hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: England Semi

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't have to fight a governing body that is hell-bent on maintaining a duopoly.
    Correct. In that case youth development should be taken as being a write-off regards them. I've been hearing noise from them since immediately after the Argentina 78 debacle. During that tournament they showed they couldn't run a menage so they're best ignored. No one can argue that whatever attempts they've made in the last 40 years have done anything good or even something approaching competent. They, as an institution, are useless dicks.

That would leave the govt or some private money to provide the means to improve the game. Private money people lack all altruism these days unless its attached to a tax-break scheme/scam ao nothing doing there. There are no Carnegies around.

I don't think the govt are all that interested in football or even understands that it can be a positive thing in a countries culture. A nation wide programme would produce players, education in terms of health and just let kids let of steam. Don't think they have appetite to get involved though.

In short I'm not too optimistic.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Supporting your national team should be the default position of every Scottish football fan, when they cant do that, and they take great delight when we lose, its a bloody disgrace and they get the team they deserve.
    I’ll play devils advocate here.
    Maybe the Tartan Army get the team they deserve. Decades of mismanagement and dismal failure only enlivened by the occasional shock result against one of the world giants. If Scotland were a club side the fans would have been demanding change years ago. The Tartan Army were content to watch mediocre pish on the park as long as they were the centre of attention off it.
    Discuss.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Correct. In that case youth development should be taken as being a write-off regards them. I've been hearing noise from them since immediately after the Argentina 78 debacle. During that tournament they showed they couldn't run a menage so they're best ignored. No one can argue that whatever attempts they've made in the last 40 years have done anything good or even something approaching competent. They, as an institution, are useless dicks.

That would leave the govt or some private money to provide the means to improve the game. Private money people lack all altruism these days unless its attached to a tax-break scheme/scam ao nothing doing there. There are no Carnegies around.

I don't think the govt are all that interested in football or even understands that it can be a positive thing in a countries culture. A nation wide programme would produce players, education in terms of health and just let kids let of steam. Don't think they have appetite to get involved though.

In short I'm not too optimistic.
    What an excellent post.
    The only private individual I can think is Tom Hunter & there is no way he would get involved in the current set up, as for the Govt they don't give damn about football or sport in general unless there is a photo opportunity involved. What legacy did Scotland get from the Glasgow Commonwealth games ? Answers on a postcard.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Maybe the Tartan Army get the team they deserve. Decades of mismanagement and dismal failure only enlivened by the occasional shock result against one of the world giants. If Scotland were a club side the fans would have been demanding change years ago. The Tartan Army were content to watch mediocre pish on the park as long as they were the centre of attention off it.
    Discuss.
    Oooft. Hadn't thought of it that way.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Discuss.
    Naw, yer just a dafty.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    They didn't 'blow it'. They went into the tournament with expectations probably lower than for any England side at a major tournament. Few would have expected them to get further than the last 16 so they had a very good tournament and ultimately lost out to a more experienced and stronger side. Credit to them.
    They beat 3 mediocre teams at best, drew with a decent team and were pumped by 2 good teams hardly a magnificent achievement. Never will they get a better chance. They blew it and know it.
    45 AND RISING

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Naw, yer just a dafty.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Discuss.
    That's why I stopped going. I don't trust the SFA with the national side or in their part of the promotion of the game from any angle at all, as well as development.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_nation View Post
    They beat 3 mediocre teams at best, drew with a decent team and were pumped by 2 good teams hardly a magnificent achievement. Never will they get a better chance. They blew it and know it.
    They were the 2nd youngest team in The World Cup.
    They at least have the genuine potential to improve and to go on and not just compete with the best in the world but realistically win an actual tournament.

Feeling quietly smug from the comfort of your amchair in Scotland is all very well, but what do you advocate our national team can do to get anywhere near the present England side in terms of quality?
    What do you advocate our national team can do to not just comfortably qualify for the world cup (as they did) but get to the semi-finals (as they did) of the next World Cup?

They were the 2nd youngest team in The World Cup.
    They at least have the genuine potential to improve and to go on and not just compete with the best in the world but realistically win an actual tournament.

Feeling quietly smug from the comfort of your amchair in Scotland is all very well, but what do you advocate our national team can do to get anywhere near the present England side in terms of quality?
    What do you advocate our national team can do to not just comfortably qualify for the world cup (as they did) but get to the semi-finals (as they did) of the next World Cup?
    Starting to think that poster was right about you and the Scotland In Union forum the other day. Very weird on a Scottish football forum to highlight 'they' when referring to England, and 'our' when referring to Scotland in the way you have just done.

You do know this isn't a political forum, right?
    Last edited by Big_Franck; 12-07-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Starting to think that poster was right about you and the Scotland In Union forum the other day. Very weird on a Scottish football forum to highlight 'they' when referring to England, and 'our' when referring to Scotland in the way you have just done.

I highlighted the "They" to mimic the poster who first referred England as "they". It was aimed at that poster...Not to make a special case for England.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post

You are absolutely right, bud. it isn't a political forum, but sometimes the "Wee Scotland team" mentality gets to me.
    I do apologise.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    You are absolutely right, bud. it isn't a political forum, but sometimes the "Wee Scotland team" mentality gets to me.
    I do apologise.
    Is this a .net first someone getting theirknickers in a twist over the use of they to describe them
    45 AND RISING

Is this a .net first someone getting theirknickers in a twist over the use of they to describe them
    You might be right. I can be a bit of a Neil Lennon in over-reacting!

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    I'll stick my head up in response to the posters who think we should all support Scotland. Hibs football fan, not a Scotland football fan.

They're different sports. In the same way that I'm not a Scotland rugby, badminton, cricket, rowing or elephant polo fan.

