PDA

View Full Version : Club PR improves - chief scout responds to player recommendation!

Steve-O
28-08-2008, 10:28 PM
As seen on this thread - http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=127161 that probably nobody is taking any notice of now, Hibs Chief Scout personally responded to me re: a player I spotted here in New Zealand.

Pretty good I thought, and it was in less than 24 hours too!

Pity he didn't like the player though :grr: :greengrin

Thanks for your recent email. I took the time to review the footage you sent me but didn't really see anything within that to suggest that the player is anything exceptional. I also noticed by checking the player's history that he has in fact already played a couple of seasons in the English lower leagues but seemingly didn't do enough to progress or extend his stay there. Also, with the player's age in mind we probably won't look at taking this one any further.

I would like to thank you though for bringing him to our attention and by all means please feel free to send through any other recommendations from the Australian league to our attention, particularly younger players. However, bear in mind that with strict UK visa requirements we are generally restricted to players of British/European descent.

Hope you are enjoying life over there!

Kind Regards

David Fouque
Chief Scout
Hibernian FC

Hibbyradge
28-08-2008, 10:40 PM
As seen on this thread - http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=127161 that probably nobody is taking any notice of now, Hibs Chief Scout personally responded to me re: a player I spotted here in New Zealand.

Thanks for your recent email. I took the time to review the footage you sent me but didn't really see anything within that to suggest that the player is anything exceptional. I also noticed by checking the player's history that he has in fact already played a couple of seasons in the English lower leagues but seemingly didn't do enough to progress or extend his stay there. Also, with the player's age in mind we probably won't look at taking this one any further.

I would like to thank you though for bringing him to our attention and by all means please feel free to send through any other recommendations from the Australian league to our attention, particularly younger players. However, bear in mind that with strict UK visa requirements we are generally restricted to players of British/European descent.

Kind Regards

David Fouque
Chief Scout
Hibernian FC

That's a brilliant response, to be fair.

Well done you, for recommending.

Well done Hibs for taking you seriously.

:thumbsup:

blaikie
28-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Kind Regards

David Fouque
Chief Scout
Hibernian FC
Might get yourself a job out of this !! :wink::greengrin

Steve-O
28-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Might get yourself a job out of this !! :wink::greengrin

Might've if he'd said "We will get in contact with Wellington soon, I liked what I saw" :boo hoo:

blaikie
28-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Might've if he'd said "We will get in contact with Wellington soon, I liked what I saw" :boo hoo:
Least he wants you to keep him informed on any players down there that might make the grade at hibs :agree::greengrin You never know you might just find the next Chris Killen :thumbsup:

monktonharp
28-08-2008, 10:57 PM
decent,quick reply from the scout. club PR STILL CRAP!:yawn:

Bobby D
28-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Good man!

And good on the club taking it seiously to merit that response

Hopefully we'll see more international hibbies follow your lead! :thumbsup:

Steve-O
28-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Least he wants you to keep him informed on any players down there that might make the grade at hibs :agree::greengrin You never know you might just find the next Chris Killen :thumbsup:

I already have!! :greengrin We dinnae want him :boo hoo:

RickyS
28-08-2008, 11:13 PM

Kind Regards

David Fouque
Chief Scout
Hibernian FC

Excellent, so you are now Hibs New Zealand talent spotter!!!

matty_f
28-08-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm going to keep my eyes out for talent in the untapped resource that is The Fife.:agree::greengrin

Steve-O
28-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Some further info I have come by -

this guy was born in Germany and apparently has a German passport - i.e. no work permit issues.

He is now a regular in the NZ international squad and scored 2 vs Wales in some friendly fairly recently - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvpmS9ilsF4 - apologies for quality of clip!

Was voted NZ player of the year last year ahead of Killen and Ryan Nelsen.

Now I am worried this is a real missed opportunity!

Bobby D
28-08-2008, 11:36 PM

this guy was born in Germany and apparently has a German passport - i.e. no work permit issues.

He is now a regular in the NZ international squad and scored 2 vs Wales in some friendly fairly recently - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvpmS9ilsF4 - apologies for quality of clip!

To be fair though Killen never really put his case forward...!

Steve-O
28-08-2008, 11:37 PM
To be fair though Killen never really put his case forward...!

Yeah, it just sounds good over here because there is nobody else to compare to!! :greengrin

Steve-O
28-08-2008, 11:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Smeltz

19 goals in 2005/06 while at Wimbledon - not bad I would say? :dunno:

Hmmm, having looked at this, it seems the Wimbledon it speaks of is AFC Wimbledon, not MK Dons so actually these goals were scored in the conference!

But, we did sign Clayton Donaldson...

Iain G
29-08-2008, 01:02 AM

Personally think Smeltz, from what I have seen, is a very poor man's Chris Killen...maybe if you had suggested a decent player from the Phoenix, such as, umm, errr, that other guy who can kick a ball in the right direction... :wink::devil:

rainman
29-08-2008, 01:22 AM
Clips of Charlie Miller and Eugene dadi coming his way soon!! :greengrin

Did I hear Simon Lynch was playing for Airdrie the other night? He never really did it over here and his career seems to have taken a nose dive. i remember we were after him but Preston beat us to it.

Steve-O
29-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Clips of Charlie Miller and Eugene dadi coming his way soon!! :greengrin

Did I hear Simon Lynch was playing for Airdrie the other night? He never really did it over here and his career seems to have taken a nose dive. i remember we were after him but Preston beat us to it.

Who does Eugene play for?

