PDA

View Full Version : Scotland: Your view

Mag7
11-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Lots of the usual pro and anti Scotland posts surfacing on international week. What's your attitude to the national team?

Craig_in_Prague
11-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Hibs come 1st every time?

Why do we continue to compare national team with our club?

they never play at the same time, and both should be something we're passionate about, but understandably in slightly different ways.

I just don't get it.

Who were Hibs playing last night, that we had to make a choice?

:brickwall

support our country FFS, i thought us Scots were quite a patriotic bunch, we don't need to wear see u jimmy hats and wear kilts, or even attend games, but surely a bit passion and support whilst watching even in a pub, should not even be something we need to contemplate or consider?

bingo70
11-09-2008, 10:12 AM
don't actually know the answer to that.

Couldn't say i love them as much as the hibs because i never go to any scotland games so wouldn't consider myself a real fan of Scotland however I do love watching it on the tele and when scotland get beat it hurts as much as when hibs get beat, i think thats because i know hibs have the chance to put it right the next week where as with Scotland one defeat can really **** up a qualifying campaign.

Not a dig at the OP but still can't understand why some feel the need to make the choice, don't know about anyone else but there's enough love in me for the both of them :greengrin

Woody1985
11-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I voted other.

I get a bigger sense of pride when watching Scotland so would say I probably prefer the national team to Hibs.

Although when it's international week I never read the papers and articles about Scotland but I always read about Hibs (and come on here everyday!).

meister
11-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Not had a vote in this one as it is a hibs poll but I have to admit that as soon as a Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic or any other teams player pulls on a scotland shirt, for 90 minutes they don't play for anyone else but Scotland so there's not really a comparison to be made between club and country.

Albanian Hibs
11-09-2008, 10:23 AM

they never play at the same time, and both should be something we're passionate about, but understandably in slightly different ways.

I just don't get it.

support our country FFS, i thought us Scots were quite a patriotic bunch, we don't need to wear see u jimmy hats and wear kilts, or even attend games, but surely a bit passion and support whilst watching even in a pub, should not even be something we need to contemplate or consider?

:top marks

Steve20
11-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't care if Scotland win or lose. Never have done and never will do. (unless I have a bet on it)

khib70
11-09-2008, 10:30 AM

I just don't get it.

:thumbsup:What he said

Expecting Rain
11-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Not in the least bit interested in supporting Scotland at football, watched some great Hibs players get few if any caps whilst others who either have Scottish grandparents [ some had never been to Scotland] get the call and i haven`t even mentioned the Old Firm.

basehibby
11-09-2008, 11:33 AM
It was Scotland that first got me in love with football realy - I think I remember watching the home internationals on the telly before I ever went to any Hibs games. The excitement was immense and the whole country must have ground to a halt in those days (mid-70's). The teams have never realy hit the heights of those days since but the passion has never left me. So I'd say I love Scotland almost as much as Hibs.

Mag7
11-09-2008, 12:16 PM

I just don't get it.

Don't think there needs to be a choice, what it means is that most fans are more fervent in their support for their club than they are for their national team. Not really that surprising surely given that Scotland play only a few times a year. Basically if somebody said do you prefer going to watch Hibs than Scotland, I'd say Hibs every time.

Craig_in_Prague
11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Don't think there needs to be a choice, what it means is that most fans are more fervent in their support for their club than they are for their national team. Not really that surprising surely given that Scotland play only a few times a year. Basically if somebody said do you prefer going to watch Hibs than Scotland, I'd say Hibs every time.

but there's no choice to make, no preference.
One is a club other your country.
If anything, you chose Hibs, we don't choose Scotland.
I do understand what you mean - just don't see the point in it.

I understand we alll love our club games, it's every week, we're passionate, but comparing supporting a club team to your national team is silly IMHO - they are different, and i see no point in rubbishing the national team or supporting the national team, just because you love Hibs and your club football.

I see no reason why we cannot support both wholeheartadly :confused:

Sandy
11-09-2008, 12:51 PM

I just don't get it.

What Craig said :agree: right what twats (if you are Scottish) have selected they like it when we get beat ? :grr:

Scotsman
11-09-2008, 01:00 PM

I understand we alll love our club games, it's every week, we're passionate, but comparing supporting a club team to your national team is silly IMHO - they are different, and i see no point in rubbishing the national team or supporting the national team, just because you love Hibs and your club football.

