R at new year, put away my scarf all hibs books etc. I am not proud of what i did but i just could not watch my beloved hibees playing utter p.... I started watching ice hockey and became at that time a fan of the murruyfield racers. I loved the goals where matches finished in our favour 11-2 etc. I lost interest some years back but still look for their results. I must admit i am getting to the stage where i no longer enjoy going to Easter road. The atmosphere is like a morgue, and the lack of harmony among our supporters is very disconcerting. Habit is the only reason i will go on Saturday plus i have paid for my season ticket. Looking into my crystal ball i know the outcome before i set foot inside the stadium. Crap performance, crowd on the players back and a 1-0 win for the Saints. Sorry to be a gloom and doom merchant but i suppose i'm just like grumpy gibby the west stand Hibee.

confused
13-01-2009, 05:43 AM
My Dad lifted me over the turnstile in the early 50's to see us beat Aberdeen, we stood on the high second terrace, 50 something years later i still cant find a cure for this addiction, i've tried a few times to kick "the illness !" but no i'm sorry i'm doomed to a life of being HIBS CRAZY!!!

the.wee.man.
13-01-2009, 08:02 AM
My Dad lifted me over the turnstile in the early 50's to see us beat Aberdeen, we stood on the high second terrace, 50 something years later i still cant find a cure for this addiction, i've tried a few times to kick "the illness !" but no i'm sorry i'm doomed to a life of being HIBS CRAZY!!!

The Tash Man wiill be huvvin none ay that in these hard economic times !:wink:

jst1875
13-01-2009, 08:28 AM

i know this guy.......... hibs tattoos on his legs, fell out with the ticket office when he went to renew his st so he bought one for hertz instead ! ! :bitchy:
every time you see him now he has a hertz top on , , total twat

Alicky Ranks
07-05-2009, 01:09 PM

Given that the gloom levels are probably the highest they've ever been on this board I was put in mind of this thread I posted a few months back and wondered if a few more of us have become tempted to walk away from it all?

Hibs Spain if you're reading this, care to share with me how the guys you mentioned managed to 'divorce themselves from the pain'?

whiskyhibby
07-05-2009, 08:34 PM
No absolutely not even when living in London, Australia, Norway and Sheep Land.

Born and bred Leither and true Hibby

:jamboak::jamboak::jamboak::jamboak::jamboak::jamb oak::jamboak::jamboak::jamboak::jamboak:

heretoday
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
You can't stop. All it takes is something like tonight's match and you're off again!

heretoday
24-09-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't go as often as I used to. As I get older I seem to find so many things to do on a Saturday other than sitting on a hard seat in a draughty stand getting depressed at the quality of football before me.

It's impossible to stop supporting Hibs though. Can't be done.

wpj
24-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Always looked for the result and been chuffed with a win and p'd off with a loss, been away from Edinburgh since 1992 was a home and away fan up til then. Remember being in New York in 95 on a Monday, bought a copy of the times and saw we had beaten Motherwell, made my day, i'm sure many fans of other clubs get the same buzz

Dr_Regal
25-09-2009, 03:52 AM
I was born a rangers fan from Stirling but one xmas when I was 7 my gran took my brother and I on a shopping to edinburgh. we walked into intersport and there was no Rangers strips left in my size, so my gran made me pick out another team and low and behold it was a hibs strip.

Ever since then I have been plaugued with this addiction to Hibernian football club.

Through growing up in aberdeen and spending a couple of years in England I've always been a dire hard hibs fan. this will never change. My wife and I are expecting in March with the hibs baby clothes already picked out, nae chance for the wee one!

I am coming back to Scotland for 8 months this wkd after being exiled in the states for 3 years. I can honestly tell you the thing I'm most looking foward too(after family) is the Dundee United game next week.

GGTTH

StevieC
25-09-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm ashamed to admit that in August 1982, I decided to never go back (you just HAD to be there).

I got REALLY bored so attended a few Celtc games with a Celtc supporting mate; I stress to relieve the boredom only, I was NEVER a Celtc fan! Anyway, my vow of abstinence lasted two months.

Funnily enough, the mate I mentioned above was originally a Hibby, before I met him. He turned to the dark side because of peer pressure, so I suppose I had a lucky(?) escape. :wink:

That is weird because I got caught up in an identical situation in 1982!

