hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Golf 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BBC's coverage has been shocking for a while don't think Sky can be any worse
    I agree that the BBC coverage has not been great recently. Personally, I think Alliss should have been retired years ago and some of the commentators like Mark James are tedious.

But the fact that it was on the national channel gave it a special atmosphere. Same with Wimbledon - something big and special.

Maybe I am sentimental but once the tennis eventually goes that's it. Apart from Strictly Come Dancing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Well done.

I've yet to be convinced of the merits of 9 hole competitive golf although I can see why the legislative bodies like SGU are pushing for Clubs to make it ready available to its Members.
    I think it's perfect for through the week at this time of year. Keeps folk using the club and a competitive edge thru the week. Its basically a sweep with a chance to work at your handicap.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I played at Kilspindie yesterday and noticed in their on course dress code that 'trainer type' golf shoes were not permitted. Is this not a bit outdated, given the popularity of expensive spikeless soft shoes and trainet type shoes?
    Hmm......I'm a member there and didn't know that!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I think it's perfect for through the week at this time of year. Keeps folk using the club and a competitive edge thru the week. Its basically a sweep with a chance to work at your handicap.
    I can see the merits but it's a tad unfair that Category 1 golfers are excluded and thus not permitted to play for a score for handicap purposes. The system is also a bit "contrived" in so far as each competitor is awarded a neutral 18 points for the nine unplayed holes - I presume this will be to meet the requirements of the handicap computer software.

I can see the merits but it's a tad unfair that Category 1 golfers are excluded and thus not permitted to play for a score for handicap purposes. The system is also a bit "contrived" in so far as each competitor is awarded a neutral 18 points for the nine unplayed holes - I presume this will be to meet the requirements of the handicap computer software.
    We have a 11 hole eclectic at our club with 3/4 handicap.. ( not official comp) what I would say is that the cat1 guys have no chance. Just the nature of the competition. Maybe the same would apply here ? Just a thought.

Didn't know about the cat one golfers being excluded for handicapping. Why do they do that? Doesn't make any sense for me. On the points thing at my club it's 18 points for par golf and the back nine ignored. We use v1 rather than club 2000 tho. A new nine hole course for the front nine has been graded by the SGU and certified for competition too. CSS etc for the new one produced too.
    Last edited by greenlex; 05-10-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Didn't know about the cat one golfers being excluded for handicapping. Why do they do that? Doesn't make any sense for me. On the points thing at my club it's 18 points for par golf and the back nine ignored. We use v1 rather than club 2000 tho. A new nine hole course for the front nine has been graded by the SGU and certified for competition too. CSS etc for the new one produced too.
    Yes, all Clubs are required to obtain a certified 9 hole par and SSS rating from the SGU should they wish to hold 9 hole comps. The stroke index is also revised accordingly.

I've no idea why Category 1 golfers are excluded, they are similarly prevented from participating in the Supplementary Score system. Its victimisation I tell ye!
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 05-10-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Yes, all Clubs are required to obtain a certified 9 hole par and SSS rating from the SGU should they wish to hold 9 hole comps. The stroke index is also revised accordingly.

I've no idea why Category 1 golfers are excluded, they are similarly prevented from participating in the Supplementary Score system. Its victimisation I tell ye!
    Madness GB. The name if the game is getting players out playing and getting improved.👎

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Well another crap season, apart from getting my record score last week by 5 shots!!!!! 47 stableford points, my mates weren't happy 😀

@hibs.net private member

They can put scores in as of a couple of years ago, unless the system has been changed back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkydunc View Post
    They can put scores in as of a couple of years ago, unless the system has been changed back again.
    The procedure for Supplementary Scores changed wef last season and did effect Category 1 golfers in so far as they can't participate between 1st March and 31st August. For the remainder of the year(s) the Handicap Authorities have graciously allowed them to submit supplementary scores (up to 3) but only if they've not managed to submit 3 scores for handicap purposes during the main golf season.

