Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar

Possible fun and games on 12th July

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40325550

Lesser greens v Irish Sevco (maybe)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Linfield v Celtc in Belfast on 11th or 12th July? Good grief

Part of me wants Linfield to win their tie and set up a pummelling off Celtc but it would probably be best for everyone if they lose to the San Marino team.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The game will be moved. Celtic playing a loyalist team in Belfast could single handedly start a riot.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Celtic playing away in Belfast on 12th July would be quite simply hilarious. I'm sure the 12th July is a holiday over there aswell? :

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Celtic playing away in Belfast on 12th July would be quite simply hilarious. I'm sure the 12th July is a holiday over there aswell? :
    12th July is a bank holiday (Orangemans day) . Taken on the 12th as well (not moved to a Monday). Plenty of bonfires on the 11th night as well.

Backwards morons

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    The San Marino tie is a gimmy. This is going to get interesting

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Backwards morons
    Aye but Linfield have their faults too
    Last edited by Mr White; 19-06-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    The game will be moved. Celtic playing a loyalist team in Belfast could single handedly start a riot.
    We should be dealing with the conditions that make this the case rather than moving football games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Aye but Linfield have their faults too

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We should be dealing with the conditions that make this the case rather than moving football games.
    Mmm! Solve the Irish Sectarian problem or move the game. Tricky one that.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    I would suggest that should this result in a riot then both teams get kicked out to be replaced by the winners of their respective 2nd tier leagues. Thus keeping the Champions league meaning intact.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    There's no way Linfield should play Celtic in Belfast on 12th July; there will be more than enough craziness on the streets already. Public safety has to be the top priority.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I say let them get on with it. If they want to cause trouble over events that occurred hundreds of years ago let them. Has no impact on my or my family's life so couldn't care less what the bigoted idiots do to each other. With any luck it will make them see how embarrassing they all are. Probably not though.

I say let them get on with it. If they want to cause trouble over events that occurred hundreds of years ago let them. Has no impact on my or my family's life so couldn't care less what the bigoted idiots do to each other. With any luck it will make them see how embarrassing they all are. Probably not though.
    Sounds fair enough to me.

Celtc did play in Belfast recently in fairness albeit against Cliftonville so presumably on safer turf, as it were.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Unfortunately, as ever in Northern Ireland, it would be those in the middle that would be the victims of the morons.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Couldn't care less is not the correct attitude to a scenario that has the potential to get very nasty and put lives at risk.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I think there is probably a high risk of innocent people getting drawn in just by being there though. If hibs were there on a July 12th fixture I'm sure you'd still find pockets of bother (not to the same extent probably) that anyone could end up being in the wrong place for.

It should be pointed out at every opportunity how backwards and stupid sectarianism is as often and at as high profile a level as possible to dissuade people and make them realise how the majority from the outside looking in think about it all. Then policed heavily with a low tolerance for trouble after that for those that don't get the message.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Right, you've got 3 weeks. What do you suggest?
    :)

It defies belief that in this day and age a team from one country playing a team from another country on a certain date should raise any questions. What kind of an intolerant world is that to live in.

Ach, there'll hardly be any Celtc fans there anyway (assuming linfield get through) . All the flights from Glasgow to Belfast + the Stranraer ferries were booked up by huns months ago!!

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Ach, there'll hardly be any Celtc fans there anyway (assuming linfield get through) . All the flights from Glasgow to Belfast + the Stranraer ferries were booked up by huns months ago!!
    This is a shocking post from someone clearly stuck in the past.

They shut the Stranraer port and moved it to Cairnryan a few years back

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    The Linfield chairman has apparently met with the Celtc (sic) executives over lunch after the draw was made, and they've agreed it won't be the 'glorious twelfth' (I think it's the 'Battle of the Boyne' Bank Holiday, according to my iPhone!)...it'll most likely be the 11th, and possibly with an early kick off...

No matter what way you cut this, playing it in Belfast even proximate to that date is a powderkeg waiting to go off. Factor in the current tensions surrounding the Conservative/DUP alliance threatening the Good Friday Agreement, and add in the uncertainty of a possible hard border between the Republic and Northern Ireland following the Brexit negotiations and you have a proper perfect storm.

Mon' the San Marino minnows?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

As an interesting aside, Hibs Ladies are in the draw for the Champions League qualifying groups this Friday. One of the group hosts they could draw is Linfield.

Surely they could switch the ties around so that Celtic have the home game on the 12th July and Linfield are at home the week before/after.

Linfield v Celtic is always going to attract a bit of controversy no matter when it's played but to have it on either the 11th or 12th July is just asking for trouble.

I can't believe the police would allow this either.

UEFA keeps certain countries apart in qualifying groups due to ethno political tensions, why couldn't they do the same thing here?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Surely they could switch the ties around so that Celtic have the home game on the 12th July and Linfield are at home the week before/after.

Linfield v Celtic is always going to attract a bit of controversy no matter when it's played but to have it on either the 11th or 12th July is just asking for trouble.

I can't believe the police would allow this either.

UEFA keeps certain countries apart in qualifying groups due to ethno political tensions, why couldn't they do the same thing here?
    Linfield aren't going to do that from either a sporting or financial standpoint. A home tie first lets them have a wee bit of a go and try and get a result, whilst ensuring the Celtc fans are interested enough to come over. If it goes to Parkhead first and Celtc (probably) tank them 4 or 5-0, there isn't much incentive for them to travel to Windsor Park in any great number.

I dare say the arguments for separating the teams goes out the window when they're the same country. Besides, there's precedent in the past for teams who are at risk of being embroiled in sectarian violence playing each other in Europe - didn't Rangers end up playing Shelbourne on neutral ground?
    Last edited by Sylar; 19-06-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Initial wording suggested I was calling Shelbourne sectarian - not my intention at all!

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Linfield aren't going to do that from either a sporting or financial standpoint. A home tie first lets them have a wee bit of a go and try and get a result, whilst ensuring the Celtc fans are interested enough to come over. If it goes to Parkhead first and Celtc (probably) tank them 4 or 5-0, there isn't much incentive for them to travel to Windsor Park in any great number.

I dare say the arguments for separating the teams goes out the window when they're the same country. Besides, there's precedent in the past for teams with opposing sectarian ideologies playing each other in Europe - didn't Rangers end up playing Shelbourne on neutral ground?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Sorry, I'm not suggesting Shelbourne to be any kind of sectarian club - merely that a club from Dublin represented a target for sectarian violence (pretty sure that was the reason the game was moved to neutral ground?

Incidentally, it's not the first time UEFA have done this, and the last time it happened (funnily enough) featured a tie between Linfield and Shelbourne in Belfast: https://www.theguardian.com/football...wsstory.sport9

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Sorry, I'm not suggesting Shelbourne to be any kind of sectarian club - merely that a club from Dublin represented a target for sectarian violence (pretty sure that was the reason the game was moved to neutral ground?

Incidentally, it's not the first time UEFA have done this, and the last time it happened (funnily enough) featured a tie between Linfield and Shelbourne in Belfast: https://www.theguardian.com/football...wsstory.sport9
    Yeah it's not ridiculous to suggest someone could die or be seriously hurt at this. It's going to be an absolute mess if it's not policed well.

Hope the matches are televised though

No danger the Irish polis let this game go ahead on the 11th July they have their hands full as it is during this week without every Celtic fan in Ireland descending on Belfast for a bevy and a sing song

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk