hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure that's right. Was he actually convicted of murder?
    "Is the former football hero Orenthal James Simpson a murderer? A civil jury found it more likely than not that he caused the death of his ex-wife and her friend. A criminal jury was unable to find beyond a reasonable doubt that O.J. committed first degree murder. Legally, the outcomes do not contradict each other."

There. That clears things up.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    As far as I remember, yes. Civil court has a lower standard of proof. He had to pay massive damages.
    I'm not sure you are convicted of murder unless you are successfully prosecuted on a murder charge. Anything in a civil court is different precisely because of the lower burden of proof and because civil court serves a different purpose. Presumably this is roughly the difference between responsibility and liability?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    "Is the former football hero Orenthal James Simpson a murderer? A civil jury found it more likely than not that he caused the death of his ex-wife and her friend. A criminal jury was unable to find beyond a reasonable doubt that O.J. committed first degree murder. Legally, the outcomes do not contradict each other."

There. That clears things up.

Err, no it doesn't. They do not contradict each other but nonetheless he is not a convicted murderer.

I'm not sure you are convicted of murder unless you are successfully prosecuted on a murder charge. Anything in a civil court is different precisely because of the lower burden of proof and because civil court serves a different purpose. Presumably this is roughly the difference between responsibility and liability?
    Semantics, shemantics.

He's been convicted on hibs.net.

That's all you need to know.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Err, no it doesn't. They do not contradict each other but nonetheless he is not a convicted murderer.
    I was being ironic.

Or was it sarcastic?

Gamer IDs

Semantics, shemantics.

We've ALL been convicted on hibs.net Mr Radge. I myself have been found to be a Yoon, Happy Clapping, FoH donating, unambitious, Board apologist. At least two of these things are true.

Gamer IDs

I was being ironic.

Or was it sarcastic?
    I don't know, I don't have a degree in English...

@hibs.net private member
    The thing is, it really couldn't just be anyone.

The likelihood of anyone I know paying someone not to publicise a rape allegation is extremely remote.
    Exactly. Of course no one on here knows 100% if Ronaldo is guilty but having read the article in full and his response, I'm strongly inclined to believe his accuser.

Its scary how often stuff like this happens and people are more worried about the miniscule number of cases where false allegations are made rather than the enormous number of rapes that go unreported or unpunished.

After Saville, Weinstein, Trump, Cosby etc we really need to learn some lessons.

We've ALL been convicted on hibs.net Mr Radge. I myself have been found to be a Yoon, Happy Clapping, FoH donating, unambitious, Board apologist. At least two of these things are true.
    You're a deep and complicated man, ODS. You should do something about that.

Superficiality is the way forward, er, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Exactly. Of course no one on here knows 100% if Ronaldo is guilty but having read the article in full and his response, I'm strongly inclined to believe his accuser.

Its scary how often stuff like this happens and people are more worried about the miniscule number of cases where false allegations are made rather than the enormous number of rapes that go unreported or unpunished.

After Saville, Weinstein, Trump, Cosby etc we really need to learn some lessons.
    I don't think anyone is more worried about anything, you've just made that up. Given it's the Ronaldo accusations we're discussing, most of the chat is going to be around his case. It doesn't matter how "miniscule" the number of false allegations are - they have horrible consequences for those wrongfully accused.

You can be strongly inclined whichever way you want, but don't accuse those of us withholding judgement of not being "worried" enough about victims of rape.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar

Where 1 in 4 has a conviction?

Why an innocent man would pay a woman not to say anything if nothing untoward happened, baffles me.

If someone asked me for money or they'd grass me for something I didn't do, my first thought would be to go to the police to complain about being blackmailed.

It's a surprise that more people, men and women, haven't tried to extort cash out of Ronaldo, and Trump, when all they have to do is threaten to make something damaging up.

Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    One is dead, one is about to be tried, and one is using every trick in the book to avoid answering direct questions.

Are you suggesting that because Saville got away with his crimes, he wasn't guilty of them?

Semantics, shemantics.

I convicted him after watching American Crime Story.

Why an innocent man would pay a woman not to say anything if nothing untoward happened, baffles me.

If someone asked me for money or they'd grass me for something I didn't do, my first thought would be to go to the police to complain about being blackmailed.

It's a surprise that more people, men and women, haven't tried to extort cash out of Ronaldo, and Trump, when all they have to do is threaten to make something damaging up.
    Interesting point actually HR. Thought still doesn't make the guy guilty (appreciate you're not suggesting it does).

I guess, in theory, some are in more of a position to take advantage because they've been seen with the accused, or may well have slept with him etc etc.. as opposed to some random punter who wants to make a quick buck but has never crossed paths with the guy and hasn't a leg to stand on.

I wonder how many people who have actually got to know Ronaldo would have it in them to try and make money in such a way? I'd like to folk there's a very small percentage of people who would make-up such allegations, and then obviously an even smaller amount who would be in a position to take advantage.

All hypothetically speaking and not specifically about Ronaldo's current accuser by the way.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    this is a perfect example of the point that’s been made a few times on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Interesting point actually HR. Thought still doesn't make the guy guilty (appreciate you're not suggesting it does).

