PDA

View Full Version : Dwain Chambers

Ivan Drago
12-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Whats everyones opinions of the guy?

I reckon he was taking drugs, got caught, banned and served his time. Leave the lad alone now and let him run in the olympics :agree:

Come on Dwain :greengrin

Hank Schrader
12-07-2008, 04:55 PM

I reckon he was taking drugs, got caught, banned and served his time. Leave the lad alone now and let him run in the olympics :agree:

I think if you ask any of his fellow pro athletes you'll find the majority of them don't want him anywhere near Beijing come the Olympics.

I think their opinion counts more that ours personally:cool2:

Ivan Drago
12-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I think if you ask any of his fellow pro athletes you'll find the majority of them don't want him anywhere near Beijing come the Olympics.

I think their opinion counts more that ours personally:cool2:

Fair enough.

He won the trials :greengrin

Hank Schrader
12-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Fair enough.

He won the trials :greengrin

So I saw!

Wednesdays hearing is going to be pretty interesting. I don't think he'll get the decision he wants though.:wink:

Ed De Gramo
13-07-2008, 12:20 PM

I agree with this :agree:

I think he deserves a second chance (think of all the footballers caught taking drugs and they always get a second chance)....so i think Dwain should as well...

Lets face it, it's either running or he'll end up on I'm a Celebrity :greengrin

Ivan Drago
13-07-2008, 03:02 PM
So I saw!

Wednesdays hearing is going to be pretty interesting. I don't think he'll get the decision he wants though.:wink:

Neither do I but, I hope he does :greengrin

Ivan Drago
13-07-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree with this :agree:

I think he deserves a second chance (think of all the footballers caught taking drugs and they always get a second chance)....so i think Dwain should as well...

Lets face it, it's either running or he'll end up on I'm a Celebrity :greengrin

Definately. And I actually think the booing and everyone wanting him to fail is helping him.

It's a shame he done what he done in the first tplace because his sub 10secs show he didnt need them :grr: We all make mistakes in life though and he's done his time :agree:

PC Stamp
13-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Definately. And I actually think the booing and everyone wanting him to fail is helping him.

It's a shame he done what he done in the first tplace because his sub 10secs show he didnt need them :grr: We all make mistakes in life though and he's done his time :agree:

Sorry but IMHO taking banned drugs to enhance your performance is not a mistake. It's downright out and out cheating. He knew what he was doing and knew the risks if he got caught. The penalty wasn't harsh enough. He should have been emptied for life. If he wins a gold at the Olympics (if he's allowed to participate) then it will be a hollow medal for GB.

Ivan Drago
13-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Sorry but IMHO taking banned drugs to enhance your performance is not a mistake. It's downright out and out cheating. He knew what he was doing and knew the risks if he got caught. The penalty wasn't harsh enough. He should have been emptied for life. If he wins a gold at the Olympics (if he's allowed to participate) then it will be a hollow medal for GB.

Why would it be? He's not taking peforming enhancing drugs anymore and has the right to race as much as anyone else, just as footballers are allowed to play again after they do the time. It's up to the courts to decide anyway. :greengrin

PC Stamp
13-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Why would it be? He's not taking peforming enhancing drugs anymore and has the right to race as much as anyone else, just as footballers are allowed to play again after they do the time. It's up to the courts to decide anyway. :greengrin

Let me use this analogy ....

If you ****ged a sheep just the once but got caught ......

:greengrin:

Ivan Drago
13-07-2008, 08:24 PM

:greengrin Touche

Loobrush
13-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I think he should be given the chance. He is clearly a very talented athlete and made a big mistake with taking whatever it was but it's a shame to let his talent go to waste.

Wilson
14-07-2008, 09:14 AM

I think I could outdo Dwain if I'm running from an irate farmer weilding a shotgun...

Anyway, hollow gold medals or not Britain needs all the help it can get. We need our best guys out there and if they compete, win, and would pass a drugs test then that will do for me. Dwain would fit that catagory from now on in.

It is a shame about the stain on his character but he has been punished and should be given a second chance IMHO.

Danderhall Hibs
15-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I think he should be allowed. Double standards IMO - the 400m lassie's getting to go - we all(eggedly) know the only reason she never got caught was because she avoided the test 3 times.

I was told a few years back (just before the Scottish sprinter got caught) that most athletes take drugs - that's why they do their warm weather taining in some far-flung place noone's never heard off - they go there do their training take their drugs then come back just as the drugs are out of the system - they're all bulked up but won't fail a test.

