hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: John McGinn

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art..._campaign=1490

WBA and Sunderland said to be interested. Apparently they'd be able to get him for £1.5m
    There are a great many reasons not to read the Daily Mail. This is just another one.

Don't click the link either - it just encourages them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HibsNutter View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art..._campaign=1490

WBA and Sunderland said to be interested. Apparently they'd be able to get him for £11.5m

I sorted that for the delusional journalist.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    cant see him going for anything higher than a couple of million, really good player but how many teams in scotland apart from celtic sell players for that much money

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Lol 4 / 5 million no problem

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Folk saying "but Barrie McKay is worth 6/7m so we should be looking at that" get real. Firstly a ***** newspaper quoted, sorry, made up that figure so it's nonsense until a bid comes in of that range. Secondly I doubt we will see a figure of more than £4m max for SJM, and even that is a push. £3m is what we will be looking at.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Folk saying "but Barrie McKay is worth 6/7m so we should be looking at that" get real. Firstly a ***** newspaper quoted, sorry, made up that figure so it's nonsense until a bid comes in of that range. Secondly I doubt we will see a figure of more than £4m max for SJM, and even that is a push. £3m is what we will be looking at.
    Weegia journos under the instructions of Jim Traynor i suspect.

Barrie Mackay's stats for a forward playing in the top 3 in Scotland would be lucky if they justified a spend of £200k

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Never mind an English club, sell him to China we'll get about 3 billion for him.
    Good idea, then we can finally afford to fill in the corners at ER!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Good idea, then we can finally afford to fill in the corners at ER!
    We'll call them the McGinn corners in his honour.

It will be brilliant., we'll be top of the SPL, in the Champions league, we'll even have free pies and padded armchairs in the East. Messi, Bale and Holt upfront.

Meanwhile SJM will be living off chow mein and egg foo yung in Tianjin or some place.

If an English EPL club went shopping in Scandinavia for a 22 year old, national Cup winner, internationalist and rated one of the best players in the country then you would've bat an eyelid if they paid £5m for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    I seem to recall Kevin Thomson and Scott Allen going to West Brom and not asking an impression. Also Anthony Stokes didn't make it at Sunderland.

John McGinn needs to be careful here. He is getting into the Scotland squad by playing for Hibs even in the Championship. Will he get in not playing for West Brom?

Not getting a game or being farmed out to an English League 1 or League 2 side is the last thing a player needs at his stage of career.
    True, but there are players who have gone down South and HAVE made an impression.

McGinn will be a confident boy and will fancy his chances to take a step up and make it. He's played a lot of games in the Scottish premier League for St Mirren, has done the business for us in our biggest games and has done well for Scotland when selected.

Robert Snodgrass has made a big impression down South, Graham Dorrans did well for West Brom. Naismith did well at Everton and Norwich. Plenty of players have gone to the Championship and done well.

Whilst he does need to be careful, I don't think he should be fearful and I'd back him to take a step up and make an impact.

I also think we need to be realistic about our place in the footballing world. Whilst we have a lot to offer players on their way up, if a player does well then they will naturally want to move on to play on a bigger stage and earn the money that goes with that.

For me i think what McGinnis worth to us and to other teams down south is worlds apart. The bigger clubs want to come steal pillage and abuse us Scottish clubs let's hope Leann and the tash stay strong and get what we want and not the pennies they think they bully clubs in to taking or even better don't sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    10 mill for them both and we can start talking. Not even joking.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    He will be a Celtc player next season, Rodgers is a big fan.

Is St.Mirren not due a cut of any transfer fee? Heard it could be as high as 30%

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

£3M with Hendo and Mackay-Steven in exchange please.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    We'll call them the McGinn corners in his honour.

It will be brilliant., we'll be top of the SPL, in the Champions league, we'll even have free pies and padded armchairs in the East. Messi, Bale and Holt upfront.

Meanwhile SJM will be living off chow mein and egg foo yung in Tianjin or some place.
    Can we call one of them The Henderson Corner?

