hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sensational read, but it's kind-of-strange how we've managed to wander off on a different road since the 50's :-(

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

''Celtic, Rangers and Hearts had finished second, third and fourth in the league, respectively, but in the era before TV revenues, none of those clubs wanted to compete in the first European Cup. “

This reads like they were offered the opportunity and declined, that's certainly not a version that I'm familiar with.
    Here is the first mention of Hibs being invited.

EC 1.jpg

This follow up article (Daily Record) mentioning that those at Tynecastle, Aberdeen, Parkhead, Ibrox and Lanarkshire won't be best pleased that Chelsea and Hibs are the only British teams invited.

If Aberdeen/Rangers/Celtic/Hearts were invited why the fuss?

EC 2.jpg

Pretty good quote from George Graham in the next article - "When the scheme for the competition was first put up unofficially, Hibernian were among 16 clubs invited to play in it. Now that the championship is official we expect Hibernian will be allowed to play at least for this year, though necessarily next year."

EC 3.jpg

No mention of L'Quipe going round the other clubs before settlling on Hibs. The series of events run like this: L'Quipe announced the Championship, FIFA stepped in and said the tourney was unofficial and said the EFA (eufa) should run it, FIFA decided they themselves would run it for the first year and the invites were sent out again and Hibs were invited by FIFA too. Hibs actually received two invites, one from L'Quipe and one from FIFA.

Report of the second meeting during which FIFA made the tourney official ratifying Hibs inclusion.

The Guardian article seems to be making things up for the sake of it.

EC 4.jpg

Some match reports from the first tie.

EC 5.jpg
    EC 6.jpg
    EC 7.jpg

You'll might notice that there is no mention floodlights being a requirement for entry. As I said above Hibs didn't play all their games under lights and some of the clubs invited didn't have them.

I reckon some journos get mixed up with the Floodlight League which was played (unofficially) in exactly the same season as the inaugural European Cup.

Floodlit League 1.jpg

Report from the Hibs (5) v Man Utd (0) game in the unofficial Floodlight League.

Floodlit League 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    It's funny, but the 1st thing the Dons fan sitting next to me said when he read this article was 'did Hibs not do something underhand to get in the competition?'. I have to say, I have heard the conspiracy theories before, usually from Hearts fans, but this article seems more plausible.
    I had the same today actually, turns out that Dons fans believe a different version of events as it's posted on the official Aberdeen site:

http://data.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/7983.php

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    I had the same today actually, turns out that Dons fans believe a different version of events as it's posted on the official Aberdeen site:

http://data.afc.co.uk/mobile/news/7983.php
    Swan wasn't at the meeting in Paris held by L'Quipe nor was he at the second meeting in Paris when FIFA ratified Hibs involvement. George Graham was at the second meeting. EUFA (at the time the EFA) were barley involved at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Here is the first mention of Hibs being invited.

EC 1.jpg

This follow up article (Daily Record) mentioning that those at Tynecastle, Aberdeen, Parkhead, Ibrox and Lanarkshire won't be best pleased that Chelsea and Hibs are the only British teams invited.

If Aberdeen/Rangers/Celtic/Hearts were invited why the fuss?

EC 2.jpg

Pretty good quote from George Graham in the next article - "When the scheme for the competition was first put up unofficially, Hibernian were among 16 clubs invited to play in it. Now that the championship is official we expect Hibernian will be allowed to play at least for this year, though necessarily next year."

EC 3.jpg

No mention of L'Quipe going round the other clubs before settlling on Hibs. The series of events run like this: L'Quipe announced the Championship, FIFA stepped in and said the tourney was unofficial and said the EFA (eufa) should run it, FIFA decided they themselves would run it for the first year and the invites were sent out again and Hibs were invited by FIFA too. Hibs actually received two invites, one from L'Quipe and one from FIFA.

Report of the second meeting during which FIFA made the tourney official ratifying Hibs inclusion.

The Guardian article seems to be making things up for the sake of it.

EC 4.jpg

Some match reports from the first tie.

EC 5.jpg
    EC 6.jpg
    EC 7.jpg

You'll might notice that there is no mention floodlights being a requirement for entry. As I said above Hibs didn't play all their games under lights and some of the clubs invited didn't have them.

I reckon some journos get mixed up with the Floodlight League which was played (unofficially) in exactly the same season as the inaugural European Cup.

Floodlit League 1.jpg
    Some good reading there, and it's in line with my understanding - Hibs were invited as the club with the appropriate European profile, pedigree and stature.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Some good reading there, and it's in line with my understanding - Hibs were invited as the club with the appropriate European profile, pedigree and stature.
    And lived up to it.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    There were some Essen fans at the Ross County game a few weeks ago. We spoke to them briefly in the concourse after the game. They said that they come across because of the original link isith us from that season.

Superb that this connection has continued across the generations, especially as we gubbed them 😀