hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875

Edinburgh monarchs

I'm going to see them for the first time on Friday, has anyone been before? What should I expect in terms of crowds etc? Do you pay at the turnstiles like football or do they have a ticket office?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've not been for years, used to travel all over watching them in my youth, found other ways to spend my Friday evenings once I reached bevvying age though!

When I was a bairn I thought Belle Vue Aces used to ride at Powderhall! Seems I got my Bellevues mixed up though. I made it down to their old stadium in Manchester, what a wonderful venue that was.

I remember trailing all the way down to Peterborough on the bus and the meeting was rained off, that was a pain in the Kenny Carter! :-)
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 05-09-2014 at 04:14 PM.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm going to see them for the first time on Friday, has anyone been before? What should I expect in terms of crowds etc? Do you pay at the turnstiles like football or do they have a ticket office?
    Pay at the turnstiles mate, it couldn't be easier.

A word of warning though, check the official website before you go. It wouldn't be the first time I've left a sunny East Lothian to go to Armadale only to find it off because of a waterlogged track.

You will never forget the smell of the burning methanol based fuel.

I've followed the Monarchs at Old Meadowbank, Powderhall and Armadale and still follow their fortunes.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I've not been for years, used to travel all over watching them in my youth, found other ways to spend my Friday evenings once I reached bevvying age though!
    My dad used to how he is the one who suggested it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Pay at the turnstiles mate, it couldn't be easier.

A word of warning though, check the official website before you go. It wouldn't be the first time I've left a sunny East Lothian to go to Armadale only to find it off because of a waterlogged track.

You will never forget the smell of the burning methanol based fuel.

I've followed the Monarchs at Old Meadowbank, Powderhall and Armadale and still follow their fortunes.
    Thanks, I have watched it a few times on sky and it looks good fun, I'm heading through in about an hour. Still cloudy but not raining here in west Lothian

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I used to go to Powderhall every Friday during the season. Bert Harkins was the seasoned pro, Michael (?) Collins was the star and there was also a Benny Brazil style cult hero - Roger Lambert maybe? I was really into it and followed the Monarchs a few of times to Glasgow & Berwick.

My dad used to how he is the one who suggested it.

Thanks, I have watched it a few times on sky and it looks good fun, I'm heading through in about an hour. Still cloudy but not raining here in west Lothian
    Enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I used to go to Powderhall every Friday during the season. Bert Harkins was the seasoned pro, Michael (?) Collins was the star and there was also a Benny Brazil style cult hero - Roger Lambert maybe? I was really into it and followed the Monarchs a few of times to Glasgow & Berwick.
    I started going in 83, Roger Lambert was in the team then. Edinburgh 49 Milton Keynes 47 was my first match. Without looking at old programmes Mark Fiora, Brett Saunders, Dave Trownson and George Hunter were in the team. Hunter at the tail end of a very distinguished career.

Les Collins was the main man throughout most of my time going. I've got a wee soft spot Kenny McKinna as my wee bro loved him and he always took 5 mins to chat to him. Craig Cook is todays Collins equivalent. (Craig has never been runner-up in a World Championship though).
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 05-09-2014 at 06:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I started going in 83, Roger Lambert was in the team then. Edinburgh 49 Milton Keynes 47 was my first match. Without looking at old programmes Mark Fiora, Brett Saunders, Dave Trownson and George Hunter were in the team. Hunter at the tail end of a very distinguished career.
    George Hunter was my first sporting hero at Old Meadowbank and was over the moon when he signed up at Powderhall.

Other riders about that time would have been Ivan Blacka, Benny Rourke, Neil Collins, Les Collins and Steve Lomas.

Les Collins was the main man throughout most of my time going. I've got a wee soft spot Kenny McKinna as my wee bro loved him and he always took 5 mins to chat to him. Craig Cook is todays Collins equivalent. (Craig has never been runner-up in a World Championship though).
    That's right - it was Les. His brother Neil wasn't too shabby either. I remember George Hunter too - my folks used to watch him when the Monarchs raced on the "round" track at Meadowbank.

Might've been Neil Collins at that time Peeve.

There were about half a dozen brothers. Les, Phil, Peter, Neil, Steve and ANR!

There was a Brian too, think he was a weegie though!

Might've been Neil Collins at that time Peeve.
    IIRC Neil was at the Monarchs (our main man) while Les was winning championships down South. Les later joined the Monarchs. Is that right?

Aye, mid 80's. £20 odd grand. Might've been a world record transfer IIRC.

Aye, mid 80's. £20 odd grand. Might've been a world record transfer IIRC.
    That'd be about right. I think I stopped going in 1984 (I started working so spent my Friday nights in the pub!) and I never seen Les ride for the Monarchs.

Did Neil Collins not do a thing where, if he was leading coming out the last bend, he'd kick out his right foot when finishing his broadside?

Don't think I ever saw NC ride for The Monarchs.

Here's a sair yin tho, I went to Powderhall the night Hibs beat Celtic on pens in the league cup as they were racing against Les Collins' old team (Sheffield)! Ouch!

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    I go back to the days of the Templetons, George Hunter, Charlie Monk, and my hero, Bernie Persson.