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    if so Rodgers may be happy to wait another season. Why would Hibs sell him anyway in the summer with 2 years left....

[QUOTE=JackLadd;4978562]Moyes was at the derby replay. Must think he can land JC and SJM for chocolate money.[/QUOTE

Moyes needs a lot more than these two young boys, yes might fit financial part, but I don't think JC would cope there and being brutally honest I can't make up my mind where Jason in terms of his level of playing ability. Don't doubt he will move in the summer but how it works out will be interesting to see. I think McGinn probably would fit in at Sunderland he has a different mindset and ability, and Championship is probably right stepping stone , but even Sunderland would need to fork out for him and 3-4 million would be about right ..but time will tell.
    Would love to see both stay if we get up and see what they can give us in Premier !!

First Team Breakthrough
    Someone on here was convinced st midden have a 30% sell on clause, hence how we managed to secure him

@hibs.net private member Mike_C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrew_Hibby View Post
    Is St.Mirren not due a cut of any transfer fee? Heard it could be as high as 30%
    My info is £250k - and it goes to the previous owners, not St Mirren!! Info re St Mirren is normally spot on, particularly when it relates to the previous board.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_C View Post
    My info is £250k - and it goes to the previous owners, not St Mirren!! Info re St Mirren is normally spot on, particularly when it relates to the previous board.
    My info is that st mirren are 100% getting 30% of any transfer fee, I'm sure their chairman said as much St the AGM

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    My info is that st mirren are 100% getting 30% of any transfer fee, I'm sure their chairman said as much St the AGM
    He did cant imagine he would say that publically if it wasnt true though stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by djs69 View Post
    Someone on here was convinced st midden have a 30% sell on clause, hence how we managed to secure him
    I really don't think we'd have had to pay a development fee and offer a sell on percentage for a player who was out of contract at the time.

Highly unlikely to be 30%. Most sell on clauses are between 10 and 25% so I would guess it's probably around 20%. McGinn will go for at least £3m as he is such an emerging player. Remember we turned down £1.7m for Jason. I'm sure sjm will want to have a season in the spl with us and I can see him signing a 3 year contract and ensuring we get the proper fee for him. He doesn't seem the type of guy tomove for purely money and given how great we seem to be in the cups he is getting plenty of big games. Definetely stubbsys best bit of business.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    There is no reason to doubt the 30%. It was a figure given by the St Mirren chairman at their AGM after he signed for us. My take is, we couldn't reach the development fee that St Mirren were looking for so to avoid it going to a tribunal we agreed to a substantial sell on.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Think the St mirren chairman was quoted saying 33% for SJM but I'd be tempted, if they go down this season, to offer to buy that clause out for say 100k, guaranteed to save ourselves a whack of cash and st Mirren probably won't be in a position to refuse 100k upfront.

Anyway, get promoted, new contact for SJM, another year from him and then sell him for £3m+ is probably the way it's going to go(hopefully)

Heres a thought, why don't we just don't sell him? Keep him happy, keep his contract decent and we'll have a player for years.

Maybe Super John wants to stay and wants a crack at the Premiership with us?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    Heres a thought, why don't we just don't sell him? Keep him happy, keep his contract decent and we'll have a player for years.

Maybe Super John wants to stay and wants a crack at the Premiership with us?
    Ok, it's a thought, a pie in the sky thought, but it's a thought none the less

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    There is no reason to doubt the 30%. It was a figure given by the St Mirren chairman at their AGM after he signed for us. My take is, we couldn't reach the development fee that St Mirren were looking for so to avoid it going to a tribunal we agreed to a substantial sell on.
    Not my take on it and I'm sure Stubbs mentioned we did pay a fee as we had too but agreed a sell on %. I'm sure sjm wanted to see st mirren looked after.

Having checked the evening news again we paid them £100,000 for McGinn. Every club tends to exaggerate if they are selling a player or say they bought them for less if they are buying. I'm sure if/ when sjm eventually goes we will find out.