Steve-O
29-08-2008, 02:58 AM
Personally think Smeltz, from what I have seen, is a very poor man's Chris Killen...maybe if you had suggested a decent player from the Phoenix, such as, umm, errr, that other guy who can kick a ball in the right direction... :wink::devil:

Their left-back Lockhead (or Lochhead?) was on trial at Middlesbrough a couple of weeks ago. Didn't get a deal in the end, but maybe he is worth a look as well as it's a problem position for us!

He's the one that puts the cross in for Smeltz's first goal v Melbourne.

rainman
29-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Who does Eugene play for?

Perth Glory. He scored at the weekend but I saw him in a couple of friendlies and he was absolutely hopeless.

Thought Glory's other 2 visa players looked decent but I'll still tip them to finish bottom.

Big90inOz
29-08-2008, 03:35 AM
Good to see the guy checked your "find" and took the time to give you an informed reply :thumbsup:

Then again ....................... he should be out there looking for talent not replying to emails from supporters :devil:

From what i've seen of the aussie league though.............. not many gems as far as I can see............... must admit the only time I see a game is through beer goggles at the pub :greengrin The defences always make the Hibs defence look great :devil:

Shrekko
29-08-2008, 07:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Smeltz

19 goals in 2005/06 while at Wimbledon - not bad I would say? :dunno:

Hmmm, having looked at this, it seems the Wimbledon it speaks of is AFC Wimbledon, not MK Dons so actually these goals were scored in the conference!

But, we did sign Clayton Donaldson...

AFC Wimbledon were playing a good couple of leagues below the Conference in 05/06.

ackeygraham
29-08-2008, 07:51 AM
and who needs champ man eh!

wazoo1875
29-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Well done Steveo for taking the time to recommend the player and well done the scout for emailing you back so swiftly . Nice to see it wasn't just a standard reply and had a little personal touch to it . Keep searching you never know there may be a couple of gems :thumbsup:

:hnet: Scouting all over the world !

3pm
29-08-2008, 11:58 AM
They still should have listened to me about Pat McCourt. :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :greengrin :greengrin :greengrin

sahib
29-08-2008, 01:13 PM
They still should have listened to me about Pat McCourt. :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :greengrin :greengrin :greengrin

Who her?

Iain G
01-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Their left-back Lockhead (or Lochhead?) was on trial at Middlesbrough a couple of weeks ago. Didn't get a deal in the end, but maybe he is worth a look as well as it's a problem position for us!

He's the one that puts the cross in for Smeltz's first goal v Melbourne.

Lockhead was the guy I spent most of the first game of the season shouting at, he seems ok going forward but continually let his man in behind him when he got caught to far out of position, don't think he is any solution to our LB problem :wink:

Steve-O
18-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Smeltz has scored twice in the last 2 NZ international games and they are now only 2 matches away from qualifying for the world cup...

rainman
18-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Steve,

Any idea when Ther Glory visit Wellington? Was thinking about a possible weekend trip.

Iain G
18-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Dare I suggest a wee look at Glen Moss for the goalkeeping department may be more worthwhile :wink:

joejoefaemexico
18-09-2008, 07:50 AM

Kind Regards

David Fouque
Chief Scout
Hibernian FC

David Fouque, top banana!

sh00byd00
18-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Smeltz has scored twice in the last 2 NZ international games and they are now only 2 matches away from qualifying for the world cup...

I'm not sure if NZ still come under the Oceania federation or like Australia have moved federations, but if it's the former, then being only 2 games away isn't that great achievement considering the teams in said federation. Coupled with the fact they'll then face S American opposition, it's safe to say NZ will never ever qualify for the WC. This of course is all assuming Oceania still don't have an automatic qualifier for the WC.

Sudds_1
18-09-2008, 09:14 AM

easy enough to find that person...............

........just keep checking the casualty wards or physiotherapists patient list..........:devil:

Iain G
18-09-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure if NZ still come under the Oceania federation or like Australia have moved federations, but if it's the former, then being only 2 games away isn't that great achievement considering the teams in said federation. Coupled with the fact they'll then face S American opposition, it's safe to say NZ will never ever qualify for the WC. This of course is all assuming Oceania still don't have an automatic qualifier for the WC.

IIRC then the All Whites will face one of those from Asia, depending on their final group stages, and are actully 2 games away from qualifying...

"But, more importantly, they (NZ) also qualified for a home-and-away playoff against the fifth-placed Asian qualifier next year for a spot at the 2010 World Cup. They are now just 180 minutes from a second appearance at the world finals."

mim
18-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Kind Regards

David Fouque
Chief Scout
Hibernian FC

It's certainly a good idea for everyone to keep their eye out for young talent playing abroad, but let's make sure that that we really do our homework on them, for Fouque's sake. :wink:

Steve-O
18-09-2008, 11:23 AM

See Iain G's post, they could well qualify :agree:

bawheid
18-09-2008, 12:27 PM
It's certainly a good idea for everyone to keep their eye out for young talent playing abroad, but let's make sure that that we really do our homework on them, for Fouque's sake. :wink:

:thumbsup:

sh00byd00
18-09-2008, 02:36 PM
See Iain G's post, they could well qualify :agree:

I simply don't see NZ qualifying as most Asian teams are still considerably better than NZ. Had Australia not opted to join the Asian federation, i very much doubt we'd even be having this conversation.

Japan
S Korea
Iran
S Arabia
Australia
N Korea

Are all far stronger than NZ and the only team I'd see NZ beating over 2 legs is Uzbekistan and that's never going to happen as Uzbekistan are completely dire.

Mibbes Aye
18-09-2008, 04:51 PM

In this case, the chief scout didn't fancy the guy for Hibs and pretty much dismissed him out of hand. Essentially it was a Fouque write-off.