I witnessed the pumping in the league 3 days later unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I go back to the days of the Templetons, George Hunter, Charlie Monk, and my hero, Bernie Persson.
    Any idea who paid their wages CWG? ;-)

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I used to follow them in the late 60s, I remember Reidar Eide, Bernie Persson, George Hunter, Bert Harkins & the Templeton brothers for the Monarchs (maybe not all at the same time) and I'm sure Ole Olssen was the star rider in the league.
    Last edited by Hiber-nation; 05-09-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

So what did you think?

One word of warning - Sheffield were extremely poor tonight, though a win is a win.

Tomorrow against Rockets and the double-header next weekend will decide the season. Bears and Diamonds will be a lot tougher opposition.

Pray for dry weather.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Just back and loved it, great night, good atmosphere and the monarchs rocked it by winning 67-27. I took som pictures and a video. My dad said he had gone 50 years back in time

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    So what did you think?

One word of warning - Sheffield were extremely poor tonight, though a win is a win.

Tomorrow against Rockets and the double-header next weekend will decide the season. Bears and Diamonds will be a lot tougher opposition.

Pray for dry weather.
    Loved it, definitely going back. Didn't know what to expect but I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit different to do on a Friday night, there's booze as well

Do they still play the black bear as the riders come out on parade? Always liked that tune.

Gamer IDs

Loved it, definitely going back. Didn't know what to expect but I would recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit different to do on a Friday night, there's booze as well

Like I said, that was a bit of a procession - Sheffield are bottom of the Premier League this season. That said, most meetings at Armadale have been that way this year - Monarchs hold the record for an unbeaten run in competitive matches in the modern era - 24 unbeaten from the start of this season, and Cook, Worrall, Masters and Fricke are all very good riders.

Pity Worrall won't be fit for tonight - we have to beat the Rockets and then win the double-header next Friday. Good thing is that Cook, Masters and Fricke can sub for him.

You WILL find that the rules are kinda complicated but it's good fun and a close match gets really frenetic towards the end.

Glad you enjoyed it - I used to go to Old Meadowbank but when they closed it and I went off to Uni I fell out of the habit and only got back this season. The Stadium's pretty rough-and-ready, but as we've learned elsewhere recently, it's not the glossy new stadium, it's the team and the results and whether you enjoy it that counts.

Innit strange how the same folks who can't be trusted to behave at a football stadium if there's a bar in the stand can enjoy a pint at the speedway without going on the rampage?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Like I said, that was a bit of a procession - Sheffield are bottom of the Premier League this season. That said, most meetings at Armadale have been that way this year - Monarchs hold the record for an unbeaten run in competitive matches in the modern era - 24 unbeaten from the start of this season, and Cook, Worrall, Masters and Fricke are all very good riders.

Pity Worrall won't be fit for tonight - we have to beat the Rockets and then win the double-header next Friday. Good thing is that Cook, Masters and Fricke can sub for him.

You WILL find that the rules are kinda complicated but it's good fun and a close match gets really frenetic towards the end.

Glad you enjoyed it - I used to go to Old Meadowbank but when they closed it and I went off to Uni I fell out of the habit and only got back this season. The Stadium's pretty rough-and-ready, but as we've learned elsewhere recently, it's not the glossy new stadium, it's the team and the results and whether you enjoy it that counts.

Innit strange how the same folks who can't be trusted to behave at a football stadium if there's a bar in the stand can enjoy a pint at the speedway without going on the rampage?
    it became apparent it was too easy, as you say the place I'd a bit old but I thought that was a bit of the charm to it all to be honest. It reminded me of an old football stadium. I see there are fixtures still to be confirmed I guess for potential play offs etc, I will definitely look at going back.

Gamer IDs

it became apparent it was too easy, as you say the place I'd a bit old but I thought that was a bit of the charm to it all to be honest. It reminded me of an old football stadium. I see there are fixtures still to be confirmed I guess for potential play offs etc, I will definitely look at going back.
    Good. (You don't see bikes flying over the airfence every night either, mind.)

Couple of links you might be interested in -

http://www.edinburghmonarchs.co/home.asp
    http://speedwaygb.co/homepage

BTW - you owe me royalties. You have me on your wee bit film, and my agent will be in touch with you shortly.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Good. (You don't see bikes flying over the airfence every night either, mind.)

Couple of links you might be interested in -

http://www.edinburghmonarchs.co/home.asp
    http://speedwaygb.co/homepage

BTW - you owe me royalties. You have me on your wee bit film, and my agent will be in touch with you shortly.
    that bike made my brother spill some of his pint as he was coming back from the bar.
    Thanks for the links, I'll put the 5p aside for your royalties don't worry
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 06-09-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Gamer IDs

that bike made my brother spill some of his pint as he was coming back from the bar.
    Thanks for the links, I'll put the 5p aside for your royalties don't worry

Ach, forget it. I'm in a good mood - we've just done the Rockets, 59-36.

4 League points to the Monarchs.

Cookie-Monster totally awesome.

Strange feeling following a winning team!
    Last edited by --------; 06-09-2014 at 08:18 PM.