Chambers should be allowed to go.

Bobby S
15-07-2008, 11:40 AM

He got taking drugs, and he knew that if he was caught he would forever be banned from representing Britain at the Olympics. Let him serve his time.

Nevertheless, he should have been banned for life - the only lesson an up and coming athlete would learn from Chambers version of his story is that it's alright to dope - the shame is in getting caught.

Zero Tolerance on drugs cheats, no second chances.

Reaper
15-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Why???? Most other hard working Job's in the world you would get booted out if you got caught taking drugs. Why should spotsman be any different?

Danderhall Hibs
15-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Why???? Most other hard working Job's in the world you would get booted out if you got caught taking drugs. Why should spotsman be any different?

Are you saying you'd get kicked out then never be allowed to work again?

Hibs Class
15-07-2008, 07:00 PM
When he cheated he knew the penalty was a life ban from Olympics. If he wins it will be for either a spurious legal reason or because the British athletics authorities are fearful of the cost of litigation. If he does run, any success will be regarded as tainted, and rightly so. Once a cheat, always a cheat. Hopefully he'll be sent home to watch the games on TV.

Sunny Leith
15-07-2008, 08:26 PM
When he cheated he knew the penalty was a life ban from Olympics. If he wins it will be for either a spurious legal reason or because the British athletics authorities are fearful of the cost of litigation. If he does run, any success will be regarded as tainted, and rightly so. Once a cheat, always a cheat. Hopefully he'll be sent home to watch the games on TV.

Come on, have a heart!

Didn't you watch Cool Runnings, John Candy was a cheat but look at what happened when he came back as a coach :greengrin

Ivan Drago
15-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Come on, have a heart!

Didn't you watch Cool Runnings, John Candy was a cheat but look at what happened when he came back as a coach :greengrin

Exactly, I see pride, I see power.....:greengrin

Hibs Class
16-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Come on, have a heart!

You're right, we should look to Hollywood for moral guidance here - maybe Dwain and Linford could enter the pairs figure skating in the winter Olympics instead.:wink:

Hank Schrader
18-07-2008, 10:35 AM
His bid has failed "BBC Sport understands":wink:

--------
19-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Maybe the guys who had to wait until today to find out whether THEY were going to Beijing because Chambers was challenging his ban ought to be considered.

Is it right to take a cheat who's been legally punished according to the rules, or someone else who has never used drugs?

(Or at least, since this is athletics we're talking about, never been caught?)

But then, I never can work out how on earth anyone can talk about or discuss ethics and morality in the context of the Olympics.

A jamboree of world sports in the capital city of a country ruled by one of the most cruel and oppressive regimes in the history of the world. Painting a happy smile on the face of a monster. A bloody obscenity.

Maybe Chambers is the right man for the job after all. :cool2:

Allant1981
22-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I think the the judge was right not to overturn the ban, if he hadn't been caught does anyone honestly think he would have stopped taking drugs, I have ran for scotland and trianed with some of the best athletes this counrty has produced and i would be sevelry p****d off if i knew one or more of them had beaten me because they were on drugs. Personally I would ban them from all competitions. If they have cheated once who is to say they won't do it again

AndyP
22-07-2008, 08:37 PM
For all those that think Chambers should have been allowed, think on one thing, how do you think the 3 other clean sprinters in the relay team who had their medals stripped from them because of one mans dishonesty.

Do you really think that he would be accepted back into that team for an event that relies on a lot of trust between the athletes :confused:

Sergio sledge
23-07-2008, 10:56 AM
For all those that think Chambers should have been allowed, think on one thing, how do you think the 3 other clean sprinters in the relay team who had their medals stripped from them because of one mans dishonesty.

Do you really think that he would be accepted back into that team for an event that relies on a lot of trust between the athletes :confused:

Good point, Chambers wasn't wanted back but a large amount of the British team, it would not have been good for morale if he had got back in.

Anyway, he knew the rules about not being allowed into the Olympics if you are caught as a drugs cheat, before he started taking drugs, so he just has to live with the consequences. He made his bed, now he must lie in it

Sir David Gray
29-07-2008, 10:39 PM
There is no way Dwain Chambers should have been allowed into the Olympics.

If he had been allowed to compete then the whole GB performance at Beijing would have been overshadowed by his presence. How would you feel (as a "clean" athlete) to be overlooked by the media because of someone who has deliberately cheated?