Totally agree Craig

I am equally passionate about both

Any Hibs player that plays for Scotland benefits the player and the club

Can`t understand how anyone wouldn`t support their national team - Hibby or not

Roll on Norway game in October

M8UDB
11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Hibs come first for me every time, I still support Scotland but just dont feel the same watching the Scots as i do watching hibs. Watched the cup final DVD the other week there and the hair on the back of my neck was standing up and i just dont get that wen i watch Scotland :dunno:

Steve20
11-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Can`t understand how anyone wouldn`t support their national team - Hibby or not

What don't you understand about it?

Dashing Bob S
11-09-2008, 01:16 PM
It seems we have had a lot of those threads over the last few seasons, and judging by the poll, around 2/3rds of Hibs fans feel passionate/partisan about the national side, and another third feel ambivalent, don't care or are even hostile to them.

Basically, I think a lot of the discussion and name-calling is pointless. It's a bit like love for a person - you either feel it or you don't. It's not something you can really castigate somebody for feeling or not feeling. Personally, I've never felt it for the Scottish football team at all. I'm not a self-hating Scot, I'm reasonably patriotic and pro-independence, voting SNP. Yet all I think of in terms of the Scottish side is the inhospitable tip that is Hampden, the narrow-minded weedgie cabal of the SFA, the pantomime dames of the Tartan Army, hoofball, the OF and the Daily Record. I've never had the essential love of the Scottish team that allowed me to override those irritations.

I totally accept that many people do have this great passionate love for the Scottish football team (and they are just that, they are NOT 'Scotland' and many confuse the two) and therefore the annoyances that I've mentioned are background irrelevances. What I object to is the assumption that because I'm Scottish and a football supporter, I should get worked up about the Scottish national football team. Footballwise, my passions lie solely with Hibs. Just the way I am.

Sandy
11-09-2008, 01:25 PM
It seems we have had a lot of those threads over the last few seasons, and judging by the poll, around 2/3rds of Hibs fans feel passionate/partisan about the national side, and another third feel ambivalent, don't care or are even hostile to them.

Basically, I think a lot of the discussion and name-calling is pointless. It's a bit like love for a person - you either feel it or you don't. It's not something you can really castigate somebody for feeling or not feeling. Personally, I've never felt it for the Scottish football team at all. I'm not a self-hating Scot, I'm reasonably patriotic and pro-independence, voting SNP. Yet all I think of in terms of the Scottish side is the inhospitable tip that is Hampden, the narrow-minded weedgie cabal of the SFA, the pantomime dames of the Tartan Army, hoofball, the OF and the Daily Record. I've never had the essential love of the Scottish team that allowed me to override those irritations.

I totally accept that many people do have this great passionate love for the Scottish football team (and they are just that, they are NOT 'Scotland' and many confuse the two) and therefore the annoyances that I've mentioned are background irrelevances. What I object to is the assumption that because I'm Scottish and a football supporter, I should get worked up about the Scottish national football team. Footballwise, my passions lie solely with Hibs. Just the way I am.

I respect you point of view DBS, but what gets my goat is that a Scot would actually go as far as wanting his national team to lose, and then reveling in it. Ambivalence I can accept, dislike and a desire for the national team to lose I can't.

steakbake
11-09-2008, 04:41 PM
'kinell, plenty of Scottish cringe still found in amongst the Hibs fans.

They play for our country's name and no matter who is in the team, I'll always hope that they will put in a good performance and play for the colours.

There's plenty of club teams to follow, but there's only one national team, for better or worse.

Where's the option for loving the Scotland team more than Hibs?

Don Giovanni
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Really cannot understand why any Scot would want to see Scotland getting beaten at anything but even more bizarre when it is a sport that these individuals enjoy and would pay to watch :confused:

Anyway, as most of my mates are Jambos, Huns, or Smeltic fans I really enjoy being able to watch the Scotland games with them, cheering on the same side for a change. Visiting Hampdump with lads supporting the afore-mentioned teams as well as Falkirk, Dumfermline, Dons fans, all supporting the same cause is an entirely different experience and mentality than going to ER.

LamontHFC©
11-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Love Scotland and going to Scotland games! :thumbsup:

Gatecrasher
11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
keep an eye on their results but wouldnt miss international football if it wasnt there

hibiedude
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Love 'em just as much as Hibs :agree:

6 people voted; I actually dislike them and am pleased when they get beat

Clearly not scottish

Steve20
12-09-2008, 06:51 AM

Clearly not scottish

Again, Why not? I wasn't one of the 6 but you can be Scottish and not like the national team.

Just because you support the national football team, it does not make you anymore Scottish than someone who does not.

Sandy
12-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Again, Why not? I wasn't one of the 6 but you can be Scottish and not like the national team.

Just because you support the national football team, it does not make you anymore Scottish than someone who does not.

