hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opposition view

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saint J sold their ground & moved out of town to a stadium with little atmosphere & tiny crowds. When we proposed a similar move there was, understandably, strong opposition. I wouldn't swap our current situation for that of the Saints.

But they moved from a stadium with a crap atmosphere and tiny crowds.

The new stadium is so much better and their crowds were a lot higher for a few years.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Canon Hannan View Post
    I wish Hibs were run like St johnstone. They have a great chairman who has a settled ship. Their stadium is good and their youth set up is just fine. We could learn a lot from their set up. Perth has 40,000 inhabitants with 3000 fans. Edinburgh and the surrounding area is 15 times bigger and we get 15,000. Saints are a great club who pick off Hibs and Hearts youth. Plus they have the best coach in Scotland at youth level...ex Hibs after we treated him badly! But, LD is improving our club at last.
    There stadium is anything but good, give me Easter Road over any other stadium in Scotland for our fan base. Not sure what the population of Perth and Edinburgh has to do with anything but again give me 15k over 3k any week. I'll also worry about our youth set up when we are back up, and not a second before it. All of our time and resource should go into getting us back there, and then building the foundations of the club back up again, such as youth development. For the minute I'll be content with a working scouting network and a winning team. Although even with very minimal expense going into our youth set up, we seem to be churning out not too bad results in the development league.

I'd also rather have LD than any other running our club also.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    What the hell does that matter. Loads of huge clubs have training centres miles out of town and the players never see the stadium until matchday. If I recall correctly before East Mains was built the players had to train on a different public park every day, with the associated risk of dug ***** and broken glass, and had no access to indoor facilities.

Millions of folk have a hell of a lot more than a 25 minute drive to work in the morning and I bet most of them don't start work at 10am or 11am and head home again about 2pm or 3pm.
    Agreed. You would think East Mains is on the moon. It's a fantastic facility that if built in town would have cost a lot more than we paid for East Mains. Carrington training ground is about 12 miles from Old Trafford. Don't think I have ever heard them moaning.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Regularly finished in the top 3 and made cup finals/semi finals/Europe only a couple years ago, yet their stadium was practically empty every week due to the locals preferring Parkhead or Ibrox. Absolutely - success is wasted on them.
    I think the opposite. A team who succeeded in doing what we (a supposedly big team) failed do and take advantage of Rangers being out the league and finishing second a couple of times with poor crowds and competition from those two to attract support.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Are you a tall chap by any chance?

Legroom in the stands are terrible.
    No I'm in a wheelchair.

Disabled access into Tannadice is disgraceful.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Regularly finished in the top 3 and made cup finals/semi finals/Europe only a couple years ago, yet their stadium was practically empty every week due to the locals preferring Parkhead or Ibrox. Absolutely - success is wasted on them.
    For me you've got to give them credit for their support.
    They could easily head further west but chose not to

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canon Hannan View Post
    I wish Hibs were run like St johnstone. They have a great chairman who has a settled ship. Their stadium is good and their youth set up is just fine. We could learn a lot from their set up. Perth has 40,000 inhabitants with 3000 fans. Edinburgh and the surrounding area is 15 times bigger and we get 15,000. Saints are a great club who pick off Hibs and Hearts youth. Plus they have the best coach in Scotland at youth level...ex Hibs after we treated him badly! But, LD is improving our club at last.
    Not too convinced about their super youth set up.........I think they plough most of their money into the first team. Off the top of my head can't think of the last decent youth player to progress from St J ?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    My first game was against Motherwell. A home win. It would also be nice to think that as a legacy of LD's time there they would be in a good place. There are a few teams I'd see go before Motherwell.
    I've nothing against Motherwell FC. The town is utterly dominated by OF sofa fans, so anyone who refuses that option and goes out to support the local team deserves some credit.

Leeann seemed to do good work there. But she must have looked at the crowds on Friday night and thought 'oh, this is what a club engaged with its community looks like'.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Not too convinced about their super youth set up.........I think they plough most of their money into the first team. Off the top of my head can't think of the last decent youth player to progress from St J ?
    Stevie May?

2 of their current first team squad came through their youth system

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    United fan at my work was going daft this morning about our emergency loan of Kris Commons. In short we are cheats for getting a player in on loan and then playing one of the players he was brought in to cover. (SJM) I did point on that SJM was only on for a short time and isn't yet recovered fully from injury while the others are still out but he was having none of it. I was told to take the smirk of my face as well which was easier said than done.

He's a decent bloke but he was obviously wound up waiting on me getting in this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    United fan at my work was going daft this morning about our emergency loan of Kris Commons. In short we are cheats for getting a player in on loan and then playing one of the players he was brought in to cover. (SJM) I did point on that SJM was only on for a short time and isn't yet recovered fully from injury while the others are still out but he was having none of it. I was told to take the smirk of my face as well which was easier said than done.

He's a decent bloke but he was obviously wound up waiting on me getting in this morning.
    Just ask him to read the emergency loan ruling out to you.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    The DU fan I know said "we were rubbish, you were good". He did query the emergency loan but from the angle of the rules and thought it was "fair game" that we used the system for our benefit..

He's a good guy who I respect, he just was brought up to support a different team to me.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries

Ask him why they approached Commons agent and offer terms to come to them, which they did when they heard he was availabe... Which their manager didn't deny...

Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    Ask him why they approached Commons agent and offer terms to come to them, which they did when they heard he was availabe... Which their manager didn't deny...
    That sounds like tomorrow's opening shot to me, good shout!

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar

Ask him if he has any idea at all that an 'emergency loan' doesn't have to have anything to do with an emergency. In fact, Utd could go out next month and sign anyone they like from the premier league for 90 days. Literally anyone. Tell him to get his thinking cap on

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    My first game was against Motherwell. A home win. It would also be nice to think that as a legacy of LD's time there they would be in a good place. There are a few teams I'd see go before Motherwell.

Me too. Every punter going to Fir Park wearing a Motherwell scarf has made a conscious decision to follow their local team when it would be much easier just to go with the flow and follow the Gruesome Twosome on TV like the majority. And that goes for all the 'wee' clubs in the area - including Hamilton Academicals and Airdrieonians.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

"Decent bloke"? Maybe he is, but he's behaving like a complete twonk.

Sure he's no a Jambo in disguise?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    "Decent bloke"? Maybe he is, but he's behaving like a complete twonk.

Sure he's no a Jambo in disguise?
    Can you ever disguise being a Jambo?

Can you ever disguise being a Jambo?
    Wearing gloves will disguise the extra fingers!! The hard part is them keeping their mouth shut (although that is easiest since May 2016).

😁

McGinn only came on when Commons came off, so we stuck to his imaginary rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk