hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar

Edinburgh, Then & Now

Nice we bit in the online Evening News, click on the pics to see ten and now views.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...-now-1-4376209
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Wow that was a trip down memory lane, thanks for posting that.

Edinburgh's planning department has a lot to answer for, a lot of beautiful buildings lost forever.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow that was a trip down memory lane, thanks for posting that.

Edinburgh's planning department has a lot to answer for, a lot of beautiful buildings lost forever.
    Thought that myself after viewing it.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    There's a movie called Battle of the Sexes starring Peter Sellers set in Edinburgh, filmed in the late 50's. The film is OK but the footage of Edinburgh back then is outstanding, it's only 60 years ago but it's a different place from what it is now.

There are also some good movies to be found on the BFI Website. You can search from THIS MAP films from all over the UK.
    I personally enjoy Waverley Steps from 1948 & a cracker that I remember watching at East London Street Primary, Sean Connery's Edinburgh from 1982

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    There's a movie called Battle of the Sexes starring Peter Sellers set in Edinburgh, filmed in the late 50's. The film is OK but the footage of Edinburgh back then is outstanding, it's only 60 years ago but it's a different place from what it is now.

There are also some good movies to be found on the BFI Website. You can search from THIS MAP films from all over the UK.
    I personally enjoy Waverley Steps from 1948 & a cracker that I remember watching at East London Street Primary, Sean Connery's Edinburgh from 1982
    One of my favourite films set in Edinburgh is actually an animation. The Illusionist by Sylvain Chomet, a French guy who made it while he was living here.

He set it in the late 50s, early 60s,and his research of that time is spot on IMO. Nails it.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 24-07-2017 at 08:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    One of my favourite films set in Edinburgh us actually an animation. The Illusionist by Sylvain Chomet, a French guy who made it while he was living here.
    I haven't seen this but remember it being in the local press at the time a few years back.
    Might have a look around and see if it is on any of the available streaming services,,,,

I've always love Restless Natives.

Scary that I remember it coming out and getting it from the video shop, yet so much of it now looks so dated.

I always think the scenes filmed in the city centre make it look very clean and well maintained compared to now.

Just proves what I've long thought without ever seeing what was the before due to my age.

A) whomever approved the St James' Centre needs sectioned and given a thorough eye test

B) Some of the façades on Princes Street are completely unbecoming of their prime location.

The 60's and 70's have an awful lot to answer for architecturally in general.

@hibs.net private member
    One of my favourite films set in Edinburgh is actually an animation. The Illusionist by Sylvain Chomet, a French guy who made it while he was living here.

He set it in the late 50s, early 60s,and his research of that time is spot on IMO. Nails it.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    That's a beautiful film, and I'd forgotten we had it. Maybe watch it later.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Just proves what I've long thought without ever seeing what was the before due to my age.

A) whomever approved the St James' Centre needs sectioned and given a thorough eye test

B) Some of the façades on Princes Street are completely unbecoming of their prime location.

The 60's and 70's have an awful lot to answer for architecturally in general.
    My mother used to run a club for buying things out of Starks & Bairds on the Bridges and also Parkers.
    The photo of Parkers brought back memories of then. I loved that building.
    (You should also section the person who had it knocked down).

Parkers.jpg
    Last edited by snooky; 25-07-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Some memories there.

Princes' Street Station which we always knew as the old Caley (Caledonian) Station was where my dad took me to see my first steam trains more than 60 years ago. The Caley Hotel's now the Waldorf Astoria? And the North British is the New Balmoral? I suppose we should be glad the buildings are still there and not replaced by a couple of 1970's Stalinist East German Chic concrete blockhouses.

I remember when the St James Centre was built. Couldn't believe it - one of the ugliest buildings in the UK. So many decent tenement buildings torn down that could and should have been restored and refurbished.

Never mind - we'll soon not be able to see the buildings for the rubbish piling up in the streets.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m View Post
    That's a beautiful film, and I'd forgotten we had it. Maybe watch it later.
    Not sure if you've seen any of his other stuff, but Belleville Rendez-vous is what first got me interested in him. Very funny film about the Tour de France, in that way the French have of saying so much without much dialogue.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Some memories there.

Princes' Street Station which we always knew as the old Caley (Caledonian) Station was where my dad took me to see my first steam trains more than 60 years ago. The Caley Hotel's now the Waldorf Astoria? And the North British is the New Balmoral? I suppose we should be glad the buildings are still there and not replaced by a couple of 1970's Stalinist East German Chic concrete blockhouses.

I remember when the St James Centre was built. Couldn't believe it - one of the ugliest buildings in the UK. So many decent tenement buildings torn down that could and should have been restored and refurbished.

Never mind - we'll soon not be able to see the buildings for the rubbish piling up in the streets.
    And then they'll build another one equally grotesque and inappropriate.
    Come back James Craig.

@hibs.net private member
    Not sure if you've seen any of his other stuff, but Belleville Rendez-vous is what first got me interested in him. Very funny film about the Tour de France, in that way the French have of saying so much without much dialogue.
    That one's excellent too - I've got them both.
    Love Island has been on in this house for the past week, and a double bill of those two films might be just the thing to reclaim the telly for (and to restore my faith in humanity...)