GREEN BRAZIL
18-09-2008, 06:47 PM

are you shane smeltz :hmmm:

Iain G
18-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I simply don't see NZ qualifying as most Asian teams are still considerably better than NZ. Had Australia not opted to join the Asian federation, i very much doubt we'd even be having this conversation.

Japan
S Korea
Iran
S Arabia
Australia
N Korea

Are all far stronger than NZ and the only team I'd see NZ beating over 2 legs is Uzbekistan and that's never going to happen as Uzbekistan are completely dire.

Nah the All Whites could hump the Aussies's as they are rubbish :wink:

Steve-O
18-09-2008, 10:27 PM
are you shane smeltz :hmmm:

Maybe :greengrin

PLEASE sign me Hibs, go on, you know you want to :agree::wink:

Steve-O
19-09-2008, 11:40 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4699163a1823.html

Wanted man :agree:

Iain G
20-09-2008, 01:01 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4699163a1823.html

Wanted man :agree:

He was the poorer of the two strikers last week, Covney had a mch better game :devil:

rainman
20-09-2008, 02:55 AM
He was the poorer of the two strikers last week, Covney had a mch better game :devil:

Gonna take a walk over to the gsme tonight I think. It'll be interesteing to compare the teams to the game last season.

Steve-O
21-09-2008, 01:17 AM

Coveny is pish though! Doesn't even look like a footballer!

The service that Smeltz gets at the moment really is total garbage, he'd score a lot more in a decent team.

Iain G
21-09-2008, 05:45 AM

The service that Smeltz gets at the moment really is total garbage, he'd score a lot more in a decent team.

Judging by reports of yesterday's game, think he would get the same garbage service at Easter Road :wink:

rainman
28-09-2008, 06:05 AM

Good game today Steve!

Good goal and did well for the second as well! :agree:

Steve-O
06-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Another 2 goals tonight for Meeester Smeltz!

Get him signed Hibs!!! :greengrin

Steve-O
29-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Another cracker of a winner vs top of the table Melbourne (feat. Grant Brebner) last night - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3u1JzJRC6E

Best game I have been to so far over here last night :agree:

Iain G
30-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Another cracker of a winner vs top of the table Melbourne (feat. Grant Brebner) last night - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3u1JzJRC6E

Was a fab game but Smeltz is still a lazy git!! Would rather have Bertos in the Hibs team :agree:

Not sure about Fred yet either...

Titch
30-11-2008, 10:19 PM

nice:agree::agree::agree:

Steve-O
01-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Was a fab game but Smeltz is still a lazy git!! Would rather have Bertos in the Hibs team :agree:

Bertos has come onto a game no doubt about it, still can't shoot to save himself though :greengrin

If Smeltz and Bertos were combined into one player, THEN you'd have a cracking player :agree:

rainman
01-12-2008, 07:09 AM

Bertos was called "the imposter" by the glory fans last year. in fact, a couple of the Glory players called him that as well.

He also plucks his eyebrows and shaves his legs.

What the **** is that about? :dunno:

Steve-O
01-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Bertos was called "the imposter" by the glory fans last year. in fact, a couple of the Glory players called him that as well.

He was a bit of a nightmare at the start of the season, but his return from injury has coincided with Wellington's good run, and he has done well since being moved up front rather than playing on the wing :agree:

As for the eyebrows and legs, I cannae answer that :greengrin

RMG_82
01-12-2008, 07:32 AM
I can second that! Bertos is Pi*h. The standard of the A-League is shocking
and if we start recruiting players from here it'l be a sad state of affairs. Fair enough an up and coming promising youngster but not a middle of the road player. Been to watch a few A-league games this year, only entertaining bit about it was watching the aussies birds in minimal clothing. The glory girls
are awesome.

There's a boy in the A-league who played for Bo-Ness united 3 years ago!

Steve-O
01-12-2008, 07:56 AM
and if we start recruiting players from here it'l be a sad state of affairs. Fair enough an up and coming promising youngster but not a middle of the road player. Been to watch a few A-league games this year, only entertaining bit about it was watching the aussies birds in minimal clothing. The glory girls
are awesome.

Despite beating the Phoenix, Perth are pish though. The game on Friday night was really good, better than the last couple of Hibs games I've managed to watch anyway!

Also, this poor record vs Perth will be addressed a week on Sat :agree:

Hibstrooper
01-12-2008, 08:56 AM
... if we start recruiting players from here it'l be a sad state of affairs. Fair enough an up and coming promising youngster but not a middle of the road player ...

Joe Keenan :rolleyes:

passionatehibby
01-12-2008, 09:13 AM

Well I shave me baws and veet me ring :greengrin

rainman
01-12-2008, 09:58 AM

Oh, you can't beat a freshly shorn scrotum. It's truly breathtaking. :agree:

Eyebrows and legs though?

Come on. :bitchy:

rainman
02-12-2008, 03:02 AM
are awesome.

If the standard of the A-League is that bad, what kind of standard is the State League?

http://www.westlothiancourier.co.uk/west-lothian-sport/west-lothian-football/local-football/2008/11/27/cup-hero-rory-is-the-knight-in-shining-armour-62405-22345654/

:wink:

RMG_82
02-12-2008, 05:27 AM
If the standard of the A-League is that bad, what kind of standard is the State League?

http://www.westlothiancourier.co.uk/west-lothian-sport/west-lothian-football/local-football/2008/11/27/cup-hero-rory-is-the-knight-in-shining-armour-62405-22345654/

:wink:

Joe Keenan :rolleyes:

Pish also. BUt glory seem to get beat every time they play friendlies against state league opposition.

Nothing wrong wi shaving your baws. Veeting your ring though is just wrong. There must be a reason for hair round your hoop. dont mess with nature.

Joe keenan is pish.

Steve-O
02-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Keenan was not even a regular with Melbourne, who the Phoenix just beat, so that tells it's own story I think?

