hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Where's best for the national stadium?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hampden

29 20.71%
  • Murrayfield

111 79.29%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it better to have the National Stadium on your doorstep?

I quite like the day out aspect of it being somewhere else.

Not sure I'd want to have a drink up town before heading out to Murrayfield for a cup final.
    Of course it's better. Why on earth anyone from Edinburgh want to travel to Glasgow instead of staying in the capital really is beyond me.

Transport costs, travel time. 2 reasons which make it a no brainer.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Of course it's better. Why on earth anyone from Edinburgh want to travel to Glasgow instead of staying in the capital really is beyond me.

Even with a fairly exceptional run of cup runs in recent time, we don't even average 1 trip per year. Time and costs are therefore hardly burdensome (an extra hour and £15 maybe?). I'd agree with the person you quoted that going elsewhere for it gives it more of a cup final feeling and that having it on your door step isnt necessarily a great thing.

I'm happy enough with them keeping it at Hampden - but I hope they tour the games a bit more often (although seems less likely now if there has been a financial outlay for Hampden today).
    Mon the Hibs.

Do you go to Portobello on your holidays?

Saves transport costs and travel time going further afield.

I like a trip to Glasgow for a big game.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    They've just shown an aerial shot of hampdump on the news... take away the football field in the middle and it looked like a rundown railway shed. Utter disgrace as a national stadium

I like the day out mate, something different from the norm. Our supporters club runs two buses, get through sharp and into a wee bowling club for food and drink.

Had it been murrayfield we’d have all stayed in our local with our buses just heading up for kick off as all the boozers nearby would be rammed.

We’ve been lucky recently with the number of trips to Hampden and long may it continue. Each to their own I guess

@hibs.net private member

it is only an hour away...Glasgow is good for a day out - Hampden has football heritage....

I'm happy with the decision.

I believe a major reason many chose Murrayfield over Hampden is not so much Edinburgh over Glasgow,but the stadium itself (Hampden)
    The SFA in my lifetime has made a lot of money from Hampden
    From that famous Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt European cup final ....

.....to all those W/Cup qualifying games packed to the rafters during the 60s/70s/80s

Little improvements even then and yet the coffers were bulging with gate receipts.

Not too mention the cash from qualifying for 5 W/Cup finals in a row from 1974 and big sponsorships.

Hampden has been neglected,whilst nations of similar size and less, have built wonderful modern stadiums in recent times.

Wherever it is built .....We need a new National Football Stadium.
    Hampden is a relic
    Wonderful and great history ..yes
    A relic nonetheless
    Demolish and rebuild.
    Hearts can find money to build a new stand after their near demise.

Surely the SFA can build a new Hampden
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 11-09-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Is there any good reason why we are so skint?

Other than the last few days our International matches are well attended. Our semi-finals and finals are generally well-attended. The prices are punchy enough to be viable you would think (ie we don't need to charge £2 per match to get a crowd in).

Sponsorship must count for something, televised matches must count for something. There are decent hospitality facilities in the South Stand at Hampden which will be well utilised at most big games. I've attended courses in those facilities at Hampden which should bring in some more money.

How much more money do you get for qualifying for tournaments?

Surely the SFA could sell off some of the land that Hampden sits on for housing, keeping what they need for the stadium and fund a bit of redevelopment that way?

Per head of population Scotland has some of the best figures for football supporting in the world and imo we shouldn't be skint, so how are we?

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I like the day out mate, something different from the norm. Our supporters club runs two buses, get through sharp and into a wee bowling club for food and drink.

Had it been murrayfield we’d have all stayed in our local with our buses just heading up for kick off as all the boozers nearby would be rammed.

We’ve been lucky recently with the number of trips to Hampden and long may it continue. Each to their own I guess
    Exactly the only time I ever drink in a bowls club is when the bus stops there on the way to a cup final !!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Is there any good reason why we are so skint?

Other than the last few days our International matches are well attended. Our semi-finals and finals are generally well-attended. The prices are punchy enough to be viable you would think (ie we don't need to charge £2 per match to get a crowd in).

Sponsorship must count for something, televised matches must count for something. There are decent hospitality facilities in the South Stand at Hampden which will be well utilised at most big games. I've attended courses in those facilities at Hampden which should bring in some more money.

How much more money do you get for qualifying for tournaments?

