hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotty Allan

Allan performed for half a season at Dundee United and one and a half season's at Hibs. At West Brom, Celtic and Rotherham he has done zero. He's not a young prospect in footballing terms anymore, and has wasted most of his career on benches, in reserves and chatting on phones to pretty awful agents or whatever other cretins have been advising him.

I can't see him fulfilling anything like his potential now, which is a shame because he's some player. The return Hibs have got on Allan's sale is probably one of the great bargains in Scottish football, and we'd be pushing our luck to think we'd get a similar one in a second spell.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd take him back, the lad is different class.
    I find this difficult to square with your apparent loathing and constant denigration of Jason Cummings.

Of the two there is absolutely no doubt in my mind as is to who is more deserving of our support.

I find the Scott Allan love in a bit strange in general terms.

His history points to him being nothing but trouble for the majority of his career.

Rather than viewing his troubles before and after Hibs as the aberration, it would probably be more representative to view his time at Hibs as the aberration from the norm.

On that basis I wouldn't have him back

Scott Allan is a great player and one I would love see play for us again.

I won't hold it against him that he left Dundee United for West Brom, who were in the premier league at the time.

Nor will I hold against him that he wanted to sign for the club he has supported since he was a boy and play with his best mate (Halliday).

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I'd have him back.

He's no a Hibs fan, never was, so while I was disappointed he wanted to leave, I didn't hate him for it. He's a footballer, he's entitled to try to better himself, but it's no worked out for him.

He was our best player for a year. I'd happily have a player like that back in the team.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    He wouldnt get into our first choice midfield, suppose he coule put the cones out or something. Had a chance, blew it, th rew it back into the clubs face, no thank ya. And he isnt as good as he thinks he is.
    I loved watching Scott Allan play however there's more to having a player than just for skill. He sounds like he may not be exactly 'one of the boys'.
    Give me a team of players that play for each other every time.
    He'll probably get his 'dream move' at long last.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Scott Allan is a great player and one I would love see play for us again.

I won't hold it against him that he left Dundee United for West Brom, who were in the premier league at the time.

Nor will I hold against him that he wanted to sign for the club he has supported since he was a boy and play with his best mate (Halliday).
    Would you hold it against him about our start to last season which were caused by his antics?

He can rot as far as I'm concerned. Anyone not prepared to devote 100% to Hibs shouldn't be considered. He had his chance here and became a fans favourite fairly quickly, then he decided we weren't good enough for him and if that was the case then it's the case now.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Decent player on his game,nothing more wouldn't rush back for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    I find this difficult to square with your apparent loathing and constant denigration of Jason Cummings.

Of the two there is absolutely no doubt in my mind as is to who is more deserving of our support.

I find the Scott Allan love in a bit strange in general terms.

His history points to him being nothing but trouble for the majority of his career.

Rather than viewing his troubles before and after Hibs as the aberration, it would probably be more representative to view his time at Hibs as the aberration from the norm.

On that basis I wouldn't have him back
    Do you know of any trouble he's caused at Celtic or perhaps just not good enough, burned his bridges with us, knew it after the diddy cup game and went for more money as we wouldn't sell to newhun? God knows what is wrong with Scott Allen but he's got a bit of a Hartley thing going on about him and when it clicks at the right club they will benefit big time if he screws the but. (Hartley was a cocky prick at us too)

Off topic but imagine in some kind of disturbed universe Allan having the game of his life beside his pal "****ed it up" Halliday and us losing the final. No henderson there to deliver, no Stokes on 🔥. Thank god our board and Leanne Dempster held firm and told they ********s to bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Would you hold it against him about our start to last season which were caused by his antics?
    To be honest, no.

The squad should of been professional enough to deal with it and to blame it all on Allan is people not taking responsibility.

He never started the game against Rangers, which was the first game iirc and after that he was sold?

When he played for us after the request he never lacked effort

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Decent player on his game,nothing more wouldn't rush back for him.
    He was our best player by a country mile the year we finished above Falkirk and the Huns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
    He can rot as far as I'm concerned. Anyone not prepared to devote 100% to Hibs shouldn't be considered. He had his chance here and became a fans favourite fairly quickly, then he decided we weren't good enough for him and if that was the case then it's the case now.
    What game did SA not give 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Delivered View Post
    He was our best player by a country mile the year we finished above Falkirk and the Huns.
    That tells you how poor the rest were. And it wasn't a country mile in my opinion.

I don't even think he was our best midfielder, I was delighted when we got McGeouch as part of the deal for him.

That tells you how poor the rest were. And it wasn't a country mile in my opinion.
    We had a lot of very good performers that season but Allan was head and shoulders above them all.

Wouldn't want him back, the way he acted on the pitch when we played Sevco, given the hype at the time, was a real kick in the teeth. He is not good enough to sell our soul for.

