hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 115 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wembley stadium April 29th. How about a hibs.net jolly to the smoke?
    Up for that, and I'll bring the smoke.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    In my opinion, she has better ground strokes than the likes of Cilic, and is on par with Nishikori or Wawrinka. Maybe she isn't the force she was, but in her prime I reckon she would hold her own in the top 10 of the men's game.
    No chance she could compete with any of those 3. Not even in her prime.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    No chance she could compete with any of those 3. Not even in her prime.
    Agreed.

She'd probably be about the level of Dan Evans.

In my opinion, she has better ground strokes than the likes of Cilic, and is on par with Nishikori or Wawrinka. Maybe she isn't the force she was, but in her prime I reckon she would hold her own in the top 10 of the men's game.
    It's not just the strokes . It's the fitness, movement, and athleticism. Sexist or not, Serena doesn't come close to those guys.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    I have veered this thread massively off topic - I withdraw all previously stated views about Serena Williams.....apart from the bit about her thighs.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I'm not buying the hype around AJ v Klitshko. WK is what, 41? Won't have fought for 18 months and was poor that night when losing to a very poor world champion. Does he deserve one last chance..... he was a great champion, if a bit dull at times, so yes he does but it's not the defining fight for AJ folk are making out. They seem a bit too pally for it to be a great fight also. Haye v Bellew has me more excited if I'm honest.

Whilst I'm at it, Whyte v Chisora fight of the year? You're having a laugh. Yes it was brutal, exciting and some huge punches landed but not much fitness & very little skill in show. 2 average domestic level fighters who are both an embarrassment to the sport IMHO. It wasn't exact the sweet science Lennox used to talk about.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 11-12-2016 at 11:54 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I'm not buying the hype around AJ v Klitshko. WK is what, 41? Won't have fought for 18 months and was poor that night when losing to a very poor world champion. Does he deserve one last chance..... he was a great champion, if a bit dull at times, so yes he does but it's not the defining fight for AJ folk are making out. They seem a bit too pally for it to be a great fight also. Haye v Bellew has me more excited if I'm honest.

Whilst I'm at it, Whyte v Chisora fight of the year? You're having a laugh. Yes it was brutal, exciting and some huge punches landed but not much fitness & very little skill in show. 2 average domestic level fighters who are both an embarrassment to the sport IMHO. It wasn't exact the sweet science Lennox used to talk about.
    Whyte v Chisora was my favourite fight this year. Very entertaining. Just because they're far from the most talented doesn't mean it can't be the best/most entertaining.

Agree about the AJ v WK fight though. I'm not expecting a great fight there. It'll be a good test for Joshua though, up against a very smart boxer for a change.
    Last edited by easty; 11-12-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I'm not buying the hype around AJ v Klitshko. WK is what, 41? Hasn't fought for 18 months and was poor that night when losing to a junkie nutter. Does he deserve one last chance.....yes but it's not the defining fight for AJ folk are making out. They seem a bit too pally for it to be a great fight also. Hate v Bellew has me more excited if I'm honest.

Joshua v Klitschko should be a great fight I reckon. Even with Klitschko at 41, it's a huge step up from anyone Joshua has faced so far. I reckon Joshua should have enough to beat him, Klitschko's last couple of fights showed a real decline imo and by the time this happens it will have been a year and half since he boxed. A really intriguing fight. Personally, I love the respect shown between the two fighters.

As for Whyte v Chisora, it far exceeded my expectations. It was never going to be a boxing masterclass but it was definitely one of the best heavyweight tear-ups of the last year. I'm not quite sure what you were expecting to be honest? When it first got made I thought the build up would be great, but the fight would be a 12 round hug-fest. I got the first part of that prediction correct and I'm glad to see that the fight did not disappoint.

Don't get me wrong, the fight far exceeded my expectations and was the highlight of the bill, no doubt. Just think they are both very limited fighters and showed next to no skill or fitness for a fight second on the bill at the HW world title show and to be talked about as fight of the year. It was a street brawl.

I also agree the AJ fight is a great step up for him. I hope and think he will, win fairly easily though. It will give him credibility as a real champ. I look forward to him fighting Haye more.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 11-12-2016 at 12:41 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Yeah fair dos. I'm not a huge fan of either fighter myself, but as the saying goes - styles make fights and what they gave last night was as good as we were ever going to see from these two. Evidently, they are both evenly matched.

I think the timing is spot on for Joshua to take this fight. Having Klitchsko on his CV will elevate him to the top of the sport then he can look at the likes of Haye, Wilder etc.

First Team Breakthrough
    Klitchko talking to the croud was a bit cringey i thought, just kept thinking give the mic back to eddie hearn

Quote Originally Posted by kenny.ff View Post
    Klitchko talking to the croud was a bit cringey i thought, just kept thinking give the mic back to eddie hearn
    Aye it was a bit WWE.

Yeh definitely evenly matched and I'll watch the rematch. Hopefully they behave in the build up this time, they shouldn't need to hype it up. Use their energy in getting into better shape.

A fully fit and motivated david haye is really the only dangerous opponent I can see for joshua,think he's too big,fast,young and hungry for wlad not been overly impressed by ortiz there was a lot of hype around him and it seems to be just that,parker is an interesting one don't think anyone knows how good he is,other than that don't think pulev troubles him maybe Wilder.certainly not price,whyte,chisora or any more poor fighters from across the pond he's fought enough of them

Haye might be finished as a heavyweight but we won't know until he fights a real quality fighter (he steamrolls bellew)

Fury is out of the question at the minute and not really a fight I'd like too see fury style doesn't always make for good viewing.

