hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And when your staff do need a disciplinary, once you have done the bollocking in private, I presume you call everyone in the workplace and all your customers and your competitors and their customers in to tell them too. Make sure there is someone who can stick it in the media so that anyone that wasn't there can also hear about it. It might work but it is very high risk and can be as much about a manager who has ran out of ideas for motivation and is deflecting as it is about poor performance. Hopefully it works for Lennon and Hibs, I remain to be convinced it was a good move.
    There is always someone looking to dig you out. Ok, maybe disciplinary wasn't exactly the right word to use. Obviously you would never discuss a disciplinary publicly.

If you as a manager have discussed the same issues about a collective failing on a few occasions previously, you are more than entitled to raise the issue collectively. If I had raised the same issues with my team over and over again, had looked at my part in the failure, and come to the conclusion that the failure was because people were just not listening, or applying themselves in the proper manner, I would feel less inclined to take the flack for my team and cover up their shortcomings.

Again, well said Mr Lennon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I respect people for saying it as it is. Neil Lennon has been candid in the past so what's the big deal here. He says it as he sees it. No one I spoke with after the game was happy. I'm glad our manager wasn't either. He knows what he is doing way better than any of us. I'm delighted having him as our manager and believe he will steer us out of this brutally eye bleeding anti football league. It was never going to be easy. Or pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No worries mate, we all want the same thing.

I'm not suggesting that but somewhere between Lennon and his staff coming up with those tactics and them being executed something must've went wrong. We had Fyvie in a strange position on the right, McGinn getting the ball off the back 4 and being way too deep, a striker who is really only good at heading the ball into the goal but no one crossing to him. It was all very confusing.
    So can anyone shed any light on what our tactics were yesterday? I agree it was all very baffling and agree that Graham will only score goals from good crosses into the box. The one good cross I can remember - a low cross from the left by Cummings - had no one anticipating it and trying to get on the end of it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bordergreen View Post
    There is always someone looking to dig you out. Ok, maybe disciplinary wasn't exactly the right word to use. Obviously you would never discuss a disciplinary publicly.

If you as a manager have discussed the same issues about a collective failing on a few occasions previously, you are more than entitled to raise the issue collectively. If I had raised the same issues with my team over and over again, had looked at my part in the failure, and come to the conclusion that the failure was because people were just not listening, or applying themselves in the proper manner, I would feel less inclined to take the flack for my team and cover up their shortcomings.

Again, well said Mr Lennon.
    He was calling the players unprofessional, I would say that is a disciplinary matter. It was also not a collective bollocking he named players who were poor and ones who he thought were ok. No idea about the ones he didn't name. He also said he would look at his own performance. I would say he should have done that first before the public bollocking.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    So can anyone shed any light on what our tactics were yesterday? I agree it was all very baffling and agree that Graham will only score goals from good crosses into the box. The one good cross I can remember - a low cross from the left by Cummings - had no one anticipating it and trying to get on the end of it.
    Humphrey put a great ball in later on but both strikers attacked the front post. Graham was already off at that point. It is very common to see our strikers make the same runs. They don't seem to work as a pair in any combination.

First Team Regular
    I for one don't understand people's criticism of Lennon .Do you honestly think he sends players out to play like they did yesterday . He has played and managed at a much higher standard than the Scottish Championship.For me it's the players mindset and this has been a failing quite often in my lifetime . Rome wasn't built in a day and Lennon has only been with us for a short period.Attendances tell me most fans are behind them and that's great as we all need to be backing them through good and bad

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    I for one don't understand people's criticism of Lennon .Do you honestly think he sends players out to play like they did yesterday . He has played and managed at a much higher standard than the Scottish Championship.For me it's the players mindset and this has been a failing quite often in my lifetime . Rome wasn't built in a day and Lennon has only been with us for a short period.Attendances tell me most fans are behind them and that's great as we all need to be backing them through good and bad
    I think you've completely missed the point

First Team Regular
    I think you've completely missed the point
    Please explain

Please explain
    If you don't understand what's the point? Lennon's perceived lack of tactics. Manager's job. All stated in posts above.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Just because people are thinking it doesn't mean it should be said in public. Look at Trump.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Agreed that and the lack of one or two quality players in the critical final third of the park, it will be interesting to see what reaction he gets, as we need consistency. That photo on the bbc match report said it all as Parker was restraining him think he wanted to get onto the pitch to gently tell some of the players to get the finger oot.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I vno problem with him being angry. I've no problem with him showing it. My problem is slating individual players publicly. That's for the dressing room. If he had to do it publicly it should have been a collective. I don't get why he has done the individual criticism in public full stop but baffles me why during a radio Clyde interview. Is he more familiar with the interviewer and let his guard down?
    100% agree. A time and a place. His targeting of Cummings was out of order.