Used to go to Hibs games with a classmate (Barry McBride) who turned to the dark side. There was a Celtc bus used to leave the Centurion Bar in Corstorphine and I ended up heading to a couple of games. I have to admit that it was quite exciting for a teenager to experience the trip and stand in "the jungle", and I could see now how it might have caused an impressionable young mind to swap allegiances.

Thankfully though I fought the evil orcs off and stayed true to the cause.

:greengrin

Sudds_1
25-09-2009, 08:34 AM
One of the earlier posts summed it all up for me. Love of Hibs is like a tattoo.......hard to get rid of. For me though it's something that I can't really find an absolute analogy nor indeed the right words.

It's either "in you" or it isn't. If you have that Hibs love it stays with you for life - through good and bad. I doubt anyone really knows or can put into words WHY they support Hibs - lets face it, it's not because the Club wins anything, plays consistent flair footy or better :wink: or struts the world stage like many of the so called rich glamour clubs, constantly involved in European games attracting other glam clubs and enjoying success year on year.

Perhaps it is because in the main it's the team you grew up with....and like a parent towards an errant child you can get angry with them sometimes, but still retain that underlying and unconditional love. Mind you, as I get older I find that while the love remains undininished I'm able to take a more relaxed view when they let us down..........bit like a prodigal son or daughter! Far removed from my younger days when any Hibs defeat was met with anger, sulks and completely ruined my week.

Guess we all have to grow up sometime.......even though when I'm at the game I mysteriously turn into a form of my younger self again. Hard to explain, but I'm sure most know what I mean! :greengrin

TornadoHibby
25-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Not me, I've been coming back for more and more since my Dad first lifted me over the gates into the old Albion Rd end many years ago now! :agree:

He's 86 now and still a ST holder now in the Lower West and rarely misses a game! :greengrin

On old saying comes to mind here which I was reminded of quite recently! :cool2:

"You can change your car, you can change your house, you can even change your wife BUT you can NEVER change your football team!" :agree:

basehibby
25-09-2009, 10:54 AM
There was a period of years in my teens when I was a very infrequent attender of games (a game a season if that) - this was largely through getting into the music scene and playing in bands and stuff (used to practice on a saturday). But I never stopped caring - would always check for the Hibs result in the papers.
But after a while I got back into it through going to games with some mates from the Uni and this persistant and often painful addiction has never left me since :greengrin

Mikeystewart
25-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Not going back has passed my mind but i would never stop supporting them.

Bayern Bru
25-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Never.

I was there week in week out under Williamson.

(and bloody heavy he was too :greengrin)

But in all seriousness, I would never stop supporting Hibs. I couldn't.

skipster7
25-09-2009, 01:15 PM
:faf::faf::faf: very funny and so true from self experience.

Vince White
22-03-2010, 09:58 PM
It took me a while to track this thread down, but I knew it existed somewhere. IMHO it kind of sums up where so many of us are at just now. So frustrated yet unable to stop caring! It makes you feel better about it all when you have a read through and remember that there are so many fans feeling exactly the same :wink:

Fingers crossed that tomorrow doesn't prove to be the catalyst which really does persuade me to walk away. Come on Hibs, give us something to believe in again!

Forza Fred
23-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm 58 and emigrated from Edinburgh in 1974.

I can honestly say that since I emigrated there hasn't been one day that I haven't thought about the Hibs.

We'll win tonight, ..this is OUR year!

Hibs On Tour
23-03-2010, 05:31 PM
'aving a giraffe!

Some things are just beyond the pale FFS.

No matter how ****** you never stop loving your team. You can maybe stop torturing yourself by watching them week in, week out for a while [I confess to 0-0 draws in the pishing rain v Hamilton etc kinda wore out the 'beautiful game' aspect of supporting] but you *always* come back. Not always when you're doing better ironically!

Hibs till I die! :agree:

Vince White
23-03-2010, 11:23 PM
The way I feel just now I'd rather I never started supporting them.

