3. (2) Lee Westwood - England - 5 caps
4. (3) Henrik Stenson - Sweden - 1 cap
5. (5) Robert Karlsson - Sweden - 1 cap
6. (6) Miguel Angel Jimenez - Spain - 2 caps
7. (7) Graeme McDowell - Northern Ireland - 0 caps
8. (8) Justin Rose - England - 0 caps
9. (10) Soren Hansen - Denmark - 0 caps
10. (9) Oliver Wilson - England - 0 caps

Wild cards to be announced. Darren Clarke and Paul Casey would do me. :agree: Have a feeling Poulter will get one of them though.

the_ginger_hibee
31-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Cant believe Monty's not going to get picked :boo hoo: will seriously hamper my enjoyment of the Ryder Cup.

Clarke and Poulter will get the WC picks. Dont agree with it like but Poulters been a cert for a Wildcard, with his special 'relationship' with Faldo.

Ach well, mon the Europe :flag:

Hank Schrader
31-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Cant believe Monty's not going to get picked :boo hoo: will seriously hamper my enjoyment of the Ryder Cup.

Clarke and Poulter will get the WC picks. Dont agree with it like but Poulters been a cert for a Wildcard, with his special 'relationship' with Faldo.

Ach well, mon the Europe :flag:

Neither do I, he is a pretty good player Poulter and to have him in the team isn't such a bad thing but because he is pally with Faldo its not right that should be the reason he is picked, if he does indeed get the shout.

Hank Schrader
31-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Poulter and Casey.

Suppose its no surprise why they have been played in the States the last few weeks.:cool2:

the_ginger_hibee
31-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Casey and Poulter selected.

English Alliance some may say :wink:

Thought Clarke should have got the pick with Poulter/Casey making up the other pick, but what do I know.

Still theyre good golfers, looking foward to it kicking off! Even if it is a Monty-less Ryder Cup :wink:

Hank Schrader
31-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Casey and Poulter selected.

English Alliance some may say :wink:

Thought Clarke should have got the pick with Poulter/Casey making up the other pick, but what do I know.

Still theyre good golfers, looking foward to it kicking off! Even if it is a Monty-less Ryder Cup :wink:

Happy with the Casey pick, Poulter is too hot and cold just now, would rather have players in form and with Clarke winning last week I would have selected him rather than Poulter. Both Casey and Poulter missed the cut at the TPC in Boston this weekend.

The team is 1 rookie too heavy for me (McDowell, Hansen and Fisher have no caps), saying that though I think the Yanks could have as many as 7 rookies!!

Europeans will go into it as not so massive favourites.

The cooler king
31-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Poulter and Casey.

Suppose its no surprise why they have been played in the States the last few weeks.:cool2:

Disgrace.

Darren Clarke should have been a cert.
His partnership with Lee Westwood has been immense in recent cups.

Davy Mac
31-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Faldo is a serious control freak and he'll no want people like Monty, Clarke etc to rain on his parade.

Poults for me, Casey not so sure.

I think we could do with more wildcard picks in the future IMO.

Hank Schrader
31-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Disgrace.

Darren Clarke should have been a cert.
His partnership with Lee Westwood has been immense in recent cups.

Agree totally.:agree:

The cooler king
31-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I'D love it if padraig pulls out in protest.

What a sham and a right prick that faldo is.

Hank Schrader
31-08-2008, 07:47 PM
I'D love it if padraig pulls out in protest.

What a sham and a right prick that faldo is.

Was reading the BBC 606 forum, some seemed to suggest that Harrington and Westwood have a problem with Faldo.

Any idea why this might be? Does no one like Poulter? I know he come across arrogant tossbag....

the_ginger_hibee
31-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Was reading the BBC 606 forum, some seemed to suggest that Harrington and Westwood have a problem with Faldo.

Any idea why this might be? Does no one like Poulter? I know he come across arrogant tossbag....

I think he has the John Collins 'I'm better than you' syndrome, comes across that way anyway.

Dont know of any problems with Poulter, mayby people also think he only got a wildcard pick because of his closeness to Faldo. He did make some crazy comments about a year back did he not about him being better than anyone else or something :confused: or is my mind playing tricks :dunno:

Hank Schrader
31-08-2008, 08:07 PM
I think he has the John Collins 'I'm better than you' syndrome, comes across that way anyway.

Dont know of any problems with Poulter, mayby people also think he only got a wildcard pick because of his closeness to Faldo. He did make some crazy comments about a year back did he not about him being better than anyone else or something :confused: or is my mind playing tricks :dunno:

Poulter was quoted in Golf World magazine earlier this year that when he is on top form only he and Tiger Woods would be contenders. He of course said this was taken out of context but rumour had it that when Woods and Poulter were on the range at the same time all the other golfers would pack up and leave the two of them there, as a sort of GIRUY to Poulter. Never happened though, would have been funny as ****!

