PDA

View Full Version : ryder cup

Cod Boy
17-09-2008, 03:41 PM
whats peoples thoughts on who will win the ryder cup

Sylar
17-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Despite his "strange" picks, I think we'll beat the US on their turf.

I've no problems with Poulter or Casey being in the team - I'd have preferred they made it on merit though and the likes of Soren Hansen and Oliver Wilson were watching from British soil. I feel that Faldo (in typical Faldo-esque fashion) has put his own ego before the good of the team in his selection. How he can justify omitting Darren Clarke after his 2 wins this season and his unrivalled match-play record with Lee Westwood is beyond me!

Granted they're on home soil and have a recent humping to overcome, but they're without their talisman (thus placing a lot of pressure on the likes of Mickelson and Furyk to step up to the plate), have a LOT of rookies in their lineup who've never played before (Holmes, Kim, Weekley, Stricker, Perry) and the American media are definately underplaying the importance of the clash.

Missing Tiger might work in the Americans' favour mind you, as it will be more of a team focus than a series of individuals, but it remains to be seen how they'll cope without the unrivalled world number 1.

Roll on Friday!!!! :thumbsup:

Golden Bear
17-09-2008, 05:43 PM
On paper, I think that Europe has the stronger team this year and i'd rate them as favourites. But there again, what do I know - I backed the Yanks to win the last two Ryder Cups and look what happened!.

I'm not a Faldo fan and think he should have spent more time in Europe getting to know the players rather than commentating for an American golf channel!

Having said that I do think he made the correct "picks". Darren Clarke may well have hit a belated run of form but his nerve is not as good as it once and his putting is definitely on the suspect side.

I can't wait till 1pm tomorrow - even took the afternoon of work to watch it.

C'mon u Europe!!

:greengrin

Golden Bear
17-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh aye - my previous post - tomorrow is just Thursday ain't it.! I'm getting carried away already. :doh:

It's just a pity there's no Scots in the team this time around!

Sylar
17-09-2008, 06:03 PM
On paper, I think that Europe has the stronger team this year and i'd rate them as favourites. But there again, what do I know - I backed the Yanks to win the last two Ryder Cups and look what happened!.

I'm not a Faldo fan and think he should have spent more time in Europe getting to know the players rather than commentating for an American golf channel!

Having said that I do think he made the correct "picks". Darren Clarke may well have hit a belated run of form but his nerve is not as good as it once and his putting is definitely on the suspect side.

I can't wait till 1pm tomorrow - even took the afternoon of work to watch it.

C'mon u Europe!!

Iain Poulter has had 1 runner up position this year, allbeit the Open. Clarke has had 2 victories (one at the start of the year), 3 runners up spots and 5 top 10 finishes this year, so I can't understand your point :confused:

Hank Schrader
17-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Its going to be a lot closer than recent years, I am tempted to stick some money on the draw although my gut feeling is a close European victory.

The Kentucky crowds are going to be rowdy too I reckon, I think the friendly demenour of the last few Ryder Cups could be out the window, expect lots more whooping and hollering from the Yanks than recently. Azinger will have them all up for it, he isn't a good loser either:wink:

Looks like Faldo is going to go with pairings from the same country, Garcia/Jiminez, Harrington/MacDowell, Stenson/Karlsson etc, unless his practice pairings today were meant to blow smoke up Azingers ass:greengrin

chorley_fm
17-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Whilst I'd love to see the Europeans win, I cant help but think the USA might just win it by a point or two

fergal7
18-09-2008, 08:59 AM
In a perverse sort of way I want the US to win.

I am getting a wee bit tired of Europe winning all the time and it is taking a bit of the gloss off the tournament IMO.

davym7062
18-09-2008, 09:09 AM
faldo will **** it up:agree: usa to win:brickwall

derekHFC
18-09-2008, 09:16 AM
For any Private Members, you can have a punt on the Ryder Cup in the vBookie Forum, should you wish to do so.

capitals_finest
18-09-2008, 09:36 AM

Either way i ll be a wee bit happy. It would be good to see Europe win it but for me it would be equally good to see Faldo **** it up.

Golden Bear
18-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Iain Poulter has had 1 runner up position this year, allbeit the Open. Clarke has had 2 victories (one at the start of the year), 3 runners up spots and 5 top 10 finishes this year, so I can't understand your point :confused:

My point is that Darren Clarke is not the golfer he used to be and both Ian Poulter and Paul Casey merit their inclusion in the team.

In the World rankings Poulter is ranked 29 while Clarke is 59

In the Ryder Cup World points list Poulter is eighth while Clarke is 17th

In the European Ryder Cup Rankings Poulter was 12th while Clarke was 17th.

There's no doubting Clarke's PAST Ryder Cup performances but I think Poulter is for now the hungrier golfer and capable of producing the fireworks when its really needed.

Clarke is golf's equivalent to Walter Smith as in the eyes of the Press he can do no wrong but the facts speak for themselves - the right guys were picked and we'll never know whether Clarke's presence would have strengthened or weakened the team.

