hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Spain

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar

Spain

Seen loads La Liga last 3 yrs, seein national team destroyin Croatia the nite, opinion is if they got fitba heeds on & played their league games like their playin the nite the EPL would be history! When they stay on their feet they’re light years ahead of the oppo! Unfortunately loads games is individuals “trying to take advantage of situation “ but when these boys just open up & play- instead of league simulation stuff- brilliant!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seen loads La Liga last 3 yrs, seein national team destroyin Croatia the nite, opinion is if they got fitba heeds on & played their league games like their playin the nite the EPL would be history! When they stay on their feet they’re light years ahead of the oppo! Unfortunately loads games is individuals “trying to take advantage of situation “ but when these boys just open up & play- instead of league simulation stuff- brilliant!
    You're spot on. 100% agree.

First Team Breakthrough
    I had Spain to win the World Cup in the summer aswell haha

First Team Breakthrough
    Quite a changed team to who were playing in the World Cup

The EPL wouldn't be history because it has massive appeal in Asia, Indian and China. Spanish football maybe be better, German football is better in my opinion yet English football is promoted by Sky to have a global audience and that audience is not going to simply abandon English clubs. I recently watched a clip of Liverpool playing a friendly in Australia, there was 90,000 fans at the game mostly Liverpool fans very very few with connections to the city but fans nonetheless. The demise of the EPL is still just wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    The EPL wouldn't be history because it has massive appeal in Asia, Indian and China. Spanish football maybe be better, German football is better in my opinion yet English football is promoted by Sky to have a global audience and that audience is not going to simply abandon English clubs. I recently watched a clip of Liverpool playing a friendly in Australia, there was 90,000 fans at the game mostly Liverpool fans very very few with connections to the city but fans nonetheless. The demise of the EPL is still just wishful thinking.
    One reason that the Premier League gets better TV audiences in the Middle and Far East is the earlier kick off time for most matches. A 3:00 PM match in the UK corresponds to around 6:00 PM in the Middle East and 10:00 PM in Singapore or Beijing.

A 8:45 match in Spain would be on at 10:45 in Dubai or 01:45 in Singapore.

The Spanish League have moved some way to address these issues but they are still behind.

Apart from anything else, the Spanish League lacks depth. The likes of Barca, Real and Atletico are top teams by any measure but by the time you get to the bottom half of the table, the quality is not hat high.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    One reason that the Premier League gets better TV audiences in the Middle and Far East is the earlier kick off time for most matches. A 3:00 PM match in the UK corresponds to around 6:00 PM in the Middle East and 10:00 PM in Singapore or Beijing.

A 8:45 match in Spain would be on at 10:45 in Dubai or 01:45 in Singapore.

The Spanish League have moved some way to address these issues but they are still behind.

Apart from anything else, the Spanish League lacks depth. The likes of Barca, Real and Atletico are top teams by any measure but by the time you get to the bottom half of the table, the quality is not hat high.
    Regards to your last paragraph, the quality in the bottom half of the EPL is chronic aswell. The players may be paid a lot but teams like Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield etc are murder.

The Spanish league also has Sevilla who are probably on a par with the top teams in England outwith whoever wins the league - they knocked Man Utd out last year and win the Europa League more often than not it feels like, while Real Madrid and Barcelona are better than anything England has had to offer for years.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Real Madrid and Barcelona are better than anything England has had to offer for years.
    Not quite. We'll never know and its if's, but's and maybes but I reckon if Ramos hadn't done the damage on Mo Sallah, the result would have been a very different affair...even then it was 3-1 and that wasn't down to a star inspiring performance by real Madrid; it was down to some stupid **** ups and Karius played no small part in that. Who knows but it was no simple training exercise and I think that gulf is closing between Spanish and English clubs.

Regards to your last paragraph, the quality in the bottom half of the EPL is chronic aswell. The players may be paid a lot but teams like Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield etc are murder.

The Spanish league also has Sevilla who are probably on a par with the top teams in England outwith whoever wins the league - they knocked Man Utd out last year and win the Europa League more often than not it feels like, while Real Madrid and Barcelona are better than anything England has had to offer for years.
    Completely agree. I think this every time someone hits me with the 'outside Barca and Madrid' argument, as if the English Premier League is full of all-star quality.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

half of the epl teams would struggle in spain, take the top 5/6 teams out that league then its bang average

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    Not quite. We'll never know and its if's, but's and maybes but I reckon if Ramos hadn't done the damage on Mo Sallah, the result would have been a very different affair...even then it was 3-1 and that wasn't down to a star inspiring performance by real Madrid; it was down to some stupid **** ups and Karius played no small part in that. Who knows but it was no simple training exercise and I think that gulf is closing between Spanish and English clubs.
    That was a one off game and even then, Real Madrid deserved it on the night IMO. Real Madrid and Barcelona have won 7 Champions Leagues between them in the last 9 years. English teams haven’t won any for over 10 years. The stats would certainly suggest that Real and Barca are much better than anything England has to offer and I’d personally expect one of them to win it again (probably numerous times between them) before any English team wins it.