Aye but wanting the national team to lose, and then enjoying the experience ?, fuds who ever voted for that option.

hibiedude
12-09-2008, 07:25 AM

Steve anyone who is scottish and gets pleasure out of seeing scotland losing and enjoying the experience is sick

Sandy reply says it all me;

fuds who ever voted for that option.

marinello59
12-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Aye but wanting the national team to lose, and then enjoying the experience ?, fuds who ever voted for that option.

Maybe Aiden McGeady registered just to vote.:dunno:

Sandy
12-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Maybe Aiden McGeady registered just to vote.:dunno:

:thumbsup: Confirms the fud accusation then :wink:

Nando™
12-09-2008, 07:48 AM
I am a huge patriot and love the national team, I feel the same emotions watching them win and lose as I do when Hibs play.

I couldn't care what clubs our players play for when they pull on the blue of Scotland, there are players I don't like but for those 90 minutes I want them all to try hard and play well.

Of course Scotland don't play as often as Hibs, I wish that was different.

We'll be coming....

Mag7
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM

:agree:

ancient hibee
12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Used to love going to Hampden in the old days-140,000 against England -cars broken down all along the old A8-good crowds at the old Home Internationals-tumultous nights with Joe Jordan and Jim Holton. Have gone off it a bit since international football(and Hampden)became sanitised.Still hope they play well but not too downcast if they don't.Can't stand the press overreaction to whatever happens.

Russian Hibs Fan
12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Don`t you be boring to open such a polls every time Scotland playing? Why shoud people make a choice? Hibs will never play against Scotland or at the same time as Scotland.

Owain_1987
12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Hibs then Scotland love them both!!

Alicky Ranks
15-09-2008, 12:33 PM

Clearly not scottish

I'm Scottish and have never supported the national team. Not ashamed to admit that and don't regard myself as any less Scottish for saying so.

Wembley67
15-09-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm Scottish and have never supported the national team. Not ashamed to admit that and don't regard myself as any less Scottish for saying so.

Fair enough not supporting the national team, but you honestly hand on heart can say that you were not even the slightest bit chuffed when they won over in France?

Robinho08
15-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I voted for:

Like to see them do well but doesn't really bother me if they lose

I love Scotland and love being Scottish but I just don't get the same buzz from watching Scotland as I do Hibs.

Club over Country every time for me.

Alicky Ranks
15-09-2008, 12:57 PM

Precisely, which is why I think you defeat your argument there. Yes, I made a conscious choice to to support Hibs as a kid after seeing them beat Ayr United at Somerset Park on their way to the 1991 Skol Cup triumph. I grew up in Troon so no Edinburgh/family connection to the club. I loved the green shirts with white sleeves and was aware that the club had almost gone out of business the previous year so they held a certain romance I guess. I also follow QPR with an almost equal passion as a result of my family moving to London a couple of years later. As I say, I chose to support these teams. However, in my opinion, when you support a club side fervently you automatically build up a resentment for their rivals. I despise Hearts and the Old Firm, and if I'm being honest, I pretty much hate every other club Hibs play against! By the same token there are a lot of English clubs I cannae stand. So when it comes to international football I have NEVER understood how I can simply switch off my revulsion at the sight of, say, Paul Hartley or Craig Gordon, for 90 minutes and support them just because they're wearing a Scotland shirt. Once a jambo b****** always a jambo b****** as far as I can see. I simply don't buy the 'once they pull on that dark blue shirt...' guff. I can't stand most of the Scotland team (or indeed its management team of Burley, Pressley and Butcher. How the hell is that t*t Elvis qualified to be part of an international management set-up??) so don't see why I should support them (although I am happy enough to see individual Hibs players rewarded by international recognition). I have no problem supporting Scottish sportsmen in other sports (recent examples being the Olympics and the US Open tennis) because they don't come with the club baggage of football players. You can simply support them as Scots. As somebody pointed out earlier on this thread (just checked at it was Dashing Bob) the Scotland football team should not be confused with Scotland the country. It is largely a collection players I have never chosen to support. Sorry if this puts people's backs up, but I'm just telling it like I see it, not trying to put anyone else off supporting Scotland if that's what they choose to do :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Its never going to happen, but, I'd rather see Scotland win The World Cup than Hibs win The Scottish! :tin hat:

