hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    @hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I am not so sure Lennon will be desperate to go back to Celtic - he had a torrid time in terms of the whole bullets in the post, Hearts fan attacking him etc, which he does not get with us. He also guided them to famous victories again Barcelona, got them into the Champions League last 16, won titles etc...he doesn't have much more he could achieve there but would risk his rebuilt reputation as a manager if he went back.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the O’Connor sale and Riordan absence and all the blousing over Murrayfield, Hibs bottled it as a club before the game even started. Impossible to see that happening under Lennon/Dempster.
    We had several big players out and some half fit. There were mitigating circumstances. Oh and Zibi too.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Under Mowbray attendances grew by 40%, the football was exciting and the team successful.
    However, the club was still a shambles as almost all clubs were e.g. training at Wardie Park, playing in a ground with a glorified shed down one side of the pitch, Rod getting abuse as he tried to bring the ground into the 21st century. Lots of financial pressure. Mowbray worked and succeeded under that mess which was no mean feat. He is doing okay in the Championship with Blackburn at the moment

Lennon came in with the club financially stable, east mains in place, the ground finished, on the back of the Scottish Cup win. Massive crowds therefore a good player budget. A good structure at the club of Leanne, George, a happier Rod, medical and analyst back up etc etc etc.

Saying that Lennon has made good use of everything at his disposal. If Lennon, Dempster and Craig stay together we will improve again next season with probably 4 more good signings (this season it was Milligan, Mallan, Kamberi and Horgan). Lennon is only half the equation, with the big crowds financing the recruitment and George and his team finding the RIGHT players.

In conclusion Mowbray and Lennon had different challenges and did/are doing their best for Hibs with what they have at their disposal.

What do they have in common?
    Both got rid of Stokesie after much provocation.
    Just a couple of points.

When was Rod getting abuse with Mowbray in charge about bringing the ground up to date. The East Stand rebuild - and the announcement of it - was way after Mowbray’s time. Mowbray initiated East Mains though.

Stokesie had been nowhere near Hibs during Mowbray’s tenure.

Mowbrays team was great to watch. So entertaining but really inconsistent. Still have the entertainment and inconsistency with Lennon but he has definitely got rid of the 'boy band' image that plagued Mowbrays time.

Injected far more steel into us and a winners mentality so gotta be Lenny. But I liked Mogga and think we could have achieved great things if he stuck around for a couple more years and kept that team together.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    Mowbrays team was great to watch. So entertaining but really inconsistent. Still have the entertainment and inconsistency with Lennon but he has definitely got rid of the 'boy band' image that plagued Mowbrays time.

Injected far more steel into us and a winners mentality so gotta be Lenny. But I liked Mogga and think we could have achieved great things if he stuck around for a couple more years and kept that team together.

Terry Butcher or Colin Calderwood would have had success if they'd been in charge of those players and able to keep them together.

It was never going to be possible though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Just a couple of points.

When was Rod getting abuse with Mowbray in charge about bringing the ground up to date. The East Stand rebuild - and the announcement of it - was way after Mowbray’s time. Mowbray initiated East Mains though.

He never said he was

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just a couple of points.

Mowbray had Stokes at Blackburn which didn’t last that long, like his 3rd stint at Hibs, is what he was referring too.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    He never said he was
    Ah. Did Mowbray boot him out of Celtic. Oops.

Edit - just seen the latest reply re Blackburn.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Ah. Did Mowbray boot him out of Celtic. Oops.

No I think that was Deila or Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Mowbray had Stokes at Blackburn which didn’t last that long, like his 3rd stint at Hibs, is what he was referring too.
    Cheers bud.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Lennon 110%

Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post

Over the piece I don't think you can say results under Lennon have been inconsistent. Performances maybe but very few defeats.

@hibs.net private member
    I don't like comparing current managers to those from a different era, so i'll just say that when Stubbs left us we undoubtedly got the best manager realistically available, and that under Lennon / Dempster the club is in good hands the best possible and this makes supporting the team a joy at this moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    100% Neil Lennon
    Agree : Mowbray inherited a good squad.
    Lennon is making a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by brydekirk View Post
    I would say Mowbray inherited a potentially good squad but he was the one who turned it into literally a good squad.

This was our squad of players as he arrived at the club in the summer of 2004;

Jonathan Baillie (19)
    Gary Caldwell (22)
    Jay Shields (19)
    Gary Smith (33)
    Steven Whittaker (20)
    Scott Brown (19)
    Stephen Glass (28)
    Jamie McCluskey (17)
    Kevin McDonald (19)
    Ian Murray (23)
    Kevin Nicol (22)
    Alen Orman (26)
    Kevin Thomson (20)
    Stephen Dobbie (22)
    Steven Fletcher (17)
    Garry O'Connor (21)
    Derek Riordan (21)
    Colin Murdock (29)
    Grant Brebner (27)
    Alan Reid (24)
    Tam McManus (23)
    Alistair Brown (19)

With the exception of a few individuals, he inherited a very young squad, full of talented players who had yet to reach their potential. He inherited a squad which had just finished 8th in the SPL and then after a few shrewd buys like Murphy and Beuzelin, managed to blend the new guys in with the existing players and got us up to 3rd in his first season in charge. It's a position we haven't managed to finish in since.

We also only had one player over the age of 30 when he took over, which is quite incredible. If you compare that to our present squad, we now have David Gray, Steven Whittaker, Mark Milligan, Marvin Bartley, Lewis Stevenson and Darren McGregor all 30 and above and Efe Ambrose is turning 30 next week. There's a lot of experienced pros around the place for our young talented players of today like Ryan Porteous and Oli Shaw to look up to.

I love Neil Lennon and what he's doing for us right now but I honestly don't see that the gap between him and Mowbray is so big.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I think it's a real shame that so many people on here are being so dismissive of Tony Mowbray and his team.

Short memories indeed
    Yep. You don’t have to put the other person down to stand up for the other.

Both managers advanced our club on the pitch tenfold. As did Stubbsy.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brydekirk View Post
    Lennon inherited a better squad than Mowbray.

Lennon inherited a very strong squad of Scottish Cup winners, high value players and experienced pro's. Mowbray inherited a squad of generally unproven teenagers and turned them into one of the best and most exciting teams we've seen.

Important to remember the huge management experience Lennon had by the time he came to Hibs compared to Mowbray who was just starting out.