Sylar
18-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I just wish one of them had made it into the squad on merit - i'm a tad nervous of Oliver Wilson, Nick Dougherty, Soren Hansen and Graeme McDowell being there - not exactly big-time Charlies in the grand scheme of things!

Roll on tomorrow!!!

forthhibby
18-09-2008, 01:42 PM

how embarressing was it watching faldo at press conference trying to say team list was who was wanting what for lunch. must have been a few cringing european players and officials looking on.

Hank Schrader
18-09-2008, 02:05 PM
how embarressing was it watching faldo at press conference trying to say team list was who was wanting what for lunch. must have been a few cringing european players and officials looking on.

:agree:

As if Faldo himself would be taking lunch orders rather than one of his flunkeys working behind the scenes.

On the whole though it shouldn't really matter if Faldos foursome/fourball pairing plans are out in the open, its not as if Azinger will know exactly who to play against particular pairings and in exactly what order Faldo will name his pairings. So no real harm done anyway.

forthhibby
18-09-2008, 03:32 PM
only damage is that faldo looked more of a fud than ever

Hank Schrader
18-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Houchy
18-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Didn't sound as bad as what he did tonight. I was cringing big time at his opening speach:

: Introducing... Soren Stenson, nope wrong one, sorry, Soren Hanson

: Graham Macdowell "(quietly) graham, where are you from? Northern or Republic of Ireland?"

Good god someone shoot this twat.

"I'd like to welcome all supporters to Valdera... sorry, Vallhalla"

They just keep rolling.

And to think I've entrusted this gimp with £100 of my money by backing a European victory.

Also, not Faldo's fault but is that not the funiest version of "God save thon Bird that's in charge of Britain":agree:

Hank Schrader
18-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Didn't sound as bad as what he did tonight. I was cringing big time at his opening speach:

: Introducing... Soren Stenson, nope wrong one, sorry, Soren Hanson

: Graham Macdowell "(quietly) graham, where are you from? Northern or Republic of Ireland?"

Good god someone shoot this twat.

"I'd like to welcome all supporters to Valdera... sorry, Vallhalla"

They just keep rolling.

And to think I've entrusted this gimp with £100 of my money by backing a European victory.

Also, not Faldo's fault but is that not the funiest version of "God save thon Bird that's in charge of Britain":agree:

Was like watching David Brent or Alan Partridge give a speech

Hank Schrader
18-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Morning Foresomes;

Mickelsen/Kim v Harrington/Karlsson

Leonard/Mahan v Casey/Stenson

Cink/Campbell v Poulter/Rose

Furyk/Perry v Westwood/Garcia

Houchy
18-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Was like watching David Brent or Alan Partridge give a speech

You're absolutely right mate.:agree:

Sylar
18-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Morning Foresomes;

Mickelsen/Kim v Harrington/Karlsson

Leonard/Mahan v Casey/Stenson

Cink/Campbell v Poulter/Rose

Furyk/Perry v Westwood/Garcia

First tie is an absolute cracker - 2 of America's arguable "big expectations" against the 3-time major winner and the most recent winner on tour. I'd fancy America to come out strong in the opener - can we hold them off with 2 quality players?

Leonard and Mahan vs Casey and Stenson is a tie we SHOULD win with little drama, as is Cink/Campbell vs Poulter/Rose!

Westwood and Garcia in the closing morning foursome looks juicy as well.

Hopefully Europe come flying out the traps with 3/4 points!

derekHFC
19-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Morning Foresomes;

Mickelsen/Kim v Harrington/Karlsson - Halved

Leonard/Mahan v Casey/Stenson - Europe

Cink/Campbell v Poulter/Rose - America

Furyk/Perry v Westwood/Garcia - Europe

I do not rate Rose as a player and as far as i'm concerned Poulter should not be in the team. I would have had Clarke and Monty in there before Poulter due to experience and what they can bring to the table, not just on the course, but off it. I hope that he does well, but i can't see what he brings to the team.

H18sry
19-09-2008, 07:49 AM
A tie mean's the holders retain the trophy,[dont have a problem with that] so why do the captains not have an 18 hole matchplay the day before it starts and therefore eliminate the tie, the holders then need to play for a win and not be content with the draw, just an idea any thoughts:wink:

derekHFC
19-09-2008, 08:14 AM
A tie mean's the holders retain the trophy,[dont have a problem with that] so why do the captains not have an 18 hole matchplay the day before it starts and therefore eliminate the tie, the holders then need to play for a win and not be content with the draw, just an idea any thoughts:wink:

Thank goodness that wasn't suggested when Mark James was captain, he was hopeless :greengrin

Hank Schrader
19-09-2008, 11:54 AM
The last English Ryder Cup captain to win was Tony Jacklin back in 1987, although he did lead the team to a draw in 1989, retaining the cup.

Since then Europe have won it five times, captain in brackets;

1995 at Oak Hill (Bernard Gallacher)
1997 at Valderamma (Seve Ballesteros)
2002 at The Belfry (Sam Torrance)
2004 at Oakland Hills (Bernhard Langer)
2006 at The K Club (Ian Woosnam)

Also, since the change from GB & Ire to Europe in 1979 no team has won four in a row, Europe have a chance to make that record their own at Valderama, sorry I meant Valhalla, easy mistake to make eh Mr Faldo:greengrin

Golden Bear
20-09-2008, 07:56 AM
It was the USA team's day yesterday. Things were happening for them and the European team just couldn't buy a putt - coupled with the fact that several of our players just did not perform to expectations.