FranckSuzy
23-03-2010, 11:35 PM
To me, supporting Hibs is like being in an abusive relationship. The more they kick the sheet out of you, the more you come back for and you would kill for one act of kindness/ a sign that they care. Where's the abused fan's shelter helpline :confused: :boo hoo:

An Leargaidh
24-03-2010, 02:48 AM

I will still support Hibs even when we are battling Stranraer in the fight to stay in the SFL at the bottom of the Third Division in 2018 :agree:

Mag7
24-03-2010, 08:18 AM
I thought I'd sleep on it before trying to make any sort of balanced comment about Hibs after last night's humiliation. Sadly, it was a near sleepless night spent dwelling on how after supporting this club since the tail end of the Tornadoes I've realised that they actually give me more grief than pleasure. That can't be a good thing and there's more to life than letting a football team drag you down. I have a good job, some lovely kids and there's not a lot that gets me down in general, but Hibs? They've become a weight around my neck I'd really rather be shot of.

I doubt it's possible to truly 'give up' supporting them but for me an extended break from all things Hibs is, I think, the best solution.

down the slope
24-03-2010, 08:26 AM
I feel like the spinster who has been led up the isle so many time only to have the groom no turn up !, there was a time at the end of the Miller era i stopped looking for our results and from one week to the next i never knew the score. Maybe it's time to do the same as it seems our esteemed chairman who is good at putting up buildings and upping prices seems incapable of choosing a good manager.
We can all go on here and vent our spleen but at the end of the day the only thing that changes directors opinions is bums on seats and you can count on mine not being there next season.

euro Hibby
24-03-2010, 08:57 AM
never ....but they have pissed me off many a time,,,,,

Vince White
24-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Believe me, it is possible to just walk away. Circumstances took me a long way from Edinburgh for a couple of years back in the 80s when Bertie Auld was boss which, granted, made it easier to stop keeping in touch with what was going on at Easter Road as we were a pretty grim team back then. However, I was surprised how quickly I got used to not having Hibs in my life. At first I would always make the effort to track down the score on a Saturday afternoon but gradually I started to drift into other things and often I'd only spot the score if I happened to buy a Sunday or Monday paper. It was only by coming back to Edinburgh that I picked up the bug again. If I hadn't I think it's possible I might never have rekindled the flame.

These days it's a bit different with the internet/Sky etc but the principle remains the same. If Hibs just aren't doing it for you any more you CAN say goodbye. Maybe not quite lose your feeling for the club entirely, but you can learn not to care so much. It's a valuable lesson to learn, especially when you get older like me and are meant to have more important things to worry about!

jdships
24-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Believe me, it is possible to just walk away. Circumstances took me a long way from Edinburgh for a couple of years back in the 80s when Bertie Auld was boss which, granted, made it easier to stop keeping in touch with what was going on at Easter Road as we were a pretty grim team back then. However, I was surprised how quickly I got used to not having Hibs in my life. At first I would always make the effort to track down the score on a Saturday afternoon but gradually I started to drift into other things and often I'd only spot the score if I happened to buy a Sunday or Monday paper. It was only by coming back to Edinburgh that I picked up the bug again. If I hadn't I think it's possible I might never have rekindled the flame.

These days it's a bit different with the internet/Sky etc but the principle remains the same. If Hibs just aren't doing it for you any more you CAN say goodbye. Maybe not quite lose your feeling for the club entirely, but you can learn not to care so much. It's a valuable lesson to learn, especially when you get older like me and are meant to have more important things to worry about!

Excellent post !:thumbsup:
Mirrors my take on things.
I'm not sure what I am now ?
Am I disilusioned ,fed up looking for the end of the rainbow or just p....d off.?
I know I will always look for the score/ follow the fortunes but as I said in another thread my days at ER ( except for one visit to the new "EAST" ) are over .

:boo hoo:

Ed De Gramo
24-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Couldn't ever dream of deserting Hibs...

gotta take the ***** time with the good times

HibbyRod
24-03-2010, 10:44 PM
To the original post.....Ehrr, NO!!!! :bitchy:
Ehrrrr! :greengrin

Vince White
25-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Couldn't ever dream of deserting Hibs...

gotta take the ***** time with the good times

I think for many that's too simplistic a take on things. The main problem is that for a club of Hibs' potential there have for far too long been more ***** times than there should be and these are not balanced out by the all too rare good times.