hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steven Whittaker will be 33 in 6 weeks time.
    He would be worth the risk for a 1 year contract but would want at least a 2 year deal on good money.
    We might quickly find out he is past it but have to keep paying him for 2 seasons.
    We need to stop living in the past.
    Indeed. Can't imagine really big clubs like Manchester United signing 35 year olds huh?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Indeed. Can't imagine really big clubs like Manchester United signing 35 year olds huh?
    No, really really big clubs like Hibs sign 36 year olds like Grant Holt.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Just to think - if Gray hadn't signed, we'd be signing Whittaker to see if he'd be our first decent right back since.. Whittaker.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    A soon to be 33 year old who will demand a high wage, not so sure myself but if Lennon thinks he can do a job for us then fair enough.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    When I saw Jordon Forster wearing the armband on Saturday and SDG was playing, I felt the writing was on the wall for our Scottish Cup winning Captain
    Seems a strange thing to do irrespective if he has agreed a deal or not making that decision seems a little petty.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Would be happy with this. Whittaker is a cracking athlete and seems to have his head screwed on so I'm sure he's looked after himself. He may have lost half a yard of pace, but I'm sure he'd still be more than capable at this level.

I've not read the whole thread. But I got a txt this morning that Gray was being offered around the Prem team by his agent since Wednesday last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    A little part of me would die inside if David Gray signs for them.

I would also need a new username.
    Me too. And my guinea pigs names would have to be changed 😂

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I've not read the whole thread. But I got a txt this morning that Gray was being offered around the Prem team by his agent since Wednesday last week.
    Not a huge surprise to be honest, simply an agent doing his job for his player.

My take would be the offer that Hibs have made isn't what they were looking for.

Get a better offer from another club and then go back to Hibs and say better this or I sign elsewhere.

Hibs either stump up or player leaves.

If no better offer then he signs for Hibs again.

Hibs have seemingly made a lot of offers to players who are out of contract, my hope is they have put a time limit on these as the uncertainty could lead to delays in going for targets.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I'm at a loss as to what you mean by the last phrase, scoopyboy. Please explain and excuse my yamitis.
    Means never has been, never will be.

David Gray has done Hibs a great turn so far and I hope he stays but can't see how he is a better player than Steven Whittaker.

Whittaker the wing back.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Not a huge surprise to be honest, simply an agent doing his job for his player.

My take would be the offer that Hibs have made isn't what they were looking for.

Get a better offer from another club and then go back to Hibs and say better this or I sign elsewhere.

Hibs either stump up or player leaves.

If no better offer then he signs for Hibs again.

Hibs have seemingly made a lot of offers to players who are out of contract, my hope is they have put a time limit on these as the uncertainty could lead to delays in going for targets.
    I don't see anyone in the Premiership offering him a better financial deal than he'll get at Hibs. The offer of guaranteed first team football could be what he's after. A move to League one in England could be a shout, probably more money along with starting games.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't see anyone in the Premiership offering him a better financial deal than he'll get at Hibs. The offer of guaranteed first team football could be what he's after. A move to League one in England could be a shout, probably more money along with starting games.
    My understanding is when he came back to Hibs that was him back to Scotland for good.

Family wanted back to Scotland and I don't think he will go back south.

If he doesn't go back to England them I'm not sure many Scottish teams will better the terms offered.

Time will tell.

My understanding is when he came back to Hibs that was him back to Scotland for good.

Family wanted back to Scotland and I don't think he will go back south.

If he doesn't go back to England them I'm not sure many Scottish teams will better the terms offered.

Time will tell.
    I certainly hope that other scottish teams are not offering more than we are giving to our cup winning captain.

If we were signing a RB who has plenty recent Premier League and Championship experience down south that hadn't played for Hibs then I doubt anyone would be as unenthusiastic, simply because he played for us before and he played for Rangers.

