hibs.net Messageboard

Banksy art in Edinburgh

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ment-1-4367066

Anyone seen this yet or know what the story behind it is?

I wonder how easy it would be to lift it and take it away? If it doesn't belong to anyone, surely it's fair game!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...ment-1-4367066

Anyone seen this yet or know what the story behind it is?

I wonder how easy it would be to lift it and take it away? If it doesn't belong to anyone, surely it's fair game!
    I think Sputnik is finally back from orbit.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    It looks *****.

I don't get "art"...if I made that sculpture and stuck it up in town, with a wee sign "by Andy Easton", nobody would like it, and it'd be taken away and burned prob. But, if it turns out it is a Banksy bit of art, then everyone will want a photo with it.

Same thing, ***** if made by one guy, masterpiece if made by another.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    It looks *****.

I don't get "art"...if I made that sculpture and stuck it up in town, with a wee sign "by Andy Easton", nobody would like it, and it'd be taken away and burned prob. But, if it turns out it is a Banksy bit of art, then everyone will want a photo with it.

I remember a few years ago arguing with a guy about art. A picture of a whole load of coloured dots by Damien Hirst sold for a ridiculous sum of money. I said to him I didn't get it as it was something I could have painted, his answer was simple but it did stump me: 'but you didn't'.

Personally I agree that the 'sculpture' looks crap. In the same way I think taking a few pictures of an unmade bed with used condoms and empty bottles scartered about makes someone a clarty cow as opposed to having artistic merit. I think his point though was that coming up with an idea that provokes a reaction, positive or negative, that no one has thought of before is harder than it seems. It's easy to say 'I could do that' after someone else has done it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I remember a few years ago arguing with a guy about art. A picture of a whole load of coloured dots by Damien Hirst sold for a ridiculous sum of money. I said to him I didn't get it as it was something I could have painted, his answer was simple but it did stump me: 'but you didn't'.

Personally I agree that the 'sculpture' looks crap. In the same way I think taking a few pictures of an unmade bed with used condoms and empty bottles scartered about makes someone a clarty cow as opposed to having artistic merit. I think his point though was that coming up with an idea that provokes a reaction, positive or negative, that no one has thought of before is harder than it seems. It's easy to say 'I could do that' after someone else has done it.
    I kind of get what you're saying, but just because something is original, doesn't make it good. Does it make it art? Loads of coloured dots aren't good art, in my opinion, just because nobody else did it first.

I could get 20 mobile phones, all playing Pokemon Go on them, tie them by string to the blades of a ceiling fan, and have it spinning quickly,. I'll call it Now How Do You Catch Them All?

It's original, probably, maybe it's already been done?

It's ***** though. The fact that someone could look at it and tell me it's *****, is provoking a reaction, but it's certainly not art. Again though, I do that, it's nothing, Damien Hirst/insert name of an arty person does it...ooooh its provoking a reaction.

It's all a nonsense.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I kind of get what you're saying, but just because something is original, doesn't make it good. Does it make it art? Loads of coloured dots aren't good art, in my opinion, just because nobody else did it first.

I could get 20 mobile phones, all playing Pokemon Go on them, tie them by string to the blades of a ceiling fan, and have it spinning quickly,. I'll call it Now How Do You Catch Them All?

It's ***** though. The fact that someone could look at it and tell me it's *****, is provoking a reaction, but it's certainly not art. Again though, I do that, it's nothing, Damien Hirst/insert name of an arty person does it...ooooh its provoking a reaction.

It's all a nonsense.
    Can I steal that idea for this years Turner Prize? think it has a chance
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Can I steal that idea for this years Turner Prize? think it has a chance
    I think it would have a decent chance.

The key is not to think it's a pile of nonsense and brave it out with utter bull***t, with no sense of self-awareness whatsoever.

I feel Easty's frustration with modern life, the obsession of the youth of today with handheld devices and computer games which is blinding them to the real problems that are going on, i.e. global warming (and our fan is only going to consume more energy, thus worsening the crisis). We are all working so hard (the fast spinning motion of the fan) we are blind to the looming crisis.

Will it be too late, or will be able to catch the problems before they escalate?

What will it take to engage the youth of today and get them interested?

(For the avoidance of doubt, I most certainly do not work in "The arts". But if I did, I'd be singing this clearly talented chap up pronto).

Coaching Staff
    It looks *****.

That's mainly because someone like Banksy has a body of work behind him that some people like and have been able to place a value upon.

Until you do anything of note on a pretty regular basis nobody is likely to care either way about your art!

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    That's mainly because someone like Banksy has a body of work behind him that some people like and have been able to place a value upon.

Until you do anything of note on a pretty regular basis nobody is likely to care either way about your art!
    Is it not the case that it's not about people caring about the art because the artist isn't well known, but that folk like Banksy's art is judged on his reputation rather than the merits of what has been created?

It's all a nonsense.

Anything I look at and think, "legitimately, I could have done that" isn't genuine art in the "artistic" sense of the word IMO.

Monet, van Gogh, Constable etc - that's art.

All this "provoke a reaction" chat is the preserve of chin-stroking, chino wearing, Gauloise smoking twatty art students who'll grow up to complain bitterly that they're always penniless and misunderstood but faint at the suggestion that maybe they could just get a normal job.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I love Banksy's stuff - there's nothing abstract about it, it's accessible to all and can be funny, cheeky, thought provoking - often all 3.

The thing in Edinburgh - even though it's not a patch on Banksy, what's the harm? If you don't like it or even don't care about it there's no harm done, neither to property nor the public purse.

If it gets people talking, all the better.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 16-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Anything I look at and think, "legitimately, I could have done that" isn't genuine art in the "artistic" sense of the word IMO.

Monet, van Gogh, Constable etc - that's art.

All this "provoke a reaction" chat is the preserve of chin-stroking, chino wearing, Gauloise smoking twatty art students who'll grow up to complain bitterly that they're always penniless and misunderstood but faint at the suggestion that maybe they could just get a normal job.
    Except, Van Gogh was unsuccessful during his lifetime. It was only after his suicide that his work started to sell. Sods Law!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

You've hit the nail on the head as far as putting a value, both financially and artistically, on works of art. It's not the actual piece of work that really has the value. It's the value associated with the artist's status and previous success which influences the price somebody will pay. As an example ( although you may not like his work ), Henri Maitisse had a highly successful career but in old age he was going blind and couldn't continue to paint. He produced flat, simple images by cutting out shapes and sticking them on a white background. This basic 'style' did not diminish the value of his work or the desire of art collectors to acquire it.

I really like it as said something to talk about, apparantly it's getting moved hopefully somewhere it can be seen again.

Blog Entries
    On a topical note, Diageo are offering The Monarch Of The Glen by Sir Edward Landseer, for sale at a cool £8m. They have offered the National Gallery of Scotland a 50% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    Is it not the case that it's not about people caring about the art because the artist isn't well known, but that folk like Banksy's art is judged on his reputation rather than the merits of what has been created?
    The Emperor's new clothes?

Blog Entries
    Ironically, this art piece, good or bad, because of the publicity, infamy, secrecy etc., will have accrued a fair value over the short period it was in the public eye. The artist may have done this for a gesture of love to his wife but, method to his madness, he has carved a wee niche for himself in the art world.