hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The more Mercer songs the better. The man was a complete **** who had he got his way we would’ve been wiped out as a club.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The more Mercer songs the better. The man was a complete **** who had he got his way we would’ve been wiped out as a club.
    He was a detestable individual and not just for his hearts connections and what he tried to do to us. He is up there with Margaret Thatcher as someone who I can honestly say I was quite happy to hear about news of their deaths, I had the misfortune to live through both of there existences. BUT.....BUT we don't need to be singing songs about him. We have got loads of songs about our team, about our players, about our club lets stick with them and get the ground bouncing. I would guess that there would not be too many folk who would join in with the mercer song but get the club songs, player songs going and you will get more people joining in

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Someone give me the lyrics for the Wallace mercer islands in the stream tune
    That song was made up by a boy at the back of St Pauli Bus 2, and you defo do not want the lyrics. It's a class tune tho!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I'm a huge fan of the singing section - they do a brilliant job and I bet a lot of other club supporters (Hearts) wish they had ones like our lot.

The song book has been brilliant over recent years, but admittedly can't buy into the current Mercer one. Lets sing about our club or rivals in general rather than dead men.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the singing section - they do a brilliant job and I bet a lot of other club supporters (Hearts) wish they had ones like our lot.

The song book has been brilliant over recent years, but admittedly can't buy into the current Mercer one. Lets sing about our club or rivals in general rather than dead men.
    Why do you always have to bring it back to Hearts? Can't you post once without comparing us to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Why do you always have to bring it back to Hearts? Can't you post once without comparing us to them?

I don't stalk him enough to know if he always posts about hertz, but...he has a point here.
    Given the singing section are representing Hibs fans in general, and this one is so divisive, probably makes sense to drop it?

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    I don't stalk him enough to know if he always posts about hertz, but...he has a point here.
    Given the singing section are representing Hibs fans in general, and this one is so divisive, probably makes sense to drop it?
    That is a whoosh but I'll give you it as an obscure one!

The Ryan Porteous song is even less appropriate, but brilliant none the less.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    There is a certain irony in the fact that it took the actions of Wallace Mercer and his desire to eliminate Hibs from the footballing map to ultimately ensure that this club will never again fall into the hands of charlatans or speculators in the manner it had in the late 1980s and was the catalyst for the emergence of as reliable and steady a majority shareholder as there is in the Scottish footballing world.

That is not to say Mercer is to be thanked for where we find Hibernian today, but equally the humility and compassion that form just two of the traits that this club was founded upon mean that I will never revel in his death or suffering. Hibs survived and got stronger; much stronger and continue to do so to this day. That is enough for me and it should be enough for those who sing these songs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    That song was made up by a boy at the back of St Pauli Bus 2, and you defo do not want the lyrics. It's a class tune tho!

It’s not one I’ll be singing but I can see why others would.
    Without defending the song , it’s composition was hilarious, you probably had to be there to understand why something in such bad taste was so funny.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    He was a detestable individual and not just for his hearts connections and what he tried to do to us. He is up there with Margaret Thatcher as someone who I can honestly say I was quite happy to hear about news of their deaths, I had the misfortune to live through both of there existences. BUT.....BUT we don't need to be singing songs about him. We have got loads of songs about our team, about our players, about our club lets stick with them and get the ground bouncing. I would guess that there would not be too many folk who would join in with the mercer song but get the club songs, player songs going and you will get more people joining in
    I think you've just articulated my feelings better than I could. I don't want to hear the man's name mentioned at any Hibs game I attend. He's deid - let's leave him there.

I definitely want to know the words to that one. I actually can't hear much of the singing section which is odd but I can't really see them either as my seat in the West doesn't allow me to see the Famous Five fans (I even missed the Natural Order banner)

Go on?...

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    saw the march to the ground on fb, looked good

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Go on?...
    I saw it on twitter. It was to the tune of baby bird you’re gorgeous. The line about taking me to your rented motor car, had a bit about taking illegal substances off the bonnet.
    It started like this
    Remember that hibs top you bought me
    you wrote Porteous on it
    you took me to your rented motor car
    and we did something illegal of the bonnet
    heres the original, I’ll leave you to fill in the blanks

https://youtu.be/kcRpGpsFI5I

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    I’m not going to read through 136 posts to find out what the debate is but my opinion is that the singing section have really added to the atmosphere at Easter Road and when section 43 also get involved, it’s great. I sit in the West Lower and those sections really improve the experience for me.

Some songs are keek but who cares!

I saw it on twitter. It was to the tune of baby bird you’re gorgeous. The line about taking me to your rented motor car, had a bit about taking illegal substances off the bonnet.
    It started like this
    Remember that hibs top you bought me
    you wrote Porteous on it
    you took me to your rented motor car
    and we did something illegal of the bonnet
    heres the original, I’ll leave you to fill in the blanks

https://youtu.be/kcRpGpsFI5I
    Didn’t realise there was a verse to it, knew about the chorus which is brilliant.

Because you’re Porteous,
    I’d do anything for you

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Didn’t realise there was a verse to it, knew about the chorus which is brilliant.

Because you’re Porteous,
    I’d do anything for you
    I can’t find the video on twitter. It was fans on a bus singing it, I think they were on their way to the Asteras game over in Greece.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It’s not one I’ll be singing but I can see why others would.
    Without defending the song , it’s composition was hilarious, you probably had to be there to understand why something in such bad taste was so funny.
    The boy in question also has a half decent voice TBF. Quite funny as he sang it himself until others caught on to what he was singing and then ten minutes later the whole bus was rockin it, absolutely hilarious.

I think we need a song book thread. The more widely known the lyrics for song are then obviously the more Hibees can join in and improve that atmosphere
    Last edited by badabing67; 10-08-2018 at 09:42 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milkinho View Post
    why do you always have to bring it back to hearts? Can't you post once without comparing us to them?

Sent from my sm-g950f using tapatalk
    ltyf.

Would have been dead if not for the singing section.

Nervy energy but then it was broken when the boy behind mes phone went off clear as day and he was able to have a chat with his Mrs as if he was at the bloody snooker.

Didn't help it masel likes just saying

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I hate the man that much, i'm having it played at my funeral.
    We'll all be there for it.

Dress code ?

My tuppence worth: Blackpool and Bunberry appear to have the same opinion of mercer as I do, and I fully endorse celebrating the horrible ***** demise.

FYI-I watched my mother die of cancer. It's a horrible disease that can strike anybody. Tragically it more often than not affects the good people we know and care about.

BUT that doesn't mean that everyone it does kill retrospectively should be given a halo.

Mercer was/is/and always will be a horrible **** in my opinion - regardless of what he died of.

Back on topic: the guys/gals in the signing section have my backing.
    Though from my position in the East (back row, half way line) I can barely hear or see them in their wee corner.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jabis View Post
    We'll all be there for it.

Dress code ?
    Hibs scarfs but nothing else, wouldn't want it to be weird.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I hate the man that much, i'm having it played at my funeral.
    Pm me the lyrics

First Team Breakthrough
    It wasn't that long ago we only sung Hibees Hibees Hibees and Hail Hail.
    The number of songs these guys have brought to the party in the past few years has been tremendous.
    Some of them are clearly talented whether it be the actual song writing or composition , rythm or just sheer humour .

Remember at the PBS when we sung Hibs Hibs whoa Hibs Hibs for about 15 minutes solid ? No way that would have happened without them .

I personally think they are tremendous and must be the envy of other clubs fans.

I'm also not keen on the cancer references either but completely understand the hatred towards mercer although puzzled how anyone shy of 40 something could understand that feeling.

Keep up the great work guys .

That Hibs in Europe song is also tremendous .
    It doesn't even sound like it should fit but it does brilliantly .

The Bartley song too :-) Take a bow whoever came up with that . It's bloody brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    I'm also not keen on the cancer references either but completely understand the hatred towards mercer although puzzled how anyone shy of 40 something could understand that feeling.
    You don’t have to have actually lived through it for the idea of Hibs being killed off by the chairman of our arch rivals to anger and upset you. In the same way young people can still hate Thatcher for the effect she had on older generations, our parents and loved ones, and the effects it had on this country even to this day. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead got to the top of the charts!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    You don’t have to have actually lived through it for the idea of Hibs being killed off by the chairman of our arch rivals to anger and upset you. In the same way young people can still hate Thatcher for the effect she had on older generations, our parents and loved ones, and the effects it had on this country even to this day. Ding Dong the Witch is Dead got to the top of the charts!
    Will never forget the feeling when the news broke. In those days i went to every game, i was 22 and Hibs were everything to me. I and hundreds of fans just stood outside ER because we did not know what to do. Meetings were held in the Hibs Club, led by the late Kenny McLean and plans of action agreed. Hands of Hibs t-shirts were made (John Leslie wore one on Blue Peter) and the movement grew. I thought more direct action was called for so we went to his house in the dead of night. My pal was a painter so we had a bucket of wallpaper paste. We covered the walls to his house in Hands of Hibs posters and when we left it looked like a bomb site. His maroon Jag (XX1) was lucky ! He totally freaked. Phoned the Hibs Club soon after and said "Call off your dogs i am pulling out." Dark times but we survived and i and many others will never forget what he tried to do to us.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Would have been dead if not for the singing section.

Nervy energy but then it was broken when the boy behind mes phone went off clear as day and he was able to have a chat with his Mrs as if he was at the bloody snooker.

Didn't help it masel likes just saying

I thought the East Stand were very noisy at times. I actually prefer their singing, as the stand around them (and some in other stands) actually join in.

The FF Singing Section can be very good, but they often seem very isolated and unconnected to the rest of the stands.