hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Scotty Allan

First Team Breakthrough biotech's Avatar
    Can't see Rangers, or many other clubs, wanting a recruit a proven disruptive influence. Maybe, Cathro can sort him out with his laptop!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he was the one that got lucky. His career was going nowhere and I'd say he got more from being at Hibs than we did having him.

McGinn and McGeouch are better players anyway.

Nobody knows what other options he had. Let's agree it was a good fit for each other at the time. But if we agreed to let him move on to a club that can treble his wages at least on a bigger stage I can see both points of the arguenebt. Fact is Stubbs took him to Rotherham so it couldn't have been "that" big an issue to him. It was more of a press thing against Hibs more than anything else, he didn't once come out and say publicly he wanted to move to Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by biotech View Post
    Can't see Rangers, or many other clubs, wanting a recruit a proven disruptive influence. Maybe, Cathro can sort him out with his laptop!
    Where's it proven he's a disruptive influence?

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Exactly, Allan wasn't doing us some charitable favour by deciding to come and play for us in the championship, it was hibs doing the favour by taking on a player who's career had hit a brick wall and we helped revive it.

No, hibs weren't doing him a charitable favour either. It was a good fit at the time and we got lucky getting him at that level. I'm sure he could have went to the prem very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Delivered View Post
    No, hibs weren't doing him a charitable favour either. It was a good fit at the time and we got lucky getting him at that level. I'm sure he could have went to the prem very easily.
    Yes he was a very good capture from Stubbs but Allan was hardly being flooded with offers elsewhere. He's a good player but his career had hit a bit of a dead end. Hibs got him back into the spot light again. Yes, from our point of view it was lucky his career had slumped otherwise we wouldn't have got him but Allan has a lot to be grateful to hibs and Stubbs for.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 17-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Is he actually linked with a move back or is this just 8 pages of nonsense and pointless bickering?
    No, he's not. But it's let folk who hate him vent so that has to be a good thing for society.

Yes he was a very good capture from Stubbs but Allan was hardly being flooded with offers elsewhere. He's a good player but his career had hit a bit of a dead end. Hibs got him back into the spot light again. Yes, from our point of view it was lucky his career had slumped otherwise we wouldn't have got him but Allan has a lot to be grateful to hibs and Stubbs for.
    Indeed. His agent has a lot to answer for. Scott Allan will be a wealthy young man with very little first team football under his belt. The agent is clearly looking to get him as much cash as he can and doesn't seem too fussed as to whether he does anything on the pitch or not.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Indeed. His agent has a lot to answer for. Scott Allan will be a wealthy young man with very little first team football under his belt. The agent is clearly looking to get him as much cash as he can and doesn't seem too fussed as to whether he does anything on the pitch or not.
    With respect, given Allan's diabetes, that might not be that bad a strategy. Aside from the issues with managing the condition, I'd imagine that there's a higher element of uncertainty in the length of his career.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The Agent is employed by the footballer. It's ultimately the player who decides on any offer his agent finds and he can take advice from anyone he wants. Clubs know about players and, as in any other walk of life, networks exist where initial contact can be made without passing by clubs or agents.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I include ability, desire, attitude and consistency when I judge how good a professional footballer is, Scott Allan doesn't even come in my top ten of Hibs players.
    This is what does my nut in, he showed ability for a bit at ER. The evidence is there's something about the guy that suggests the ability isn't often shown. For example his stint at Rotherham.

Coupling that with his conduct or what he allowed to happen on his behalf in his desire to be a the rangers player and I'd say he's nowhere near worth the risk as at now

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    With respect, given Allan's diabetes, that might not be that bad a strategy. Aside from the issues with managing the condition, I'd imagine that there's a higher element of uncertainty in the length of his career.
    I guess that's a fair point but there are examples of other diabetic players where the condition does not appear to have had a detrimental effect on their careers.

Pretty much like most agents, most couldn't really give a **** about what best for the players football career, it's all about milking as much cash as possible from them. They'll be absolutely loving the Chinese these days, thats an agents jackpot these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The Agent is employed by the footballer. It's ultimately the player who decides on any offer his agent finds and he can take advice from anyone he wants. Clubs know about players and, as in any other walk of life, networks exist where initial contact can be made without passing by clubs or agents.
    I get all that but I reckon there are plenty players who would do anything their agent "advises". I'm quite interested in the agent game and there are more than a few unscrupulous characters involved who are more interested in what they can get out of any deal rather than what's in the best interests of the client. There are a lot of gullible - or not very bright - players who sadly fall for it.

I do think that getting Allan was a bit of a coup for Hibs, even if he didn't have many options at that time.

I bought my season ticket off the back of us getting Allan. I hadn't renewed under Butcher and didn't really have any intention of going back that season. But when I saw Stubbs' intention to pass the ball in our friendlies, then we signed Allan I immediately got on board.

I saw him play for Scotland under 21s a few years ago and he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. I was delighted when we signed him and tbh his performances didn't let us down. He even played well after he'd handed in his transfer request.

I do think he's a clown and any chance he has of future success depends on whether he chooses to "screw the nut" at some point or not.

No thanks. He's wasted his talent.

We got Dylan and Hendo as part of the deal and what a contribution they made.

I'd go as far as saying, if we had Allan on the corners at Hampden, it would have been a half arsed attempt to cross into the box and fail to beat first man.

He can rot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    No, he's not. But it's let folk who hate him vent so that has to be a good thing for society.
    As for being a disruptive influence, I believe he was very popular in the dressing room. Every player is going to take the opportunity to substantially improve their income. The real problem lies with SA's agent & the MSM who were completely miffed that Hibs were not prepared to sell our best player for sweeties to our league rival. Ridiculous behaviour on our part, it's every player's god given right to join either of the Uglies when they come calling!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I do think that getting Allan was a bit of a coup for Hibs, even if he didn't have many options at that time.