Mag7
15-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Precisely, which is why I think you defeat your argument there. Yes, I made a conscious choice to to support Hibs as a kid after seeing them beat Ayr United at Somerset Park on their way to the 1991 Skol Cup triumph. I grew up in Troon so no Edinburgh/family connection to the club. I loved the green shirts with white sleeves and was aware that the club had almost gone out of business the previous year so they held a certain romance I guess. I also follow QPR with an almost equal passion as a result of my family moving to London a couple of years later. As I say, I chose to support these teams. However, in my opinion, when you support a club side fervently you automatically build up a resentment for their rivals. I despise Hearts and the Old Firm, and if I'm being honest, I pretty much hate every other club Hibs play against! By the same token there are a lot of English clubs I cannae stand. So when it comes to international football I have NEVER understood how I can simply switch off my revulsion at the sight of, say, Paul Hartley or Craig Gordon, for 90 minutes and support them just because they're wearing a Scotland shirt. Once a jambo b****** always a jambo b****** as far as I can see. I simply don't buy the 'once they pull on that dark blue shirt...' guff. I can't stand most of the Scotland team (or indeed its management team of Burley, Pressley and Butcher. How the hell is that t*t Elvis qualified to be part of an international management set-up??) so don't see why I should support them (although I am happy enough to see individual Hibs players rewarded by international recognition). I have no problem supporting Scottish sportsmen in other sports (recent examples being the Olympics and the US Open tennis) because they don't come with the club baggage of football players. You can simply support them as Scots. As somebody pointed out earlier on this thread (just checked at it was Dashing Bob) the Scotland football team should not be confused with Scotland the country. It is largely a collection players I have never chosen to support. Sorry if this puts people's backs up, but I'm just telling it like I see it, not trying to put anyone else off supporting Scotland if that's what they choose to do :wink:

I'm not going to argue with that. Fair dos.

Alicky Ranks
15-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Its never going to happen, but, I'd rather see Scotland win The World Cup than Hibs win The Scottish! :tin hat:

I'd rather see Hibs win at Hamilton on Saturday than see Scotland win the World Cup.

cheltenhamhibee
15-09-2008, 10:45 PM
i support them, but Hibs first and foremost

Alex B
16-09-2008, 12:08 PM
I'd rather see Hibs win at Hamilton on Saturday than see Scotland win the World Cup.

Given our away record of late I'm not sure which is the more likely :wink:

hibiedude
16-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Both are the same odds :greengrin

Alicky Ranks
09-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I have, however, been known to have the odd flutter on Scotland games and 11/5 the draw looks quite tempting for Saturday.

GlesgaeHibby
09-10-2008, 01:47 PM
The buzz around the world cup is bigger than anything club football generates. Even women quite like the world cup (women that normally hate football). It's like no other sporting event, and I've been gutted we haven't been since 1998. The moment when Collins scored against Brazil was magical, as was beating France in Paris. Great feeling that night with the whole country celebrating together.

Craig_in_Prague
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
The buzz around the world cup is bigger than anything club football generates. Even women quite like the world cup (women that normally hate football). It's like no other sporting event, and I've been gutted we haven't been since 1998. The moment when Collins scored against Brazil was magical, as was beating France in Paris. Great feeling that night with the whole country celebrating together.

Totally agree,
and that's why it kinda pisses me off, when folks start saying they only care about Hibs and don't bother with scotland, for whatever reason.....

they are 2 different things, There should never be Club v Country nonsense - but Club AND country, it's a no brainer IMHO.......
& with Scotland, celebrating with fellow Scots, is a great feeling and seeing your country playing on the biggest stage football has to offer, is absolutely wonderful & I'm always gutted when we're not involved.

Steve20
09-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Totally agree,
and that's why it kinda pisses me off, when folks start saying they only care about Hibs and don't bother with scotland, for whatever reason.....

Why does it piss you off? Are the people who dont care about the national team, like myself, not allowed to have an opinion?

Alicky Ranks
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM

I never saw the game against Brazil and the win in Paris fair spoiled my coupon that night so make that the whole country minus me.

Mag7
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I never saw the game against Brazil and the win in Paris fair spoiled my coupon that night so make that the whole country minus me.

And me. I was in the States and never knew Scotland had won that game until I got home a week later.

GlesgaeHibby
09-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Serves you right for betting against your country. That win would have more than made up for any money loss spent on france winning:bye:

Antifa Hibs
09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Totally agree,

they are 2 different things, There should never be Club v Country nonsense - but Club AND country, it's a no brainer IMHO.......
& with Scotland, celebrating with fellow Scots, is a great feeling and seeing your country playing on the biggest stage football has to offer, is absolutely wonderful & I'm always gutted when we're not involved.

It's a no brainer for you but it's a defo brainer for me. I personally can't see how a Hibby could support players such as Miller, Broadfoot, Thomson etc after what they done to us last Sunday.