Kind of lost track of what my actual point is but it's along the lines of joshua running out of good opponents definitely think that's why Eddie hearn has signed ortiz and sky have been keeping upto date with parker aswell.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    A fully fit and motivated david haye is really the only dangerous opponent I can see for joshua,think he's too big,fast,young and hungry for wlad not been overly impressed by ortiz there was a lot of hype around him and it seems to be just that,parker is an interesting one don't think anyone knows how good he is,other than that don't think pulev troubles him maybe Wilder.certainly not price,whyte,chisora or any more poor fighters from across the pond he's fought enough of them

Haye might be finished as a heavyweight but we won't know until he fights a real quality fighter (he steamrolls bellew)

Fury is out of the question at the minute and not really a fight I'd like too see fury style doesn't always make for good viewing.

Kind of lost track of what my actual point is but it's along the lines of joshua running out of good opponents definitely think that's why Eddie hearn has signed ortiz and sky have been keeping upto date with parker aswell.
    David haye is done. He will beat bellew but only because of the size difrence. Stick haye in with anyone else and he gets made to look like a joke imo. Passed it now and only trying to get a few big paydays with the least rist

David haye is done. He will beat bellew but only because of the size difrence. Stick haye in with anyone else and he gets made to look like a joke imo. Passed it now and only trying to get a few big paydays with the least rist
    He might well be,but until he has fought a proper good heavyweight we won't know.

Serena Williams would be a top 10 player in the men's game, as she has the strength and technique. You're right we will never know, but I think KT could mix it with the men in the lighter weight categories.

Anyway, now for the serious stuff. Who is winning out of Whyte and Chisora? I say Del Boy inside 8.
    Give me some of what you're smoking mate.

Klitschko is a good fight as it is a huge name at the end of his powers. It gives the fans a big enough fight and it also provides AJ with another step up while not being to the extreme top level yet.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    Klitschko is a good fight as it is a huge name at the end of his powers. It gives the fans a big enough fight and it also provides AJ with another step up while not being to the extreme top level yet.
    Agreed. A winnable fight which will silence some of the critics and give him some valuable experience at the top level. If he gets the win then the hype can be somewhat justified, especially if he does it in style with a stoppage.

Klitschko is past it for me, 41 years old and by the time April comes around he wouldn't have fought in about 14/15 months? I just don't think he can let his hands go anymore, he managed about 10 punches against Fury although Joshua and Fury are completely different fighters.

Testimonial Due
    I see Chris Eubank Jr has moved up to super middleweight for his next fight in early 2017. It's against Renold Quinlan (nope, haven't heard of him either) and it will be on ITV pay per view. Baffling to say the least when he's achieved **** all so far at middleweight. I think his career is being very poorly managed.
    Last edited by #FromTheCapital; 13-12-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    I see Chris Eubank Jr has moved up to super middleweight for his next fight in early 2017. It's against Renold Quinlan (nope, haven't heard of him either) and it will be on ITV pay per view. Baffling to say the least when he's achieved **** all so far at middleweight. I think his career is being very poorly managed.
    Had never heard of the guy either had a wee look doesn't seem to have fought outside Australia only had 12 fights and lost one for the Australian title,beat Daniel geale last time for the IBO title.which is clearly why Eubank is fighting him he's looking for the easiest way too a world title.

I agree he's been poorly managed so far plenty big names and fights out there for him but seems to take the easiest option
    I think he thought saunders was any easy option and came unstuck.
    Itv box office is new one to me aswell seems that everyone wants to be on ppv now.better be a good undercard cos they will struggle to sell this they would be better having this one on free to air 1st and see how viewing figures and appetite goes for the future be good too see boxing back on ITV.they do seem to be bring different sports back too itv seeing as they are bringing back world of sport over Xmas.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    Strange move if he has any aspirations of being a world champion, Degale, Jack, Smith and Groves etc would all spark him out, he'd have been better off staying a middleweight as GGG can't have too many fights left then trying to pick up one of those belts might be a better option

The advice he gets off his old man will ruin him, he's a grown man now and it's no excuse anymore

Josh taylor confirmed on the undercard of Frampton-Santa Cruz in Vegas on January 28th. What an experience the laddie has gained already. Edinburgh, Belfast, Manchester, Vegas, El Paso, Cardiff and New York, all before he has even had 10 fights!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Anyone watching the fights of the year programme on sky? This year has seen some really cracking matchups. Tony Bellew comes across as a decent knowledgeable guy.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    Yeah watched that recently. There has been some decent fights in 2016, watching those highlights of the Whyte v Chisora fight really brought home how much of a good fight it was. Likewise, it really showed how much of a mismatch Brook v GGG was. And Anthony Joshua hasn't even been out of first gear all year long with the poor standard of opponent he's faced, big year coming up for him.

Should be a big year coming up. With itv now back in the frame
    They've announced there 1st show 27th of January I think be good for boxers to have different options available to them.
    Brook vs khan looks to be goer this time.
    Rumours of burns getting a unification bout with Juluis indongo the current ibf and IBO champion.
    Can't say I've seen him,anyone?

Plenty other big fights already made
    I'm guessing quigg and crolla will get title shots this year all 4 smith brothers probably will,dillian whyte might,groves also looks likely too get the WBA title shot.

If Frampton beats santa cruz again I'd quite like him vs Selby later in the year.

What's everyone else looking forward to, or any fights you'd like too see in 2017?

Testimonial Due
    Brook v khan looking likely, would love to see that and I think Brook wins. GGG v Canelo pencilled for September as well, that should be a cracker.

Parker v Hughie Fury seems to be on the table for April. Talks well underway apparently.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Parker v Hughie Fury seems to be on the table for April. Talks well underway apparently.
    That would be a good fight for Fury, it's definitely his easiest route for a world title, will be interesting to see how they both do, Parker is still relatively unproven imo