However today is another day - let's hope the situation can be reversed.

I wonder if the embarrassing small number of "Past Captains" who attended the opening ceremony was a reflection of Faldo's popularity amongs his peers?

Hank Schrader
20-09-2008, 10:44 AM
One of big the disappointments was Harrington, well up in both his matches only to be pegged back to all square in both. Not totally his fault as its a team game but he is our anchorman and I expect more of him. Also Rose and Poulter losing their Foursome after being 3up wasn't impressive although they did well in their afternoon fourball.

One very worrying note is the Europeans incapability of handling the back nine holes. In both sets of matches we have been looking good at the turn only to have the Yanks peg us back.

The Americans have found some great pairings, something they have struggled with in past tournaments.

Azinger looks to be a very impressive captain :agree:

Houchy
21-09-2008, 08:25 AM
It's tight and I'm still hopefull of a European victory, and I don't think it's totally inconceivable looking at the singles draw.

Hopefully Weekley (the Redneck) and Kim get well spanked as I can't stand either of them with all their ***** over the last 2 days.

I thought Poults was going to have a swing at Kim yesterday after Europe stuck in a nice shot at a par 3, only for Perry to follow it in with a shot to a foot. Cue Kim whooping up the crowd and shouting how do you like that. Poulter stood square on, with his arms by has side, palms forward, as if to say " Come on then, you want a piece of this".

With Poults game face on yesterday, I was scared of him.:greengrin

Hank Schrader
21-09-2008, 10:26 AM
It's tight and I'm still hopefull of a European victory, and I don't think it's totally inconceivable looking at the singles draw.

Hopefully Weekley (the Redneck) and Kim get well spanked as I can't stand either of them with all their ***** over the last 2 days.

I thought Poults was going to have a swing at Kim yesterday after Europe stuck in a nice shot at a par 3, only for Perry to follow it in with a shot to a foot. Cue Kim whooping up the crowd and shouting how do you like that. Poulter stood square on, with his arms by has side, palms forward, as if to say " Come on then, you want a piece of this".

Poulter has fully vindicated his selection, 3 points out of 4.

I am not convinced some of the Yanks will do so well on their own in the singles, its going to be an interesting day.:wink:

Golden Bear
21-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Draw for Sunday's Ryder Cup singles (US players first):

1703 Anthony Kim v Sergio Garcia

1714 Hunter Mahan v Paul Casey

1725 Justin Leonard v Robert Karlsson

1736 Phil Mickelson v Justin Rose

1747 Kenny Perry v Henrik Stenson

1758 Boo Weekley v Oliver Wilson

1809 JB Holmes v Soren Hansen

1820 Jim Furyk v Miguel Angel Jimenez

1831 Stewart Cink v Graeme McDowell

1842 Steve Stricker v Ian Poulter

1853 Ben Curtis v Lee Westwood

1904 Chad Campbell v Padraig Harrington

I wouldn't say that there are any clear cut favourites following the above draw. So far the European team have been outputted rather that outgolfed. Maybe it will all change today - roll on 5pm as it should be a cracking night's viewing!

Houchy
21-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm just hoping for Kim to get a Macar sized spanking that will make him realise that he's not actually as good as he thinks he is.

He's believing in the hype too much that's being drummed up by the yank media likening him to Tiger and he already believes that he's NOT the next Tiger Woods, but that he IS Tiger Woods.

Houchy
21-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Kim's arguing about Sergio geting a drop. ****in hate that we prick.

Hanny
21-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Kim's arguing about Sergio geting a drop. ****in hate that we prick.

Me too.

Sadly he's going to win, Garcia's lashed two balls in the water, Kim's 3 up.

Can't see Europe winning this year :boo hoo:

Houchy
21-09-2008, 05:51 PM

I take it back. We're Fcked.

Hank Schrader
21-09-2008, 05:52 PM
I take it back. We're Fcked.

Its going tits up sadly:boo hoo:

Barney McGrew
21-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Its going tits up sadly:boo hoo:

Worse than that :grr:

The US team are playing some unbelievable stuff

Houchy
21-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Just when it looked like we were clawing ourselves back into it, it turns back to the Americans favour. We really need Casey, Harrington and Jiminez to turn their matches around to give us a squeak but I'm not holding out much hope.

IWasThere2016
21-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I wish I had a link for the golf :wink: Cannae find it anywhere!

alex plode
21-09-2008, 08:55 PM
whats peoples thoughts on who will win the ryder cup

I think the USA will win the Ryder Cup:boo hoo:

Hibbie_Cameron
21-09-2008, 08:59 PM
I think the USA will win the Ryder Cup:boo hoo:

Looks like it. Would like to meet Weekley with a driver in my hand:wink:

Houchy
21-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Looks like it. Would like to meet Weekley with a driver in my hand:wink:

Him and Kim. The 2 of them. They can have the driver and i'd still have a good go.