As for the 9 hole comps, then to my knowledge the poor category 1 guys have never been allowed to submit scores for handicap purposes.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 20-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    That's poor like. I only managed 3 scores last year as my club only has Saturday medals and I can't really manage them during the summer. I don't see the problem with handing supplementary scores in, it's no different to many clubs that just have medals where you can pitch up with your mates and play.

That's poor like. I only managed 3 scores last year as my club only has Saturday medals and I can't really manage them during the summer. I don't see the problem with handing supplementary scores in, it's no different to many clubs that just have medals where you can pitch up with your mates and play.
    It's a mystery why Category 1 (5 handicap and under) are treated so differently to other golfers. I can, however, see a case for the elite who are scratch golfers and better as there's a huge difference between them and your average 5 handicap Club golfer.

@hibs.net private member
    Agreed. I'm lucky enough to just be in that "elite" bracket you mention but I'm not quite low enough to get into the 72 hole sgu events. Not that I would play in many to be honest. I think a lot of those guys have slightly artificial handicaps as they only play in these and the standard scratch is nearly always 2 or 3 over, which is understandable, but that means that one round in 4 under par keeps their handicap about even, whereas if they were playing most weeks in medals their h/c would begin to sneak up. Not really a gripe but more of an obersvation.

Agreed. I'm lucky enough to just be in that "elite" bracket you mention but I'm not quite low enough to get into the 72 hole sgu events. Not that I would play in many to be honest. I think a lot of those guys have slightly artificial handicaps as they only play in these and the standard scratch is nearly always 2 or 3 over, which is understandable, but that means that one round in 4 under par keeps their handicap about even, whereas if they were playing most weeks in medals their h/c would begin to sneak up. Not really a gripe but more of an obersvation.
    Unless your able to compete at the top end of the 72 hole events it really isn't worth it. Two 5 hour rounds on a Sat and scrape into the cut to play two 5 hr rounds on Sunday for basically nothing. Chuck in travelling and or accommodation too. If you are working that's your weekend gone and it's back to the grind. Most of the top end players don't work and are full time amateurs. Your not missing anything.

@hibs.net private member
    I know quite a few guys that do/ have done it. I know of one guy who is now 27 and hasn't done a days work in his life. All to maintain a +4 handicap at the expense of us, the guys that pay our sgu fees each year. The whole system needs looked at because I cannot think of one player who has done anything of note in the pro game since "graduating" from this sgu squad system that is supposed to prepare them for the professional game.

I know quite a few guys that do/ have done it. I know of one guy who is now 27 and hasn't done a days work in his life. All to maintain a +4 handicap at the expense of us, the guys that pay our sgu fees each year. The whole system needs looked at because I cannot think of one player who has done anything of note in the pro game since "graduating" from this sgu squad system that is supposed to prepare them for the professional game.
    Couldn't agree more.

Scotland doesn't have one player under the age of thirty on the full European tour and for a nation with so many golf courses and so many golfers as us it's all very disappointing.

Having said that, I've no idea what the answer is but I'm totally against the policy of the SGU offering initial financial support to Amateurs who decide to try and making a livelihood as a professional golfer. Once these guys leave the Amateur ranks then that should be it, they're no different from a plumber, a doctor or whatever.

Just back from leven. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Classic links. Not too long and a good mixture of thinking mans holes and the need for length on others, clever bunkering and good greens with subtle breaks. A poor 29 points but had my usual couple of stinkers in there. I'd like another shot of it to be honest. That's me done till March I think.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Played 4 times this week, handicap is down to 14.5 so playing off 15 at the moment.Monday was a scramble, 37 points on wednesday, 38 points Thursday and a whopping 44 points Friday where i hit a drive at the 15th slightly to the right just off the fairway, but both of us couldn't find my ball in the semi rough which was covered in leaves?

