hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MB Crunch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do the tactics work? What's to stop Farah going out to run his best possible time in any given race?
    This is what I don't get about athletics either. Surely athletes know the optimum speed that they can cover any distance, albeit the conditions might play into it?

If you know how quickly you can get round then go for it.

I heard someone say after an event recently that the Olympics would be different because it would be much slower and more tactical - run as quickly as you can then and forget about the rest of them!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This is what I don't get about athletics either. Surely athletes know the optimum speed that they can cover any distance, albeit the conditions might play into it?

I heard someone say after an event recently that the Olympics would be different because it would be much slower and more tactical - run as quickly as you can then and forget about the rest of them!
    The other runners could box someone in making it harder to pass, in doing that the runner would have to try and go on the outside meaning a longer way around and obviously using more energy, i only ever done sprints so just guessing, my old coach happened to win an olympic silver with the GB relay team in seoul

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

It has been suggested in the past that athletes don't want to run world records as they would rather do it in diamond league events. There's a sizeable cash incentive to break world records at these meetings. Obviously in races from 400m down they're pretty much flat out and can't really afford to ease up much.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Bit Naive if I may say so IMO is about winning, first past the post, end of. If you have that medal round your neck the time /distance etc you finished with just doesn't mater.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

That approach is ideal for sprinting where you stay in your own lane but too much can go wrong in middle and long distance running so tactics and training for every eventuality are a must I'm afraid.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    That approach is ideal for sprinting where you stay in your own lane but too much can go wrong in middle and long distance running so tactics and training for every eventuality are a must I'm afraid.
    We're missing something, something obvious:

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire...s-have-stalled

The difference between men's and women's 10k doesn't make any sense - I think it's a very valid point about why don't the runners set a faster pace to run mo farah out of it before he sprints to victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ihibs7 View Post
    We're missing something, something obvious:

http://www.runnersworld.com/newswire...s-have-stalled

The difference between men's and women's 10k doesn't make any sense - I think it's a very valid point about why don't the runners set a faster pace to run mo farah out of it before he sprints to victory.

Probably because they can't sustain the fast pace and still be able to compete later in race.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Probably because they can't sustain the fast pace and still be able to compete later in race.
    But they don't even try; how many major championships in a row has the same thing happened?

Seems before the race has started they've all resolved to race for second.