Strange we would sign him but signing Smeltz, who is now top scorer in the league, was almost dismissed out of hand?

rainman
02-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Keenan was not even a regular with Melbourne, who the Phoenix just beat, so that tells it's own story I think?

Strange we would sign him but signing Smeltz, who is now top scorer in the league, was almost dismissed out of hand?

To be fair to keenan, he had a tough time with injuries last season, it's not like he wasn't picked each week.

And despite the rumours on here, he wasn't rejected from Melbourne, they were keen to keep him but didn't feel they could stand in his way to move to a club like Hibs.

Still, I wouldn't like to see us doing too much more shopping from this league. Charlie Miller was ripping the league up when he arrived. Of course, now that it's getting hotter, that ball of gravy will be finding it much harder to keep up.

RMG_82
02-12-2008, 06:36 AM

Not seen much of Smeltz apart from highlights of his recent goal. Hopefully get a chance too next time they're over to play Glory.

Agree with Rainman. This is not a market that hibs should be shopping from. Unless its plucking a young rough diamond and polishing him into a player. But obviously from what the scout said, visa requirements would cause problems.
Nikita Rukavytska ar Perth Glory is coming onto a game. Pace to burn but short of belief at times. Adding goals now. I can see him heading overseas within the next year. Hamburg had him over bit thought he wasnt strong enough.

Steve-O
02-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Not seen much of Smeltz apart from highlights of his recent goal. Hopefully get a chance too next time they're over to play Glory.

Agree with Rainman. This is not a market that hibs should be shopping from. Unless its plucking a young rough diamond and polishing him into a player. But obviously from what the scout said, visa requirements would cause problems.
Nikita Rukavytska ar Perth Glory is coming onto a game. Pace to burn but short of belief at times. Adding goals now. I can see him heading overseas within the next year. Hamburg had him over bit thought he wasnt strong enough.

Smeltz, I believe, has a German passport so that would not have been an issue.

The other guy you speak of caused problems against Phoenix, really fast :agree:

RMG_82
02-12-2008, 07:03 AM

Smeltz, I believe, has a German passport so that would not have been an issue.

The other guy you speak of caused problems against Phoenix, really fast :agree:

Well 20 goals in any league you play in usually gets you a move. So if he continues to score goals I'm sure clubs wil come knocking. Whats the state league level like in N.Zealand?

Steve-O
02-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Well 20 goals in any league you play in usually gets you a move. So if he continues to score goals I'm sure clubs wil come knocking. Whats the state league level like in N.Zealand?

Not really seen much of the state league so can't really answer that.

Well he has now scored 9, and that's with a team who were languishing near the bottom until winning their last 3 games. Apparently that's as many as he scored last season and there are still 8 games to go here.

Iain G
02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Not really seen much of the state league so can't really answer that.

Well he has now scored 9, and that's with a team who were languishing near the bottom until winning their last 3 games. Apparently that's as many as he scored last season and there are still 8 games to go here.

Steve-O, he is simply not a good enough player to play for Hibs, he is at his level and he is a lazy git with very little pace, we already have Deek, a much more talented player who could score the goals Smeltz does with both feet behind his back for the Phoenix...more worried we are losing Moss as Paston does not inspire me with any confidence!!!

chinny baxter
02-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Anybody know David Fouque's background.I see him every week at the reserves games at Livi.
Seems comparatively young for a chief scout and often wondered where he came from etc.

HH81
02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
:hyper::hyper: ha ha ha this player was at Halifax.

Very poor and not worth Hibs looking at to be honest. Seen him play quite a few times and didn't look up to conf level.

Upon asking the Halifax manager why we signed him his response was he did well in a friendly and he was all we could afford. No chance a Hibs player.

Iain G
02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Anybody know David Fouque's background.I see him every week at the reserves games at Livi.
Seems comparatively young for a chief scout and often wondered where he came from etc.

Fouque knows!!??!! :greengrin

Steve-O
20-05-2009, 07:30 AM

Kind Regards

David Fouque
Chief Scout
Hibernian FC

Just as an update on this matter....

Smeltz ended up winning the golden boot for being top scorer in the A-League AND player of the year in the A-League.

He has now signed for Gold Coast United (new A-League team) and was also on the verge of heading to a Turkish side for a 6 figure sum.

Additionally I have since found out that he has a UK passport and he is only 27 (we signed JJ after this response above FFS!!) so the "visa requirements" and "age" issues cited above have ended up being nonsense.

Disappointing really as he could've been a decent (and free) replacement for Fletcher's inevitable departure.

Andy74
20-05-2009, 08:32 AM

Smeltz ended up winning the golden boot for being top scorer in the A-League AND player of the year in the A-League.

He has now signed for Gold Coast United (new A-League team) and was also on the verge of heading to a Turkish side for a 6 figure sum.

Additionally I have since found out that he has a UK passport and he is only 27 (we signed JJ after this response above FFS!!) so the "visa requirements" and "age" issues cited above have ended up being nonsense.

Disappointing really as he could've been a decent (and free) replacement for Fletcher's inevitable departure.

:yawn:

Danderhall Hibs
20-05-2009, 08:45 AM

What's wrong? Steve's just pointing out the response was bull.

Steve-O
20-05-2009, 09:05 AM

What's wrong? Steve's just pointing out the response was bull.

Exactly, and meant to mention all of these things for a while.

If you're tired Andy, maybe get yourself back to yer bed.

And who was calling who names on this thread? Better no have been me eh!!! :grr::greengrin

Andy74
20-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Exactly, and meant to mention all of these things for a while.

If you're tired Andy, maybe get yourself back to yer bed.

