hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I mean it's not. He either dives in and is beaten or backs off and let's people into the box then doesn't tackle. He's a poor defender. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team and the only reason that he is because Gray and mavrias are out. I can't believe what people say about him. Clearly watching a different player to me.
    Well let's agree to disagree. You'll see on this thread that there's a real mix of opinions.

I feel you get posters who can only see the negatives and those who only see the positives. The reality is somewhere in between.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Thought Whittaker looked a class above at times last night as he did against Celtic. Amazing how people see things differently.
    Thats how I saw it, he also has good awareness and an eye for movement, he made a couple of mistakes but so did most of the team, Mallan was bad though. 2 tough games in the space of a few days. He bust a gut last nite and Im glad he plays for us.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Not his biggest fan but credit where it's due - he was excellent against Celtic and was one of the better players against the Huns last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Did a couple of daft things that you do not expect from a player of his great experience but largely got away with it you can tell his legs are going and his great strength as a young man was his speed and his speed of recovery : pass marks
    No it wasn't. Granted he's slower now than ten years ago but he has never been fast and has always been a dodgy defender.

His great strength is that he's a good footballer, two footed, good passer and has a good touch. That's what makes him an asset going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by F'Res Hibbie View Post
    No it wasn't. Granted he's slower now than ten years ago but he has never been fast and has always been a dodgy defender.

His great strength is that he's a good footballer, two footed, good passer and has a good touch. That's what makes him an asset going forward.
    Indeed. He is really good with both feet. Pass he made to Shaw at the end of the first half that lead to Horgan's chance was exceptional. He's always been better technically than physically.

One of the best passers of a ball in our team. He has the ability to take 3/4 players out of the game with one pass.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Part of a defence that have had 2 clean sheets against the 2 best teams in Scotland, not bad with no legs.

Whittaker is a very good squad player, who has filled in because we have been ravaged by injuries throughout the whole squad.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

OK! We agree he is slower now than he was ten years ago

He is also very good going forward

I remember at the time he was praised as an attacking full back but was criticised for being suspect defensively not just at our club but at other clubs

As it stands just now he is a valuable experienced member of our squad and is useful in that he has looked after himself and can slot into various positions as required

He did ok last night apart from one defensive slip in the first half when he allowed the Croatian guy a clear run on goal

Very good going forward enjoyed his nutmeg in the second half

Squad player!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Part of a defence that have had 2 clean sheets against the 2 best teams in Scotland, not bad with no legs.

Whittaker is a very good squad player, who has filled in because we have been ravaged by injuries throughout the whole squad.

He was good last night, imho. It was probably his hardest game of the season and he did fine.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

I remember at the time he was praised as an attacking full back but was criticised for being suspect defensively not just at our club but at other clubs

As it stands just now he is a valuable experienced member of our squad and is useful in that he has looked after himself and can slot into various positions as required

He did ok last night apart from one defensive slip in the first half when he allowed the Croatian guy a clear run on goal

Squad player!
    Sorry mate but he’s not “very good” going forward.

I don’t think he’s great going forward at all especially now that he’s lost a bit of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Sorry mate but he’s not “very good” going forward.

I don’t think he’s great going forward at all especially now that he’s lost a bit of pace.
    Agree was getting way ahead of myself lets just say good

I remember one cross second half Flo was in the middle waiting on a simple nod in but he decides to launch it high and hard to the back post you guessed it no one there

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Whittaker had some good touches and passes last night. Overplayed it on other occasions. Ended up with a thigh strain, and would've been subbed if we hadnt used them up.

Squad player!

My point was that “his great strength was speed as a young man” is completely and utterly wrong.

He has qualities but speed isn’t, and hasn’t ever been, one of them.

My point was that “his great strength was speed as a young man” is completely and utterly wrong.