Each to their own I suppose

John Carew Carew
He's Bigger Than Me or You
He's Gonna Score More Than Two
John Carew Carew

:greengrin

fife hfc
09-10-2008, 06:17 PM
definately love Scotland and just as much as Hibs. Going on holiday this weekend for two weeks and though I'll miss the game I'll phone home to get the score. The same of course goes for the our game against the Yams.

So all I want to say is good luck Scotland and the boys against the Hearts. I may be miles away but will be thinking of you (in between theme park rides:greengrin).

Bishop Hibee
09-10-2008, 07:33 PM
I voted support them 100% but Hibs come first everytime.

I'm a member of the Scotland Supporters Club, I go to pretty much all home games and have been to a few aways over the years. My first game was v England in 1981 before the phrase "tartan army" was coined. I've seen some fantastic players for Scotland and our various opponents and some fantastic games. The quality is usually far higher than watching Hibs v whoever.

When it comes down to it though, Hibs come first. Thankfully we don't play at the same time as Scotland but I'd always be at the Hibs game or neither if we did.

Would also far rather see Hibs win the Scottish Cup than Scotland win anything.

mim
09-10-2008, 07:45 PM
My first game was v England in 1981 before the phrase "tartan army" was coined.
I can assure you that 'The Tartan Army' predates 1981 by several years.
The first time I saw it in print was in the 1974 World Cup Finals in what was then West Germany.

It may well have been the Germans that actually coined the phrase - they're into that kind of thing. :wink:

GlesgaeHibby
09-10-2008, 07:49 PM
It's a no brainer for you but it's a defo brainer for me. I personally can't see how a Hibby could support players such as Miller, Broadfoot, Thomson etc after what they done to us last Sunday.

Each to their own I suppose

John Carew Carew
He's Bigger Than Me or You
He's Gonna Score More Than Two
John Carew Carew

:greengrin

That'd be their job then?

James Connolly
09-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I was at the World Cup in '98 and the memories will live with me forever.

Couldn't get a ticket for the opening game against Brazil, due to all the fat cats in attendance; but was at Bordeaux for the Norway game and St Etienne for the Morocco game (Weir sold the jerseys!).

The Norway game in particular was an amazing atmosphere, partying with the Norway fans before, during and after the match...top drawer!

Although I no longer attend the Scotland games; when they play, I'm still as passionate, even though Burley hardly gets the juices flowing.

So, C'mon Scotland on Saturday!

Argyll Gargoyle
09-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Silly comparison to make. It's like asking, What do you prefer The Simpsons or an Indian meal?, they'll never compete against each other so you can love both.

MMMmmmm Indian food :drool:

The cooler king
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Only interested when the distribution and selection of squad reflects the actual abilities of the players and not because they play for the weegie ****ers or are from teams in the lower regions of the championship......

Graham Alexander...?.......wisnae good enough when he was 25, never mind 35......****in crap!!!

Woody1985
10-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I know a guy who has an auntie married to an Italian (owner of a few decent resteraunts in Edinburgh btw) who supports Italy when they play Scotland and would rather see Italy win something than Scotland.

He has no other reason to support Italy other than his auntie married one.

He used to really pss me off about it and try and wind me up but I ken he's just a flange (He supported Man U after they won the treble and then changed to Arsenal when they won the league the next time after 99)!

Mag7
31-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I can assure you that 'The Tartan Army' predates 1981 by several years.
The first time I saw it in print was in the 1974 World Cup Finals in what was then West Germany.

It may well have been the Germans that actually coined the phrase - they're into that kind of thing. :wink:

I certainly remember it being in common use in the 70s, in particular in the build-up to Argentina.

dakid
31-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Used to cars so much, but since the people in charge have no intention in changing things for the future of the game, I have become exhausted, bitter and detached.

Hibs On Tour
31-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Would always support any of the home nations against whoever they were playing. **** all this small-minded ******. Makes me giggle mostly, sometimes makes me mad. :greengrin

Greentinted
31-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I went with 'other'
I am becoming increasingly apathetic towards the national team. The decline in the quality on offer has been in direct proportion to my ageing process. Not too long ago Scotland could boast some genuine World (or at least European) class footballer, guys with English League Championship medals, European Cup winners and others who were comfortable plying their trade on continental shores.
Now we have guys who plod and hoof with the the likes of Burnley, Cardiff and the highly over rated present day Old Firm.
However, I still get caught up in the fervour surrounding the matches and that wee pang of agony still pervades (far too often these days) when the Scottish National Team loses so much as a goal.
I have just noticed as I type this that there was a time when I would refer to the boys in blue as "we" yet now its "them". I suppose that says it all really.