I hope his public personal criticism does not create a lack of confidence and a nervousness in those players particularly immediately before the cup derby.

Lennon is clearly entitled to manage his players as he chooses but for me he should avoid naming names.

Time will tell what response he gets.
    Here's hoping it's a positive one.

Come on the boys.

First Team Regular
    If you don't understand what's the point? Lennon's perceived lack of tactics. Manager's job. All stated in posts above.
    I realise I'm getting on a bit but I can read . I'm not missing any points .I don't agree with some of the criticism and that's my prerogative. At the end of the day NL wants the same as the supporters and has the knowledge to get us where we want to be . Posters on here including you and I don't. The time to criticise him is if we are still in this league next season . Obviously just my opinion

I can't believe that Lennon is being slated for what he said after the game yesterday. I am sure a lot of what he said, was also being said in the stands.

I agree with every word he said.

He sounded passionate, like he really cares, like the lack of effort from players really bothered him. I for one applaud that. If he wasn't annoyed, I would be concerned. If the players can't take that, it is about time they went somewhere that kind of performance is acceptable.

i manage people in the workplace and encouragement will only get you so far. If someone is consistently under performing, there comes a time that that is addressed with a disciplinary.

i would hope that what Lennon said after the match makes the players sit up, have a look in the mirror, and make sure they don't go in to another game thinking they can coast through it without putting in the hard work required.

P.S. I am not a Celtic Fan, as seems to be suggested every time someone on here sticks up for Lennon.
    Encouragement orrrr disciplinary. Glad I don't work for you.

Tried talking about their problems or offering further training?

Or Lennon doesn't do a whole lot of tactical stuff when it comes to offence? Since November we have scored more than 1 goal from open play once (Dundee United at home). That is a pretty poor stat in this league and I can't really say I've seen a clear plan to consistently score goals over the last few months. At least Stubbs team were missing chances.

Players can't take all the blame for yesterday.
    You could be right. Maybe the fault lies with the players and the head coach? How do you apportion blame for a performance like yesterday? I'm baffled to be honest, but there surely has to be a question mark over the players' collective mentality. Hopefully they will prove me wrong, win on Wednesday night, and go on to "skoosh" this league. We'll see.

What is absolutely clear to me though is that yesterday isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, the first time I've witnessed this sort of thing from Hibs, going back long before Neil Lennon was even thought of as a Hibs manager.

I'm honestly not trying to be wise after the event here, but I had a feeling before the match that Hibs would not win yesterday.

I agree the stats you have provided are poor. Hibs though, as a team, has struggled to score enough goals from open play since they were relegated. At the moment it's only just enough to stay ahead of the three chasing teams. Without Jason Cummings goals Hibs would not be leading this league.

Neil Lennon was never a guy to be quiet about his feelings on or off the pitch ..... he obviously watched yesterday getting angrier and angrier and snapped after the game. I don't like to see managers give the players a public roasting, but from all accounts the players gave him plenty of reason to do it ....... I can live with it so long as he doesn't start making a habit of it. As others have said perhaps Stubbs went too far the other way and there were times he should have had more of a go at the team in public.

One thing I do know is that we have a team capable of the performances he is demanding and there have been too many times this season where we have fallen below that.

But then there's Lennon himself ...... No matter how good Marvin Bartley was against the Yams, and he was very good, why did we need him on the park for this game? Did the manager have so little confidence in his centre back pairing that he thought they needed protected against the team with the 2nd worst scoring record in the division, he certainly didn't have Marvin on for his attacking qualities which are pretty well non existent. He clearly believes his team should be winning at places like Starks Park, so why doesn't he have the courage to stick Scott Martin in midfield and have at least one winger? From what I've seen of Martin he certainly doesn't shirk his defensive duties either.

