hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    This song bugs the **** out of me as well.

I absolutely hated Mercer back in the day - and I've slaughtered his ego, personality , politics and motives on many an occasion - but a song in 2018 about a guy that died in 12 years ago is so cringey. Half the folk singing it weren't even born when he tried to wipe Hibs off the face of the earth in 1990, so why the big interest in him now. Like other posters have said, it's just putting him back in the public eye... which he would love.

Leave him to the history books. His legacy will always be tainted, but there's no place for him in song.

I'm proud of the phrase 'Hibs Class' - but this song is far from that I'm afraid. When have we ever sung about someone dying before (other than the previous Wallace Mercer song!).

Cmon, wisen up and ditch it and get back to being Hibs Class.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    As said earlier, Mercer is fair game. Those of us around at the time will never forgive or forget. I hated the man when he was alive and I still hate him all these years after his death. The original song is/was acceptable IMHO. It was even more relevant after 21/05/16. Not sure why the young team are so obsessed though and the new song is a bit crass. Again, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As said earlier, Mercer is fair game. Those of us around at the time will never forgive or forget. I hated the man when he was alive and I still hate him all these years after his death. The original song is/was acceptable IMHO. It was even more relevant after 21/05/16. Not sure why the young team are so obsessed though and the new song is a bit crass. Again, IMHO.
    Well said. We should rework Elvis Costello's "Tramp the Dirt Down" albeit a difficult one for community singing.

Left by mutual consent!
    it's a catchy wee tune, and quite funny.... good few signing on saturday too... but change the words a wee bit and keep the tune...

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    Eh nah, the mercer song is crass but it doesn't equate to bigotry or racism, nowhere near it. Moronic comment.
    I must be a moron too, as I struggle to see how people can revel in the death of another human being, sing songs about his old-aged widow using sex toys, and then take the moral high ground over sectarian songs.

Both have no place in football, and the line between the two is nowhere near as big as you’re making out. If it helps to satisfy your conscience when joining in then bash on.. but it’s the same level of pathetic excuse that old firm fans would come up with for joining in with the “atmosphere”.

It's a shameful tune.

Singing it brings shame on our club.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I have to admit to not knowing the words to the new song, so I can't really comment on it.

Always thought that the lines:

There's sunshine on Leith
    He's six feet beneath

fitted with the old version quite nicely though.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I'm having a beer just now! 🍺

He's no!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Surely it's a valid distraction to how utterly pish we are at the moment 😂

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    He's no!
    He’s deid

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAgyepong View Post
    During the match the singing section starting singing that dreadful song. “Wallace Mercer’s dead”, load of Sh*t if I’m honest with you. When the team are 2-0 down do you not thing we should be trying out best to motivate the lads? I suggest whenever we sing that song we try our best to drown it out with a proper Hibs song that’s surely better than that P*sh. We are currently playing sh*t so we should sing songs about HIBS and not Wallace Mercer.
    By the way, we weren't 2-0 down at any point.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Rat of a man I'll sing with glory, btw I wasn't born when WW2 happened but i still hate the nazis

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll be damned if the PC brigade take the Mercer song from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    Rat of a man I'll sing with glory, btw I wasn't born when WW2 happened but i still hate the nazis
    As much as I dislike what Mercer attempted to do I don't think that's a particularly appropriate comparison, although I assume your not treating the attempted takeover and the holocaust as similar events.

As others have said most of the singers weren't born in 1990. I think that a lot of the Mercer singing is young laddies playing up, trying to be edgy and controversial. Their counterparts over the other side of the city do it with diet hun stuff, our young team do with this unnecessary pish.

And I do think its unnecessary pish. I was there, attended all the rallys and wore the (HOH) t shirt, but don't feel the need to wallow in his death

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I don’t really have a problem with the original Mercer song. I think he’s fair game. I think the songs about his wife are disgusting. There is the one you refer to but last December there were other Xmas themed ones about her too that I hope don’t get an airing this year.
    Agree with this, no problem with the original song. As said in another post " Wallace Mercer is deid and we're no". Could easily have been the other way roud

Left by mutual consent!
    Mind when they sold Gordon? You’ve just sold your keeper...😄😄

Coaching Staff
    O.p. With very low post count starts thread about Wallace Mercer....

Nothing suspicious about that at all, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    As much as I dislike what Mercer attempted to do I don't think that's a particularly appropriate comparison, although I assume your not treating the attempted takeover and the holocaust as similar events.

As others have said most of the singers weren't born in 1990. I think that a lot of the Mercer singing is young laddies playing up, trying to be edgy and controversial. Their counterparts over the other side of the city do it with diet hun stuff, our young team do with this unnecessary pish.

And I do think its unnecessary pish. I was there, attended all the rallys and wore the (HOH) t shirt, but don't feel the need to wallow in his death
    So I can't sing about 7-0 or 6-2 since I wasn't alive? Will our kids & grankids not sing about 2016 because oh wait you didn't see it l, away and take your face for a ***** at least I'm no sitting on my hands saying nout

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    So I can't sing about 7-0 or 6-2 since I wasn't alive? Will our kids & grankids not sing about 2016 because oh wait you didn't see it l, away and take your face for a ***** at least I'm no sitting on my hands saying nout
    Fire away with the historic and heritage football songs...but let's not pretend they compare them hateful songs about a dead guy and his wife....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mercer is fair game … his family and especially his widow aren't. When there's a thread on Jambos kickback admitting that his actions were shameful and an embarrassment to their club I'll agree its time to stop singing about him

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Mercer is fair game … his family and especially his widow aren't. When there's a thread on Jambos kickback admitting that his actions were shameful and an embarrassment to their club I'll agree its time to stop singing about him
    Agreed

Left by mutual consent!
    Just posting to remind everyone that he’s still deid 👍

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    It's a disgusting song and wholly inappropriate.
    Agreed

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Mercer wasn’t a football fan - he liked rugby
    He wasn’t a Jambo - he was just a wee Tory Bassa who liked the kudos that being a chairman of a football club gave him. He wanted to make money and he’d destroy anything to achieve that. A wee venture capitalist, asset stripping pip squeak of a bloke. .Our club - because of the strength of our Hibee community - proved too strong for the Tory rat to destroy. I hate people like that but I just think it’s sad singing about him as if he was some big deal. I’d feel small singing about a nobody like Mercer.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    I'll be damned if the PC brigade take the Mercer song from us.
    What do you mean from US ? Do you sing it with your mates before you go to school?

Remember if it wasnt for Wallace Mercer we'd have no-one to think about rimming to save us from premature ejaculation (with thanks and a hat tip to irvine welsh).

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Just posting to remind everyone that he’s still deid 👍
    Thank **** for that. **** him and **** all his family as well.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Thank **** for that. **** him and **** all his family as well.
    As has been said before in this thread yes give it tight to mercer but leave his family out of it... No need to involve them

Quote Originally Posted by spikeymike View Post
    As has been said before in this thread yes give it tight to mercer but leave his family out of it... No need to involve them
    Why she married the ****. **** her and the rest of her family, even the distant relatives and their friends as well. And any pets they had.

United we stand here....