Although I am always happy to see a rangers, celtc or hearts player/manager lose at anything. I don't know many folk that are Scotland fans - in that they go to the games - and the few I do know, I don't particularly like. I can think of one guy in particular, big hearts and Scotland fan, and I enjoy winding him up whenever hearts or Scotland lose so to that extent I suppose I enjoy it more when the team loses than when they win.

I also think my view is probably coloured by the SFA/Scottish football media being so beholden to the old firm. In general if the Scottish football media/SFA/old firm are 'For' something, I'll be 'Against' it.

I don't understand why Hibs are expected to release our players to the national team. Why are our 'assets' exposed to the risk of injury - and the even bigger risk of tapping up by the old firm dominated set-up - without recompense? Club involvement with the national game should be entirely voluntary. I don't pay my gate money for Hibs to develop players for international football. There are posters here (even in this thread) who are against the Hibs women's team getting any resources from the club - that's exactly how I feel about the international team getting resources from the club (I'm pro the Hibs women's team though).

Left by mutual consent!
    That's an especially 'anyone but England' take on it. In reality, they qualified from their group with a game to spare, fielded a shadow side against Belgium, won a high-pressure penalty shoot out that their more experienced predecessors would most likely have lost, turned in an impressively mature display against Sweden and came within 20 minutes of reaching the World Cup final against a stronger Croatia side. You can only beat what's in front of you and I imagine all these 'mediocre' teams they beat sit comfortably above Scotland in the world rankings. We're in no position to pass judgement and it would take a particularly mean-spirited Scot to deny that for such a young squad, from whom so little was expected, to reach the World Cup semi-finals was a fine achievement. The fact that the English media, so often quick to hang, draw and quarter an England side which falls short at a major tournament, have instead lauded their achievements underlines what a feelgood factor they have returned to English international football. When was the last time anyone could say that about our international team?

That's an especially 'anyone but England' take on it. In reality, they qualified from their group with a game to spare, fielded a shadow side against Belgium, won a high-pressure penalty shoot out that their more experienced predecessors would most likely have lost, turned in an impressively mature display against Sweden and came within 20 minutes of reaching the World Cup final against a stronger Croatia side. You can only beat what's in front of you and I imagine all these 'mediocre' teams they beat sit comfortably above Scotland in the world rankings. We're in no position to pass judgement and it would take a particularly mean-spirited Scot to deny that for such a young squad, from whom so little was expected, to reach the World Cup semi-finals was a fine achievement. The fact that the English media, so often quick to hang, draw and quarter an England side which falls short at a major tournament, have instead lauded their achievements underlines what a feelgood factor they have returned to English international football. When was the last time anyone could say that about our international team?
    Around nineteen pancake?

This is such an empty argument that you're making; 'Scottish people aren't allowed to make an objective analysis of England's world cup run because the Scottish national team didn't qualify'. Eh?

England got lucky with the group draw they got, the half of the draw they were in after qualification, and the state of the teams that they met when they got there. When they came up against Croatia they encountered superior players and came up short. I don't see how you can dispute this. Unless this is all about something else than football.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This is such an empty argument that you're making; 'Scottish people aren't allowed to make an objective analysis of England's world cup run because the Scottish national team didn't qualify'. Eh?

England got lucky with the group draw they got, the half of the draw they were in after qualification, and the state of the teams that they met when they got there. When they came up against Croatia they encountered superior players and came up short. I don't see how you can dispute this. Unless this is all about something else than football.

@hibs.net private member

Absolute rubbish. They didn't blow it - they did their best and it wasn't enough, that's not blowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Absolute rubbish. They didn't blow it - they did their best and it wasn't enough, that's not blowing it.
    They lost to a country of under 4 million who are way below them in the rankings. They massively blew it.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    They didn't 'blow it'. They went into the tournament with expectations probably lower than for any England side at a major tournament. Few would have expected them to get further than the last 16 so they had a very good tournament and ultimately lost out to a more experienced and stronger side. Credit to them.
    Their population is 13 times that of Croatias and the English game is awash with money. By any criteria you choose to look at they should have been heavy favourites to win that game.

While i agree that they surpassed the public expectations before the tournament (mainly because their recent efforts in 2014 and 2016 have been utter embarrassments) the idea that are heroic underdogs is laughable. They’ve had a good tournament but they blew a massive opportunity.

For me they blew the best chance they had to win the world cup in the last 50 years, without any shadow of a doubt. It is extremely unikely they'll get a route to the final like they had again in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    They lost to a country of under 4 million who are way below them in the rankings. They massively blew it.
    They lost to a good side who might yet end up World Cup winners.

As a fan of Hibs and Scotland I'd like to think I know a thing or 2 about blowing it. That's not what they did the other night.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    Their population is 13 times that of Croatias and the English game is awash with money. By any criteria you choose to look at they should have been heavy favourites to win that game.

While i agree that they surpassed the public expectations before the tournament (mainly because their recent efforts in 2014 and 2016 have been utter embarrassments) the idea that are heroic underdogs is laughable. They’ve had a good tournament but they blew a massive opportunity.
    You can't blow an opportunity if you are not good enough. It may be argued that by size they should be better but at the moment they are not.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    They lost to a good side who might yet end up World Cup winners.

As a fan of Hibs and Scotland I'd like to think I know a thing or 2 about blowing it. That's not what they did the other night.

That's my point exactly. It was a great opportunity with the easy draws/route to semi etc. but they were not quite up to it and that is definitely not blowing it. It's called going as far in a competition as you are able.

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    The population doesn't matter. Only 11 men can play. Croatia have world class players in their side.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post

How much bigger than Croatia is Russia?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    How much bigger than Croatia is Russia?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jeezo - is the ABE vs Eng fan club thing *still* going?