I have sympathy for guys like Alain Baxter who was treated appallingly by the authorities but Dwain Chambers deserves all he gets.

Danderhall Hibs
30-07-2008, 08:30 AM
There is no way Dwain Chambers should have been allowed into the Olympics.

If he had been allowed to compete then the whole GB performance at Beijing would have been overshadowed by his presence. How would you feel (as a "clean" athlete) to be overlooked by the media because of someone who has deliberately cheated?

I have sympathy for guys like Alain Baxter who was treated appallingly by the authorities but Dwain Chambers deserves all he gets.

He's served his time though. He says he's not doing drugs now and no doubt he'll be tested. We should be picking our best team not being pompous about it.

How do the 400m girls that have missed out to Ohurogu feel? She's not even served her time yet! Double standards.

Sir David Gray
31-07-2008, 10:48 PM
He's served his time though. He says he's not doing drugs now and no doubt he'll be tested. We should be picking our best team not being pompous about it.

How do the 400m girls that have missed out to Ohurogu feel? She's not even served her time yet! Double standards.

Not as far as the Olympics go he hasn't. He knew perfectly well what he was doing and the implications that his actions would have upon his Olympic career but he still chose to cheat.

He won't be sorry that he cheated, he'll be sorry that he got caught. If his story makes just one athlete in the future make the decision not to take drugs then he will at least have done some good as a lesson to others.

In the case of Christine Ohuruogu, she has never actually been found guilty of taking any banned substances, she simply missed 3 drugs tests. Now obviously you could argue that the fact she missed 3 tests is dodgy but as far as the law is concerned, I don't think she can be classed in the same category as Dwain Chambers until she has been found guilty herself.

British Olympics has a zero tolerance approach to athletes found to be abusing performance enhancing drugs and I think that's the only way to deter people as anyone who becomes an athlete will dream of representing their country at the Olympic Games and if that privilege is denied then it's certainly a good deterrent.

Danderhall Hibs
01-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Not as far as the Olympics go he hasn't. He knew perfectly well what he was doing and the implications that his actions would have upon his Olympic career but he still chose to cheat.

He won't be sorry that he cheated, he'll be sorry that he got caught. If his story makes just one athlete in the future make the decision not to take drugs then he will at least have done some good as a lesson to others.

In the case of Christine Ohuruogu, she has never actually been found guilty of taking any banned substances, she simply missed 3 drugs tests. Now obviously you could argue that the fact she missed 3 tests is dodgy but as far as the law is concerned, I don't think she can be classed in the same category as Dwain Chambers until she has been found guilty herself.

British Olympics has a zero tolerance approach to athletes found to be abusing performance enhancing drugs and I think that's the only way to deter people as anyone who becomes an athlete will dream of representing their country at the Olympic Games and if that privilege is denied then it's certainly a good deterrent.

The Olympics ban is only a British ban though not the norm.

And "simply" missed 3 tests?! I'll bet Dwain wishes he'd just forgotten 'cos then we could've all just swept it under the carpet and pretended he hadn't done it.

As I said double standards.

Ivan Drago
03-08-2008, 07:58 PM

And "simply" missed 3 tests?! I'll bet Dwain wishes he'd just forgotten 'cos then we could've all just swept it under the carpet and pretended he hadn't done it.

:agree:

--------
04-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Do we not think that the question of whether drug cheats get caught or not is a wee bit irrelevant in view of where the Games are happening and what's going on in the same country at the same time? :cool2:

Sir David Gray
05-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Fair enough I didn't phrase that properly. Obviously she shouldn't have missed the drug tests but at the same time she has never been found to have had any banned substance in her system, Dwain Chambers has. As far as the rules are concerned, I think it would be a bit harsh to ban someone from the Olympics *for life who hasn't been proven to have taken drugs.

*I think Christine Ohuruogu deserved a ban for missing the tests but I do not believe she should be treated the same way as Dwain Chambers.

If she ever tests positive in the future then she should be treated in exactly the same way as Chambers.

As for the ban only being a British ban, that was my point. Dwain Chambers was/is a British athlete at the time he took the drugs and he knew the BOA rules regarding the banning for life at the Olympics of any athlete who is found to have taken an illegal substance.

IMO this stance should be taken up by every Olympic committee throughout the world so that every athlete who cheats with drugs is handed a lifetime ban from the Olympic Games.