Surely the SFA could sell off some of the land that Hampden sits on for housing, keeping what they need for the stadium and fund a bit of redevelopment that way?

Per head of population Scotland has some of the best figures for football supporting in the world and imo we shouldn't be skint, so how are we?
    N.Ireland got £7m for qualifying for Euro 2016. The big money is in getting to the tournaments

Promising Youngster
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    45%/39% in favour of Hampden

16% for Other - Would love to know what "Other" means in the minds of those voters
    For me. A brand new national stadium somewhere near Bannockburn/Stirling with better road and rail links. Pay for a chunk of it by selling both Hampden and Murrayfield. Been saying it for years

Quote Originally Posted by roc1 View Post
    For me. A brand new national stadium somewhere near Bannockburn/Stirling with better road and rail links. Pay for a chunk of it by selling both Hampden and Murrayfield. Been saying it for years
    Fantasy stuff that would be a massive white elephant. Even Hampden is a better option than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Fantasy stuff that would be a massive white elephant. Even Hampden is a better option than that.

Easy transport links to the north/east/west which means it would truly be a national stadium.

We have no need for two big grounds in Scotland that are only used a few times a year also no need for 3 big grounds in one city (And Hampden is the worst of the 3 in Glasgow)

Agreed. In a wee country like Scotland, if there has to be a the national stadium then it should be in either the biggest city or the capital, both central belt with plenty transport links.

Build a new stadium in a field somewhere, and those fans who'll go to a game because they enjoy the social side of it will just watch it on the telly, particularly when the team's crap. And then we're really in bother.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Hearts can find money to build a new stand after their near demise.

Surely the SFA can build a new Hampden
    Hearts can find money to start building a new stand.

Quote Originally Posted by roc1 View Post
    Fantasy stuff, the SRU own Murrayfield and have spent millions developing it over the years - they are about to build an 8000 seat stadium outside the main one for Edinburgh Rugby to play in - with the crowds going the way they are, it should be perfect for the national football team in about 10 years time !

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Fantasy stuff, the SRU own Murrayfield and have spent millions developing it over the years - they are about to build an 8000 seat stadium outside the main one for Edinburgh Rugby to play in - with the crowds going the way they are, it should be perfect for the national football team in about 10 years time !
    You still at it on here.

Promising Youngster

Fantasy perhaps (the SFA have ensured that now)
    Missed opportunity in my own opinion but everyone is entitled to one. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    I believe a major reason many chose Murrayfield over Hampden is not so much Edinburgh over Glasgow,but the stadium itself (Hampden)
    The SFA in my lifetime has made a lot of money from Hampden
    From that famous Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt European cup final ....

.....to all those W/Cup qualifying games packed to the rafters during the 60s/70s/80s

Little improvements even then and yet the coffers were bulging with gate receipts.
    Why would the SFA make any money from Hampden as it was owned by Queens Park?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Why would the SFA make any money from Hampden as it was owned by Queens Park?
    Queens Park trousered all the gate money of all those 100,000 + attendance games? Jeez, they have punched well below their weight.

First Team Breakthrough
    It’s all about results if Scotland are giving hope we’ll get the crowds

Why would a shared national stadium in a central location be a white elephant?

A purpose built stadium which presumably would have multiple facilities for Scottish sports.

Keen to hear your rationale.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Why would a shared national stadium in a central location be a white elephant?

A purpose built stadium which presumably would have multiple facilities for Scottish sports.

Keen to hear your rationale.

I’ll give you mine - no stadium belongs out of town, surrounded by nothing.

The best decision Hibs ever made was to stay put and not move to Stratton.

The RFU are never going to abandon their prime location in the middle of their most valuable fan base and without selling Murrayfield there’s no money for a new build anyhow.

Its time to move on now and concentrate on what we ( the SFA that is ) are going to do next.

I watched the interview with the SFA's representative this afternoon with nothing short of dismay. The answers to questions from the journalists present regarding their plans for the stadium were so tepid and guarded … where the hell was the enthusiasm? …. where the hell was the determination? …. where the hell was the positivity? The guy sounded like someone who had just bought a car only to find out it had no engine, I've seen more determination to make lemonade when life hands you lemons from folk from Birmingham winning a motorboat on sale of the century.