And who was calling who names on this thread? Better no have been me eh!!! :grr::greengrin

Sorry, the yawn was uncalled for, but it's time to let go!

The Hibs scouts receive recommendations by the dozens on a daily basis so they need to make a judgement. I've heard nothing special that makes me think we've made a serious error in not snapping this guy up, player of the year in the A league or not.

Steve-O
20-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Sorry, the yawn was uncalled for, but it's time to let go!

The Hibs scouts receive recommendations by the dozens on a daily basis so they need to make a judgement. I've heard nothing special that makes me think we've made a serious error in not snapping this guy up, player of the year in the A league or not.

My point is that it was dismissed out of hand and the reasons were no valid.

Other than this thread, what have you heard?

I've watched Hibs for a long time, and I watched this guy for a full season, and I thought/think he could do a job.

Alas it is not be and as I say, was just pointing out that the reasons given by Hibs for not pursuing the matter were not valid.

Andy74
20-05-2009, 10:18 AM
My point is that it was dismissed out of hand and the reasons were no valid.

Other than this thread, what have you heard?

I've watched Hibs for a long time, and I watched this guy for a full season, and I thought/think he could do a job.

Alas it is not be and as I say, was just pointing out that the reasons given by Hibs for not pursuing the matter were not valid.

They were valid, they see reccomendations, videos, whatever, by the dozens every day and what he said was that he didn't see anythying in there that was excetional enough to pursue added to a history of already having been tried in the English lower leagues without success.

The guys need to make judgments like that due to the scale of players out there and being brought to our attention, sure they will get some wrong, some might just about have done a decent job for us in the end but nothing really suggests this will be a mistake of any proportion.

The risks of not pursuing something are really only that they go on to become a real star somwhere else and we've missed the opportunity. I think they have to live with that risk for the sake of not having 100 players here every week. So, it's a very valid response.

PC Stamp
20-05-2009, 10:20 AM

It's not really nonsense to be fair. Smeltz's visa/passport situation would have obviously come to light HAD there been any interest from Hibs in signing him. As there wasn't, Hibs would have done no investigation into it and therefore wouldn't have been aware of his UK passport. Instead they'd be assuming he's a pure bred Aussie at that stage.

As far as JJ is concerned, whilst he has yet to show it at ER, he's a proven Internationalist with 90 caps for his country and a track record at a very high level. As in he didn't fail to make it in the lower English Leagues. Just a wee smidge of a difference between the calibre of the players?

In the current climate, Hibs are trying to look in the main for younger "rough diamonds" but on the flip side, if a player of JJ's calibre is available at an acceptable cost then it's silly to turn their nose up.

Beefster
20-05-2009, 11:02 AM

You got a response, they treated you with manners and justified why they wouldn't be following up on your recommendations. I don't really see what's to grumble about.

BoltonHibee
20-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Anyone know how Hibs ended up with Keenan? That must have been some ****ing video:wink:

Andy74
20-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Anyone know how Hibs ended up with Keenan? That must have been some ****ing video:wink:

The Joe Keenan that arrived looked like a hard working midfielder who could tackle and could pass the ball well. I've no idea where he's gone but I think Mixu has knocked it all out of him.

TornadoHibby
20-05-2009, 11:33 AM
The Joe Keenan that arrived looked like a hard working midfielder who could tackle and could pass the ball well. I've no idea where he's gone but I think Mixu has knocked it all out of him.

Totally agree! :top marks

Some of the stuff posted on here about Keenan being a complete dud has been nothing short of scandalous IMO! :agree:

3pm
20-05-2009, 11:34 AM

He's not good enough IMO! :greengrin

Steve-O
21-05-2009, 06:39 AM
They were valid, they see reccomendations, videos, whatever, by the dozens every day and what he said was that he didn't see anythying in there that was excetional enough to pursue added to a history of already having been tried in the English lower leagues without success.

The guys need to make judgments like that due to the scale of players out there and being brought to our attention, sure they will get some wrong, some might just about have done a decent job for us in the end but nothing really suggests this will be a mistake of any proportion.

The risks of not pursuing something are really only that they go on to become a real star somwhere else and we've missed the opportunity. I think they have to live with that risk for the sake of not having 100 players here every week. So, it's a very valid response.

I disagree slightly - they made the judgement based on 2 videos showing the guy score 3 goals in 2 short clips and 2 of the reasons for not pursuing it were the potential visa difficulties and his age. Since there were no visa difficulties and I don't think he is at all old then I don't think those reasons were valid.

As for not having much success in the English lower leagues - fair enough but it's fair to say there has been some improvement since also.

I've no huge problem with the response (I was surprised to actually get one in the first place!), just crossed my mind while online that he'd gone on to have a great season since I started this thread and there was some new info to add.

Steve-O
21-05-2009, 06:44 AM
It's not really nonsense to be fair. Smeltz's visa/passport situation would have obviously come to light HAD there been any interest from Hibs in signing him. As there wasn't, Hibs would have done no investigation into it and therefore wouldn't have been aware of his UK passport. Instead they'd be assuming he's a pure bred Aussie at that stage.

As far as JJ is concerned, whilst he has yet to show it at ER, he's a proven Internationalist with 90 caps for his country and a track record at a very high level. As in he didn't fail to make it in the lower English Leagues. Just a wee smidge of a difference between the calibre of the players?

In the current climate, Hibs are trying to look in the main for younger "rough diamonds" but on the flip side, if a player of JJ's calibre is available at an acceptable cost then it's silly to turn their nose up.

Fair enough on JJ, but he's got 6 years on Smeltz as well. Just looked up the stats and Smeltz has 18 international appearances and has scored 11 goals - not a bad record to be honest?

