Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laidlaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goalie having a bad game - Hibs.net lynch mob shockeroony

He's pish.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Laidlaw is a good goalie aye he made some mistakes today but he will hopefully learn from them. I do prefer Rocky but not as fussed as some over Laidlaw.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Ive never understood how hes so well rated on here, even as a back up keeper. He chucked plenty goals when called upon in the championship, and done so again today. Worrying thing is marciano has also looked suspect this season.
    No he hasn't but u carry on with bashing out players...this place annoys the hell outta me when we lose

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Lennon needs to decide who his number 1 is and stick with it. Laidlaw wasn’t at his best today, but that’s just the way it goes when you’re a goalkeeper. Chopping and changing doesn’t really help.

United we stand here....

Lennon has given him a chance and so keeps the player motivated while letting Rocky know that he has to perform in order to keep his position. I think Laidlaw is a decent second keeper, but he had an off day today.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Lennon needs to decide who his number 1 is and stick with it. Laidlaw wasn’t at his best today, but that’s just the way it goes when you’re a goalkeeper. Chopping and changing doesn’t really help.
    That’s exactly what Lennon is trying to avoid by not dropping Laidlaw as soon as Marciano was ready to play again.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    That’s exactly what Lennon is trying to avoid by not dropping Laidlaw as soon as Marciano was ready to play again.
    I agree, but the clamour for change starts every time one of them has a bad game.

United we stand here....

Coaching Staff
    Not really. Marciano is number 1 and wasn’t really dropped. When he was back he should have gone back in.

Got absolutely no confidence in our goalkeepers at all. Positioning for shots is terrible, commanding their area brutal, coming for crosses non existent. Distribution ( hit and hope) shocking.A decent goalkeeper can save us 10 to 15 points a season. What worries me is what they do at training? I don't see any improvements from week to week, if that's what I see and feel, I wonder what our defenders think.

Quote Originally Posted by famousfife View Post
    Got absolutely no confidence in our goalkeepers at all. Positioning for shots is terrible, commanding their area brutal, coming for crosses non existent. Distribution ( hit and hope) shocking.A decent goalkeeper can save us 10 to 15 points a season. What worries me is what they do at training? I don't see any improvements from week to week, if that's what I see and feel, I wonder what our defenders think.
    They probably think you’re talkping pish. Both of them are good goalkeepers.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Not really. Marciano is number 1 and wasn’t really dropped. When he was back he should have gone back in.
    I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with tbh.

I'm well aware that Marciano wasn't dropped. That's why I said 'ready to play again'.

Again, I agree with you about Marciano. I wasn't saying otherwise.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    If Laidlaw was an outfield player he'd not be playing next game after a performance like that. Marciano was not dropped, but laidlaw had played so well it would have been unfair to not keep him in after a couple of very good performances.

Marciano back in now Lenny, and stick with him, as even his poor games are nowhere near as bad as that today.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Laidlaw was poor and at fault (along with others) for three goals today. If you're going to beat a team like Celtc you can't give away cheap goals.

The problem we have is that, whilst picking Laidlaw was a gamble, picking Marciano would have been as well. Aberdeen semi last season?
    Really can't understand how when the wall ducks...it's the goalies fault.
    Rocky set up the wall to protect the front post....which they didn't.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Unfortunately not good enough. Celtic have had 2 shots and both pretty weak and he couldn’t manage to get strong enough hands on them.

Marciano guaranteed back in next game.
    I don't think he was at fault for the first. Bad marking was.

For the second goal, again bad marking, but it would be reasonable to expect the keeper to save it at his near post.

3rd no chance.

4th, just an unlucky punt when we were chasing an equaliser.

He made a great save in the 2nd.

Don't think he is quite as culpable as some suggest overall.

Laidlaw had done well since coming into the team - playing him was the correct decision.

He had a bit of a nightmare. I don't think he could do much about the first, total clanger for the second. Nothing he could do for the third, he played a big part in the 4th.

The good save he made in the one one one - I thought he dithered on his line before making the save, I thought he should have been quick off his line to claim it in the first place.

You need to carry a bit of luck to beat Celtic, and often have your goalkeeper playing out of his skin. We had our 2nd choice having an off day.

Rocky should come back in for Tuesday, he's been sent a message by Lennon now though in that if his performance drops, or if he misses a game (for whatever reason) and Laidlaw comes in and does the business then he doesn't just waltz straight back in - a powerful message.

Laidlaw can go back to being a perfectly able deputy.

We've got 2 decent keepers, they haven't become pish overnight, although along with the rest of the team, they haven't quite played as well as they can over the first dozen or so games of our season.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that both keepers are average at best. Oh for the return of a Roughie, Goram or Leighton , now these guys really were goalkeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Laidlaw was poor and at fault (along with others) for three goals today. If you're going to beat a team like Celtc you can't give away cheap goals.

The problem we have is that, whilst picking Laidlaw was a gamble, picking Marciano would have been as well. Aberdeen semi last season?
    Apart from clearly the 2nd, what other goals was he at fault for? The first one, it's an absolute nightmare to go down low back where you've just come from for a keeper. All your weight is moving in the other direction.

The 4th, ok he could've done better as it was pretty obvious what type of finish Dembele was going to go for, but I wouldn't go as far as to say he was at fault for it.

I think the gravity of his error for the 2nd and the general lack of confidence he has on cross balls means that Marciano will be back in but let's not lose perspective completely
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 21-10-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain and suggest that both keepers are average at best. Oh for the return of a Roughie, Goram or Leighton , now these guys really were goalkeepers.
    Sadly I think goalkeeping has changed for the worse since the days of the keepers you mentioned. Part of that is due to the new balls we use, and part of that is due to the way that they’re trained these days. When you have keepers who constantly punch the ball rather than catching it, they seem to end up putting the ball back in play more, and simply catching the ball, rather than trying to parry it has lead to more mistakes imo.

