hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Used to love going along to Easter Road and all the talented young laddies running oot to the sound of “Teenage Kicks” by the Undertones.

The only thing was because of their youth inconsistency and inexperience they were either brilliant or rubbish.

I remember going up to Tannadice on Boxing Day sadly on the same day as the Tsunami as part of a large travelling HIBS support and the young laddies blew a very good Dundee United team away 4-1 playing fast exciting attacking football throwing caution to the wind.

The 2007 League Cup Win is Tony Mowbrays legacy

Before he chose to leave us I thought Tony Mowbray was the real deal

Neil Lennon is on track to have a better record and ultimately be a better Manager than Tony Mowbray but there is much work still to be done

Who said you win nothing with kids?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    It's kinda silly. Not even close, Lennon for many reasons previously stated.

Neil all the way though Mogga was a breath of fresh air when he came in and we played some seriously good footy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    The fact that 8 of Neil's team have been selected to represent their nations at different levels this week speaks volumes for the team he's managed to put together.
    Mowbray would've had
    Whittaker
    Caldwell
    O'Connor
    Riordan
    Thomson
    Brown
    Fletcher
    Murray
    Zemamma
    Benji

Who were all internationals. Fletcher probably didn't get caps under mowbray but I think rest would have?

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Used to love going along to Easter Road and all the talented young laddies running oot to the sound of “Teenage Kicks” by the Undertones.

The only thing was because of their youth inconsistency and inexperience they were either brilliant or rubbish.

I remember going up to Tannadice on Boxing Day sadly on the same day as the Tsunami as part of a large travelling HIBS support and the young laddies blew a very good Dundee United team away 4-1 playing fast exciting attacking football throwing caution to the wind.

The 2007 League Cup Win is Tony Mowbrays legacy

Before he chose to leave us I thought Tony Mowbray was the real deal

Neil Lennon is on track to have a better record and ultimately be a better Manager than Tony Mowbray but there is much work still to be done

Who said you win nothing with kids?
    Dundee United were hopeless that season, were probably bottom going into that game.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    This. I just don't see a Lennon team losing 0-4 in a Scottish Cup Semi Final v Hertz
    That game was worse than the 5-1 game. In the final i knew we'd get horsed, the 4-0 game I thought we had a good chance.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Dundee United were hopeless that season, were probably bottom going into that game.
    Aye you are probably correct
    They were flirting with relegation all season until they went on a late run beating Rangers Hearts and Dundee eventually finishing ninth
    If you look at my previous posts you will realise that I never let the facts interfere with a good story
    Still enjoyed Mowbrays young team though 😁⚽️👍🏾🇳🇬🏆

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I can see us winning silverware with this team after minor tweaking in January can’t you?
    That would really set him a class apart
    OK he has won the Championship and got us playing with belief but so did McLeish

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Bizarre question, there’s no comparison at all.

Standing ovations after scintillating passages play were common in the old east stand in games we would ultimately end up failing to win.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's hard to pick the most embarrassing derby defeat under Mowbray, regular pumping with 4 goals blasting past Zibi and co regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    It's hard to pick the most embarrassing derby defeat under Mowbray, regular pumping with 4 goals blasting past Zibi and co regularly.
    Yeah we were well beaten quite a few times didn’t even compete

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    That game was worse than the 5-1 game. In the final i knew we'd get horsed, the 4-0 game I thought we had a good chance.
    We had no chance in that game with Riordan, Brown, Killen and Stewart all out injured or suspended. To compound things we'd sold O'Connor days before which was crazy timing.

Mowbray endured some grim derby defeats but he also won a few too, including ending the 'unbeatable' yams' run as well as an all too rare win at Tynecastle.

Mogga was brilliant for Hibs after some horrible years post-McLeish. A third and fourth place finish in his two full seasons with us was good going and he unquestionably laid the foundations for the 2007 League Cup win.

Lennon, though, has taken us to a different level and for as long as he's here we'll always be highly competitive.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Celtic fans in the pub yesterday were saying that lennon is the fans no1 choice to replace brenda at the end of the season
    Would he even want to go back to them? He'll still have a soft spot for them, but doesn't mean he's ready to jump back into that environment. He's happy at Hibs. He's building a cracking team with a fraction of the big boys budget, and I think he relishes the challenge. To take Hibs to the stage where they're challenging at the top will be a massive achievement, and he wouldn't be getting the pressure he'll get in Glasgow to actually do that. He's a fit for Hibs, no doubt, and I think Hibs are a fit for him.