From Wikipedia -

Smeltz has played for the under 20, 23 and full New Zealand national team.[2][3] In May 2007, he was the scorer of both New Zealand's goals in an impressive 2-2 draw against Wales.

He also became the first AFC Wimbledon player to win international honours, and the first to became an international goalscorer (on April 25, 2006), when he netted in an away friendly against Chile.

Following his impressive goal scoring form with the Phoenix in the A-League as well as consistent performances for the All Whites, Smeltz was voted New Zealand footballer of the year on 19 November 2007, ahead of English premier league star Ryan Nelsen and Celtic F.C. striker Chris Killen.[4]

After the Oceania Football Confederation had apparently taken away the Oceania Player of the year, Smeltz was also named the Oceania player of the year 2007, in December, 2008.

Shane Smeltz has currently 8 goals for New Zealand in the 2010 World Cup Qualifying Rounds

Anyway, the matter is done and dusted and I will now turn my attention to hating the judas bassa in time for next season!! :greengrin

BoltonHibee
21-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Apologies Andy, I must be thinking of a different Keenan. The one your talking about that arrived at Hibs must be a different one from the one I am thinking about!

Danderhall Hibs
21-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Apologies Andy, I must be thinking of a different Keenan. The one your talking about that arrived at Hibs must be a different one from the one I am thinking about!

I think he's talking about the Keenan I remember arriving - he looked quite good then he had a poor game against Rangers. After that Mixu binned him and we all wiped our memories of his previous performances and said he was pish.

Part/Time Supporter
21-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Fair enough on JJ, but he's got 6 years on Smeltz as well. Just looked up the stats and Smeltz has 18 international appearances and has scored 11 goals - not a bad record to be honest?

From Wikipedia -

Smeltz has played for the under 20, 23 and full New Zealand national team.[2][3] In May 2007, he was the scorer of both New Zealand's goals in an impressive 2-2 draw against Wales.

He also became the first AFC Wimbledon player to win international honours, and the first to became an international goalscorer (on April 25, 2006), when he netted in an away friendly against Chile.

Following his impressive goal scoring form with the Phoenix in the A-League as well as consistent performances for the All Whites, Smeltz was voted New Zealand footballer of the year on 19 November 2007, ahead of English premier league star Ryan Nelsen and Celtic F.C. striker Chris Killen.[4]

After the Oceania Football Confederation had apparently taken away the Oceania Player of the year, Smeltz was also named the Oceania player of the year 2007, in December, 2008.

Shane Smeltz has currently 8 goals for New Zealand in the 2010 World Cup Qualifying Rounds

Anyway, the matter is done and dusted and I will now turn my attention to hating the judas bassa in time for next season!! :greengrin

Who were the games against? I'm thinking of that Aussie who scored 13 goals in a game against some pacific island in a match that ended up 31-0 or something ridiculous like that.

Steve-O
21-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Who were the games against? I'm thinking of that Aussie who scored 13 goals in a game against some pacific island in a match that ended up 31-0 or something ridiculous like that.

Couple against Wales, 1 against Chile, and the rest against Pacific Island types but you can only score against what is put in front of you and that's where New Zealand have to play their qualifiers.

They didn't win any of the games by massive margins - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Smeltz

Hopefully he'll be at the World Cup next year (have to win a play off vs 5th place Asian team in November) and prove you ALL wrong!! :greengrin

mentalhibee
21-05-2009, 09:53 AM
2 goals in 31 games for halifax town, no thanks.

Steve-O
21-05-2009, 10:10 AM
2 goals in 31 games for halifax town, no thanks.

Never heard of anyone having a bad season? Can think of plenty strikers who've had them...

Garry O'Connor 2003–04 Hibernian 33 appearances 5 goals...:rolleyes:

BoltonHibee
21-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I think he's talking about the Keenan I remember arriving - he looked quite good then he had a poor game against Rangers. After that Mixu binned him and we all wiped our memories of his previous performances and said he was pish.

The Keenan I remember in Oz was awful, I could never understand why we bought this lad. I think the 1st game I saw him play for Hibs was against Rangers ( I may be wrong) and could still never understand why we bought him!

PC Stamp
21-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Never heard of anyone having a bad season? Can think of plenty strikers who've had them...

Garry O'Connor 2003–04 Hibernian 33 appearances 5 goals...:rolleyes:

True ... but O'Connor was also a relatively young player who subsequently went on to establish himself in following seasons at that same level and indeed higher. Smeltz however when taken away from his normal habitat fared pretty badly. That's something that would immediately jump out for scouting staff.

Steve-O
23-05-2009, 03:47 AM
True ... but O'Connor was also a relatively young player who subsequently went on to establish himself in following seasons at that same level and indeed higher. Smeltz however when taken away from his normal habitat fared pretty badly. That's something that would immediately jump out for scouting staff.

Did well for AFC Wimbledon, albeit in some pishy league. The A-League can't be described as his normal habitat back then as his first season in the A-League was 2007-08.

Steve-O
23-05-2009, 03:49 AM
As for Keenan, here is a guy who couldn't even get a game in the A-League and yet we have some people suggesting the top scorer and player of the year in that very league is not good enough for Hibs? :confused:

Strange.

MyJo
23-05-2009, 08:13 AM
As for Keenan, here is a guy who couldn't even get a game in the A-League and yet we have some people suggesting the top scorer and player of the year in that very league is not good enough for Hibs? :confused:

Strange.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that keenan is guff and isn't getting a game for us either :wink:

I think you need to let it go Steve-O and concede that the hibs scout took the time to reply to your recommendation and was trying to be polite rather than telling you Smeltz was an average player shining in a diddy league who wouldn't cut it in european football :greengrin: :fishin:

Beefster
23-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Strange.