I bought my season ticket off the back of us getting Allan. I hadn't renewed under Butcher and didn't really have any intention of going back that season. But when I saw Stubbs' intention to pass the ball in our friendlies, then we signed Allan I immediately got on board.

I saw him play for Scotland under 21s a few years ago and he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. I was delighted when we signed him and tbh his performances didn't let us down. He even played well after he'd handed in his transfer request.

I do think he's a clown and any chance he has of future success depends on whether he chooses to "screw the nut" at some point or not.
    A clown ? I reckon I prob made dafter decisions than in my youth than Scott Allan that make me a clown tae ?? So what he left us and has struggled went to a poor Rotherham team & struggled there,u ever thought the manager at Celric didn't fancy him & currently who would you drop from the current Celtic team to give him a game...talk about overreacting this thread will dissapear into the horizon just like the attendance figures thread against UTD did.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    As for being a disruptive influence, I believe he was very popular in the dressing room. Every player is going to take the opportunity to substantially improve their income. The real problem lies with SA's agent & the MSM who were completely miffed that Hibs were not prepared to sell our best player for sweeties to our league rival. Ridiculous behaviour on our part, it's every player's god given right to join either of the Uglies when they come calling!
    The media were a disgrace during the whole thing. They did exactly what Rangers wanted them to and stirred the situation as much as possible. The rangers put in a pitiful offer that they knew fine well hibs would reject but the real aim was to turn Allans head and unsettle the hibs camp as we prepared for the season. As per usual they knew they could rely on their buddies in the media to give them a helping hand. As you say, the way they spun it was how dare hibs say no to Rangers, that big bad hibs were denying poor Scott Allan his big dream move etc.

Yes, imagine the cheek of us not selling our best player to our biggest title rivals, how very dare we not bend over to rangers

Left by mutual consent!
    Ww have more than moved on, we are doing pretty well without him and I am sure Lennon is capable of improving us further.

Allan would improve us but so would Messi. I have certainly moved passed Allan big deal he is good so are 100s of other players who hopefully have a bit more respect.

I'm sure he's acknowledged the club and Stubbs numerous times and it was a good decision to come to us when perhaps better offers where out there, Stubbs said that too so we can't exactly compare him with some French trialist with nowhere else to go that we give a punt to. Many clubs and managers where aware of Allan's potential and I'm sure I read Neilson tried to take him to them too.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post

Spot on.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Scott Alan is a bit of a dick, but he was terrific for us. I never thought i'd say this but i'd take him back, maybe he just fitted in at Hibs i dont know, but he was a pleasure to watch when on the ball driving forward.

As much as we dont want to see it, but John McGinn will be off soon, maybe in the summer, maybe the summer after, but when he goes Allan can fill that role well.

These days if you get a good player, you are lucky if you have him for 2-3 years at best, the more good players you have the better in my opinion, and Allan is good.

Short termism i suppose, but you cant plan more than a year or two ahead with players these days.

Scotty Allan

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Scott Alan is a bit of a dick, but he was terrific for us. I never thought i'd say this but i'd take him back, maybe he just fitted in at Hibs i dont know, but he was a pleasure to watch when on the ball driving forward.

As much as we dont want to see it, but John McGinn will be off soon, maybe in the summer, maybe the summer after, but when he goes Allan can fill that role well.

These days if you get a good player, you are lucky if you have him for 2-3 years at best, the more good players you have the better in my opinion, and Allan is good.

Short termism i suppose, but you cant plan more than a year or two ahead with players these days.
    Allan will be coming towards his peak as well and there won't be the distraction of big money moves getting touted. Whoever signs him next might get 3/4 cracking years of service from him. I'd rather it was us than the yams.
    McGinn will be gone next season so we should be making preparations now for when it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Delivered View Post
    Where's it proven he's a disruptive influence?
    Trying to force through a move to our biggest rivals for that season days before the season begun. Allan didn't want to be here and handed in a transfer request. That's fine. But don't come back a year and a half later wanting to be took back. He's not needed and not wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Is he actually linked with a move back or is this just 8 pages of nonsense and pointless bickering?
    Just rumors.

Don't think it's pointless bickering. Think it's been a pretty good conversation and debate to be honest.

Not one for bringing up such things but i have been surprised that during all the Scott Allen hate fests no one has mentioned the incident in 2012 whereby the car he was driving collided with a pedestrian causing horrendous injury.
    Once recovered the guy took a civil action and Allan was ordered to pay him damages of £6 million pounds. £2 million up front with yearly payments until 2027. Don't know if he has to pay it or his insurance company.

Scott Allan, outstanding football talent, bit of a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Not one for bringing up such things but i have been surprised that during all the Scott Allen hate fests no one has mentioned the incident in 2012 whereby the car he was driving collided with a pedestrian causing horrendous injury.
    Once recovered the guy took a civil action and Allan was ordered to pay him damages of £6 million pounds. £2 million up front with yearly payments until 2027. Don't know if he has to pay it or his insurance company.
    That "incident" was an accident. That's what insurance is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    That "incident" was an accident. That's what insurance is for.
    Something else to hate Allan for.
    Costing us all a packet for increased insurance premiums

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I don't know how it works over there, but in the US there are limits on liability coverage which you can select according to how much you are willing to pay. Then you can buy umbrella insurance fairly easily to raise auto and home liability up to $6m total providing you set liability for those two at least at $1m. Anything higher puts you in front of specialist policy writers. I doubt Scott Allan had the kind of net worth that would have him insured to £6m but I could be wrong and I would be interested to know how much motorists are limited to for insurance claims in the UK these days.