United we stand here....

I wonder how they would be seen in the messageboard era?

I don't really remember Rough but Goram would surely be 'too small' and 'not commanding enough at crosses' whilst Leighton would have 'pish distribution' and be 'nervous under the high ball'.

Fwiw I agree with you. We have 2 ok goalkeepers, which is still an improvement on some recently. I've never seen what others see in Marciano that makes them think we have signed someone we are going to sell for a hige profit and I've always rated Laidlaw as an unspectacular steady Eddie.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Sadly I think goalkeeping has changed for the worse since the days of the keepers you mentioned. Part of that is due to the new balls we use, and part of that is due to the way that they’re trained these days. When you have keepers who constantly punch the ball rather than catching it, they seem to end up putting the ball back in play more, and simply catching the ball, rather than trying to parry it has lead to more mistakes imo.
    There was a really good piece with Peter Schmeichel on Sky Sports the other night and he said he never got the obsession some had with catching the ball. For him keeping the ball out the net was the most imprtant aspect then you dealt with the follow up of need be.

He was hugely important in the evolution of the goalkeeper moving away fron the accepted practices and beliefs about what a goalkeeper was and becoming more unorthodox, more atheltic and better all round players. I think his handball background played a big part.

I'm not saying he is right but I tend to agree with him. We live in a golden age of goalkeepers imo. Buffon, Cassilas and Van Der Sar through to Neuer, De Gea and Oblak have totally changed the way the position is played for the better. Every one, and a few others of their era, has taken the role forward.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I wonder how they would be seen in the messageboard era?

I don't really remember Rough but Goram would surely be 'too small' and 'not commanding enough at crosses' whilst Leighton would have 'pish distribution' and be 'nervous under the high ball'.

Fwiw I agree with you. We have 2 ok goalkeepers, which is still an improvement on some recently. I've never seen what others see in Marciano that makes them think we have signed someone we are going to sell for a hige profit and I've always rated Laidlaw as an unspectacular steady Eddie.
    Leighton would have been absolutely slaughtered for his inability to cope with the passback rule

Rough, Goram and Leighton were all really good keepers but being honest, we didn't achieve that much with them, despite the success they had before or after playing with us.

Laidlaw won't have today's game as one of his career highlights but the reality is that we were up against the toughest opposition we are likely to face any time soon, or any time longer for that matter.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Until today Laidlaw has done very well for us.

I asked a guy whose son plays for Raith and has done for years why he never got a look in there.

His response, started off brilliantly, lost a couple of bad goals and never seemed to get his confidence back.

He was hung out to dry by rank bad defending but IMO he needs to save both the first 2 goals, poor weak shots straight through him.

Having said that Ofir hasn't covered himself in glory this season either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    There was a really good piece with Peter Schmeichel on Sky Sports the other night and he said he never got the obsession some had with catching the ball. For him keeping the ball out the net was the most imprtant aspect then you dealt with the follow up of need be.

He was hugely important in the evolution of the goalkeeper moving away fron the accepted practices and beliefs about what a goalkeeper was and becoming more unorthodox, more atheltic and better all round players. I think his handball background played a big part.

I'm not saying he is right but I tend to agree with him. We live in a golden age of goalkeepers imo. Buffon, Cassilas and Van Der Sar through to Neuer, De Gea and Oblak have totally changed the way the position is played for the better. Every one, and a few others of their era, has taken the role forward.
    They’ve certainly taken the role in a different direction. I agree 100% about the athleticism of modern day goalkeepers, and I think the agility aspect has improved dramatically. The older style keepers were much more commanding in their box than your modern day keeper. I suppose it’s like every position, it’s almost impossible to compare players from previous generations to current players. The game in some ways never changes, but in other ways it’s completely different.

United we stand here....

All goalkeepers make mistakes from time to time, but IMHO Hibs haven't had a really good reliable goalkeeper for donkeys years. That said, they are hard to find.

Rough, Goram and Leighton are about as good as this nation has ever produced. We were truly spoilt in those days and came to take for granted that our last line of defence was World Class (maybe Roughy wasn't world class but I honestly think the other 2 were).

Anyone is going to be a step down in class from those 3 and I suspect it will be a very long time until we see their likes again.

Decent, above average is about the best we can expect, and I think that is what we currently have.

It's not the first position I'd be looking to address.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    We all said he should've played and we'll all now realise we were wrong and Marciano should've played.

Pish and that's being kind. I'm not one to single players out usually but he had a big hand (literally and numerous times) in us losing today and he should drop out Tuesday.

I like Laidlaw but that second was a shocker and it cost us the game.
    Last edited by .Sean.; 21-10-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Won't play again for a long time hopefully.

Coaching Staff
    I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with tbh.

I'm well aware that Marciano wasn't dropped. That's why I said 'ready to play again'.

Again, I agree with you about Marciano. I wasn't saying otherwise.
    In the sense that if he was trying to avoid chopping and changing Marciano should have come back in. He is number one and was always going to get back in once Laidlaw made a mistake.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    No he hasn't but u carry on with bashing out players...this place annoys the hell outta me when we lose
    I have to agree with you Borderhibbie. Laidlaw has been solid apart from some aspects today. Keepers can have off days just like any other player in any other position. I like Ross a lot and he had some very good saves today as Johnnyboy said in his summing up which goes unnoticed when looking to slate a player. Lets give a good keeper some slack, he's no Zibi that's for sure. I like you Ross, Keep working on your game pal and you'll do well.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Aye he has. Hes cost a goal around every 3 to 4 appereances hes made. He wasnt good enough for raith, but you keep kidding on hes good enough for us.