Whatever the case, lets hope this is the last time this season we see Neil Lennon feel compelled to give his team a bollocking in the media ..... I cant see the players being so upset they throw the toys oot the pram ..... we'll see I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Neil Lennon was never a guy to be quiet about his feelings on or off the pitch ..... he obviously watched yesterday getting angrier and angrier and snapped after the game. I don't like to see managers give the players a public roasting, but from all accounts the players gave him plenty of reason to do it ....... I can live with it so long as he doesn't start making a habit of it. As others have said perhaps Stubbs went too far the other way and there were times he should have had more of a go at the team in public.

One thing I do know is that we have a team capable of the performances he is demanding and there have been too many times this season where we have fallen below that.

But then there's Lennon himself ...... No matter how good Marvin Bartley was against the Yams, and he was very good, why did we need him on the park for this game? Did the manager have so little confidence in his centre back pairing that he thought they needed protected against the team with the 2nd worst scoring record in the division, he certainly didn't have Marvin on for his attacking qualities which are pretty well non existent. He clearly believes his team should be winning at places like Starks Park, so why doesn't he have the courage to stick Scott Martin in midfield and have at least one winger? From what I've seen of Martin he certainly doesn't shirk his defensive duties either.

Whatever the case, lets hope this is the last time this season we see Neil Lennon feel compelled to give his team a bollocking in the media ..... I cant see the players being so upset they throw the toys oot the pram ..... we'll see I suppose.

I await with great interest what the Hibs players, and the team captain in particular, have to say about their boss' criticism.

I hope it's a very positive response, both on and off the pitch. It really has to be.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    I await with great interest what the Hibs players, and the team captain in particular, have to say about their boss' criticism.

I hope it's a very positive response, both on and off the pitch. It really has to be.
    I don't want them to say a word about it. Let's wait until the next league game and see if it makes us play better.

I don't want them to say a word about it. Let's wait until the next league game and see if it makes us play better.
    Fair enough, but I just feel that the criticism was so severe it needs a clear the air statement from the club captain.

I want the players then to really start doing their talking on the pitch, starting on Wednesday night, and in each league match until the Championship is secured. Despite a 7 point lead, this league is far from over.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    it needs a clear the air statement from the club captain.
    What makes you think the air isn't clear?

SDG maybe agrees that we were pish and need to pull the finger out sharpish.

Would that kind of statement help? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    What makes you think the air isn't clear?

SDG maybe agrees that we were pish and need to pull the finger out sharpish.

Would that kind of statement help? I doubt it.
    What makes you think it is? Maybe SDG agrees that the team was pish, maybe he doesn't? I don't know. Do you? Have you spoken to him?

It all depends on what he actually says does it not?

I simply think it's something the Hibs supporters in general might want to hear. That's all really. No hidden agenda.

I think the matter should be closed.

They'll have gone home with the criticism ringing in their ears last night and had today to think about it.

First thing tomorrow morning it should be all positive and all about preparing in the best way possible for the Hearts game.

If anyone thinks about feeling sorry for themselves then they don't play, Jason included.

I have a wee feeling this might all work out for the best.

booed off at half time against ayr united yet we are still not learning

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think the matter should be closed.

They'll have gone home with the criticism ringing in their ears last night and had today to think about it.

First thing tomorrow morning it should be all positive and all about preparing in the best way possible for the Hearts game.

If anyone thinks about feeling sorry for themselves then they don't play, Jason included.

I have a wee feeling this might all work out for the best.
    Ok but I wonder what it will take for this team to realise we need to win and win well to escape this league......clearly some of the players are off and on form far too often for professionals......maybe we need a new bonus system? The Cup comes second this year ..but of course we need to beat Hearts then finally get going on a real run in league ...

He was calling the players unprofessional, I would say that is a disciplinary matter. It was also not a collective bollocking he named players who were poor and ones who he thought were ok. No idea about the ones he didn't name. He also said he would look at his own performance. I would say he should have done that first before the public bollocking.
    I am not sure why you think what he said was so wrong. Maybe you could say what you think he should have done?

As a Hibs Fan, I want our manager to be pissed off and ask questions of people when they don't show the fight and determination they should when pulling on our famous jersey.

Most of us have been saying for a few years now that there is a lack of fight and passion about our team. Now that we have someone who won't accept mediocrity, someone who is passionate and dermined to win, people start complaining.