FFS !!! ……… Show positivity or at least outward enthusiasm for a big new challenge by saying ''''we are determined to bring the stadium into the 21st century within 10 years, hopefully a lot less'''' …. instead we get some mumbled acknowledgment that stuff needs done on the outside of the ground, agreement about the ends needing squared off ( dah! ) and some mumbled half hearted chat about possibly maybe looking at what Stuttgart have done with their stadium, garnished with a sauce of stating the blindingly obvious that funding needs to be found, but delivered in a way that gave the impression that they have barely thought about having to cross that bridge and have absolutely no idea of how to go about it or confidence that they can.

I cant begin to express my disdain for the SFA's plan to install new turnstiles and LED floodlights ….. Its like being told your car needs two grands worth of work on the engine to get through its MOT and going out and buying new alloys and getting it a respray.

Here's a few tips lads:

The Scottish government …. Spent an absolute fortune on other sports facilities for minority sports ( professional sports lets not forget ) so why not the country's most popular sport by far.

The UK government …. Have contributed massively to sports facilities all over England ( especially London ) in the last 10 years, that tax money also included Scottish contributions … so they cant be exempt from Scottish projects just because of Holyrood.

The national lottery …. Contributed 2.2 billion pounds to the London Olympics … on the basis that Scotland could never host such an event surely a crumb from that table to help fund a Hampden redevelopment isn't an unreasonable request.

Glasgow city council …. Immensely proud ( allegedly ) that Hampden is in their sphere of influence … lets see some concrete evidence of that.

Stadium sponsorship …… Arsenal prised 100 million quid out of the Emirates just for the naming rights for their new stadium.

Sale of land around the stadium …. Someone else mentioned this … it appears to be a huge site, far bigger than the actual stadium footprint, and if the ends were straightened out that would surely create even more surplus land at either end of the stadium, just look at the amount of surplus land Hibs ended up with when the old east terrace was demolished.

Crowdfunding ….. Why not? … I would be happy to chuck in a fiver.

A friendly against England …. It would surely fill the place and at £20 a time for tickets that would bring in around half a million quid after expenses.

Rod Stewart …. Never done bleating on about his support for the national team, well he's apparently worth over a hundred million quid .. lets see him put some money where his mouth is.

Scour the earth for any other exiled filthy rich folk out there with a tear in their eye for 'bonny Scotland'? …. Celtic did it with Fergus McCann, have you seen Celtic park?

They need to get the finger out … they need to start sounding FAR more positive about what they need to do and they need to be massively aggressive in the pursuit of their goals instead of the mumbly fluffy tepid underwhelming approach I witnessed this afternoon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Its time to move on now and concentrate on what we ( the SFA that is ) are going to do next.

I watched the interview with the SFA's representative this afternoon with nothing short of dismay. The answers to questions from the journalists present regarding their plans for the stadium were so tepid and guarded … where the hell was the enthusiasm? …. where the hell was the determination? …. where the hell was the positivity? The guy sounded like someone who had just bought a car only to find out it had no engine, I've seen more determination to make lemonade when life hands you lemons from folk from Birmingham winning a motorboat on sale of the century.

FFS !!! ……… Show positivity or at least outward enthusiasm for a big new challenge by saying ''''we are determined to bring the stadium into the 21st century within 10 years, hopefully a lot less'''' …. instead we get some mumbled acknowledgment that stuff needs done on the outside of the ground, agreement about the ends needing squared off ( dah! ) and some mumbled half hearted chat about possibly maybe looking at what Stuttgart have done with their stadium, garnished with a sauce of stating the blindingly obvious that funding needs to be found, but delivered in a way that gave the impression that they have barely thought about having to cross that bridge and have absolutely no idea of how to go about it or confidence that they can.

I cant begin to express my disdain for the SFA's plan to install new turnstiles and LED floodlights ….. Its like being told your car needs two grands worth of work on the engine to get through its MOT and going out and buying new alloys and getting it a respray.

Here's a few tips lads:

The Scottish government …. Spent an absolute fortune on other sports facilities for minority sports ( professional sports lets not forget ) so why not the country's most popular sport by far.

The UK government …. Have contributed massively to sports facilities all over England ( especially London ) in the last 10 years, that tax money also included Scottish contributions … so they cant be exempt from Scottish projects just because of Holyrood.

The national lottery …. Contributed 2.2 billion pounds to the London Olympics … on the basis that Scotland could never host such an event surely a crumb from that table to help fund a Hampden redevelopment isn't an unreasonable request.