I liked Tony Mowbray... I love Neil Lennon. I hope and pray he'll stay with us and get his legend status.

Mowbray was probably my favourite manager before Lennon. Lennon is a different level though.

Under Mowbray attendances grew by 40%, the football was exciting and the team successful.
    However, the club was still a shambles as almost all clubs were e.g. training at Wardie Park, playing in a ground with a glorified shed down one side of the pitch, Rod getting abuse as he tried to bring the ground into the 21st century. Lots of financial pressure. Mowbray worked and succeeded under that mess which was no mean feat. He is doing okay in the Championship with Blackburn at the moment

Lennon came in with the club financially stable, east mains in place, the ground finished, on the back of the Scottish Cup win. Massive crowds therefore a good player budget. A good structure at the club of Leanne, George, a happier Rod, medical and analyst back up etc etc etc.

Saying that Lennon has made good use of everything at his disposal. If Lennon, Dempster and Craig stay together we will improve again next season with probably 4 more good signings (this season it was Milligan, Mallan, Kamberi and Horgan). Lennon is only half the equation, with the big crowds financing the recruitment and George and his team finding the RIGHT players.

In conclusion Mowbray and Lennon had different challenges and did/are doing their best for Hibs with what they have at their disposal.

What do they have in common?
    Both got rid of Stokesie after much provocation.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 08-10-2018 at 11:19 PM.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    The three derby humpings off Hearts under Mowbray were horrendous, but Mowbray managed to pull a rabbit out the hat following each one that dampened the anger a bit:

First defeat at PBS we then won 3 nil at Ibrox a few weeks later and we won the return derby game which was the unbeatable derby.

Second defeat in January we went to Ibrox the week after and won 3 nil in the cup.

Third defeat (SC semi) we won a few weeks later at Easter Road in the league.

Mowbrays biggest failing for me was his inability to sort our our goalkeeping problem, and even giving Zibby a contract extension. Madness. Lennon would have sorted that situation out I have no doubt.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CathroMustStay View Post
    Yesterday's annihilation of Hamilton was Lenny's 108th game as our manager. It turns out that figure is also the number of games Mogga presided over at Easter Road.

Neil Lennon's current record = P108 W56 (51.9%) D34 (31.5%) L18 (16.6%)

Tony Mowbray's record = P108 W52 (48.1%) D16 (14.9%) L40 (37.0%)

There are various factors to consider. League finishes. Lenny's first season being in the 2nd tier. The context of how strong Scottish football is today in comparison to 2004-06. Youth development. Transfers. Cup records. Derby records. European records.

Tough call but I reckon Lenny edges it, although I think it would be fair to argue that we need a top 3 finish this season for that opinion to be justified.
    N. L by a mile.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Mowbray would've had
    Whittaker
    Caldwell
    O'Connor
    Riordan
    Thomson
    Brown
    Fletcher
    Murray
    Zemamma
    Benji

Who were all internationals. Fletcher probably didn't get caps under mowbray but I think rest would have?
    At the same time though?

I remember Mowbray giving an interview after a game, saying if we played that way every week we would "win more games than we lose".
    That sums up the difference to me. Lennon wouldn't tolerate anyone at the club saying that just now

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Lennon. Top scorers in the league and a very talented squad.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    I remember Mowbray giving an interview after a game, saying if we played that way every week we would "win more games than we lose".
    That sums up the difference to me. Lennon wouldn't tolerate anyone at the club saying that just now
    I may be mistaken but I think Lennon said something similar after the Aberdeen cup game a few weeks ago. I might be thinking of someone else saying it though

Neil Lennon seems to be getting the upper hand on this thread in the battle with Mogga and hopefully he can go onto further success as he moulds this current squad to match his ambition

In my eyes and perhaps in the eyes of some older posters Neil Lennon still has to go some to match imo our best ever Manager and Coach Eddie Turnbulll

It might also be worth asking ourselves the question what if Jock Stein had stayed at HIBS?

That is a big IF but he certainly had HIBS going in the right direction before he left taking Celtic onto European and domestic glory.
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-10-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a real shame that so many people on here are being so dismissive of Tony Mowbray and his team.

