hibs.net Messageboard

Musselburgh Racecourse

Has lost it's license to stage racing as per a statement from the BHA today. As of now the next fixture on 14th July and all subsequent fixtures can't go ahead.

The BHA have been seeking an independent review into governance of the course for some time and the Musselburgh Joint Racing Committee has consistently refused this. There are 7 members on the MjRC, 4 of whom are members of East Lothian Council who have a fixed majority. They know any independent review will recommend an end to this and are resisting it. They have had the best part of 18 months to come to an agreement and have been warned the loss of it's racing license has been coming for over 6 months but continue to resist.

We have one of the best small courses in the UK and Ireland on our doorstep and 4 people with no racing expertise of knowledge would rather see it close than attempt to compromise or relinquish power. A racecourse that can't stage racing is no use to anyone.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Jam roles ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has lost it's license to stage racing as per a statement from the BHA today. As of now the next fixture on 14th July and all subsequent fixtures can't go ahead.

The BHA have been seeking an independent review into governance of the course for some time and the Musselburgh Joint Racing Committee has consistently refused this. There are 7 members on the MjRC, 4 of whom are members of East Lothian Council who have a fixed majority. They know any independent review will recommend an end to this and are resisting it. They have had the best part of 18 months to come to an agreement and have been warned the loss of it's racing license has been coming for over 6 months but continue to resist.

We have one of the best small courses in the UK and Ireland on our doorstep and 4 people with no racing expertise of knowledge would rather see it close than attempt to compromise or relinquish power. A racecourse that can't stage racing is no use to anyone.
    So the options now are MJRC agree to a review or the course stays closed ?

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    So the options now are MJRC agree to a review or the course stays closed ?
    Yes. As it stands they have no license.

They need to reapply and the only way the application will be succeasful is if there is agreement to the review.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Thanks. What a mess. Great wee course on our doorstep, would be a travesty if it isnt all sorted out.

Left by mutual consent!

This is the stumbling block, as the council members know they'll have some searching questions to answer. They'll also lose their majority on the board.

Willie Innes keeping the BHA at a long arm, is not helping the course or the punters.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This is the stumbling block, as the council members know they'll have some searching questions to answer. They'll also lose their majority on the board.

Willie Innes keeping the BHA at a long arm, is not helping the course or the punters.
    Indeed.

I had relatively high hopes Innes may have been an improvement on his predecessor but that seems to be a hope of the forlorn variety.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Excuse my ignorance on this matter, but having been a frequent visitor to the track I can honestly say it's never been better than it is now. It used to be an absolute ****hole, but the improvement in the place is unbelievable.
    What is it that the BHA have a problem with?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Excuse my ignorance on this matter, but having been a frequent visitor to the track I can honestly say it's never been better than it is now. It used to be an absolute ****hole, but the improvement in the place is unbelievable.
    What is it that the BHA have a problem with?
    From what I can gather it's the racecourse staff who have forced the BHAs involvement by passing a vote of no confidence in the current committee and threatening strike action.

I'm unsure what their issue is but there was a statement released on their behalf earlier in the year saying the current set up was 'unsustainable'. The 3 non council members of the committee agreed and accepted the BHA ordering a review but as a minority were unable to force it through.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    From what I can gather it's the racecourse staff who have forced the BHAs involvement by passing a vote of no confidence in the current committee and threatening strike action.

I'm unsure what their issue is but there was a statement released on their behalf earlier in the year saying the current set up was 'unsustainable'. The 3 non council members of the committee agreed and accepted the BHA ordering a review but as a minority were unable to force it through.
    Ok thanks. It seems like things aren't as rosy as they seem from the outside.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    Shambolic state of affairs

Maybe the land is worth more cash wise and the sitting members of the council will be quids in should that land turn into flats

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    Maybe the land is worth more cash wise and the sitting members of the council will be quids in should that land turn into flats

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest and to be honest I'd probably buy a flat/house if they were built. I stay right next to the racecourse now.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post

It wouldn't surprise me. The golf course probably provides some protection given it's historical importance but the council were happy enough to approve a development partially altering that last year despite local and wider opposition so who knows. Typical price of everything, value of nothing mentality you seem to get in a lot of local authorities.

http://www.skysports.com/racing/news...losing-fixture

Yet they are still advertising on local radio and selling tickets despite there being little chance of the 14th July fixture going ahead.

Something stinks with this and it wouldn't shock me if the council want the course closed so they can sell it for other uses as suggested above.

Stay of execution apparently as Council have now agreed to a review.

Thats good to hear.

I would struggle to think the Council could be forgiven by a the vast population of Edinburgh and the Lothians if it was closed never mind Musselburgh.

They're racing at Musselburgh!
    Space to let

So this has reared it's head again.

Independent review reports it's findings, ELC refuse calls to make them public and plan a private meeting for next week excluding the non council members of the MJRC, they announce plans to take the course under full council control and amend the contracts of the permanent staff so they become council employees rather than racecourse employees and now the staff are threatening a walkout. All whilst the temporary license is due to expire on April 7th and the BHA have made it clear if this plan goes ahead then there will be no extension, temporary or otherwise, granted. They lost 2 racing days last year but that looks like the tip of the iceberg as it stands.

Of course they are still aggressively marketing and taking money for Ladies Day in June despite having no license to stage the meeting.