I suppose we will only know if Faldo has done the right thing when it all kicks off. As someone said, regardless of Montys form, if he and Clarke had been picked it would have put the sh*ters right up Azinger. I don't think Casey and Poulter will have the same effect.

the_ginger_hibee
31-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Poulter was quoted in Golf World magazine earlier this year that when he is on top form only he and Tiger Woods would be contenders. He of course said this was taken out of context but rumour had it that when Woods and Poulter were on the range together all the other golfers would pack up and leave the two of them there, as a sort of GIRUY to Poulter.

I suppose we will only know if Faldo has done the right thing when it all kicks off. As someone said, regardless of Montys form, if he and Clarke had been picked it would have put the sh*ters right up Azinger. I don't think Casey and Poulter will have the same effect.

Right, knew it was something similar, out of context or not still a bit suspect.

Agree totally with the second part, Faldo had to think, 'Am I picking the best players at this moment in time? Or am I picking the best players to play in the Ryder Cup?' the latter would have seen Clarke and Monty easily get the wildcard. But its not to be :boo hoo:

Hopefully it pays off

Hank Schrader
31-08-2008, 08:22 PM
Right, knew it was something similar, out of context or not still a bit suspect.

Agree totally with the second part, Faldo had to think, 'Am I picking the best players at this moment in time? Or am I picking the best players to play in the Ryder Cup?' the latter would have seen Clarke and Monty easily get the wildcard. But its not to be :boo hoo:

The team is still strong as it stands, with Harrington, Garcia, Westwood, Stenson, Karlsson and Jiminez we have six players who regularly contend in Majors. Justin Rose is a strong performer as well and although their selection is a bit controversial, Poulter and Casey are on their day among the best Europe has to offer. Not so sure about the rookies but MacDowell always impresses me.

As for the Yanks, its looks like Azinger may pick a couple of rookies amongst his FOUR wildcard picks. He already has four rookies in the eight that have qualified already. There is a lot to be said for experience in Ryder Cup matches and the Americans could go in woefully short of it. Not sure if Tiger Woods not being there is such a huge deal for them, out of the five Ryder Cups he has played he has only been in the winning team once and that was a controversial close call in 1999. The remainer of the US team is announced on Tuesday, that should give us a better idea of how the event might go.

Can't wait!!:thumbsup:

LustForLeith
31-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Didn't Poulter say that when he's on his game the only player whose better than his is Tiger Woods? I'm sure Woods actually addressed him as 'number 2' as a wind up! Even although he was 'misquoted' I'm sure I saw Poulter being interviewed on Sky Sports where he had to explain that quote and althoguh he said he was misquoted he implied that he actually thoguht he was the second best in the world!

A few weeks ago Hunter Mahan was quoted as saying he wasn't a fan of the Ryder Cup and that a lot of Americans felt the same, menitoning things like the meals they go for as being off putting. Poulter was one of the Europeans interviewd in response to this and he basically scorned this saying that if the Americans were'nt that intereted in it, then the Europeans would jsut have to beat them again! I always thoguth Poulter was going to be in the team after that quote.

The cooler king
31-08-2008, 09:01 PM
was contemplating signing up to sky for this but they can shove it.

BroxburnHibee
31-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Think Monty knew this was coming as I know he had arranged a press conference for tomorrow.

PC Stamp
31-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I always like to see Europe win the Ryder Cup but there's a large part of me hopes that arrogance personified Faldo becomes one of the few European captains in recent times to screw it up.

Hibbie_Cameron
31-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I always like to see Europe win the Ryder Cup but there's a large part of me hopes that arrogance personified Faldo becomes one of the few European captains in recent times to screw it up.

My dad is a huge golf fan and he said as soon as Faldo was made captain that he feared europe would lose. Alot of the players dont like Faldo and to me none of the picks today were a surprise. Bernard Gallagher was on SSN when it broke and he could not believe it

Dont get me wrong the team is still strong but the yanks must have had one huge boost this afternoon wth Monty and Clarke missing out, Azinger readily admits they feared both of them

LustForLeith
02-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Got a feeling America will win it this year:agree:

Hank Schrader
02-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Got a feeling America will win it this year:agree:

Azinger has announced 3 rookies amongst his wildcards, that 6 altogether. Lot of inexperience in their team.

Danderhall Hibs
05-09-2008, 08:24 AM
If Monty and Clarke are so valuable to the team why didn't they just qualify automatically?

Hank Schrader
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
If Monty and Clarke are so valuable to the team why didn't they just qualify automatically?

Monty has been off the boil for ages now so he didn't deserve a place anyway.

Clarke on the other hand had struggled to get back to his best after the death of his wife and had slipped well down the world rankings. He has however rediscovered his touch this year, a bit late to get himself into the automatic qualifying positions, but has won twice this season, most recently at the Dutch Open where he destroyed the field. That sort of form was deserving of a place ahead of Poulter and Casey who aren't quite on the top of their games just now.

All in my opinion of course:cool2:

gringojoe
05-09-2008, 03:37 PM

I wouldn't be that disappointed if Europe lose while Faldo is captain.