We were a better team once he left and I have no appetite for watching the Scott Allan show again. It consists of him ignoring all the easy passes to attempt the World Cup ball that either doesn't work or his team mates aren't good enough to read. It works from time to time then there is mass hysteria about how good he is.

No denying he is a good player when he is in form but how many games in his career has he actually performed in and what would it be this time? He wants to leave on the eve of a cup final or God forbid if we end up in the play offs, his concern will always be personal progression regardless of the timing or effect on his club.

By doing what exactly? Handing in a transfer request because he was apparently told we wouldn't step in his way if a bigger club came in for him and that was the condition he signed in the first place? He couldn't have been that much a problem for Stubbs to take him again. He didn't like Rotherham, who would? Saying that I can't see us signing him again, he will go to the likes of Dundee on loan, be brilliant and stall again going back to Celtic before eventually signing for a club on a perm then ultimately moving to rangers.
    Just proves how unprofessional he is. Didn't want to stay and prove himself at Rotherham because he didn't like it there ah diddums. Hope he rots. He was all set to sign for our rivals through the Daily Ranger. He's a footballing embarrassment the way he uses football clubs without a backward glance.

Glory Glory

It never fails to amuse me how fans see/remember what they want to.

If they dislike a person it is irrelevant how they perform, they will always judge them based on their disliking towards them.

Scott Allan was fantastic for us, absolutely fantastic.

https://youtu.be/0FuwqSVXLn4

For anyone who forgot what he was like.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    We had a lot of very good performers that season but Allan was head and shoulders above them all.
    In your opinion and others but not mine,he was decent in flashes but nowhere near as good as being portrayed. People remember what they want to and like to forget everything else.I have nothing against him.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 11-01-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Why did Stubbs take him to Rotherham then?
    Because he was willing to overlook the antics towards the end of Allan's time at Hibs in the hope he'd make a similar impact on the pitch to the one he made at ER.

Stubbs was wrong, signing Allan for Rotherham was a mistake, the kind of mistake he made a bit too often in his 2 months or so at that club.
    Last edited by Smartie; 11-01-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Agreed, even when he was playing well the rest of the team often lacked the skill and vision to latch onto his passes. That's not his fault but why have someone who is too advanced for his team mates if it becomes counter productive.

He was the best player in that league by a country mile, nevermind the best player in our team.

Left by mutual consent! WS Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Allan performed for half a season at Dundee United and one and a half season's at Hibs.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not just the one season he was here? Signed in July 2014 and sold August 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He was great for us, and it's petty and churlish to dismiss that because of the circumstances under which he left. (Which turned out to be an amazing deal for us.)

But anybody who thinks we'd get the same player back, playing to the same level, is seriously deluding themselves. Allan is one of those players for whom every circumstance has to be just right before he performs effectively. Him, Stubbs and Hibs were a perfect fit, and he was too silly and lacked the self-awareness to see that, and now he's burned his boats with probably both those parties.

He has no future at Celtic under Rogers, who will probably get him off the payroll. The Huns might swallow their pride, but I doubt it, and I could see him back at Dundee United.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    He's a luxury we don't need at the moment, talented player but he doesn't seem to have playing as his absolute priority.

We have a pretty settled dressing room just now and I don't think what he brought to us at the time he was desperate to get to Ibrox particularly helped us so a no from me. Good player though when he wants or gets a chance.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by WS Hibs View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it not just the one season he was here? Signed in July 2014 and sold August 2015.
    I'd say you're correct.

It's mental how players seem to split our support these days.

Lewis Stevenson, Dominique Malonga, Andrew Shinnie, Grant Holt.

Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion but I'm surprised to see how many folk weren't that mad on Scott Allan.

I mean, I like Stevenson and Holt but I can understand why some don't. But Scott Allan was quality.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He should have stayed with Hibs, picked up a Scottish cup medal and moved south for big money through the summer.

Let him rot.
    The world doesn't work like that. If he'd stayed at Hibs we might not have won the cup, and we categorically would not have won it in the manner in which we did. It was perfect in every way.

Wee 'Scotty' Allan can rot
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    It never fails to amuse me how fans see/remember what they want to.

If they dislike a person it is irrelevant how they perform, they will always judge them based on their disliking towards them.

Scott Allan was fantastic for us, absolutely fantastic.

https://youtu.be/0FuwqSVXLn4

For anyone who forgot what he was like.
    That sums him up though, doesn't it? Looks great in a youtube video but when the going gets tough he was missing. He was great against Rangers, Hearts and Dundee United that season, less so against Raith/Falkirk etc.

You think he would've been killing himself like Fyvie and Henderson at 2-1 down in the cup final? No chance.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I'd take him back, the lad is different class.
    Me too, in a heart beat.