hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: baseball

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I was at Citi Field on Saturday for Mets v Marlins. Good grief it was murder.....and Baltic! And $7.50 for a bottle of water....wtf!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was at Citi Field on Saturday for Mets v Marlins. Good grief it was murder.....and Baltic! And $7.50 for a bottle of water....wtf!
    American sports venues are outrageous in price.

Nice start for my Reds this year. Mainly due to improved starting pitching and a (for now) lights out bullpen.

Our best player has barely got going yet. Excited, but not getting ahead of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    Hard to look past the Cubs (feel sick saying that) again this year. The Red Sox have the hitting but not the pitching.

Going to be another tough year for my Reds but the rebuild is nearing fruition so looking for some of the young talent to start contributing soon with eyes on '18 and '19.
    Its been a horrible season so far for the champs. They served up a new low last night, superstar pitcher John Lester was an absolute embarrassment as the Pirates scored 10 runs in the first Offense is no better, Im not sure we have a batter over .280. Looks like Houston and the Dodgers are the powerhouses so far, although I havent seen Houston play.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/241390...game_pk=491432

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Its been a horrible season so far for the champs. They served up a new low last night, superstar pitcher John Lester was an absolute embarrassment as the Pirates scored 10 runs in the first Offense is no better, Im not sure we have a batter over .280. Looks like Houston and the Dodgers are the powerhouses so far, although I havent seen Houston play.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/241390...game_pk=491432
    It's certainly not been a first half that many predicted for the Cubs although the offense should pick up 2nd half. They do look weak in the pitching department though.

Houston are on fire, good on offense and defense. They have such a young team they could be in with a real shot this year. Dodgers look good as well and Washington could do damage with an improved bullpen.

Steady improvement for the Reds. Have been about average bar a 10/11 game losing streak in June.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Was at the MLB Battlegrounds event in Hyde Park last week - was a quietly encouraging attendance, though probably not has high as the organisers had hoped.

The aim is to have a proper MLB game in the UK by 2019 - on the evidence of the Battlegrounds event, they've a ways to go if they'll attract a stadium full for a game. I also doubt the scope for a proper game here, unless they do similarly what they do when they play in Australia/Japan (have a regular season series take place during Spring Training). Otherwise the logistics probably don't pan out.

It's been an odd year for the Red Sox thus far. Ruled out early on for not having the pitching, yet it's the pitching performances that currently have the 3.5 game lead. Sale has been exceptionally good, as has Porcello, with consistent relief coming out of the pen. The rotation is definitely good enough to hit the postseason, but it'll be a tough ask to stop Houston if they keep playing the way they are...I keep expecting the momentum to come undone a little.

I feel a little dirty for saying it, but I'm rooting for the Yankee in the HR derby - Judge is a phenomenal talent and I can't wait to see what he does in a hit-happy environment.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Damn that Aaron Judge is outrageous.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Heading to New York at the end of September and, as fate would have it, my team (Jays) are playing at Yankee Stadium 3 out of the 5 days we're there. Result! Has anyone been, and do you have any tips for the best part of the stadium to sit in to make the most of the occasion? For instance, is a higher level nearer the diamond going to be better or worse than a lower level a bit further out? There is a standing area but I'm not sure I'd fancy standing for potentially 3 hours or more, and the bleachers look like the place to be for atmosphere but I'm not convinced they'd be too comfy to sit on for all that time either. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers :

Try get behind the plate as much as you can. Depends on how much you want to pay, games will change price depending on time, opponent and who's scheduled to play.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    American sports venues are outrageous in price.
    Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    Tell me about it.

$26 for two beers at RB arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Galahibby View Post
    Heading to New York at the end of September and, as fate would have it, my team (Jays) are playing at Yankee Stadium 3 out of the 5 days we're there. Result! Has anyone been, and do you have any tips for the best part of the stadium to sit in to make the most of the occasion? For instance, is a higher level nearer the diamond going to be better or worse than a lower level a bit further out? There is a standing area but I'm not sure I'd fancy standing for potentially 3 hours or more, and the bleachers look like the place to be for atmosphere but I'm not convinced they'd be too comfy to sit on for all that time either. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers :

There are Legends Premier seats you won't be able to afford for a baseball game but if NYCFC MLS club are playing you can sit there for $300 maybe. You will see the same place people pay $6000 to sit in. Nice lounge with food and booze and probably top shelf liquor. I almost went last season but my wife had a conflict.

