hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sir Kenny

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

Sir Kenny

Dalglish, Knighted

2. Log in to remove the advert

He deserves it for his actions after Hillsborough.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    While I'm not sure about the honours system, if sportsmen and sportswoman should receive some sort of public acknowledgement then Kenny Dalglish has been overdue for a long, long time.

His exploits as a footballer were more than enough and how he responded to Hillsborough took him way, way beyond that.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The King is now Sir King Kenny, long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I'm not sure about the honours system, if sportsmen and sportswoman should receive some sort of public acknowledgement then Kenny Dalglish has been overdue for a long, long time.

His exploits as a footballer were more than enough and how he responded to Hillsborough took him way, way beyond that.
    Great post, 100% agree

Agree with this. As an aside, I am attending fundraiser next week where a framed and signed KD 1978 Liverpool shirt is one of the auction items, I expect this news may push the price up.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Sir King Kenny is an absolute legend for the way he has conducted himself on and off the park above and beyond the call of duty for football, charity and the City of Liverpool. Well deserved. RESPECT.

There will be posters of a certain age, me being one, for whom Kenny Dalglish was God and who you claimed to be when you scored a raker or a peach down the side of the flats, or at the rec, or in the street.

You got a glimpse of other stellar players every so often, when the very limited TV coverage allowed - Platini, Rumenigge and the likes.

Absolute legend, already a legend before I was old enough to know who he was, and continued to be after I did.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Sir King Kenny is an absolute legend for the way he has conducted himself on and off the park above and beyond the call of duty for football, charity and the City of Liverpool. Well deserved. RESPECT.

Mostly.

Didn’t cover himself in glory defending Suárez after the Evra racism scandal. Seem to remember the Liverpool players even wearing Suárez tshirts after him being found guilty.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    Mostly.

Didn’t cover himself in glory defending Suárez after the Evra racism scandal. Seem to remember the Liverpool players even wearing Suárez tshirts after him being found guilty.
    Agree. Not the first Manager to show misplaced loyalty to a player in the wrong though must admit dragged on too long. We all make mistakes so can draw a line under that and move on as Suarez did -until his next misdemeanour .Still feel this honour long overdue for the work he has done with Hillsborough and his wife Marinas charities.He was not a bad player also though feel his special performances for Scotland were somewhat spaced out though welcome special moments when they arrived. His face always lit up when he scored arms raised and thrown back and that special smile.The goal against Wales at Anfield and the goal against Chelsea to win the league at Stamford Bridge as Player Manager and the goal at Wembley against Bruges to win the European Cup.He was the real deal.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Long overdue. One of football's good guys. At one point he was attending five funerals a day in the aftermath of Hillsborough. Complete respect for Sir King.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Kenny Dalglish is one of the classiest guys in the game. Dignity, integrity and loyalty all day long.

Absolutely delighted to see this recognition for him and perhaps too for the club, the city and all it went through after Hillsborough.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Delighted for him and his family, did he play in Alan sneddons testimonial, and Keith got a hat trick?

Personally against the honours system and what it represents but if it is to be a thing, then there is nobody I can think of that deserves recognition more than him. Congrats Kenny

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Congratulations to a wonderful player and person.
    Arise Sir Kenny. Well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by DarlingtonHibee View Post
    Delighted for him and his family, did he play in Alan sneddons testimonial, and Keith got a hat trick?
    Found this

Sir King Kenny.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    Beautiful

There will be posters of a certain age, me being one, for whom Kenny Dalglish was God and who you claimed to be when you scored a raker or a peach down the side of the flats, or at the rec, or in the street.

You got a glimpse of other stellar players every so often, when the very limited TV coverage allowed - Platini, Rumenigge and the likes.

Absolute legend, already a legend before I was old enough to know who he was, and continued to be after I did.
    Your post took me back to kick abouts in the Park. Happier days...thank you x

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Fought for many years with the British Government over Hillsborough. Thought he might have told them to bolt.

Blog Entries
    well deserved IMO. The same cannot be said for the Network Rail big wig.

Part of me wishes he'd told them to stick it.

However if we have an honours system and he's happy to accept it then I can't think of many people more deserving, certainly in the context of sport.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Pleased for KD, I assume this is for services to sport. I do wonder why this year and not last year or the year before etc... how exactly does the honours system work? Not a big fan of it and appears haphazard and apart from the odd pleb is just cronyism and pats on the back for the old boys and elite.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I remember someone posting on here that he saw Kenny sitting in his car in Easter Road tucking into a fish supper after the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    I remember someone posting on here that he saw Kenny sitting in his car in Easter Road tucking into a fish supper after the game!
    Seemingly it was always a white pudding supper he ate!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    The King is now Sir King Kenny, long overdue.
    Wonder if he considered turning the award down given the establishment driven conspiracy.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    Fought for many years with the British Government over Hillsborough. Thought he might have told them to bolt.
    Agree.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    If remember correctly did he not score 4? Spoke to Keith and he told me that KK told him to run into channels, I’ll find you 👍

@hibs.net private member
    Like many more, I'm not in favour of the honours system, but if anyone deserves recognition of their achievements it's Kenny. This award is unlikely to change him in the least. Truly one of life's good guys.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    Pleased for KD, I assume this is for services to sport. I do wonder why this year and not last year or the year before etc... how exactly does the honours system work? Not a big fan of it and appears haphazard and apart from the odd pleb is just cronyism and pats on the back for the old boys and elite.

Kenny's a good guy but I would have loved him to refuse the award due to the establishment's cover up over Hillsborough. The honors system is discredited; title and privilege is throwback to the days of the British Empire and should have no place in modern society IMO.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 09-06-2018 at 08:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Seemingly it was always a white pudding supper he ate!
    Aye that was it!