A public service announcement for all girls in Oceania - Steve-O doesn't take rejection very well.

Steve-O
23-05-2009, 10:52 AM
A public service announcement for all girls in Oceania - Steve-O doesn't take rejection very well.

It's ok, I've managed to get one :wink::greengrin

Steve-O
11-07-2009, 04:48 AM
Just to annoy everyone again...

http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/0910/PreSeason/GoldCoastAway.aspx - Gold Coast beat Fulham the other night...Smeltz getting the winner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNda7hR6R8 - not a bad goal either really...

I wonder if David Fouque went with Mixu or if he's still there? :confused:

Anyway, he was still WRONG! :agree: :greengrin :dummytit:

Iain G
11-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Just to annoy everyone again...

http://www.fulhamfc.com/MatchAndTeam/MatchCentre/Matches/0910/PreSeason/GoldCoastAway.aspx - Gold Coast beat Fulham the other night...Smeltz getting the winner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NNda7hR6R8 - not a bad goal either really...

I wonder if David Fouque went with Mixu or if he's still there? :confused:

Anyway, he was still WRONG! :agree: :greengrin :dummytit:

Nah Hibs were right not to take him, we have Benji and Deek, another lazy forward is not what the club needs :greengrin

Steve-O
11-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Nah Hibs were right not to take him, we have Benji and Deek, another lazy forward is not what the club needs :greengrin

Whether Benji actually returns and does anything remains to be seen!

waterford hibby
11-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I gave them the name of a young lad from here to have a look at and in fairness they replied back that they have had young players scouted in Ireland but feel they are no better then whats available in Scotland and also they may have to pay a fee/compensation with the player having gone through trhe ranks of the junior side he was with,for what its worth the lad i recommended is with Aberdeen and if he keeps his head down and does not get homesick i think he will make a living from the game.

Perspective
11-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I gave them the name of a young lad from here to have a look at and in fairness they replied back that they have had young players scouted in Ireland but feel they are no better then whats available in Scotland and also they may have to pay a fee/compensation with the player having gone through trhe ranks of the junior side he was with,for what its worth the lad i recommended is with Aberdeen and if he keeps his head down and does not get homesick i think he will make a living from the game.

Would that be Sammy Stewart?

Heard he's quite highly rated and I'm sure they paid a five-figure fee for him.

hibs0666
11-07-2009, 07:27 PM

I thought we had signed a young goalie from Donegal very recently?

waterford hibby
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Would that be Sammy Stewart?

Heard he's quite highly rated and I'm sure they paid a five-figure fee for him.
No a young lad from here in Waterford called Paddy Barrett he is only just turned 16 and he has only moved over in the last two weeks,

Winston Ingram
12-07-2009, 06:21 PM

He may well have been. But the facts are this football genius that is Joe Keenan has been emptied by WC Westerlo, Eastbourne Boro, Brentford, Willem II & the mighty Melbourne Victory. If your chief scout thinks he's 'spotted' something in a 25 yr old wi a CV like that yer in trouble.

Thankfully, David Fouque was emptied in December because he was clearly in the same scouting class as Keenan was at playing.:bye:

Steve-O
13-07-2009, 05:59 AM
He may well have been. But the facts are this football genius that is Joe Keenan has been emptied by WC Westerlo, Eastbourne Boro, Brentford, Willem II & the mighty Melbourne Victory. If your chief scout thinks he's 'spotted' something in a 25 yr old wi a CV like that yer in trouble.

Thankfully, David Fouque was emptied in December because he was clearly in the same scouting class as Keenan was at playing.:bye:

Ah, interesting!

To be fair, Melbourne aren't a bad side (A-League champions) but Keenan couldn't even get a game for them.

Winston Ingram
13-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Ah, interesting!

To be fair, Melbourne aren't a bad side (A-League champions) but Keenan couldn't even get a game for them.

He couldn't get a game for any team he played for.

The signing of Keenan always surprised me. Why we needed a another shortarsed, left footed CM when we already had Chis, Lewis & Rankin is beyond me:confused:

Steve-O
13-07-2009, 07:53 AM
He couldn't get a game for any team he played for.

The signing of Keenan always surprised me. Why we needed a another shortarsed, left footed CM when we already had Chis, Lewis & Rankin is beyond me:confused:

I have literally never even seen him play 1 minute for Hibs so have no idea what he's like. I'll take everyone's word for it though! :agree:

Winston Ingram
13-07-2009, 07:56 AM
I have literally never even seen him play 1 minute for Hibs so have no idea what he's like. I'll take everyone's word for it though! :agree:

Totally honkin mate

Steve-O
13-07-2009, 08:02 AM
What I never understood (and less so now that it seems Fouque scouted Keenan) is how Keenan was considered to be good enough to sign despite not even getting a game in the A-League, but Smeltz, the top scorer and player of the year (not just IMO, but in terms of the awards dished out) wasn't worth a further look :confused:

Steve-O
16-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Fouque!!! :grr:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3202710/

5 goals now in the first 2 games of the season for Mr S! :greengrin

Have been rumours now that clubs in Europe / UK are starting to have a look at him...

Iain G
16-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Have been rumours now that clubs in Europe / UK are starting to have a look at him...

Come on man give it up, he is p!sh, yes he can finish sometimes but god his general play and workrate is awful :wink:

So nice to have a proper old fashioned hard working centre forward to watch tonight, rather have Chris Greenacre up front working hard for the team than that lazy huddie Smeltz anyday :devil:

Winston Ingram
16-08-2009, 08:25 AM

Fouque was emptied in December

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Your experience was better than mine Steve. The last time I wrote too the chief scout recommending this rather dashing, veteran superstar of my acquaintance, who'd been sadly neglected in the lower reaches of the local sunday amateur leagues for years, with video enclosed, I only received a terse: "*uck off, you're having a laugh!" in response.

