hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=Pretty Boy;5464645]Circa
    They have been quoted £800.000 to cover the 4g pitch. IE a roof and sides along the lines of the east stand.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Circa £1M.
    S, is the £1m the minimum we need to spend to meet the elite level criteria? I know literally nothing about project brave, and the youth set up grading etc. Just wonder if there is an argument/possibility to build an indoor pitch for less to meet the Project Brave criteria meaning we can invest more on the team to take advantage of where we are at the moment?

[QUOTE=Liam978;5464757]
    Circa
    They have been quoted £800.000 to cover the 4g pitch. IE a roof and sides along the lines of the east stand.
    The plans for the new indoor pitch is for a half size, not full size pitch, it’s for training and small sided games and there will be no seating area.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    S, is the £1m the minimum we need to spend to meet the elite level criteria? I know literally nothing about project brave, and the youth set up grading etc. Just wonder if there is an argument/possibility to build an indoor pitch for less to meet the Project Brave criteria meaning we can invest more on the team to take advantage of where we are at the moment?
    Do you think it's likely that an indoor pitch could be built for less? I think £1m of a budget is pretty tight for something like this. I was involved in the development project at East Mains and if it had been on the table at the time I'm certain the club would've done it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Do you think it's likely that an indoor pitch could be built for less? I think £1m of a budget is pretty tight for something like this. I was involved in the development project at East Mains and if it had been on the table at the time I'm certain the club would've done it then.
    That’s what I was asking, if £1m was the minimum something like this would cost or if we were building an all singing all dancing indoor pitch, or somewhere in between.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    I had no idea it was costing that kind of money. In my opinion we shouldn't be spending anywhere near that amount on anything other than the first team. We've had little to no return from the youth investment in almost the last decade now. Couldn't care less about project brave as its been created by the SFA so in all probability will amount to nothing.

To put that £1m in perspective that is £6,400 per week towards wages over the next 3 seasons!! That would pay for 2 or 3 new first team signings on 3 year contracts.

I had thought the days of us selling our best players and spending the money on infrastructure to the detriment of the first team were over. Apparently not.

Fortunately the people running our club do have a sense of perspective. They have to balance spending across many different priorities.

That’s just how it is.

That’s what I was asking, if £1m was the minimum something like this would cost or if we were building an all singing all dancing indoor pitch, or somewhere in between.
    Dunno about Project Brave but the budget seems tight for the structure and services that would be involved in building an indoor facility the size of a football pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Hearts don’t even use the indoor pitch at Oriam. It’s too expensive at about £180 an hour. I don’t think this is a project Brave requirement, it’s just something the management want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought they didn’t use the indoor pitch because the roof wasn’t high enough for their needs. Costs them a fortune in buying replacement balls anytime Berra plays out from the back.

[QUOTE=delbert;5464763]
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam978 View Post

The plans for the new indoor pitch is for a half size, not full size pitch, it’s for training and small sided games and there will be no seating area.
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ntre-1-4748567

Not according to this.

Circa £1M.
    Cheers PB

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I thought they didn’t use the indoor pitch because the roof wasn’t high enough for their needs. Costs them a fortune in buying replacement balls anytime Berra plays out from the back.
    I’ve heard that as well.

United we stand here....

First Team Breakthrough
    [QUOTE=Ozyhibby;5464788]
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...ntre-1-4748567

Not according to this.

Delberts post not mine haha, still stick to the info given during tour of east mains last month. Cover to the new 4g, not only to protect the new surface but also obviously the players . Btw tons of old 3g rolls still in a good condition for maybe non league teams use or whatever, rolls tons of it are about 25ft long.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    When was the last time we sold a product of our youth academy for £1m though?
    We shouldn't just be looking at the money we can bring in by selling our youth product, we should be looking at the money saved by being able to field the youth product, as long as the quality is there.
    Imagine if we could put together a competing team made up mostly of home grown players, all we need is to bleed through a couple a year and bolster the squad with one or two signings of quality.
    Investing in a team and not just one player has to be the way forward for clubs our size,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    We shouldn't just be looking at the money we can bring in by selling our youth product, we should be looking at the money saved by being able to field the youth product, as long as the quality is there.
    Imagine if we could put together a competing team made up mostly of home grown players, all we need is to bleed through a couple a year and bolster the squad with one or two signings of quality.
    Investing in a team and not just one player has to be the way forward for clubs our size,,,,
    Post of the day.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    That’s exactly what Lennon said, by having the likes of shaw and Porteous in the 1st team squad. Saved the club a fortune

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Full-size indoor pitch feels like a no-brainer. The better the quality of the training surface, the better the impact on the technique of players. That then translates to when they have to play on rougher surfaces, let alone on good surfaces.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

When was the last time we sold a product of our youth academy for £1m though? Fletcher in 2009 from what I can remember.

The fact the club might have been keeping money back from the first team to save money for an indoor pitch isn't any better IMO. £1m is a huge amount of money for our club. It would be better spent on the first team over the next few years.
    Jason Cummings was pretty close to that.

Also, three of our youth products won the Scottish Cup recently with the club, one of whom who also became the only player, and to put that in context, ever, to win both the league and Scottish Cup.

I'd say that's a decent return.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

Also, three of our youth products won the Scottish Cup recently with the club, one of whom who also became the only player, and to put that in context, ever, to win both the league and Scottish Cup.

Cummings was not a product of our youth system.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Cummings was not a product of our youth system.
    Taking a teenage boy off a building site and turning him into a full time pro footballer makes him a product of out youth system. Aye.

