hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bus dropped us off on Easter Road and couldn’t get in anywhere so sauntered along to Leith Walk which was the same so just got a carry-out and stood outside the Harp, at the Chinese supermarket with a few hundred other Hibernians.

Was absolutely burst by midnight after being on it all day. However, Sunday night in the Hibs club was quality.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Home from Hampden and straight onto Leith Walk with my dad, my brother and some friends. Drunk for three days. Can't remember if I posted on here that weekend
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

First Team Regular
    Was on one of the Tor double deckers bedlam going through but oddly enough quiet as hell coming back everybody in a trance .. then we hit the top of the walk 😂 absolute crazy scenes the bus could hardly get down the street . Back to Tor till yon time , got fone call at 7-30am from my m8 telling me to get round .. the games going on again , by around 10am there was about 20 in his house in Restalrig then down the links . What a weekend that was never ever forget it till the day I die .

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I had watched the game in the house with my wife and sons. My wife was going out for her sister’s birthday so I dropped her off in town then took the boys home. My youngest was already wearing his Hibs top and my oldest asked if he could put his on when we got home. We then spent the evening in the garden bouncing on the trampoline and singing Hibs songs.

Once the boys were in bed I had a few beers which I had been saving for a special occasion while watching the game again. Then watched the highlights.

On the Sunday I took the boys to watch the parade. I intended on parking at Pilrig and watching from the Walk but decided to drive down the Walk to take in the atmosphere. I turned off the radio, rolled down the windows and told the boys to listen. The street was buzzing, it was like nothing I’d experienced before. We carried on to Lochend and went to the Links where we waited ages for the bus, the whole place filled with Hibs songs was incredible. My youngest ended up on a woman’s shoulders, everyone was in a brilliant mood, we had waited lifetimes for this and were finally celebrating together. It was magical.

My oldest son had been to a few games before that, my youngest was too young, but that weekend was when the Hibs bug grabbed them. We’re all season ticket holders now.

Didn't get back to the Borders until about 9pm … We all piled off the bus and into the Swan in Earlston and spent the rest of the evening singing, getting pished and playing kick the can fitba in the pub car park until the police turned up about 11pm and told everybody it was time to go home

After getting back to Gala I was on Hibs.net, facebook and you tube until about 3am and then up again about 8am to get the train into Edinburgh for the parade.

What a weekend it was

Bus dropped us off at the top of Leith Walk and I got a carry out from a wee shop opposite the Harp. At some point I was in a boozer because I remember seeing a lad I know from London on the TV crying as Palace lost the FA cup (his Mrs didn't know he went to the game either... but that's another story)

Ended up in the Hibs Club, nearly got lifted on the bus home, had to deal with some 50 year old ****bo on the bus who was watching YouTube highlights of that final to try wind all the hibs fans up and then somehow made it back to my Grans in Musselburgh.

Then... Sunday!

Testimonial Due
    I was with the old man and a couple of his longstanding pals who he goes to ER with. We got the train through to Hampden and on the way back we just jumped on the first train via Shotts rather than risk the queues at Queen Street. Got chatting to a friendly Motherwell fan who was ecstactic the Huns hadn't won.

Had arranged to meet a mate of mine from down here who'd recently moved to Leith in the Cask and Barrel Southside - near to where my old man stays - had several drinks there and then me and my mate (a Man City supporter) decided to hit Leith Walk so my old man and his mates could get home.

The only problem was it was my birthday on the Sunday and I'd promised to be back to celebrate with my boys in London, so had booked on the overnight coach which left at midnight. It only had one toilet and I had a bladder full of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was with the old man and a couple of his longstanding pals who he goes to ER with. We got the train through to Hampden and on the way back we just jumped on the first train via Shotts rather than risk the queues at Queen Street. Got chatting to a friendly Motherwell fan who was ecstactic the Huns hadn't won.

Had arranged to meet a mate of mine from down here who'd recently moved to Leith in the Cask and Barrel Southside - near to where my old man stays - had several drinks there and then me and my mate (a Man City supporter) decided to hit Leith Walk so my old man and his mates could get home.

The only problem was it was my birthday on the Sunday and I'd promised to be back to celebrate with my boys in London, so had booked on the overnight coach which left at midnight. It only had one toilet and I had a bladder full of beer..
    Was it the old juice bottle manoeuvre?

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Walked into Central Glasgow with my Dad and got bus back to Edinburgh from Buchanan St. We decided to leave the drinking until we got back East. Hit the Cask and Barrel for a few. It closed a bit early that night. Taxi home, driver was a Hibby. Drank champagne and rewatched the match. Sunday walking from the Royal Mile down Leith Walk to the links behind the open top bus was great as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    If you spend the next 8 months on the moon, we'll win the league.
    I’ll do my best. Bit of a waste of a ST though 😉

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    From the final whistle to half way back to Edinburgh in the car... I don't really remember anything. I was halfway through and like a shot it hit me. We had ended the hoodoo.

I got home to Ratho and remember being greeted by my GSD who could tell I was on cloud 9. I wrapped my scarf around his collar, grabbed a cold beer and sang sunshine on leith at the top of my voice while tears rolled down my face. The yam family over the road did not like that 😂😂 for the rest of the night I drank many many beers and watched the game again and again in different commentaries from different streams.

Nostalgic feelings coming over me, Friday night is sorted for me...

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Drove my dad and his pal home after the game. Dumped the car, kissed the kids then got a train into town.

Went to Middletons, well stood outside most of the evening with a carryout from the co-op listening to someone shred their hands drumming a wheelie bin.

Was fantastic.

Back up Leith the following day with the kids and my dad for the parade.

Was with my wife, brother and dad. Went back to the Corinthian initially... Hilarious as that's where they'd booked the rangers 'afters' ... Lots of glum faces and a few free programmes. Then on the train back home with the folks to pick up my kids from my best mate (Jambo) who congratulated me with a dram and a hug then back to the house with all our close family, watched the re run of the game, cried again and headed for bed. Sunday was what it was, on par with the win,one of the best days of my life. I'll never forget my dad at the 5-1 game, refused to leave and just stood at the top of the steps saying, that's it Sean, I'm never going to see this ****ing thing..... Standing with my dad on the 21st May will stay with me till the day I die!

Drove home to Falkirk, got quickly changed and then got a train through to Waverley. The journey on the train was made quite memorable by my mate who said in a deadpan voice to a lone Rangers fan on the train;

"Tough day...?"

Whilst on the train, we booked in for the night at the Premier Inn near Haymarket. We then went round the centre of Edinburgh, ended up in numerous establishments and ended up back at the Premier Inn about 4am. I then woke up about 8 or 9am, semi-dressed and lying on the bathroom floor next to the toilet with chips and curry sauce all down my top and my trousers. I have no recollection of how this had happened!

I felt absolutely awful but still managed to get myself up and dressed in time for the parade before heading back home on the Sunday night.

Best weekend of my life, I would do anything to experience it all again.

My only regret was not going down to Leith on the Saturday night and instead staying in the city centre.
    Last edited by Sir David Gray; 12-10-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Drove home to Falkirk, got quickly changed and then got a train through to Waverley. The journey on the train was made quite memorable by my mate who said in a deadpan voice to a lone Rangers fan on the train;

"Tough day...?"

Whilst on the train, we booked in for the night at the Premier Inn near Haymarket. We then went round the centre of Edinburgh, ended up in numerous establishments and ended up back at the Premier Inn about 4am. I then woke up about 8 or 9am, semi-dressed and lying on the bathroom floor next to the toilet with chips and curry sauce all down my top and my trousers. I have no recollection of how this had happened!

I felt absolutely awful but still managed to get myself up and dressed in time for the parade before heading back home on the Sunday night.

Best weekend of my life, I would do anything to experience it all again.

My only regret was not going down to Leith on the Saturday night and instead staying in the city centre.

A lifelong memory for you mate.

I went for a quiet meal in Stirling with the wife and then we had an early night. I can't say my mind was on the job though.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I went for a quiet meal in Stirling with the wife and then we had an early night. I can't say my mind was on the job though.

