hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Strachan away..

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jim Duffy? Very well respected in the game.
    Only if Houston doesn't get it.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Big Sam would an interesting appointment. But it will be someone who has a connection with the Old Firm.
    I'd rather have Cathro before that fud.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I would seriously consider an approach for Derek McInnes.
    He won't want the Scotland gig just now.

His next move when he leaves Aberdeen will be down South.

Is this a whoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Same here, but after turning down the chance to manage in the PL not sure he’d take it. Plus he’s still young and may want to still be involved in everyday stuff that goes with a club manager like training each day and just being involved in club football.

Huge difference from that to managing at international level.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post

I'm not sure that he would refuse it if he was offered the job. For all that Scotland is a basket case when it comes to international football just now, the chance to manage your country doesn't come along every day and it's one of the biggest honours in the game.

He's probably taken Aberdeen about as far as he can and he'll surely see the Scotland job as a huge challenge. I understand there's a difference in that he won't be working with players every day and maybe he won't want to give that up but I would be at least asking him if he is interested.

From the SFA's perspective, they would be neglecting their duties if they didn't show an interest in McInnes in my opinion.

Is this a whoosh
    Shirley!!!

You mean along the m8? Der Hun awaits for him

Derek McInnes
    Alex Neil
    Paul Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'm not sure that he would refuse it if he was offered the job. For all that Scotland is a basket case when it comes to international football just now, the chance to manage your country doesn't come along every day and it's one of the biggest honours in the game.

He's probably taken Aberdeen about as far as he can and he'll surely see the Scotland job as a huge challenge. I understand there's a difference in that he won't be working with players every day and maybe he won't want to give that up but I would be at least asking him if he is interested.

From the SFA's perspective, they would be neglecting their duties if they didn't show an interest in McInnes in my opinion.
    In IMO managing Scotland isn’t as big as it used to be. The Spark kind of went and players would often see them as a inconvenience friendly wise. We all know playing for Scotland should be right up there with the highlight of your career but it lost its mojo. Not saying all players, thankfully we still have guys desperately wanting to play no matter what.

Has it been because of the champions league factor? We already see the best players now with the amount of footy where before a Scotland game in tv was only time you would see a team like France or whoever we’re playing.

Just playing a bit devils advocate here, don’t think there is an answer but I feel modern Football has made us lose focus on our country’s national side. Or is it purely because we’re just ***** 😁

In IMO managing Scotland isn’t as big as it used to be. The Spark kind of went and players would often see them as a inconvenience friendly wise. We all know playing for Scotland should be right up there with the highlight of your career but it lost its mojo. Not saying all players, thankfully we still have guys desperately wanting to play no matter what.

Has it been because of the champions league factor? We already see the best players now with the amount of footy where before a Scotland game in tv was only time you would see a team like France or whoever we’re playing.

Just playing a bit devils advocate here, don’t think there is an answer but I feel modern Football has made us lose focus on our country’s national side. Or is it purely because we’re just ***** 😁
    It's so sad you feel like this. I hope you get a manager who ignites the spark you & many others on here are missing about your national side.

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Perhaps if we had a fair system of choosing the Scotland squads more people would be interested ? I lost interest in the National side many many years ago, how can a player who is turning in good performances week in week out not get picked but if he gets a transfer to the old firm or down South immediately becomes International class while gathering splinters in his arse sitting on the bench ?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

The only names that aren’t utterly depressing are McInnes and Michael O’Neill IMHO.

Lambert, Moyes, McLeish and co are only interested / being mentioned because they are Scottish and can’t get a job elsewhere. All guys whose careers are on a downwards trajectory.

Klinsmann or Hiddink would be my preference.

We need somebody with no association to Scotland right now imo who has a track record in playing youth mixed with experience.

I'd have kept Strachan for the nation's league campaign and if that went tits up then recruited someone new for the euro qualifiers.

A manager of a club team, rightly or wrongly is unlikely to want the role right now - particularly a young guy like McInnes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Big Sam would an interesting appointment. But it will be someone who has a connection with the Old Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    Wonder if Stubbs would be interested? With Rod on SFA board, Stubbs’ name may well be discussed.

Good with the media, excellent man manager - I think he’d be a good appointment.

His last result at Hampden was pretty decent! 😂

Same here, but after turning down the chance to manage in the PL not sure he’d take it. Plus he’s still young and may want to still be involved in everyday stuff that goes with a club manager like training each day and just being involved in club football.

Huge difference from that to managing at international level.
    When did he turn down the chance to manage in the PL?

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    When did he turn down the chance to manage in the PL?
    Sorry they were in the prem they were relegated I think when Mcinnes was offered the job. I’d have to check. Either way Sunderland is a huge club can’t see him taking Scotland on either.

Sorry they were in the prem they were relegated I think when Mcinnes was offered the job. I’d have to check. Either way Sunderland is a huge club can’t see him taking Scotland on either.
    Could have the chance to manage in league 1 next season by the looks of it..

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Could have the chance to manage in league 1 next season by the looks of it..
    Haha I know, crazy the state they have found themselves in now.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Tommy Wright. Knows that the value of a team is greater than the sum of its parts, and a Scotland manager needs that. For that reason, I believe he would pick more Scottish based players in form, than struggling English based players.

Not sure if im being biased here, with affinity to Newcastle, but they way they were flirting with relegation for years in the prem, it doesn't surprise me to be honest. Another big club that has shambolic ownership.

Shirley!!!

Noooooooooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by Big90inOz View Post
    Perhaps if we had a fair system of choosing the Scotland squads more people would be interested ? I lost interest in the National side many many years ago, how can a player who is turning in good performances week in week out not get picked but if he gets a transfer to the old firm or down South immediately becomes International class while gathering splinters in his arse sitting on the bench ?
    I

I agree totally. My first year of watching football was 92/93 and I couldn't understand how Billy Dodds of Dundee/St Johnston was banging in the goals but didn't get a consideration for the national team, then goes to Rangers (with a better squad behind him) and suddenly gets an invite. How does that even work?

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Tommy Wright. Knows that the value of a team is greater than the sum of its parts, and a Scotland manager needs that. For that reason, I believe he would pick more Scottish based players in form, than struggling English based players.
    That's a pretty good shout, for the reasons you mention.

Id like to see an experienced foreign manager in the role with Scott Gemill as his assistant. With scott to take on the role in the next 3/4 years.

My heart bleeds for them......

Lee Clark had it right all those years ago; sad Macken *******s!
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My heart bleeds for them......

Lee Clark had it right all those years ago; sad Macken *******s!
    Don’t sit on the fence PB just tell us how you really feel 😁

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Surely we're about to witness the glorious dawn of the Stuart Baxter era?

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Step forward - jurgen klinsmann