PDA

View Full Version : Khan v Gomez

Wheat Hound
17-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Fightng this Saturday on ITV1. Should be a cracker and hopefully Gomez gets his heid staved in as revenge for AA a few years back. Granted, he deserved to win that fight but his conduct ever since has been that of a classless numpty.

Toaods
17-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Fightng this Saturday on ITV1. Should be a cracker and hopefully Gomez gets his heid staved in as revenge for AA a few years back. Granted, he deserved to win that fight but his conduct ever since has been that of a classless numpty.

think that might be because he is......he's from Romany descent.

LustForLeith
17-06-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm hoping Gomez beats him!:agree:

Ivan Drago
17-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm hoping Gomez beats him!:agree:

:agree: Same here I hate Khan and hope he gets pumped soon :grr:

Hank Schrader
17-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I can never understand why some folk dislike Khan so much:confused: Always comes across as a pretty decent guy, he's done nothing to upset me.

What does get on my wick though is how ITV bum him up as a future boxing great. He's good, but he ain't that good....as Willie Limond showed last year by sticking him on his backside. Not convinced he will be a successful as say Hatton, Calzaghe or Prince Naseem.

I really want to see how he fares against some crack American dude or Mexican.:agree:

I do think he will smack Gomez around, perhaps after a quick start from the challenger.

Khan in the third for me.

LustForLeith
17-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I can never understand why some folk dislike Khan so much:confused: Always comes across as a pretty decent guy, he's done nothing to upset me.

What does get on my wick though is how ITV bum him up as a future boxing great. He's good, but he ain't that good....as Willie Limond showed last year by sticking him on his backside. Not convinced he will be a successful as say Hatton, Calzaghe or Prince Naseem.

I really want to see how he fares against some crack American dude or Mexican.:agree:

I do think he will smack Gomez around, perhaps after a quick start from the challenger.

Khan in the third for me.

Thats my thinking mate. I reckon he has potentual, but takes an easy route. I'm sure there was a large sum offered for him to fight John Thaxton (think thats his name) but the fight was turned down. Could be like the backlash Calzaghe will get when as expected he fights Roy Jones Junior instead of Pavlic.

Hank Schrader
17-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats my thinking mate. I reckon he has potentual, but takes an easy route. I'm sure there was a large sum offered for him to fight John Thaxton (think thats his name) but the fight was turned down. Could be like the backlash Calzaghe will get when as expected he fights Roy Jones Junior instead of Pavlic.

IIRC Thaxton gave Ricky Hatton a hell of a fight a few years back, I think Hatton was cut badly was taken all the way. If the Khan camp are indeed ducking someone like Thaxton then that says quite a bit, perhaps not too confident he would come through.

A lot of Khans easy route in his early boxing career is down to Frank Warren. How often did Ricky Hatton end up fighting weak opposition when he fought under Sports Networks name? Quite a few I recall. Frank Warren is a sham of a Boxing promoter:agree:

As for Calzaghe, I would love to see him fight Pavlik. That would be some fight. Whether KP can maintain his dominance at Super Middleweight remains to be seen but I fancy he could beat Joe.

Mind you, I did say Kessler would beat Calzaghe so what do I know!:greengrin

LustForLeith
17-06-2008, 11:52 AM
IIRC Thaxton gave Ricky Hatton a hell of a fight a few years back, I think Hatton was cut badly was taken all the way. If the Khan camp are indeed ducking someone like Thaxton then that says quite a bit, perhaps not too confident he would come through.

A lot of Khans easy route in his early boxing career is down to Frank Warren. How often did Ricky Hatton end up fighting weak opposition when he fought under Sports Networks name? Quite a few I recall. Frank Warren is a sham of a Boxing promoter:agree:

As for Calzaghe, I would love to see him fight Pavlik. That would be some fight. Whether KP can maintain his dominance at Super Middleweight remains to be seen but I fancy he could beat Joe.

Mind you, I did say Kessler would beat Calzaghe so what do I know!:greengrin

Would love to see that as well, just got a feeling that it's not goign to happen. A lot of people share your views of Warren, I'm sure that he issued a statement recently saying that Jones is a better fight and Pavlik didn't want to fight Calzaghe!

cabbageandribs1875
21-06-2008, 08:03 PM

you probably just answered your own question:agree: unfortunately khan is starting to believe the english media hyping him up all the time http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2008/06/19/Boxing-Khan-on-Harrison/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

Indeed, Khan is promising a comprehensive victory on Saturday night and ridiculed the suggestion that Gomez’s power could cause him problems.

”I know how good I am and I know Michael Gomez is not going to beat me in a million years in that ring on Saturday night,” he declared.

:bitchy:

nishtelrooy
21-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Another Naseem he will get plugged and youll no hear from him again

cabbageandribs1875
21-06-2008, 10:05 PM
will gomez last more than a couple of rounds :devil:

LiverpoolHibs
21-06-2008, 10:05 PM
think that might be because he is......he's from Romany descent.
Wow. Deary, deary me.

matty_f
21-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Decent fight so far. Think Kahn should win, Gomez is taking some amount of punches from him.

LiverpoolHibs
21-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Decent fight so far. Think Kahn should win, Gomez is taking some amount of punches from him.
Khan doesn't seem to be able to take a punch though. Looks like he's got a ****ed rib as well.

matty_f
21-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Khan doesn't seem to be able to take a punch though. Looks like he's got a ****ed rib as well.

Gomez is struggling too. I just think Kahn has a bit more about him. Gomez is slow, but he keeps coming back...

well, the ref's just stopped it, but I thought Gomez had a wee bit longer to go there.

LiverpoolHibs
21-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Gomez is struggling too. I just think Kahn has a bit more about him. Gomez is slow, but he keeps coming back...

well, the ref's just stopped it, but I thought Gomez had a wee bit longer to go there.

Same, he looked gutted it was stopped. He hasn't boxed for about three years or something, aye?

cabbageandribs1875
21-06-2008, 10:23 PM

and so did gomez himself, right decision by the ref tho me thinks:agree: didn't realise gomez was 10 years older than khan.

Shrekko
21-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Good decision by the ref. It wasnt the flurry of punches Gomez had taken just before the stoppage, but the cumulative effect of the punishment he'd take all through the fight.

It was entertaining, but I have to say it crossed my mind that there could have been tragic conseqeunces if it had gone on for a lot longer.

MrRobot
21-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Khan is a great boxer, really like the guy. Doing great!:thumbsup:

Wilson
22-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Good decision by the ref. It wasnt the flurry of punches Gomez had taken just before the stoppage, but the cumulative effect of the punishment he'd take all through the fight.

It was entertaining, but I have to say it crossed my mind that there could have been tragic conseqeunces if it had gone on for a lot longer.

I think it was a poor decision by the ref.

Gomez was still making an effort to avoid the punches, and more importantly, retalliate.

He wasn't much more than one decent body shot way from having Khan in trouble.

It is a shame that a genuinely hard guy who came to fight is the victim of such a soft stoppage.

Someone is protecting Warrens investment I reckon.

bobbyhibs1983
22-06-2008, 11:13 AM
you probably just answered your own question:agree: unfortunately khan is starting to believe the english media hyping him up all the time http://www.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Other-sports/2008/06/19/Boxing-Khan-on-Harrison/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

Indeed, Khan is promising a comprehensive victory on Saturday night and ridiculed the suggestion that Gomez’s power could cause him problems.

”I know how good I am and I know Michael Gomez is not going to beat me in a million years in that ring on Saturday night,” he declared.

:bitchy:

Thats what really bugs me bout him, he comes across as very arroangt,just my view though.Yes he is a good boxer, he has really good fast hands but the thing that gets me is i dunno as of yet if he can take a punch.Can you imagen kahn up against somone who has very good hand speed and who has good power?

I dunno how he would fair

Toaods
22-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Gomez summed it up at the end "he was too big for me"....Khan kooked huge in comparison.

Frank Warren really id=s doing a good job for all concerned:

Khan was raw but learning fast
Team Khan keep clocking up the wins
They are all making cash
TV are happy with the marketability of him
Warrens making millions as he makes his way towards another load of loot from the USA.