Good job these 3 rounds were not in any competitions, and just games with my mates.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Played 4 times this week, handicap is down to 14.5 so playing off 15 at the moment.Monday was a scramble, 37 points on wednesday, 38 points Thursday and a whopping 44 points Friday where i hit a drive at the 15th slightly to the right just off the fairway, but both of us couldn't find my ball in the semi rough which was covered in leaves?

Good job these 3 rounds were not in any competitions, and just games with my mates.
    Bandit

Just back from leven. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Classic links. Not too long and a good mixture of thinking mans holes and the need for length on others, clever bunkering and good greens with subtle breaks. A poor 29 puoints but had my usual couple of stinkers in there. I'd like another shot of it to be honest. That's me done till March I think.
    Yip, Leven is what I would term an old fashioned golf course which doesn't make it any less enjoyable to play. Nearby Lundin Links is another cracking course.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Bandit

Played yesterday and scored 40 points, came 2nd. Expecting another cut, but to be fair i'm playing better than 15 on a more regular occurrence these days and that is why we all play the game.

Yip, Leven is what I would term an old fashioned golf course which doesn't make it any less enjoyable to play. Nearby Lundin Links is another cracking course.
    My only ever hole in one was on Lundin Links. I think my card for adjacent holes was 7-1-6 :)

Remember high fiving with fellow golfers on a tee over the dyke playing Leven. Magic.

It's been another very sad day for Scottish Golf with not one of our players making it through Q School, the consequence of which is a failure to secure playing rights for next seasons full European Tour.

Andrew McArthur and Jamie Mcleary did manage to qualify via the route of the Challenge Tour but the shocking/embarrassing statistic is that Scotland (the home of golf) does not have one player under the age of 30 on the full European Tour.

There's something far wrong somewhere.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 19-11-2015 at 04:48 PM.

It's been another very sad day for Scottish Golf with not one of our players making it through Q School, the consequence of which is a failure to secure playing rights for next seasons full European Tour.

Andrew McArthur and Jamie Mcleary did manage to qualify via the route of the Challenge Tour but the shocking/embarrassing statistic is that Scotland (the home of golf) does not have one player under the age of 30 on the full European Tour.

There's something far wrong somewhere.
    Why is this happening? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Why is this happening? Any thoughts?
    No idea, It's probably a combination of a number of factors. We seem to perform reasonably well in the Amateur game (at all levels) but there seems to be a real problem when it comes to the transition to the Professional tours.

It could be a lack of commercial sponsorship, not dedicated enough, poor weather, unwillingness to travel - to name but a few.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    No idea, It's probably a combination of a number of factors. We seem to perform reasonably well in the Amateur game (at all levels) but there seems to be a real problem when it comes to the transition to the Professional tours.

It could be a lack of commercial sponsorship, not dedicated enough, poor weather, unwillingness to travel - to name but a few.
    If you compare major wins with size of population from say, 2000, then the best by far in the world is Northern Ireland. Maybe it's just a "golden generation" and won't last, though success can breed success. Or are they doing something significantly better than England, Wales and Scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    If you compare major wins with size of population from say, 2000, then the best by far in the world is Northern Ireland. Maybe it's just a "golden generation" and won't last, though success can breed success. Or are they doing something significantly better than England, Wales and Scotland?
    No idea really.

I have a regular "conversation" with a member of my own club who was previously on the SGU Executive. He maintains that Scotland, as a nation, do reasonably well on the European Tour when you consider the size of our population and the number of pros we have on the tour. For my part I argue that more relevant performance indicators would be based on the number of golf courses and the number of club members/golfers who are actually playing the game.

Rory's got his mojo back. Tremendous.

Rory's got his mojo back. Tremendous.
    The outrageous bogey putt on 17 won it for him. The professionals play a totally different game from me. I can hit a good solid 6 iron 155 yards and that's 9 iron or even wedge distance for them. Sickening I tell ye!