He has qualities but speed isn’t, and hasn’t ever been, one of them.
    You think?

https://youtu.be/mv26UQV64Vo

Looks plenty fast to me as runs past the Sporting defence

Also recommend you look at the video of the 2007 Scottish League Cup Final

Also went onto win a further three League Cups two Scottish Cups and three SPL titles and 31 full Scotland caps

Slow coaches do not play in the EPL

Agreed he was no Ivan Sproule or Arthur Duncan and as I have already said not the greatest defensively

You think?

https://youtu.be/mv26UQV64Vo

Looks plenty fast to me as runs past the Sporting defence

Also recommend you look at the video of the 2007 Scottish League Cup Final

Also went onto win a further three League Cups two Scottish Cups and three SPL titles and 31 full Scotland caps

Slow coaches do not play in the EPL

Agreed he was no Ivan Sproule or Arthur Duncan and as I have already said not the greatest defensively

It’s a fine goal but he’s not beating anyone in a race, he’s skinning them because of his good touch, dribbling and a stinking slide tackle from the defender after he’s actually caught Whittaker up.

As far as the league cup final is concerned, please point out the bit where he’s pacey, it’s not there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gH2rQ1DffY

Again, good player, not particularly quick. “His great strength was his speed” is a fabrication.

It’s a fine goal but he’s not beating anyone in a race, he’s skinning them because of his good touch, dribbling and a stinking slide tackle from the defender after he’s actually caught Whittaker up.

As far as the league cup final is concerned, please point out the bit where he’s pacey, it’s not there.

Again, good player, not particularly quick. “His great strength was his speed” is a fabrication.
    He is one if not the most technically gifted footballer at our club, great man to have around the squad.

One thing that helped Whittaker last night was the fact that Grezvda is pretty hopeless. Has he had a goal or assist yet for them? Fastest he ran all night was when he got subbed.

The Rangers are solid at the back and quite tough to play against but their creative midfield options are pretty poor. Their full backs pose a bigger threat

Them highlights just the goals thought he did well to run from right back to jump on Benjis back for the second

If he was as slow as you suggest do you really think he would have won as much as he has in the game?

Reminds me of the old Bertie Auld story when he slams his medals on the table and says thems my medals where’s yours?

We are lucky to have him

Squad player

PS

Great memory by the way ��
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 20-12-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Them highlights just the goals thought he did well to run from right back to jump in Benjis back for the second

If he was as slow as you suggest do you really think he would have won as much as he has in the game?

Reminds me of the old Bertie Auld story when he slams his medals on the table and says thems my medals where’s yours?

Do you really think he would have had such a successful career if was as slow as you suggest?

We are lucky to have him

Squad player

PS

Great memory by the way ��
    No one has said he was slow. He just wasn't especially fast. Plenty of players who aren't especially gifted physically had brilliant careers with many medals.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No one has said he was slow. He just wasn't especially fast. Plenty of players who aren't especially gifted physically had brilliant careers with many medals.
    Agree and he is definitely a lot slower than he was ten years ago

Left by mutual consent!
    When Gray's back I'd be tempted to use him in midfield again when Milligan's gone. Especially if Bartley hasn't come back by then.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    When Gray's back I'd be tempted to use him in midfield again when Milligan's gone. Especially if Bartley hasn't come back by then.
    No way IMO. Gray has many qualities but I've seen nothing to suggest he could play central midfield. Hanlon maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    No way IMO. Gray has many qualities but I've seen nothing to suggest he could play central midfield. Hanlon maybe.
    I think DSJ was talking about Whitty
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post

He’s tidy but doesn’t really like to tackle. SW is an ok midfield option but not one to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I think DSJ was talking about Whitty
    Long day

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    He’s tidy but doesn’t really like to tackle. SW is an ok midfield option but not one to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.
    Fooled me last night then when he was steaming into challenges. Surround him with enough energy and he'll be fine, best option we have without Bartley and Milligan.

*Whittaker again, btw*

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Backs up my thoughts that he played really well

Hey!

Looking back I have had time to reflect and you were correct he was never the quickest good going forward and suspect defensively

I wish I had his Bank balance though

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

BillyHibs

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Can't be true, I read on here he didn't have a good game