Mag7
11-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm bored. Is it time to wind up the Tartan brigade, or are we all bored of this poll?

zlatan
11-08-2009, 03:14 PM
meh

jabis
11-08-2009, 03:47 PM
jeezo !
just voted,read the thread and now now realise it's a year old :grr:

for the record,I'd don the kilt and support the Scottish Tidlywink team

iwasthere1972
11-08-2009, 03:58 PM
jeezo !
just voted,read the thread and now now realise it's a year old :grr:

for the record,I'd don the kilt and support the Scottish Tidlywink team

I was just getting ready to vote until I discovered the thread is coming up for it's first birthday.

Hibs will always come first but I am 100% behind Scotland (why wouldn't any Scottish person be :confused:). I love every minute of it, from the trip through to Hampden, few beers, singing Flower of Scotland and Bonnie Bonnie Banks and celebrating each and every goal.

Despite the heavy drinking, showing your bum and peeing in fountains (not me) the Scottish fans are IMHO amongst the most passionate and loyal fans in the world. What other nations of similar population as us take thousands to away games and sometimes even outnumber the locals?

C'mon Scotland - 24 hours to go. :thumbsup:

jabis
11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I was just getting ready to vote until I discovered the thread is coming up for it's first birthday.

Hibs will always come first but I am 100% behind Scotland (why wouldn't any Scottish person be :confused:). I love every minute of it, from the trip through to Hampden, few beers, singing Flower of Scotland and Bonnie Bonnie Banks and celebrating each and every goal.

Despite the heavy drinking, showing your bum and peeing in fountains (not me) the Scottish fans are IMHO amongst the most passionate and loyal fans in the world. What other nations of similar population as us take thousands to away games and sometimes even outnumber the locals?

C'mon Scotland - 24 hours to go. :thumbsup:

:top marks Totally

500miles
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Fletcher, Murray, Brown, O'Connor, Caldwell and Riordan have all represented Scotland while Hibs players at full international level. I look forward to seeing.....

.....................Gordon(let's be honest, it wasn't gonnae be McNeil)
Whittaker..Caldwell.Broadfoot..Murray
...............Thomson.Stewart
......................Brown
.......Riordan....................Fletcher
.....................O'Connor

Let's be honest, Scotland should release a 3rd strip - green, with white sleeves and shorts.

deek68
11-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Just "testing the water" here but does anybody have difficulty supporting the Scottish National Football Team when one (or two) of our clubs have a certain "British" allegiance?

woody47
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Can't believe there are actually some fans glad to see Scotland getting beaten unless they support another nation. :bitchy:
If Hibs fans could only get behind their team as much as Scotland fans do ER would be rocking :agree:

Sylar
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
The USA will always be my first national side, but I love the atmosphere of watching Scotland and support them just as passionately (as I've lived here under Scottish parents for the best part of 20 years!).

I get both extremes, as the Scottish national side are usually underwhelming, whereas it often gets boring watching the US, as we never face any side during our qualification who pose a real threat (Mexico every now and then, but nobody else comes close).

hibs1875aye
11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
What a pointless poll. Why compare apples and pears?

Nobody will ever have to choose between Scotland and Hibs so why stoke up a fuss? Also why do so many Scottish people dislike the national team?

Anyway, I say come on the Scots! I love Scotland and seeing us win. I love Hibs and seeing Hibs win. Is there a need to pick between them?

heretoday
11-08-2009, 11:13 PM
It used to be absolutely great watching Scotland in the 60s and 70s. Law, Baxter, Johnstone.....

I think a bit of rot set in when they started picking blokes who were not actually Scottish.

iwasthere1972
11-08-2009, 11:16 PM
What a pointless poll. Why compare apples and pears?

Nobody will ever have to choose between Scotland and Hibs so why stoke up a fuss? Also why do so many Scottish people dislike the national team?

Anyway, I say come on the Scots! I love Scotland and seeing us win. I love Hibs and seeing Hibs win. Is there a need to pick between them?

I've gone for the apples myself as I'm no too keen on pears. :doh:

garyrobertson85
12-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Depends who's in the team. I find it hard to support certain players.

am the worst person to go to a scotland game with :agree:
find it hard to put the players clubs at the back of my mind.

Steve20
12-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Also why do so many Scottish people dislike the national team?

Not sure lots of people dislike the national team. There are just people, myself included, who don't care either way.

Alicky Ranks
12-08-2009, 07:51 AM

I've no problem admitting I don't support the national team for the above reasons. Cannae be ersed typing it out again!