Well!! We were all there, myself (Mrs WoreTheGreen), Mr WoreTheGreen, our son, 2 daughters, daughter's partner, brother in law and our neice - we are all life long Hibbys, been to many many matches at Hampden including the one we will not mention, we never ever thought we would see this day, we were all on edge for the last few minutes, when the final whistle blew and Hendo sprinted across the pitch my son jumped on his dad who was sitting holding his head with the tears streaming, we were all in shock/disbelief, the walk back to the coach was surreal, everyone was the same, in a state of mind blowing shock, we all had a few drinks on the coach with everyone discussing the game, still very subdued, my son bought a flag on our way back to the coach that we left in the care of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on arrival back to Edinburgh, we went to The Cask and Barrell for a few drinks, it was rammed but everyone was shocked, we left after a few, came home and watched the match again, crying happy tears all the way through... Sunday!!!!! It was amazing, we had a magnum of Moet Chandon that we were given when our son was born 25 years previously, we said it would only be open if we ever won it, we had the whole family up for the grand opening, it was hilarious, big build up and...... nothing, no loud pop, we took a few photos then we left for the parade/links, fantastic day, will remember it for the rest of my life, we had a carry out at the links then ended up in The Four in Hand afterwards, what a party, best weekend of my life, would never ever be reciprocated, took a week for my voice to return...

After the game went back to where I stayed in Blackhall at the time and got the Mrs to drive me to Robbies bar where I met my brother, cousin and other friends. It was a lock out but we were singing, drinking, dancing in the streets outside for ages! Then wandered up Leith Walk found a bar that let us in Jerimiahs Taproom and singing to Hibs songs in the pub. Off to Pivo then back home about 3am. Knackered but up again early the next day to go back to Leith and soak up the celebrations at the parade.

Great weekend. We could win the cup again but doubt the atmosphere will be as good as that

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Promising Youngster birdspotter's Avatar
    After the game couple of mates and I headed for the Corstorphine Inn after dropping off the mates cars and family members.
    Spent a few hours sipping beer in a packed out bar with one guy continually on a loud hailer singing "quarter to five, quarter to five, we've no won the big cup since quarter to five" backed by a couple of hundred Hibbys!
    Never made the parade as headed off on holiday the next day where I sang about "quarter to five" for the next week or so!! GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Hope you didn't shout out "Henderson to deliverrrrr" at the end!

Was dangerously p!shed.

Had to go to my scratcher about 10pm.

Gid though!!

Nashed back from Hampden in time to go to Mary Poppins at the Festival Theatre. Actually missed the first 30 minutes of the show.

My mum had bought tickets for herself, me, the wife and our daughter months earlier. She had asked if I was free on the 21st May. How was I to know.

Show was brilliant.

Ran the missus and child home afterwards then dropped my mum off at hers. Took a drive around but it was getting late by then.

On the Sunday stood at the Omni Centre until the bus came down Leith Street and then followed it down to Leith Links.

Fabulous weekend.

Spent the night down Easter road and leith, buying cabbages and throwing them up and down the street trying to re-enact David grays winner..bit of a sore head the next morning!

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Well!! We were all there, myself (Mrs WoreTheGreen), Mr WoreTheGreen, our son, 2 daughters, daughter's partner, brother in law and our neice - we are all life long Hibbys, been to many many matches at Hampden including the one we will not mention, we never ever thought we would see this day, we were all on edge for the last few minutes, when the final whistle blew and Hendo sprinted across the pitch my son jumped on his dad who was sitting holding his head with the tears streaming, we were all in shock/disbelief, the walk back to the coach was surreal, everyone was the same, in a state of mind blowing shock, we all had a few drinks on the coach with everyone discussing the game, still very subdued, my son bought a flag on our way back to the coach that we left in the care of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on arrival back to Edinburgh, we went to The Cask and Barrell for a few drinks, it was rammed but everyone was shocked, we left after a few, came home and watched the match again, crying happy tears all the way through... Sunday!!!!! It was amazing, we had a magnum of Moet Chandon that we were given when our son was born 25 years previously, we said it would only be open if we ever won it, we had the whole family up for the grand opening, it was hilarious, big build up and...... nothing, no loud pop, we took a few photos then we left for the parade/links, fantastic day, will remember it for the rest of my life, we had a carry out at the links then ended up in The Four in Hand afterwards, what a party, best weekend of my life, would never ever be reciprocated, took a week for my voice to return...
    That would be this flag then! 541F4E97-C61F-4A83-953B-CD2B639AC10F.jpg

Always thought it would be the biggest pish up of my life if I could see us winning the SC, but had been unwell for over a year leading up to it, with 2 spells in hospital in March and April, (one on blue light). Watched the Conrad Logan semi in RIE and requested SOL on hospital radio that night which I listened to in the dark when lights were out - weird and emotional.