Go to a baseball game in regular seats and an NYCFC game in Legends Premier seats. Harman Lounge etc.

Live it up!

$26 for two beers at RB arena.
    Stella is $13 at Staples served to the premium seats but in Lexus Club the decent liquor is actually quite reasonable.
    Galaxy and next year LAFC is better, with food and drink included in season ticket prices which are cheap to begin with.

Mayweather vs McGregor is above $10k for seats I could get and I am not sure that comes with anything included.

A beer will be $700 and a hotdog $250. Ketchup and Mustard is $40 a squirt.

Stella is $13 at Staples served to the premium seats but in Lexus Club the decent liquor is actually quite reasonable.
    Galaxy and next year LAFC is better, with food and drink included in season ticket prices which are cheap to begin with.

Mayweather vs McGregor is above $10k for seats I could get and I am not sure that comes with anything included.

Insane.

I immediately lose respect for anyone who's willing to pay those prices, no matter how rich they are/aren't.

Try get behind the plate as much as you can. Depends on how much you want to pay, games will change price depending on time, opponent and who's scheduled to play.
    There are Legends Premier seats you won't be able to afford for a baseball game but if NYCFC MLS club are playing you can sit there for $300 maybe. You will see the same place people pay $6000 to sit in. Nice lounge with food and booze and probably top shelf liquor. I almost went last season but my wife had a conflict.

Go to a baseball game in regular seats and an NYCFC game in Legends Premier seats. Harman Lounge etc.

Live it up!
    Thanks for your replies, guys It's probably less about affording the expensive seats and more about being willing to pay a fortune though. For the price of one legends premier ticket I can have the pleasure (?!) of watching Hibs for an entire season (although, to be fair, there have been times when I'd have gladly paid extra to have the misery limited to 3 hours a season ) My two pals really aren't baseball fans, but have both said they'd like to go for the experience, so I don't want to take the proverbial with them by asking them to shell out too much either. There are some decent-ish seats relatively near the action for around the $100 mark so I think we'll maybe just go with them. I think I'd be pushing my luck to throw an MLS game into the equation too though, so that'll maybe just have to wait til next time.

To be fair to that dump in the Bronx, it's got good views no matter where you sit.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I immediately lose respect for anyone who's willing to pay those prices, no matter how rich they are/aren't.
    I'll manage to live without your respect.

The Rays sell the family silver again but there's something about them. 3/4 in Houston.

They'll sneak into the play offs and go far. You heard it here first.

🍊🍊🍊

The Dodgers on target to break the Cubs 111 year old record of 116 wins on current pace. 42 games to go. You just know they will blow it when it counts though.

Edit...two weeks on and the Dodgers have collapsed! 1-9 in their last ten games including seven straight losses. They might not even win their division, after all the earlier talk about breaking records.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 08-09-2017 at 04:16 PM.

Some historic stuff going on in the major leagues tonight on bt sport. Indians going for their ridiculous 23rd consecutive win, and just now the Cardinals have a 2-1 lead over the champion Cubs in the 5th, both fighting for the division.

edit Wow what a 6th inning! Cubs 8 Cardinals 2. The division title getting closer.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 15-09-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Indians lose.

Incredible run by the Indians.

Dodgers fell apart a bit in September so doesn't look like they will break the Cubs record.

National League MVP race very so close with 4/5 guys looking like the could win it.

This year for Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This year for Cleveland.
    I agree. Every facet of their game the last 2 months has been incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by HibernianJK View Post
    I agree. Every facet of their game the last 2 months has been incredible.
    I've backed Cleveland ever since Baseball came on the telly in 1997 or whatever. They had some batting line-up in those days.

'Mon the Cleveland!

This is some game!

Houston beat the Red Sox in Boston. TV coverage missed the bottom of the ninth because of adverts! Shows what's important in that country.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Houston beat the Red Sox in Boston. TV coverage missed the bottom of the ninth because of adverts! Shows what's important in that country.
    Cubs Nationals super tight. 0-0 in the 6th, series tied at 1-1.
    Schwarbers error is a horror.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 09-10-2017 at 10:18 PM.