How the club expects to progress with that attitude is beyond me.

Steve-O
14-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Should I e-mail Hibs again? 11 goals in 7 games this season including 2 for New Zealand last midweek...

'Palmer says Smeltz is not for sale, but he has a $A300,000 buy-out clause in his contract.

"I am not on a mission to export Shane from the A-League but good players are on the radar of many clubs and the form that Shane is in means he is more high profile than most," Karis said.

He believes English Premier League and Championship clubs will take a long look at the 27-year-old during the January's European transfer window. Smeltz' midas goal-scoring touch and overall game has gone to new levels since leaving low-level English football."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/2859513/Super-Smeltz-looking-for-rule-change

DirtyDeeds
14-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Wow, you're like the guy who gets knocked back by the girl in the office week after week!!

This guys pedigree is far from impressive. Even when you look at his international record, almost all his goals are against places the size of Edinburgh!! He may well cut it at this level, but is he worth a game ahead of what we already have, stagnating the development of the likes of Byrne and the new breed of 19's, AND a tranfer fee of 300,000?? Id imagine we already have a huge chunk of our wage budget tied up in our forward line, a forward line that most clubs at our level would kill for. At least Killen had scored goals down south before he came up as damaged goods.

You're persistance is to be admired, but id suggest the guys involved in running the club have better judgement then you.

Steve-O
14-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow, you're like the guy who gets knocked back by the girl in the office week after week!!

This guys pedigree is far from impressive. Even when you look at his international record, almost all his goals are against places the size of Edinburgh!! He may well cut it at this level, but is he worth a game ahead of what we already have, stagnating the development of the likes of Byrne and the new breed of 19's, AND a tranfer fee of 300,000?? Id imagine we already have a huge chunk of our wage budget tied up in our forward line, a forward line that most clubs at our level would kill for. At least Killen had scored goals down south before he came up as damaged goods.

You're persistance is to be admired, but id suggest the guys involved in running the club have better judgement then you.

Guy no longer works at Hibs who replied to me. Since I sent the e-mail he became top scorer in the league last year, player of the year, and before the last round of fixtures he had scored more by himself than any other team in the league!

Plus, it's AUD $300k, not GBP.

I'm not suggesting the A-League is amazing, but it's not as bad as some of you might think, and this guy is scoring for fun - 9 goals in 6 games at any level is pretty impressive, and as for his international record, he can only score against what's put in front of him! His international record is significantly better than Killen's as well.

Killen hadn't scored too many down south really.

Against what we have now - Colin Nish? He is better than Nish.

DirtyDeeds
14-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Guy no longer works at Hibs who replied to me. Since I sent the e-mail he became top scorer in the league last year, player of the year, and before the last round of fixtures he had scored more by himself than any other team in the league!

Plus, it's AUD $300k, not GBP.

I'm not suggesting the A-League is amazing, but it's not as bad as some of you might think, and this guy is scoring for fun - 9 goals in 6 games at any level is pretty impressive, and as for his international record, he can only score against what's put in front of him! His international record is significantly better than Killen's as well.

Killen hadn't scored too many down south really.

Against what we have now - Colin Nish? He is better than Nish.

Killen certainly was no predator, but Smeltz scored all his goals at AFC Wimbledon who at the time were around 3 or 4 levels below League 2, all Killens goals came in League 1 i believe, added to a good grounding at a lub like Man City. But thats by the by, he may well be better than Nish, but how many of us think hes any good? Fewer by the week id imagine, hes the worlds softest target man. However, i just find it hard to believe that hes going to be able to justify selection ahead of Riordan, Stokes, Benji or even blooding young Byrne. Plus hes only 6'1, so not as if he offers a different option like Nish (despite the fact he shrinks when he jumps!).

Like i said previously, i admire your determination to push your 'discovery', but Yogi is showing he is looking at players with something more to offer us, players who will improve the TEAM, not just the squad. Also looks like he wants players proven at our level instead of unknowns. But keep fighting the good cause out there, spread the gospel!

Steve-O
14-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Killen certainly was no predator, but Smeltz scored all his goals at AFC Wimbledon who at the time were around 3 or 4 levels below League 2, all Killens goals came in League 1 i believe, added to a good grounding at a lub like Man City. But thats by the by, he may well be better than Nish, but how many of us think hes any good? Fewer by the week id imagine, hes the worlds softest target man. However, i just find it hard to believe that hes going to be able to justify selection ahead of Riordan, Stokes, Benji or even blooding young Byrne. Plus hes only 6'1, so not as if he offers a different option like Nish (despite the fact he shrinks when he jumps!).

Like i said previously, i admire your determination to push your 'discovery', but Yogi is showing he is looking at players with something more to offer us, players who will improve the TEAM, not just the squad. Also looks like he wants players proven at our level instead of unknowns. But keep fighting the good cause out there, spread the gospel!

Well I reckon he'd have scored a few already - our strikers not exactly banging in the goals are they?

If teams in the EPL are looking, then I'd suggest he might be better than any of the 3 you mention! Hard to say but I think it's unfortunate to use his record in England against him - it's clear that he's come on leaps and bounds since then.

He is more of a hero over here than Killen, that's for sure. And he no longer plays for Wellington, so it's not just because of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgHW2-MIIFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuvWBwubBt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cxRPPFHhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge_BI-tvYWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDpSgionww - 3:22 in this video is probably his best effort that I've seen.

He can header too, but I can't be bothered finding any more videos!!

Evidence presented, over and out! :greengrin

archiebald
18-09-2009, 07:51 PM
All we can do is watch and wait :confused: