hibs.net Messageboard

Coaching Staff

3 Hibs players in Socceroo squad

Boyle, MacLaren and Milligan all named in the Australia squad to face South Korea in Brisbane, and Lebanon in Sydney.

Possibility that all 3 could be on the park together in Brisbane.

If that does happen then It will be the first time three of our players have been in the same side international wise with the exception of Scotland I think.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Whether they play out there or not I suspect this will rule all three of them out of the Dundee game 24/11. Guess they will be back with Hibs 22/11 and knackered after two 12-hour body clock adjustments in c.10 days.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whether they play out there or not I suspect this will rule all three of them out of the Dundee game 24/11. Guess they will be back with Hibs 22/11 and knackered after two 12-hour body clock adjustments in c.10 days.
    Assuming it's running on the necessary days, that Dubai - Edinburgh direct service from Emirates might prove to be quite handy here!

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Boyle, MacLaren and Milligan all named in the Australia squad to face South Korea in Brisbane, and Lebanon in Sydney.

If that does happen then It will be the first time three of our players have been in the same side international wise with the exception of Scotland I think.
    Suspect that could be quite a fiery encounter Fred?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Not expected to be ON the park, but no doubt room for the odd stramash off it.

The Lebanon game is billed as Tim Cahill’s Farewell...he will get a cameo role with ten minutes to go so the fans can say goodbye to him in his home city.

Arnie has already suggested that the 4 A League players who were added to the squad will get game time in this one, so don’t expect a full Hibee complementt on the park in this game.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Great that our players are getting international recognition but from a Hibs point of view it's a nightmare especially with the hectic December fixtures.

Gives me a reason to head to the game is Brisbane.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

One would assume that is certainly the case. I think Russell Latapy and Lyndon Andrews may have been in Trinidad and Tobago squads together while at Hibs but can't imagine we've ever had three players in a non-Scotland international squad. Even three Hibs players in a Scotland squad doesn't happen very often.

First Team Regular Sproule Three's Avatar
    Assuming it's running on the necessary days, that Dubai - Edinburgh direct service from Emirates might prove to be quite handy here!
    Runs daily .
    Twice daily to Glasgow .

They go business class .
    Milligan and MacLaren will be well used to it.
    Boyle will be wrecked .
    It’s a killer of a flight . I’ve done it often enough .
    Not business class tbf

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    One would assume that is certainly the case. I think Russell Latapy and Lyndon Andrews may have been in Trinidad and Tobago squads together while at Hibs but can't imagine we've ever had three players in a non-Scotland international squad. Even three Hibs players in a Scotland squad doesn't happen very often.
    I think if they are all on the park at the same time then it will be the first time that has occurred for any international side than Scotland while the three players have been contracted to Hibs. There are at least two examples of games where three players who have played for Hibs at some point in their careers have played for an international team:

Finland 4-1 Northern Ireland, October 1999 - Jarkko Wiss, Mixu and Jonathan Johannson all started for the home side. A midfielder by the name of Lennon played for Northern Ireland!

Northern Ireland 1-1 Portugal, November 2005 - For seven minutes of this game Colin Murdock, Ivan Sproule and Dean Shiels were on the field. Had Murdock not left us in the summer of 2005 then that would have been the precedent that the Aussies will likely make against South Korea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sproule Three View Post
    Runs daily .
    Twice daily to Glasgow .

They go business class .
    Boyle will be wrecked .
    Not business class tbf
    Was meant to be daily but that has been delayed until next year: https://www.scotsman.com/news/transp...unch-1-4805089

Suspect Tom Rogic will be on the same flights from Dubai - Australia at least.

Runs daily .
    Twice daily to Glasgow .

They go business class .
    Boyle will be wrecked .
    Not business class tbf
    Done 4 return trips to Perth with work this year (via Dubai usually) and you're right it is a killer! And that was business class. I was kind of zombied for a day or 2 after getting back to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Done 4 return trips to Perth with work this year (via Dubai usually) and you're right it is a killer! And that was business class. I was kind of zombied for a day or 2 after getting back to the UK.
    Was reading good things recently about the Qantas London - Perth direct service and how fresh people feel when getting off it, I'd prefer to be the judge of that myself though!

I think if they are all on the park at the same time then it will be the first time that has occurred for any international side than Scotland while the three players have been contracted to Hibs. There are at least two examples of games where three players who have played for Hibs at some point in their careers have played for an international team:

Finland 4-1 Northern Ireland, October 1999 - Jarkko Wiss, Mixu and Jonathan Johannson all started for the home side. A midfielder by the name of Lennon played for Northern Ireland!

Northern Ireland 1-1 Portugal, November 2005 - For seven minutes of this game Colin Murdock, Ivan Sproule and Dean Shiels were on the field. Had Murdock not left us in the summer of 2005 then that would have been the precedent that the Aussies will likely make against South Korea!
    Wondering now if Rougier, Latapy and Andrews would ever have been on the field at the same time during the 2006 World Cup (notwithstanding not having been signed for Hibs at the time) - that would be a third example and I expect probably the first and only time we've had three on the field at the same time in an international tournament (Scotland or otherwise)

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Wondering now if Rougier, Latapy and Andrews would ever have been on the field at the same time during the 2006 World Cup (notwithstanding not having been signed for Hibs at the time) - that would be a third example and I expect probably the first and only time we've had three on the field at the same time in an international tournament (Scotland or otherwise)
    Only Latapy was in that squad.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Only Latapy was in that squad.
    Spot on - Rougier was axed from the final cut and the Andrews was Marvin not Lyndon!

Runs daily .
    Twice daily to Glasgow .

They go business class .
    Boyle will be wrecked .
    Not business class tbf
    Business class or not the general rule of thumb is that a full rebalance of the body clock takes one day per one hour of time-zone change. So they will be rebalanced to Oz time just as they are getting on the plane to come home, then will have to rebalance again.
    I have done a one-week turnaround to Oz and back just the once. Wasn't too bad out there, but was floored for a week after getting back. And that was business class - my one and only such trip. Barry.
    If they are smart they will be starting to adjust now - increasingly earlier to bed and earlier to rise.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    I'm needing my bed just reading this

Business class or not the general rule of thumb is that a full rebalance of the body clock takes one day per one hour of time-zone change. So they will be rebalanced to Oz time just as they are getting on the plane to come home, then will have to rebalance again.
    I have done a one-week turnaround to Oz and back just the once. Wasn't too bad out there, but was floored for a week after getting back. And that was business class - my one and only such trip. Barry.
    If they are smart they will be starting to adjust now - increasingly earlier to bed and earlier to rise.
    I’ll try and find the video of the last Socceroos WC qualifier play off .
    They played Saturday morning (Sydney time) in Honduras and had to play on Wed here in Sydney .
    The used scientific light altering glasses and had 15 physios on board the flight . Very hi tech and advanced to try and beat the jet lag .

In 2006 when the Aussie’s qualified against Uruguay they used a more devious method .
    The CEO of the FFA who was the one of the richest men in the country simply booked nearly every business class flight out of South America forcing the majority of the Uruguayans to fly economy .
    It obviously had an effect as the Aussies beat the far stronger team( on paper )
    Last edited by Sproule Three; 08-11-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Never gets any easier.
    I’ve lived here for 18 years and travel it every couple of years .
    Only time I wasn’t really jet lagged was when I was over for 21.5.16 .
    I flew Scottish business class ( economy but nae kids in tow , aisle seat and few sleeping tablets )
    Was so buzzing for that 5 days I never really got into any sleep pattern so was easy to adjust on coming back here

Coaching Staff
    Never gets any easier.
    I flew Scottish business class ( economy but nae kids in tow , aisle seat and few sleeping tablets )
    Was so buzzing for that 5 days I never really got into any sleep pattern so was easy to adjust on coming back here
    You mean you HAVE adjusted from that flight??

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Zemmamma and Benji prob closest we’ve had

Never gets any easier.
    Imagine working nightshift then eh? Deary me lol

Boyle wants to get his head out of the Antipodes and more into the Easter Road area because he wasn't very good last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    I do occasionally. Somehow I’m no too bad at adjusting then

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    I’ve done both and trust me the re-adjustment your body needs after an ultra long haul flight is - for some reason - far worse. Last trip there I actually got moved onto night shift then back to day shift. Never had any time to adjust at all, horrible.

Not sure how many game a season our lads will have to play in Oz, but if they were to return on a, say, Thursday (for example) I wouldn’t expect them to be able to play on the Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    I’ve done both and trust me the re-adjustment your body needs after an ultra long haul flight is - for some reason - far worse. Last trip there I actually got moved onto night shift then back to day shift. Never had any time to adjust at all, horrible.

Not sure how many game a season our lads will have to play in Oz, but if they were to return on a, say, Thursday (for example) I wouldn’t expect them to be able to play on the Saturday.
    Rogic, Jedinak and Mooy to name a few all seem to manage it .
    Don’t know how but they do .
    No idea how they perform in comparison to usual level though