PDA

View Full Version : Well done Rafa!

Sir David Gray
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
What a fantastic way to finish off a fantastic tournament. Tonight's final between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will undoubtedly go down as one of, if not the, greatest Wimbledon men's finals of all time.

I only saw the final set but that was enough to realise just how great it actually was.

For Roger Federer to come back from 2 sets down against someone Rafael Nadal and come as close as he did to winning shows the class of the man. However it was Rafa's year and I don't think anyone could really grudge him it. He now becomes the first man to win the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year since Bjorn Borg in 1980 and the first man ever to win the French Open, Queen's and Wimbledon in the same year which is an extraordinary achievement.

For Federer it is disappointment as he lost his first match on grass for 6 years.

It now looks certain that Nadal will become the new world number one within the next couple of months and it's probably something that he deserves as up until now he has been regarded as the best player never to have been number one.

It will be interesting to see what happens from now. After Roland Garros some people were wondering if Federer was finished whilst others said that he had simply lost to the greatest clay court player for years. However, now that he has also now lost at Wimbledon will he start to become more vulnerable and will Nadal now start to believe that he can become a lot more than just a great clay court player?

It will be a fascinating next few months. We have the US Open coming up at the end of August and if you believe the experts then Rafa has next to no chance of winning that this year as the hard courts are his weakest surface and is also the surface that affects his knees the most.

If he can prove the critics wrong and win his 3rd grand slam of the year then we may just be looking at the next king of men's tennis.

However Roger Federer is almost as dominant at the US Open as he was at Wimbledon, winning four consecutive titles and he won't want to give that title up without a fight.

If Federer fails to win the US Open it would be the first time since 2002 that he had failed to win at least one Grand Slam title in a calendar year.

JimBHibees
07-07-2008, 10:51 AM
What a fantastic way to finish off a fantastic tournament. Tonight's final between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will undoubtedly go down as one of, if not the, greatest Wimbledon men's finals of all time.

I only saw the final set but that was enough to realise just how great it actually was.

For Roger Federer to come back from 2 sets down against someone Rafael Nadal and come as close as he did to winning shows the class of the man. However it was Rafa's year and I don't think anyone could really grudge him it. He now becomes the first man to win the French Open and Wimbledon in the same year since Bjorn Borg in 1980 and the first man ever to win the French Open, Queen's and Wimbledon in the same year which is an extraordinary achievement.

For Federer it is disappointment as he lost his first match on grass for 6 years.

It now looks certain that Nadal will become the new world number one within the next couple of months and it's probably something that he deserves as up until now he has been regarded as the best player never to have been number one.

It will be interesting to see what happens from now. After Roland Garros some people were wondering if Federer was finished whilst others said that he had simply lost to the greatest clay court player for years. However, now that he has also now lost at Wimbledon will he start to become more vulnerable and will Nadal now start to believe that he can become a lot more than just a great clay court player?

It will be a fascinating next few months. We have the US Open coming up at the end of August and if you believe the experts then Rafa has next to no chance of winning that this year as the hard courts are his weakest surface and is also the surface that affects his knees the most.

If he can prove the critics wrong and win his 3rd grand slam of the year then we may just be looking at the next king of men's tennis.

However Roger Federer is almost as dominant at the US Open as he was at Wimbledon, winning four consecutive titles and he won't want to give that title up without a fight.

If Federer fails to win the US Open it would be the first time since 2002 that he had failed to win at least one Grand Slam title in a calendar year.

Did he not win the Australian open?

PC Stamp
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I would never write Federer off. Everytone did after 2 sets yesterday and as you said, his class as a true champion showed through to get him back in the match. That he did finally succumb was down to the fact that Nadal too is a great champion. Federer though is only 26 and I can see a few more great duels between the two over the next few years!

It's a pity that those two are around to dominate the game at the same time as Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic!

AllyF
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Best tennis match I have ever witnessed.
Thank god Rafa won, was rooting for him from the start. :thumbsup:

SlickShoes
07-07-2008, 02:26 PM

I think that federer may now be more vulnerable to nadal, but thats it, he is still light years infront of everyone else as is nadal, they both got to the final yesterday without dropping a single set which just makes everyone else look poor or them look a class apart!

Sir David Gray
07-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Did he not win the Australian open?

No, Novak Djokovic won the Australian Open, he beat Federer in the semis.

Sir David Gray
07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I think that federer may now be more vulnerable to nadal, but thats it, he is still light years infront of everyone else as is nadal, they both got to the final yesterday without dropping a single set which just makes everyone else look poor or them look a class apart!

Not entirely true. Nadal lost the opening set in his 2nd round match against Ernests Gulbis, who has a massive future in the game IMO.

I totally agree with everything else you've said, however. Although I would say Federer is starting to lose a little bit of his edge against Nadal, he is still so much better than everyone else and that was proven by the way he dismantled Safin in the semi finals.

Let's not forget as well that Federer remains the 2nd best clay court player in the world. He has reached the final of the French Open for the last 3 years which is no mean feat. It's just unfortunate for him that on each of those occasions he has met Mr Nadal.

Sir David Gray
07-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I would never write Federer off. Everytone did after 2 sets yesterday and as you said, his class as a true champion showed through to get him back in the match. That he did finally succumb was down to the fact that Nadal too is a great champion. Federer though is only 26 and I can see a few more great duels between the two over the next few years!

It's a pity that those two are around to dominate the game at the same time as Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic!

I wouldn't completely write him off as such but I think it will be tough for him to regain his invincibility that he had a couple of years ago. I can still see him reaching Grand Slam finals for the next 2 or 3 years but he will never win the French Open unless Nadal gets injured and he has now lost his long unbeaten run at Wimbledon.

He has to hope now that Nadal's win at Wimbledon yesterday was a one off and that he can still dominate at the US Open and even the Australian Open but I feel that the Australian Open is a lot more open than Wimbledon and Roland Garros are and guys like Murray and Djokovic will be looking to win that one.