hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Ryder Cup Captains Picks

Not long now.....

Westy & Kaymer seem stick-on picks but the 3rd is gonna be a really tough call for Clarke.

With 5 debutants in the team already I think he will have to go with experience which means either GMac or Luke will get a shout.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

G-Mac has been pretty poor? So has Donald.

Russell Knox has been mentioned but I think he might go for Lowry.

Gamer IDs

Donald just finished 2nd at the weekend. G Mac has been poor lately but experience may count.

Wouldn't be troubled by either Knox or Lowry
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donald just finished 2nd at the weekend. G Mac has been poor lately but experience may count.

Wouldn't be troubled by either Knox or Lowry
    Knox is 8/15 to get the wildcard.

Wasn't aware that nine of the team has been confirmed. These are:

Matt Fitzpatrick
    Andy Sulllivan
    Rory McIlroy
    Danny Willett
    Henrik Stenson
    Chris Wood
    Sergio Garcia
    Justin Rose
    Cabrera-Bello

For me, the picks will be Westwood, Kaymer and Knox.

Good team but USA will be favourites! Their team looks too strong.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 25-08-2016 at 09:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Nasty clash of interests on Ryder Cup Saturday - we're at home to Dundee United. Ffs Petrie what are you thinking about.?
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 30-08-2016 at 12:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Nasty clash of interests on Ryder Cup Saturday - we're at home to Dundee United. Ffs Petrie what are you thinking about.?
    Mostly on in the evening though due to the time difference? Certainly hope so as am away on a golf trip to Portugal....play during the day and watch at night.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Mostly on in the evening though due to the time difference? Certainly hope so as am away on a golf trip to Portugal....play during the day and watch at night.
    6 hours time differential but there will be 36 holes on the Saturday (both foursomes and fourballs ) so I think there will be an overlap with the football.

6 hours time differential but there will be 36 holes on the Saturday (both foursomes and fourballs ) so I think there will be an overlap with the football.
    Aye right enough..... looking forward to it. Always great telly.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I'll be gobsmacked if Thomas Pieters doesn't get a good phone call from Clarke after his last two weeks performances under the gun. He'd be in my team.

The patriot in me would like to see Russell Knox getting a pick but I think Clarke will eventually opt for experience. It's still anyone's guess though.

The patriot in me would like to see Russell Knox getting a pick but I think Clarke will eventually opt for experience. It's still anyone's guess though.
    The only thing stopping Pieters inclusion is the amount of rookies already in. I do think not only his form but his manner aand coolness under the gun could be an asset. Reminds me a lot of Stenson. Nothing seems to rattle him. I guess we will find out midweek.

Knox, Kaymer and Westwood/Pieters... Would like to see Beef there mind you!

At Easter Road we play...

Latest on the USA team:

1. Dustin Johnson
    2. Jordan Spieth
    3. Phil Mickelson
    4. Patrick Reed
    5. Jimmy Walker
    6. Brooks Koepka
    7. Brandt Snedeker
    8. Zach Johnson

Captain Davis Love has four wildcard picks and will choose three after the BMW Championship on 11 September.

Love will make his final selection two weeks later after the Tour Championship, only five days before the Ryder Cup starts on 30 September.
    Among those in contention for a spot, along with Fowler, are Bubba Watson, who finished ninth in the standings, and JB Holmes.

Looks a strong team to me. I feel our team lacks strength in depth and will struggle over in the USA. Really depends on how the new players perform.

Gamer IDs

Thomas Pieters gets the 3rd pick. I'm surprised he's chosen to make half the team rookies.

Its a tough ask to win out there already.

Time will tell.

Thomas Pieters gets the 3rd pick. I'm surprised he's chosen to make half the team rookies.

Its a tough ask to win out there already.

Time will tell.
    Unlucky for Knox

I think it was always gonna be between Knox and Pieters. Westwood and Kaymer have the experience. Knox's ranking is impressive but his form right now is patchy at best. Pieters us on fire and has those Stenson like qualities. Both rookies so from that standpoint Pieters would have got the nod from me too.

Pieters is in because he's the form horse - but will he still be in a month's time?

Nice one Rod, the changed kick off time of midday on the Sunday will suit me fine!

Pieters is in because he's the form horse - but will he still be in a month's time?
    I reckon there's more of a chance he will be in good form than Knox. He seems to be able to up his game when it matters too. I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I reckon there's more of a chance he will be in good form than Knox. He seems to be able to up his game when it matters too. I guess time will tell.
    Yip, I tend to agree.

Agree.....the worry is that a few of our team qualified early but their form has tailed off a bit. Thinking of Willet,Wood & Fitzpatrick.

I think we're going to lose this one.

The USA team looks strong already. I'm sure they'll get a boost playing at home.

I feel that Knox would be a better choice than many that are in the team, whether they be picks or not.

Like others have said, we've players who look out of form - eg Willet who's done next to nothing since winning the Masters. You would think he would have got a confidence boost from that. Rory is on a decline, due to putting problems - doesn't give you much confidence in matchplay situations. Stenson has a knock and pulled out of the last competition.

The big question is how will the rookies perform - usually we have one or two who are immense. We need three or four this time. Also, will the 'old' guard continue to impress. Westwood and Garcia are often 'nearly' men - they just don't seem to get the 72 hole competitions over the line. However, in a matchplay sprint, they've always delivered. Is this one Ryder Cup too many for these guys?

Whatever happens, I hope it's great viewing............. and that Europe win again!!!

The more I think about this the more I'm of the opinion that Clarke has got this one so wrong. It's no secret that Clarke and Westwood are the best of buddies and it's also no secret that Westwood's putting is at best "suspect" so how it will stand up to the pressures of the Ryder Cup is anyone's guess. Kaymer's form this season has been pretty poor by his standards but I concede he's been improving of late.

Knox is well in front of the "picks" in the World rankings so had a very strong case for inclusion in the team but Clarke has obviously considered that the experience of both Westwood & Kaymer is more important. Sadly, imo.

The more I think about this the more I'm of the opinion that Clarke has got this one so wrong. It's no secret that Clarke and Westwood are the best of buddies and it's also no secret that Westwood's putting is at best "suspect" so how it will stand up to the pressures of the Ryder Cup is anyone's guess. Kaymer's form this season has been pretty poor by his standards but I concede he's been improving of late.

Knox is well in front of the "picks" in the World rankings so had a very strong case for inclusion in the team but Clarke has obviously considered that the experience of both Westwood & Kaymer is more important. Sadly, imo.
    That's what I think too. We've had a number of Captain's that got it 100% correct (though you could say that McGinley was wrong to pick Gallacher over Donald). Just not sure about Clarke yet and have the feeling it could go badly wrong.

That's said, if he went with seven rookies and lost, we would all be saying why didn't he pick Westwood.

Probably a no-win situation for him. Time will tell.

Is it time yet?!?!

Well it's almost showtime. Ryan Moore added to the US team.
    If it's anything like last nights golf we are in for another cracker.

Gamer IDs

Well it's almost showtime. Ryan Moore added to the US team.
    If it's anything like last nights golf we are in for another cracker.
    Wasn't surprised to see Ryan get the nod after last night.

Not sure his swing will hold up in the white hot atmosphere ahead

Wasn't surprised to see Ryan get the nod after last night.

Not sure his swing will hold up in the white hot atmosphere ahead
    Kinda where I am with Moore. He hit a few sides down the straight before eventually succumbing in the playoff.