I find these posts a bit odd. Surely the answer is that we want both investment in infrastructure and investment in the playing squad. However they are not simply mutually exclusive.

Better training facilities are just as likely to attract good quality players as much as cash will.

Better facilities will also prevent injuries, improve players and generally put the club in a better position to compete on the park.

Being competitive on the park means higher league position, further in the cups, playing in European matches and therefore producing more revenue to invest in the whole structure of the club and make even more progress on and off the field.

Two of our main rivals in Aberdeen and Hearts are currently undertaking major infrastructure projects that will affect their playing budget. However, they will complete these at some point and we need to make sure that our infrastructure is still as good as theirs or even better.

Long term planning as well as short term (season on season) planning always required.

@hibs.net private member RMQ1967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tug Wilson View Post
    I find these posts a bit odd. Surely the answer is that we want both investment in infrastructure and investment in the playing squad. However they are not simply mutually exclusive.

Better training facilities are just as likely to attract good quality players as much as cash will.

Better facilities will also prevent injuries, improve players and generally put the club in a better position to compete on the park.

Being competitive on the park means higher league position, further in the cups, playing in European matches and therefore producing more revenue to invest in the whole structure of the club and make even more progress on and off the field.

Two of our main rivals in Aberdeen and Hearts are currently undertaking major infrastructure projects that will affect their playing budget. However, they will complete these at some point and we need to make sure that our infrastructure is still as good as theirs or even better.

Long term planning as well as short term (season on season) planning always required.
    Excellent post. There's always a balance & an indoor facility in this climate will provide long benefits for probably 10+ years - not just short term benefits on wages of a player or 2 for a couple of seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Taking a teenage boy off a building site and turning him into a full time pro footballer makes him a product of out youth system. Aye.
    Naw. He was at Hearts , subsequently released before joining Lothian Thistle HV and then eventually joined Hibs. If he was a product of our youth system how many goals did he score at that level for us?
    Last edited by Since90+2; 14-07-2018 at 10:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post

Stevenson and Hanlon came through our youth system before the investment was made into East Mains, if it is the 'return' on that you refer to. I've no doubt that having our own training facility has helped sell the club to potential new players, but there's zero evidence thus far that East Mains has helped produce any more talented kids who've been able to become first team regulars.
    Last edited by hibee-boys; 14-07-2018 at 10:44 PM.

In the period between East Mains being built and Leeann and George arriving, Hibs were run horrendously.
    That will no doubt have had a massive impact on our youth system as well.
    Just because it wasn’t productive during that time doesn’t mean it’s the fault of the facility.
    I think we will see better results over the next few years as the changes made by George Craig start to work their way through the system.

Thought we already had one, albeit not full size. Been some videos on hibs tv etc where they’ve done challenges indoor.

Also if it’s indoor and full size it could be rented out to other teams etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Stevenson and Hanlon came through our youth system before the investment was made into East Mains, if it is the 'return' on that you refer to. I've no doubt that having our own training facility has helped sell the club to potential new players, but there's zero evidence thus far that East Mains has helped produce any more talented kids who've been able to become first team regulars.
    The question asked was who was the last player to come through our youth system to be sold for a million. Lewis and Paul came through our youth system. I'd rather have hanlon and Lewis than have sold a player for 1 million.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Interesting, but elite facilities don't necessarily engender playing time for academy/dev players at least at first.

If you look at England and the top six, Man City are most 'guilty' in the season just finished, it's only really been Foden with a few minutes.

Liverpool have only really played Alexander-Arnold and he's not been a fixture in their team.

For Spurs it's predominantly Kane and with his record he is clearly a first-team pick and has been for a good while.

Man U has been Rashford and Lingard but neither have been regular starters to say the least.

Chelsea have played Christensen a bit but that's following extensive loan spells abroad and even then, he's not a first-team regular.

For Arsenal it's been Wiltshere (who has been released) and Maitland-Niles, who looks like a big prospect but is still at the early stages of development.

If you go into the history of any of those clubs, with their ability to spend big on player development, it's rare to see them consistently churning out players who can do it at the level required.

We were extraordinarily lucky with Hanlon and Stevenson. There was a bunch of other players who have been through East Mains since it was set up who had promise. Some had many arguing on here for their retention, some have fashioned careers at some level in professional football.

I think the important point is that good facilities help young footballers but good facilities also help the first team and allow us to play a better style of football - the kind of football our more recent managerial appointments want us to play and the kind of football the managers at the time of EM wanted us to play.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

A full sized indoor pitch is important if we want to continue challenging in the top 4. Aberdeen will have one soon along with their new staduim and Celtic and Rangers already have one. We obviously can't compete financially with Celtic and that particular club but but for us and Aberdeen it would be a major selling point to potential signings and push us away from the other clubs in the division.

Apologies- a bit late to this one. Do we currently have a 4G full size pitch laid? So the £1M would be to enclose this?

Picked up from the John McGinn thread that some, or all!, of any transfer fee may be used to build an indoor pitch at East Mains. Pretty sure I've read that this does form part of Leanne's plans as well.

Just wondered what the views are on this?

We've done incredibly well to get people back to Easter Road last few years, record season tickets sales. Surely it's time to invest more towards the playing budget. I appreciated the importance of having our own training ground and the investment into East Mains was a good long term move but have we produced any more new talent in comparison to pre East Mains?
    It’s a requirement of Project Brave to have an indoor 3G pitch.