hibs.net Messageboard

Could the Yams do a Kilmarnock?

Early days but they're looking the "best of the rest". 5th place a real possibility this season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    They'll be fighting for third, along with Aberdeen and ourselves come next spring. Can honestly see Rangers getting a comfortable second.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Early days but they're looking the "best of the rest". 5th place a real possibility this season.
    Almost certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Not sure they can.

Steve Clarke had Killie solid at the back AND lightning fast on the attack, playing the ball through the fullbacks & midfield to two wingers (Jones & Brophy).

I'm not sure Levein's Hearts will be able to sustain the 1-0 wins that include getting away with breaking the Motherwell goalie's leg (in the process of scoring) and benefitting from phantom red cards (in the Hearts v Killie game).

The Killie of 2017/18 had a lot more variety about them, and deserved their 5th place finish. Not sure hearts have a plan B when the rub of the green starts going against them.

Hearts will be top 6, but 5th may be a stretch for them

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Not sure they can.

Steve Clarke had Killie solid at the back AND lightning fast on the attack, playing the ball through the fullbacks & midfield to two wingers (Jones & Brophy).

I'm not sure Levein's Hearts will be able to sustain the 1-0 wins that include getting away with breaking the Motherwell goalie's leg (in the process of scoring) and benefitting from phantom red cards (in the Hearts v Killie game).

The Killie of 2017/18 had a lot more variety about them, and deserved their 5th place finish. Not sure hearts have a plan B when the rub of the green starts going against them.

Hearts will be top 6, but 5th may be a stretch for them
    I think they could potentially be third, along with a couple of other teams, including us. The league is poor quality and there isn't much between most teams.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I think they could potentially be third, along with a couple of other teams, including us. The league is poor quality and there isn't much between most teams.
    I actually think we have a good league this season...Killie looked good yesterday, they'll have a decent season. Hearts have a strong squad and will do well, St Johnstone much improved. We will get stronger as the season goes on, Rangers are better, Livi will take points, Celtic weaker..think we actually may have teams taking points of each other..and it will be competitive..looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We need to concentrate on ourselves and make sure we win games like Dundee away which is the sort of game we have slipped up on in the past.

What others do we have no bearing on, except when we play them.

Hearts are just getting all of their wins for the season out the way early. They'll win about 2 after January.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Early days but from what Ive seen I can't see Aberdeen pushing top 4 and more likely to be fighting it out with killie for 5th/6th. Would think then we will be competing for 2nd-4th with Rangers and Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    We need to concentrate on ourselves and make sure we win games like Dundee away which is the sort of game we have slipped up on in the past.

What others do we have no bearing on, except when we play them.
    Agree, every week is a different challenge for us, Im hoping we are still improving and can build up some steam. Time for worrying about Yams is when we play them..

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    league certainly isn't poor quality been as strong as it has been for 10 years.

I think the thread is intended as sarcasm, after yesterday's 'Leicester' thread.

Very early but Celtic looking very beatable, Rangers clearly stronger and I haven't seen Hearts but off to a flyer (unfortunately!) - hard to say if a fluke or if htye really are a lot stronger- suspect the truth leis in between the two. Aberdeen look quite a bit weaker and I don't think Killie will be in the mix next spring. As for us, I think the jury is out to be honest. Don't take that as a negative. Given we have an entirely new midfield I think we have shown we remain pretty competitive but we do look a bit brittle and perhaps lost a bit of creativity. So much depends on our new blood gelling and getting tighter in defence.

Celtic have to be favourites, but if we, or any one else can be consistent- they could be run close.

Unless it involves hibs I couldn't care what they do tbh. They've got off to a great start, we would be raving about it as well if we'd won all 5 of our games so far. I can't see them going the distance and winning the league but they will have a good season IMO.

I'm more concerned about our start, good win yesterday but other than that its not been good enough. Hopefully now that we have injured players back we can kick on.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Was gonna post the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Unless it involves hibs I couldn't care what they do tbh. They've got off to a great start, we would be raving about it as well if we'd won all 5 of our games so far. I can't see them going the distance and winning the league but they will have a good season IMO.

I'm more concerned about our start, good win yesterday but other than that its not been good enough. Hopefully now that we have injured players back we can kick on.
    Why has is not been good enough?? Granted the Livi disaster but other than that we've had a decent start all things considered....not to mention the euro run?? Bar the Livi game I don't see where we haven't been good enough tbh??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post

Exactly. I think our start hasnt been great and on the basis so far Hearts would finish 2nd or 3rd. Celtic will strengthen in January and i see them winning the league with the rest of us too close to call tbh

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    I've heard a few folk saying this, yet I'm unconvinced. Rangers signings are mostly unknown players to most folk; Hearts likewise. We have Livingston, who have experienced back to back promotions, and St Mirren. Both ourselves and Celtic look weaker on paper. Perhaps there has been some marginal strengthening overall, and perhaps not, but I still think the SPFL remains a poor league.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    Exactly. I think our start hasnt been great and on the basis so far Hearts would finish 2nd or 3rd. Celtic will strengthen in January and i see them winning the league with the rest of us too close to call tbh
    Correct. Celtic can bring in quality to get them across the line. I reckon Hearts will run them close until the last few weeks. They've a large squad to sustain injuries.