Glasgow city council …. Immensely proud ( allegedly ) that Hampden is in their sphere of influence … lets see some concrete evidence of that.

Stadium sponsorship …… Arsenal prised 100 million quid out of the Emirates just for the naming rights for their new stadium.

Sale of land around the stadium …. Someone else mentioned this … it appears to be a huge site, far bigger than the actual stadium footprint, and if the ends were straightened out that would surely create even more surplus land at either end of the stadium, just look at the amount of surplus land Hibs ended up with when the old east terrace was demolished.

A friendly against England …. It would surely fill the place and at £20 a time for tickets that would bring in around half a million quid after expenses.

Rod Stewart …. Never done bleating on about his support for the national team, well he's apparently worth over a hundred million quid .. lets see him put some money where his mouth is.

Scour the earth for any other exiled filthy rich folk out there with a tear in their eye for 'bonny Scotland'? …. Celtic did it with Fergus McCann, have you seen Celtic park?

They need to get the finger out … they need to start sounding FAR more positive about what they need to do and they need to be massively aggressive in the pursuit of their goals instead of the mumbly fluffy tepid underwhelming approach I witnessed this afternoon!!!
    The only problem with all that is the the SFA is run by guys you wouldn’t vote on to the committee of your local bowling club.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    The only problem with all that is the the SFA is run by guys you wouldn’t vote on to the committee of your local bowling club.

True.

For all their "its an open and honest process" the SFA have a similar attitude to all these Glaswegian Celtic fans on Twitter - that they have "won" against their traditional rival Edinburgh and saved Scottish Football from falling into the hands of rugby.

So, so short sighted.

In reality, after it became apparent that Murrayfield was a better option, the SFA scranned around wealthy glaswegians and Tom Hunter and Willie Haughey came up with the readies to buy Hampden.

While I was never a fan of Murrayfield and would have preferred the option that both Scott Brown and Steven Naismith have mentioned - taking it round the grounds - that seemed a non starter.

As it is, the SFA have "won" their Pyrrhic victory against rugby, but as Tom English says on the BBC website there is no meat on the bones, no plan, no money.

What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    True.

For all their "its an open and honest process" the SFA have a similar attitude to all these Glaswegian Celtic fans on Twitter - that they have "won" against their traditional rival Edinburgh and saved Scottish Football from falling into the hands of rugby.

So, so short sighted.

In reality, after it became apparent that Murrayfield was a better option, the SFA scranned around wealthy glaswegians and Tom Hunter and Willie Haughey came up with the readies to buy Hampden.

While I was never a fan of Murrayfield and would have preferred the option that both Scott Brown and Steven Naismith have mentioned - taking it round the grounds - that seemed a non starter.

As it is, the SFA have "won" their Pyrrhic victory against rugby, but as Tom English says on the BBC website there is no meat on the bones, no plan, no money.

What a mess.
    It's no really. The views directly behind the goals at Hampden are pretty ***** granted, but its hardly on par with Cowdenbeath's Central Park ffs.

Hampden offers no worse facilities or experience for the average punter than most other large stadiums that i've been to. Improve transport access to start with then see if funds can be found for redoing the East and Wests and it will be an ideal national stadium.

It's the history bit I don't get. History is full of places we don't go to now, or things we don't do anymore. Staying in a place because of 'history' lacks ambition.

"We've always done it this way so let's continue to do it this way".

Uninpsiring crap.

I'd be interested in the relationship the Irish FA and Rugby Association have. I suspect it works quite well.
    This in a nutshell,

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

Here's a few tips lads:

Love it !

Close the thread - the SFA couldn’t run a bath.

The game needs a refresh urgently and that’s league structures also.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    It's no really. The views directly behind the goals at Hampden are pretty ***** granted, but its hardly on par with Cowdenbeath's Central Park ffs.

Hampden offers no worse facilities or experience for the average punter than most other large stadiums that i've been to. Improve transport access to start with then see if funds can be found for redoing the East and Wests and it will be an ideal national stadium.

this, all of it

i've no idea why some take delight in calling our national stadium 'Hamdump" it's not a dump and neither is the housing around it, although the stand roofs could do with a wee lick o paint for the aerial shots

p.s. and square those ends of
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 12-09-2018 at 09:31 AM.