I don't understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    Ok but I wonder what it will take for this team to realise we need to win and win well to escape this league......clearly some of the players are off and on form far too often for professionals......maybe we need a new bonus system? The Cup comes second this year ..but of course we need to beat Hearts then finally get going on a real run in league ...
    I simply don't think we're as good as we think we are.

We should have enough about us to win the league but I just don't believe that we're a cohesive unit, especially attacking.

We could treble the wages or double the bonuses of these players and I still think we would be getting the same results.

A lot of thought needs to into the type of goals we're going to score, how we're going to create them, and then to get the players in to carry it out.

We've struggled to score enough goals to meet whichever target we've been going for for more than a decade now. Credit to Lennon that he's sorted the defence out to the extent that it probably won't matter this season.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    I wasnt thinking what he said, I was asking myself "what was the plan to score goals and win yestersay?" which really comes from the manager. There were absolutely zero tactics yesterday.
    Agree with you..I think in one of the interviews he did include himself in his criticism but for me I had no idea how we were set up to create chances yesterday unless you count an aimless diagonal 60 yard hoof from Fontaine.

Tactics were as much of a disgrace as the performance yesterday and not for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain.... View Post
    Agree with you..I think in one of the interviews he did include himself in his criticism but for me I had no idea how we were set up to create chances yesterday unless you count an aimless diagonal 60 yard hoof from Fontaine.

Tactics were as much of a disgrace as the performance yesterday and not for the first time.
    I would think that the tactics were for our highly rated midfielders to make passes and our highly rated attackers to make runs to collect them and put the ball in the net.As this hasn't happened too often this season I would suggest that it may be due to the players not being as good as they and we think they are.Or do you think that the last thing Lennon tells them is not to try too hard to win the game.Don't you perhaps think that it's more likely that the players are not doing what they're told rather than a highly experienced player and manager not knowing what to do?

@hibs.net private member
    I am not sure why you think what he said was so wrong. Maybe you could say what you think he should have done?

As a Hibs Fan, I want our manager to be pissed off and ask questions of people when they don't show the fight and determination they should when pulling on our famous jersey.

Most of us have been saying for a few years now that there is a lack of fight and passion about our team. Now that we have someone who won't accept mediocrity, someone who is passionate and dermined to win, people start complaining.

I don't understand that.
    It's not what he said it is where, why, when and how he said it. If I was struggling at work my boss openly naming me and criticising my professionalism and attitude in front of thousands of people including my peers and competitors might not improve my performance. Like it or not footballers are doing a job of work and are employees.

Other than, again, mentioning Jason's performance I don't think I would disagree with much of what he said. I certainly think the team look unmotivated and I definitely think he needs to look at his own performance. What I don't know is was it calculated or through anger, looked the latter but hard to tell. Will it be positive, negative or have no effect. Was it to deflect away the blame from him for another dismal performance or simply because he has said it behind closed doors without a positive reaction. The transfer window has closed barring signing players no-one else wants our squad is what will get us over the line or not. We won't know for a few weeks whether Saturday's interviews were a masterstroke or a disaster. I hope he got it right or at least never had a negative effect.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I would think that the tactics were for our highly rated midfielders to make passes and our highly rated attackers to make runs to collect them and put the ball in the net.As this hasn't happened too often this season I would suggest that it may be due to the players not being as good as they and we think they are.Or do you think that the last thing Lennon tells them is not to try too hard to win the game.Don't you perhaps think that it's more likely that the players are not doing what they're told rather than a highly experienced player and manager not knowing what to do?
    The selected midfielders are highly rated but struggle to score or create goals. We were playing against a team that struggles to score and our defense has been excellent all year. Lennon chose Bartley who averages a career goal every 24 games and a career assist every 31 games. Can't work stats out at Hibs as he has neither a goal or an assist in over 44 games. He also played another link/holding midfielder in Fyvie who in his career scores a goal every 25 games and an assist every 8. He has an assist every 6 games for Hibs but only scores every 30 or so games. Yes, playing with width never worked against Ayr but do we have to change personnel and system every game. Perhaps the players lack confidence because they are not sure of their role or struggling to find consistency playing with different players and systems. Half of our midfield are not and never have been creative players and McGinn isn't very prolific either. Top that off with Keats who looks totally lost at the tip of the diamond and I think I can see why some might think the system and selection may have some part to play in performances like Saturday. the players never played well and they let the club down but that may not be the only issue.