Short memories indeed

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Neil Lennon is by far the best Hibs manager in my lifetime. Started going mid/late 70’s when Eddie Turnbull was in decline. Tony Mowbray was our first manager to have me desperately counting the hours until the next game such was the enjoyment of his football, but I have that now and even more so with Lennon. Alan Stubbs is ingrained into Hibs folklore and that goes without saying, but Lennon is streets ahead tactically and his higher demands of the players has upped our level considerably. I’m actually still surprised we were able to appoint such a high profile manager in Neil Lennon.

Left by mutual consent!
    Lennon has built a good side but he's always had the steady base of success to work from.

Mowbray had a disillusioned support, board and team to work with and turned them around very quickly with a few additions of his own too.

Mowbray for me so far. Without him we'd have won nothing in 2007 and we'd probably be sharing Oriam with hertz.

There is no comparison as far as I am concerned.

Lennon by a country mile for many reasons.

Putting aside the goalkeeping issues Mowbray had, he DID have a great squad and some great players. He made an arse of some man management by all accounts, teams were great when great but too often were inconsistent. Worse still; we bottled it when it mattered. As Green Day said, nice guys finish last. Mowbray was by all accounts a "nice guy" (though screwed up the Riordan thing and some other player issues as I mentioned) BUT, he won nothing.

Sick of this pish about how Tony's team won the cup. Tony's team had plenty chances to win a cup; they bottled it. Bottom line. Looked good sometimes but bottled it. Whether folk dewy eyed or not like it, John Collins, was a winner. He won the cup. WITH Tony's Team? I have my doubts on that and if he did, why couldn't uncle Tony manage it with "his" team?

Nice guy but won nothing.

No comparison to Lennon and not so poor off as some suggest.

If Lennon had inherited the "golden generation" I'd wager he would have done more with them, got more from them and won something/more.

No hard feelings to Mowbray; he produced some good football and the results versus der hun were braw. But, ultimately insignificant when we won nowt.

Lennon on the other hand, given some time....who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I think it's a real shame that so many people on here are being so dismissive of Tony Mowbray and his team.

Short memories indeed
    Way of the world. I'm quite confident if Mowbray was currently in charge playing the football we witnessed under him, with all his signings and achievements in those seasons and we were looking back comparing Lennon's tenure (based on achievements to date).. there wouldn't be so many "no comparison" type posts in favour of our current manager.

Just like there will be changes in tone about our current team on here throughout this season. Potentially in about 3 weeks' time! Hopefully it's an even bigger buzz about our current team and manager after seeing off a difficult run of fixtures.

We haven't yet managed to finish 3rd in the top league under Lennon, or win 'meaningful' silverware. Good times at Easter Road and I have every faith in our current boss... but some are forgetting some pretty good times and achievements under previous managers very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    There is no comparison as far as I am concerned.

Lennon by a country mile for many reasons.

Putting aside the goalkeeping issues Mowbray had, he DID have a great squad and some great players. He made an arse of some man management by all accounts, teams were great when great but too often were inconsistent. Worse still; we bottled it when it mattered. As Green Day said, nice guys finish last. Mowbray was by all accounts a "nice guy" (though screwed up the Riordan thing and some other player issues as I mentioned) BUT, he won nothing.

Sick of this pish about how Tony's team won the cup. Tony's team had plenty chances to win a cup; they bottled it. Bottom line. Looked good sometimes but bottled it. Whether folk dewy eyed or not like it, John Collins, was a winner. He won the cup. WITH Tony's Team? I have my doubts on that and if he did, why couldn't uncle Tony manage it with "his" team?

Nice guy but won nothing.

No comparison to Lennon and not so poor off as some suggest.

If Lennon had inherited the "golden generation" I'd wager he would have done more with them, got more from them and won something/more.

No hard feelings to Mowbray; he produced some good football and the results versus der hun were braw. But, ultimately insignificant when we won nowt.

Lennon on the other hand, given some time....who knows.
    Lennon has won nothing either so far? Strange to hold that only against Mowbray.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post

Short memories indeed
    I wonder how Lennon would manage on Mowbray's budget? I also wonder how he'd fare in the Derby game if Hearts still had a £10M per annum player budget.