Mikeystewart
12-08-2009, 07:55 AM
A used to find it hard supporting Gordon and Hartley when they where still at Hearts and playing for Scotland. Both of them at the time where stand outs for me along with Hutton Brown in the Scotland team that played in the last qualifiers which made it even harder. When Gary Cauldwell scored that goal against France though a wouldn't of cared if he'd s**t in ma wheatabix.

Mikeystewart
12-08-2009, 07:56 AM
But i also like for one day to toss away the old rivalries when it comes to the bigger stage of international football.

Mag7
12-08-2009, 08:03 AM

I think Bob sums it up pretty well here. For most of the non-Tartan brigade it's simply a case of indifference rather than outright hostility. Personally tho I have to switch the telly or radio off when I see or hear Burley getting interviewed. Cannae stand the prissy wee nyaff.

JimBHibees
12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Support both 100% but if given a choice which you dont have to do Hibs every time.

Dont get the anti Scottish attitude to be honest, pretty pathetic IMO.

Judas Iscariot
12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I genuinely don't care..

Maybe it's because in my lifetime the national team has been so pro to West Coast bias, the usual OF players continually pulling out of games then 3 days later being for Der Hun V Hamilton, forever sticking by aging gash players beacause they once were good on had played for the OF at some point, not giving younger guys from other clubs a chance and using folk who are entitled to play for the National side cos their Auntie's nextdoor neighbour best pal's babysitter ken's Jimmy who runs the chippy and he's Scottish..

Then the recent episode with Barry the ned and Broomie's finest MacGregor..

Along with Steven Naismith somehow being quoted after playing like 2 games for Der Hun in about a year when there's at least 5-6 strikers out there that have been playing regularly and injury free that have been overlooked..

Plus the fact the current manager is a jakey ex Yam manager and by his side there's a wookie ex yam captain and to toop it of a Englishman :dummytit:

I really don't care..

Oh, the team always plays HORRIBLE negative football :agree:

RIP
12-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Clearly not scottish

It merely reinforces that in order to ensure a poll is relevant, the thread starter needs to select the option to :-

"Make votes public: Displays all users who voted, and what choice they voted for."

Otherwise it opens the door to registed loonies, yam fuds and BNP psychos to skew the results :wink:

Seany HFC 7-0
12-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I voted for:

I love Scotland and love being Scottish but I just don't get the same buzz from watching Scotland as I do Hibs.

Club over Country every time for me.

Yeah same for me mate:agree:

magnificent_seven
12-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Like going to Scotland games, good day out with all your mates when you can put club rivalries to rest!

However,I wouldn't lose sleep if they lost and I don't go in in a cream puff when the get beat. Different story with Hibs!

RoYO!
12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
i think there must be some fishing for reactions here.

COME ON SCOTLAND! :thumbsup:

RoYO!
12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I genuinely don't care..

Maybe it's because in my lifetime the national team has been so pro to West Coast bias, the usual OF players continually pulling out of games then 3 days later being for Der Hun V Hamilton, forever sticking by aging gash players beacause they once were good on had played for the OF at some point, not giving younger guys from other clubs a chance and using folk who are entitled to play for the National side cos their Auntie's nextdoor neighbour best pal's babysitter ken's Jimmy who runs the chippy and he's Scottish..

Then the recent episode with Barry the ned and Broomie's finest MacGregor..

Along with Steven Naismith somehow being quoted after playing like 2 games for Der Hun in about a year when there's at least 5-6 strikers out there that have been playing regularly and injury free that have been overlooked..

Plus the fact the current manager is a jakey ex Yam manager and by his side there's a wookie ex yam captain and to toop it of a Englishman :dummytit:

I really don't care..

Oh, the team always plays HORRIBLE negative football :agree:

For me the fact we're aiming to be playing in the biggest footballing event in the world over shadows all that.

it makes me immensely proud to see hibs players play for scotland- fletchers recent goal was all the more celebrated because he was a hibs player. it makes it all the more special.

i can honestly say that im delighted that i dont share the views of many on this thread.

Dipped flake
12-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Can't vote on this being a yam fud:wink: but support my team and country 100%.

--------
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
For me the fact we're aiming to be playing in the biggest footballing event in the world over shadows all that.

it makes me immensely proud to see hibs players play for scotland- fletchers recent goal was all the more celebrated because he was a hibs player. it makes it all the more special.

i can honestly say that im delighted that i dont share the views of many on this thread.

My experience is that Hibs players who play for Scotland very quickly stop being Hibs players.