Darren McGregor, our player of the season this year is 32 in August, should we offload him aswell? Need to stop living in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I certainly hope that other scottish teams are not offering more than we are giving to our cup winning captain.
    I have no idea of the terms offered to David Gray but length of contract may also come into the equation.

For example what is the better deal, one year at £1500 a week or a two year deal at £1200 a week?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

David Gray has done Hibs a great turn so far and I hope he stays but can't see how he is a better player than Steven Whittaker.
    Ta .
    Personally, although Steven has done really well for himself and is a model pro, I always thought he was defensively suspect - but that's just my opinion.
    Others who know this game much better than me clearly see something more than I do, so respect to him.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Who is his agent?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar

I'd agree SW is a more complete player. I'd reckon SDG is the better defender. That said he may have improved that aspect since he left us.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

This must be either all but done or a warning to sdg otherwise I can't see the sun running with it.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Would Gray not sign for the same terms? He's as big a club legend as we've got and I pray the club haven't oferered the man some embarrassing deal on less than what he currently earns.

Scottish Cup winning skipper, scorer of the the winning goal and and club legend. Stop fannying about and get him signed up.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Would hope there's room in the squad for both.

I'd like to see us going 3 at the back next season and having a choice of Mcgregor, Hanlon, Ambrose, SDG and potentially Mclean or a youngster as 5th choice.

Whittaker could play right wing back in that scenario.

Either way i'll trust Lennon to make the right decisions for the squad, but would be gutted if SDG leaves. Would rather a decision was made between now and Saturday though so he could get the send off he deserves

Left by mutual consent!
    Rumour .. the ****bos are interested in him too ..

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Would hope there's room in the squad for both.

I'd like to see us going 3 at the back next season and having a choice of Mcgregor, Hanlon, Ambrose, SDG and potentially Mclean or a youngster as 5th choice.

Whittaker could play right wing back in that scenario.

Either way i'll trust Lennon to make the right decisions for the squad, but would be gutted if SDG leaves. Would rather a decision was made between now and Saturday though so he could get the send off he deserves
    Me too.

I think Ryan Porteous will step up to first team squad as opposed to Brian McLean

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Whittaker scored 11 goals in 1 season for Rangers, Gray has 8 in his career.
    I was talking about when Whittaker was at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag7 View Post
    Rumour .. the ****bos are interested in him too ..
    Of course they are. We're interested in him!

Genuinely don't think the sun would leak this if it wasn't 99% done.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Would Gray not sign for the same terms? He's as big a club legend as we've got and I pray the club haven't oferered the man some embarrassing deal on less than what he currently earns.

Scottish Cup winning skipper, scorer of the the winning goal and and club legend. Stop fannying about and get him signed up.
    I would expect the better players would want a better deal than they're on right now, we're going to the SPL and I'd have thought 20% increase would be norm upon promotion. Obviously they may already be on SPL wages playing in the championship, so an increase is unlikely, because we don't know any figures it's all speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I would expect the better players would want a better deal than they're on right now, we're going to the SPL and I'd have thought 20% increase would be norm upon promotion. Obviously they may already be on SPL wages playing in the championship, so an increase is unlikely, because we don't know any figures it's all speculation.
    No way any of them are being offered 20% better wages IMO. There is no queue of clubs waiting to sign any of our out of contract players. They are all decent players and I hope we keep the majority but none of them are likely to get better offers than we are giving them. I would be surprised if any of them were being offered improved terms and I think a few of them (older ones like Fontaine) will be looking at reduced terms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whittaker can play RB, LB, RM, LM, RWB & LWB.

Signing him does not mean the end of Gray nor Stevenson. Although Whittaker is better than both. Very good pro, great role model and very versatile. Be stupid not to try and sign him.

Has always spoken fondly of Hibs, family still lives in Midlothian and im sure he would love to come back if the finances are in order.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    A 35 year old who is now broken.
    Man Utd are mega rich so spending money on wages on a player who breaks is no big deal, they will just replace him.
    Hibs are relatively poor so need to make every penny work for them.