I guess, in theory, some are in more of a position to take advantage because they've been seen with the accused, or may well have slept with him etc etc.. as opposed to some random punter who wants to make a quick buck but has never crossed paths with the guy and hasn't a leg to stand on.

I wonder how many people who have actually got to know Ronaldo would have it in them to try and make money in such a way? I'd like to folk there's a very small percentage of people who would make-up such allegations, and then obviously an even smaller amount who would be in a position to take advantage.

All hypothetically speaking and not specifically about Ronaldo's current accuser by the way.
    I do think it's a tiny proportion.

The thing that disturbs me is that when any high profile person is accused of a sex crime, a significant number of people immediately blame the woman for gold digging and ruining an innocent man's life.

I don't know what happened between CR7 and the woman, but from reading the reports of what subsequently happened and what Ronaldo himself said, it doesn't look at all good for him.

It has everything to do with the allegations. Do you really think a player can just decide not to "waste energy" because it's just a Nations League game?

That would mean Ronaldo was bigger than his national football federation. No chance.

In any case, if he'd been left out for any reason other than the allegations, they'd be at pains to point it out.

Instead their statement reads; "Earlier on Thursday the Portugal national football team’s announced it was leaving its captain out of its next two games came after police in Las Vegas announced they were re-opening their investigation into Ms Mayorga's claim.

Ronaldo will miss Portugal’s second game in the Uefa Nations League in Poland next Thursday and a friendly match in Glasgow against Scotland three days later.

Fernando Santos, Portugal's coach, said Ronaldo would also not be called up for the next round of international games in November.

Mr Santos said the decision was taken after a discussion between himself, Ronaldo and the head of the Portuguese football federation.

“We agreed the player wouldn’t be available, wouldn’t be an option for selection,” Mr Santos said. “For the next two squad selections, this one and the one next month, Ronaldo won’t be with us.”
    "Do you really think a player can just decide not to "waste energy" because it's just a Nations League game?"

That's what happened for their last fixtures so yes

Testimonial Due
    I do think it's a tiny proportion.

The thing that disturbs me is that when any high profile person is accused of a sex crime, a significant number of people immediately blame the woman for gold digging and ruining an innocent man's life.

I don't know what happened between CR7 and the woman, but from reading the reports of what subsequently happened and what Ronaldo himself said, it doesn't look at all good for him.
    Not only what Ronaldo said at the time, but the fact his lawyers apparently tried to hide it afterwards does raise a lot more doubt than the usual he said/she said

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    "Do you really think a player can just decide not to "waste energy" because it's just a Nations League game?"

That's what happened for their last fixtures so yes
    Why do you think they didn't use that excuse for these games?

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    One is dead, one is about to be tried, and one is using every trick in the book to avoid answering direct questions.

Are you suggesting that because Saville got away with his crimes, he wasn't guilty of them?
    I'm saying that it is a rocky road to go down 'convicting' people because someone makes an accusation.

I do think saville was guilty. Not sure about Ronaldo, so people 'reading accounts' and deciding one way or another is dangerous.
    There almost doesn't need to be a trial as people have made there own minds up ala OJ case.

@hibs.net private member

Fair enough. He still had to pay up, because they found that the evidence pointed to him having done it.

Apparently being dead when the cases were brought to light is a sign of innocence.

I'm saying that it is a rocky road to go down 'convicting' people because someone makes an accusation.

I do think saville was guilty. Not sure about Ronaldo, so people 'reading accounts' and deciding one way or another is dangerous.
    There almost doesn't need to be a trial as people have made there own minds up ala OJ case.
    I haven't read anyone saying that Ronaldo is guilty. I have read people saying that the woman us at it and a gold digger.

He is definitely not a convicted murderer but he is most probably a murderer.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    this dirty **** is having to pay for getting his seedy little way, thank goodness for civil cases

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-45760372

A woman has won £80,000 in damages from a man who had been cleared of raping her after a night out in Fife.

The woman, who cannot be named, had sued Stephen Coxen, who is now 23, from Bury in Greater Manchester

The second year student said she was raped after a night out in St Andrews in 2013 by Mr Coxen, who she had met earlier in the evening.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    He is definitely not a convicted murderer but he is most probably a murderer.

That's kind of the point I was trying to make, if I really had one.

Enjoy your day out tomorrow, assuming you are going.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    There's no way that I would pay 1 pence to someone who accused me of something I didn't do. Not just out of principle but also because paying someone to shut up is not an admission of guilt but it's what a guilty person who's scared would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    There's no way that I would pay 1 pence to someone who accused me of something I didn't do. Not just out of principle but also because paying someone to shut up is not an admission of guilt but it's what a guilty person who's scared would do.
    It’s also what someone with pots of cash, lucrative sponsorship deals and a team of advisers would do. So who knows?

That's kind of the point I was trying to make, if I really had one.

Enjoy your day out tomorrow, assuming you are going.
    Marching? I haven’t been on a march since the poll tax! In Portugal on hols till Sunday anyway.