The Scotland team's a handy opportunity for the OF to tap players from other clubs - Miller was approached after being picked by Craig Brown, for example. Ritchie of Hearts was as well. Who did Craig Brown play for? Erm - Rangers? :cool2:

Naismith's probably in the squad because someone at Ibrox had a word with Smith-Must-Score - Rangers are strapped for cash, and Naismith in the Scotland team might just attract a buyer from the Championship.

Sorry, but I find it very hard to raise any enthusiasm at all for the Scotland team under present circumstances.

Judas Iscariot
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Don't be mistaken, i'm VERY proud to be Scottish and support all of our national sides and want them to do well.. :agree:

Be it at Football, U19's etc, Rugby, Cricket, Chess... You get the point :greengrin

As i stated in my previous posts regarding the full National Football team, i have too many hang ups about the whole situation, that's all :wink:

hibs1875aye
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I wonder how many anti/dont give a toss Scottish fans were like that when we played and beat England or when we beat France? I bet a whole lot of hypocrites are out there. I wonder how many folk are so small minded they care more if England LOSE than how well Scotland do. Sad really.

COME ON SCOTLAND :agree:

Sandy
12-08-2009, 11:11 AM
I would still like to get my hands on the 9 fuds that voted for the 'I actually dislike them and am pleased when they get beat' option. As I have stated I can handle ambivalence, but too want your own national team to get beaten and then enjoy the 'near' national resulting dissapointment is way beyond me.

Steve20
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I wonder how many anti/dont give a toss Scottish fans were like that when we played and beat England or when we beat France?

Me. I didn't give a toss when Scotland beat France or England.

hibs1875aye
12-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Me. I didn't give a toss when Scotland beat France or England.

Fair dues mate. There are plenty who did and who are hypocrites. As I say, I dont really care too much but then, I am openly delighted when Scotland win (that doesn't mean I am not equally delighted when England lose to shut up Jimmy Hill and all his pals) but at least I take it on the chin :greengrin when Scotland are ***** which, if I am honest, is lots of the time. :thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
12-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I wonder how many anti/dont give a toss Scottish fans were like that when we played and beat England or when we beat France? I bet a whole lot of hypocrites are out there. I wonder how many folk are so small minded they care more if England LOSE than how well Scotland do. Sad really.

COME ON SCOTLAND :agree:

I don't care about Motherwell, Falkirk, Killie etc but when they beat the Yams i love it..

Does that make me a hypocrite?

I would still like to get my hands on the 9 fuds that voted for the 'I actually dislike them and am pleased when they get beat' option. As I have stated I can handle ambivalence, but too want your own national team to get beaten and then enjoy the 'near' national resulting dissapointment is way beyond me.

Why? :confused:

So you can spank them into liking the National side :rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Support them 100%, Hibs 1st closely followed by Scotland.

I can understand why some may not follow the team, however can't understand anyone being negative about them. They are after all our national team.

Sandy
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Why? :confused:

So you can spank them into liking the National side :rolleyes:

No but to revel in a fellow Scots dissapointment is out of order imo. Oh and it certainly wouldn't be a 'spanking' they would get :devil:

Dashing Bob S
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
No but to revel in a fellow Scots dissapointment is out of order imo. Oh and it certainly wouldn't be a 'spanking' they would get :devil:

I don't particularly care one way or the other, but I think a lot of those who would actively want to see Scotland lose might be English or Irish etc and would therefore have no reason to support them.

--------
12-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Support them 100%, Hibs 1st closely followed by Scotland.

I can understand why some may not follow the team, however can't understand anyone being negative about them. They are after all our national team.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel...."

Sylar
12-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Thank **** I've got another team to fall back on!!!!

Hibs90
12-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Thank **** I've got another team to fall back on!!!!

:faf:

Your rage amuses me.

Sylar
12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
:faf:

Your rage amuses me.

Glad to be of assistance :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
12-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I tried to get into them today, but they are a boring, uninspired joke. The tactics against Norway seemed to be trying to contain Carew at all costs as if he's Kaka or Messi.

I'm going to paint the bathroom.

VegasHibby
12-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm a football fanatic first,Hibs fanatic 2nd, international 3rd.

As a football fanatic I think Scotland are one of The worst international sides I have seen. An absolute disgrace especially to the travelling thousand's who had to witness this embarrassing display.
Actually quite glad there out. Can't stand to watch this type of football against a very medicore Norwegian side........

Bring on The Hibees on Saturday :thumbsup:

CABBAGE & RIBS
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
The tartan army need to have a word with themselves, why do they go and watch this *****.

Watching hibs is bad enough but paying hundreds of pounds to follow this tripe is unbelievable.

erin go bragh
12-08-2009, 10:19 PM

I just don't get it.

:top marksexactly my feelings a stupid post:grr: