08-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Gubbed, tanked, pummeled, horsed:agree::greengrin

Ivan Drago
08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Gubbed, tanked, pummeled, horsed:agree::greengrin

:greengrin

RyeSloan
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Aye well wait till wimbers and we might see different game.........

Danderhall Hibs
09-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Aye well wait till wimbers and we might see different game.........

I think Nadal might turn him over this year he took him to 5 sets last year IIRC. Federer can't be hailed a great until he's won the French.

hibby19
09-06-2008, 08:09 PM
I think Nadal might turn him over this year he took him to 5 sets last year IIRC. Federer can't be hailed a great until he's won the French.

Not gonna happen for a while IMO

I can only see Federer winning it anytime soon if Nadal gets injured before/during the tournament

Sir David Gray
10-06-2008, 03:26 PM

I see what you mean but I think that's a bit harsh.

He has the joint second largest haul of grand slam titles (12 alongside Roy Emerson) and is just two behind Pete Sampras.

IMO Federer is a tennis great already and when he has retired he will be remembered as one of the best players of all time even if he never manages to win the French. However, if he does ever manage to win the French Open, which I think is unlikely with Nadal around, I would regard Roger Federer as the greatest player of all time. Although I would agree with you that you cannot say he is the greatest of all time unless he wins all 4 Grand Slams.

Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Connors, Becker, Edberg and Sampras never managed to win all 4 slams but most people would regard them as tennis greats.

Danderhall Hibs
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I see what you mean but I think that's a bit harsh.

He has the joint second largest haul of grand slam titles (12 alongside Roy Emerson) and is just two behind Pete Sampras.

IMO Federer is a tennis great already and when he has retired he will be remembered as one of the best players of all time even if he never manages to win the French. However, if he does ever manage to win the French Open, which I think is unlikely with Nadal around, I would regard Roger Federer as the greatest player of all time. Although I would agree with you that you cannot say he is the greatest of all time unless he wins all 4 Grand Slams.

Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Connors, Becker, Edberg and Sampras never managed to win all 4 slams but most people would regard them as tennis greats.

Fair enough FH you obviously know a lot more than me about tennis. I just think that if you can't win them all you're not a great. Who has won them all then? Agassi recently - anyone else?

Sir David Gray
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Fair enough FH you obviously know a lot more than me about tennis. I just think that if you can't win them all you're not a great. Who has won them all then? Agassi recently - anyone else?

There have only been five men in the history of tennis who have won all four grand slams in their career and only one, Andre Agassi, has done it since the Open Era (after 1968) began.

The other four are Fred Perry, Don Budge, Rod Laver and Roy Emerson.

As I said before, I would completely agree that you cannot be considered the greatest player of all time unless you win all four Slams but I think Roger Federer is a tennis great, considering how many grand slams he has won and how many tournaments overall he has got. He has won 54 career singles titles, which is just 10 behind Sampras.

It is also got to be understood that he is failing to win his last remaining grand slam because he keeps meeting Rafa Nadal in the final, who is possibly the greatest clay court player of all time.

Danderhall Hibs
10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
It is also got to be understood that he is failing to win his last remaining grand slam because he keeps meeting Rafa Nadal in the final, who is possibly the greatest clay court player of all time.

That's a fair point :agree: - he's beating everyone else but just can't shift Nadal. Can't even push him close! At least Nadal took Federer to 5 sets on "his" surface last year.

Sir David Gray
11-06-2008, 09:36 PM
That's a fair point :agree: - he's beating everyone else but just can't shift Nadal. Can't even push him close! At least Nadal took Federer to 5 sets on "his" surface last year.

Yep that is true and I could quite conceivably see Nadal winning Wimbledon this year. I think his grass court game has improved dramatically over the past couple of years and he is not just a great clay courter.

It will take a bigger effort from him to win Wimbledon than it took to win the French Open but I think he's more than capable of doing it.