hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any truth that he was flagging towards the end?
    I saw what you did there....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Coults1875 View Post

Surprised no one has compared Pennant to Commons, similar age and career scenarios such as lack of game time in recent years and wanting to move into a potential coaching role if possible.

On paper who would you choose the guy that's been in and around a fair amount of premier league clubs or someone that knows the scottish game?
    Commons appears to be injured though.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Why do folk think that Pennant is after one big last payday with Hibs? Everyone knows we have a wage structure, he will as well, if he plays well enough to earn himself a deal then that's great. If not we can forget all about it.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbycraig View Post
    Just cos a player is a 'hungry young scot' dusny mean they will be any good tho.
    I was a hungry young Scot and now have the middle aged waistline to prove it. I could still do a job for a pub team though.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Champions League Finalist who played for Liverpool and Arsenal? Would bring great experience to our squad in the absence of Holt. Would imagine, like Holt, he will still have that footballing brain to counter his age appropriately.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Players who look after themselves should be able to play until they're in the late 30's. 34 is nothing, why are people getting hung up on his age? All good squads need a mixture of youth and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    I saw what you did there....
    Yeah good one for the sailors out there. Lets up we don't end up paying-off Pennant.

Great player

@hibs.net private member
    Does he still look like he has some pace left?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Players who look after themselves should be able to play until they're in the late 30's. 34 is nothing, why are people getting hung up on his age? All good squads need a mixture of youth and experience.
    As I've said previously I'll let Lennon decide and trust his judgement but it's not so much his age but the trajectory his career has been on. Bury and then the Singaporean league don't shout out to me a player still retaining his skill and desire.

But the club are clearly taking a very close work and if they are happy then fair enough.

I don't know Jermaine or the ins and outs of his past.

People grow up at different rates and learn from different mistakes though. Maybe at 34 he has realised whilst he has made a lot of money from the game he hasn't always utilised the opportunities he has had and maybe he just wants to keep playing out of an enjoyment and love of the game. Maybe his motivation is to have an enjoyable last couple of years at a level he feels he can contribute. Equally he could just fancy what he sees as easy cash for a season, a few nights out in Edinburgh, an easy ride and then swan off into retirement.

The truth is nobody knows how motivated he is or what he has to offer based on either what he has done before or the 55 minutes we saw of him last night. Neil Lennon has obviously see enough in training to suggest he is worth an extended look at and I'm sure he'll make the best decision for Hibs.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I don't know Jermaine or the ins and outs of his past.

People grow up at different rates and learn from different mistakes though. Maybe at 34 he has realised whilst he has made a lot of money from the game he hasn't always utilised the opportunities he has had and maybe he just wants to keep playing out of an enjoyment and love of the game. Maybe his motivation is to have an enjoyable last couple of years at a level he feels he can contribute. Equally he could just fancy what he sees as easy cash for a season, a few nights out in Edinburgh, an easy ride and then swan off into retirement.

The truth is nobody knows how motivated he is or what he has to offer based on either what he has done before or the 55 minutes we saw of him last night. Neil Lennon has obviously see enough in training to suggest he is worth an extended look at and I'm sure he'll make the best decision for Hibs.
    Quite right PB

.....but his wiki entry makes very colourful reading!!

He's played against some of the best players in the world at the highest level and still a far better player than most of those playing in scotlands top flight...i don't care what baggage he has as long as he can do a job for hibs

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Was Sauzee damaging the game?

I'm not bothered how old players are or where they come from. If they add something to the squad that's all that matters. He scored a goal and hit the bar in his first match and he's still being criticised. Mental.
    We will never know. If there was a Scottish player who could have done as good a job on the wage he was on then the answer would be yes.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbycraig View Post
    Just cos a player is a 'hungry young scot' dusny mean they will be any good tho.
    Conversely just because they were a player a number of years ago doesn't mean they will be much use now.just more expensive with no or little added value and possibly stifle a youngsters development into the bargain.

Oh and for the record I'm not saying I don't want him just stating a preference.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Conversely just because they were a player a number of years ago doesn't mean they will be much use now.just more expensive with no or little added value and possibly stifle a youngsters development into the bargain.
    You're making a general judgement there that older players are expensive and adding little or no value.

That's just nonsense. Every player, regardless of age will be judged on what they can bring now to the team.

If there's a cheaper, younger version in the club or available then teams aren't generally daft enough to not take advantage of that and do it as cheaply as possible.

You're making a general judgement there that older players are expensive and adding little or no value.

That's just nonsense. Every player, regardless of age will be judged on what they can bring now to the team.

If there's a cheaper, younger version in the club or available then teams aren't generally daft enough to not take advantage of that and do it as cheaply as possible.
    I was replying to the poster who said just because they're a hungry young scot doesn't mean they are any good. I think I made my point.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    If there was a Scottish player who could have done as good a job on the wage he was on then the answer would be yes.
    There hasn't been a Scottish player that could do the job Sauzee did since Paul McStay

Thought he was very good. Great eye for a pass, great free kick and composed finish for the goal.

Like everyone else he had some poor touches and passes but think he just has that bit of quality to be a bit of an asset for us.

Cheers Andy, that sounds quite positive

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    There hasn't been a Scottish player that could do the job Sauzee did since Paul McStay
    John Collins?

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    I think that is it though, a 34 year old that has looked after himself "Aye", a 34 year old that has not looked after himself eh "Nah"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I'd rather we had a hungry young Scot. Pennant will do a job but he won't be doing it for buttons. It's players like this at this stage in his career that's damaging our game.
    What a bizarre thing to say, damaging our game? Players like Pennant and Holt etc bring a wealth of experience to our game that our own younger players benefit from.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 07-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Pennant

Lennon said he wanted to have a look at him, gave him 55 minuets last night and said he will have another look on Sunday and maybe the Berwick game too... to me that sounds like Lennon think Pennant has something to offer by giving him three games... the fact he scored last night and hit the post, sounds like he off to a good start....

Would he become our most expensive player ever? I think it might be Taiwo just now at around £5m if you count before Hibs but Fletcher if counting after.

Notts C to Arsenal - £2M
    Arse to Birm - £3M
    Birm to L'pool - £6.7M
    Zaragoza to Stoke - £1.725M with options

Probably more for earlier loans too but that alone totals £13.425 Million.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    John Collins?
    Seem to recall Paul Lambert having Zidane in his pocket in a European Cup Final too.......

I thought he did ok. Was expecting him to look unfit but he certainly didn't. Good free kick and made an intelligent run for his goal which paid off. I think the ovation he got when he went off showed the majority of fans were impressed.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Would he become our most expensive player ever? I think it might be Taiwo just now at around £5m if you count before Hibs but Fletcher if counting after.

Notts C to Arsenal - £2M
    Arse to Birm - £3M
    Birm to L'pool - £6.7M
    Zaragoza to Stoke - £1.725M with options

Probably more for earlier loans too but that alone totals £13.425 Million.
    Was the Taiwo deal you mention not covering the transfer of him and another youth player?
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 07-07-2017 at 01:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    John Collins?
    Maybe..to be honest i don't think either McStay or Collins were as good as Sauzee

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Maybe..to be honest i don't think either McStay or Collins were as good as Sauzee
    Neither could lace his boots