It's hard to say how we'll do, as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Correct. Celtic can bring in quality to get them across the line. I reckon Hearts will run them close until the last few weeks. They've a large squad to sustain injuries.

It's hard to say how we'll do, as ever.
    I'd be amazed if they did; I can't see them lasting the pace. The Rangers might give Celtic a challenge, but Celtic will be less complacent when they have to put some work in.

Left by mutual consent!
    I've heard a few folk saying this, yet I'm unconvinced. Rangers signings are mostly unknown players to most folk; Hearts likewise. We have Livingston, who have experienced back to back promotions, and St Mirren. Both ourselves and Celtic look weaker on paper. Perhaps there has been some marginal strengthening overall, and perhaps not, but I still think the SPFL remains a poor league.
    I'm inclined to agree. The fact there are so many teams of similar ability bunched in there doesn't necessarily make it a strong league. It might make it more competitive but the standard overall is diluted IMHO and it's more a case of Celtic stagnating and coming back to the pack rather than other sides becoming significantly better. Celtic's declining performances in Europe are a good barometer of this. As I've said on another thread, the fact Hearts can parachute in an entire new first team squad (containing a good number of lower league players from England who seem to have adapted comfortably to the supposedly higher standard of the SPL) and gain so much instant traction makes you wonder how much there is to be gained by trying to build a team over a number of years.

I'm possibly being too harsh as it's early days but so far I'm not seeing much to make me think this is an especially strong league.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. The fact there are so many teams of similar ability bunched in there doesn't necessarily make it a strong league. It might make it more competitive but the standard overall is diluted IMHO and it's more a case of Celtic stagnating and coming back to the pack rather than other sides becoming significantly better. Celtic's declining performances in Europe are a good barometer of this. As I've said on another thread, the fact Hearts can parachute in an entire new first team squad (containing a good number of lower league players from England who seem to have adapted comfortably to the supposedly higher standard of the SPL) and gain so much instant traction makes you wonder how much there is to be gained by trying to build a team over a number of years.

I'm possibly being too harsh as it's early days but so far I'm not seeing much to make me think this is an especially strong league.
    Hamilton and Livi struggle to get over a thousand spectators to games.
    St Mirren, I think, get 2-3K.
    Killie, Dundee, St Johnstone and Motherwell around 4k.

I agree, it could be more competitive this season, but that doesn't necessarily mean the league is stronger. I'm not convinced much has changed; time will tell.

It depends on what you are comparing it to. The EPL? The Spanish top league? Then yes - relatively it is a poor league.

Rangers signings being unknown to most doesn't make for a poor league. Some of Celtic's more successful signings were unknown to most. Some of our better signings were unheard of until we signed them. Kamberi?

The post you quoted was comparing the league to itself over the past ten years. The reason it is better now is that we rarely have a time where ourselves, Aberdeen, and Hearts are all firing at the same time. All with real pretentions of finishing third (or better). All with decent quality throughout their squads and top drawer coaches. Then you look at the coaches at Motherwell, St. Johnstone, and Well. Hungry, capable, and all fielding teams that will trouble the top 6.

The league isn't poor because it is compacted. The league is compacted because there are no mugs in the top 8 sides. It is more competitive than when first and second were a foregone conclusion and the best of the rest was apparent quite quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    It depends on what you are comparing it to. The EPL? The Spanish top league? Then yes - relatively it is a poor league.

Rangers signings being unknown to most doesn't make for a poor league. Some of Celtic's more successful signings were unknown to most. Some of our better signings were unheard of until we signed them. Kamberi?

The post you quoted was comparing the league to itself over the past ten years. The reason it is better now is that we rarely have a time where ourselves, Aberdeen, and Hearts are all firing at the same time. All with real pretentions of finishing third (or better). All with decent quality throughout their squads and top drawer coaches. Then you look at the coaches at Motherwell, St. Johnstone, and Well. Hungry, capable, and all fielding teams that will trouble the top 6.

The league isn't poor because it is compacted. The league is compacted because there are no mugs in the top 8 sides. It is more competitive than when first and second were a foregone conclusion and the best of the rest was apparent quite quickly.

I think we also currently have a number of very small clubs which are operating on a tiny budget. Livi, Hamilton and St Mirren aren't really an upgrade on Dundee United, Partick and ICT, IMO. I don't think us, Celtic or Aberdeen are as strong as last season, and the jury is still out on Hearts and Rangers. IMHO, still little to get excited about in the SPFL. What will happen at Rangers is obviously the big story, but I'm not convinced the league is better than it has been for ten years. If it's improved, it can only be marginally so. If clubs do take more points from each other, that isn't necessarily due to a higher standard; it could just mean squads are more evenly matched.