So, was just delighted to be there at Hampden on 21/5. Never drank at all and after the greatest day ever and getting dropped off by the bus, my nephews, mate and me had bacon rolls at my house and then I took a full car of them down to Leith, met a crowd down in Duke Street, hugged everyone again, toasted with a pint of water and headed back home again.

Was sitting on my sofa with my wife, watching *****y telly by 10pm with the biggest smile on my face. Couldn’t have been happier.!

Got regular texts from mates and nephews til 3/4am ‘living’ it for me. Still got them somewhere.

The parade next day was beyond words.

If you’re a Hibby, it doesn’t matter what you were doing or how you celebrated it, the spirit flowed through everyone that incredible weekend.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Always thought it would be the biggest pish up of my life if I could see us winning the SC, but had been unwell for over a year leading up to it, with 2 spells in hospital in March and April, (one on blue light). Watched the Conrad Logan semi in RIE and requested SOL on hospital radio that night which I listened to in the dark when lights were out - weird and emotional.

So, was just delighted to be there at Hampden on 21/5. Never drank at all and after the greatest day ever and getting dropped off by the bus, my nephews, mate and me had bacon rolls at my house and then I took a full car of them down to Leith, met a crowd down in Duke Street, hugged everyone again, toasted with a pint of water and headed back home again.

Was sitting on my sofa with my wife, watching *****y telly by 10pm with the biggest smile on my face. Couldn’t have been happier.!

Got regular texts from mates and nephews til 3/4am ‘living’ it for me. Still got them somewhere.

If you’re a Hibby, it doesn’t matter what you were doing or how you celebrated it, the spirit flowed through everyone that incredible weekend.

GGTTH
    Great post. I guess we all have 'the perfect' celebration in mind.

Tear jerking day. Had my boy and we were celebrating before the game in Blantyre miners club. By the time we left the pitch, drunk the bus home and hugged everyone we were in bed by 11.

Sweating bullets during parade 😀😀

Still get emotional today. Told my son when he wee 'our day will come'

It did!

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post

GGTTH
    Definitely. Great post, hope all that's behind you now Roxy and you're well.

That weekend was just fantastic. All too fleeting. When we equalised I knew we would win it. Never had that feeling before, ever, with Hibs in any match. Something was in the air. The Time For Heroes captured it. I was getting sick of travelling up to see us lose in Finals. After the League Cup v RossCo, which I was pretty sure we'd win, I had no expectation on May 21st just a calm serenity about it all - what will be... Was always convinced I'd see us win that trophy. Still think I will again.

I'd give an awful lot to just experience again the moments from that corner to leaving Leith Links the next day. It feels surreal now. An amazing couple of days.
    Last edited by Baader; 12-10-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Coaching Staff
    I could not make the final for work reasons (sadly) and it was the first time I hadn't done a superstitious thing before finals we'd got to, that being a solitary walk round Flotterstone to clear my head and say a wee prayer hoping we would win..........I remember feeling a little 'tormented' that I hadn't been able to do my traditional clear the head walk and thinking we'd lose because of it.

My other half was up north on long-term attachment and had (has) no interest in football and had no inkling how I was feeling - I was in Edinburgh and she was up there, and thankfully I could 'enjoy' watching the game at work without her interrupting asking what colour strips each team played in .

Come final whistle I found myself really overwhelmed, something I didn't expect as I'm usually very stoic - but I immediately thought of my late grandad and my dad - both Hibs supporters and both very influential in my life yet I probably hadn't (haven't) opened up and told them that such was our closed relationship with each other. Both of them loved Hibs and passed it on to me. Both absolute gentlemen and legends in my eyes still.

So I phoned my dad a minute after the final whistle and we shared a really really precious moment on the phone to each other, which perhaps transcended the game and result itself. Something I won't forget, and perhaps, makes up for not being there to be honest.

Then I got very drunk and got it in the neck for phoning my missus at stupid o'clock when she was 'on call' at the RAF base and for not returning her texts

Couldn't get a ticket so watched the game with two Hibs mates and too many huns in the boozer in fife. Refused all bevvie ''as I need to drive to Easter Road to see the cup come home'' Huns offered plenty bevvie as it became obvious we were going to win. Was at the famous 5 stand as the cup came home. Had a sesh and stayed in Edinburgh, enjoyed the parade on Sunday.